• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders endorses Hillary Clinton for president

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

Imagine the map in October..

Hillary in Florida.
Obama in North Carolina.
Warren in Ohio.
Sanders in Iowa/New Hampshire.
Uncle Joe in Pennsylvania.

That's a killer lineup. The GOP is outmatched, out-organized, lacks a data plan..

Ohio will settle for no less than Hillary, Joe or Obama. We're entitled fucks in presidiential election years.

HylianTom

Banned
Ohio will settle for no less than Hillary, Joe or Obama. We're entitled fucks in presidiential election years.
Oh, I'm imagining the whole team bouncing around the electoral map, like whammies on Press Your Luck. They're all going to get around. :)

Volimar

she is old... he is older

more Veeps have died in office of old age than Presidents

That's pretty far down the list of reasons. He doesn't bring much to the ticket. He's endorsed her. He will (presumably) campaign for her. The people that he will sway into voting for her will vote for her just from that. And since he endorsed her, everyone that he has turned off won't come back just because he's VP. At the end of the day, the dems are going to want a Vice President that will tow the party line, and I think Sanders is seen as too much of a wild card to rely on him to do that.

dLMN8R

What progressive legislation has Hillary proven she can pass?

?

In pure numbers, she was more effective than Sanders:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-more-effective-lawmaker-than-bernie-sanders/

In terms of what legislation she directly sponsored, the Fair Pay act and the Stimulus are super important:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/s181
https://www.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/senate-bill/1/

And of course she's been fighting for universal healthcare forever.

dLMN8R

also, something something CHIP

Oh nice, I wasn't familiar with this:

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/03/giving-hillary-credit-for-schip/

In that same story, The AP’s Beth Fouhy concluded, "While Kennedy is widely viewed as the driving force behind the program, by all accounts the former first lady’s pressure was crucial." She quoted Nick Littlefield, who had been a senior health adviser to Kennedy, as saying, "we relied on her, worked with her and she was pivotal in encouraging the White House to do it."

SHOCKING that Hillary was attacked under false pretenses!

LosDaddie

Banned
?

In pure numbers, she was more effective than Sanders:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-more-effective-lawmaker-than-bernie-sanders/

In terms of what legislation she directly sponsored, the Fair Pay act and the Stimulus are super important:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/s181
https://www.congress.gov/bill/111th-congress/senate-bill/1/

And of course she's been fighting for universal healthcare forever.

None of that makes the case that she's "proven the ability to pass legislation" like you claimed. She was not in the Senate for Fair Pay, or the Stimulus, or CHIP

i hope trump wins.

ss7xwiu.gif

Well it's about time. I know the diehard fans are gonna freak out (Reddit has many fine examples) but hopefully this helps unify the Democrat party.

Holmes

I'm really disturbed by the people on social media calling Sanders a sellout or saying he did this under the threat of violence. Were they even listening to him today? Do they care more about the idea of Bernie Sanders rather than what he fought for? It's really sad. These people are far removed from reality. Luckily, I think they're a small minority, despite using the platform of social media to be very vocal about their opinions.

None of that makes the case that she's "proven the ability to pass legislation" like you claimed. She was not in the Senate for Fair Pay, or the Stimulus, or CHIP

You get that the President's not in the Senate either, right? She's demonstrated an ability to get legislation passed. She did it with CHIP. She did it with ASFA. She did it with the 9/11 First Responder's Bill. She worked to expand the Family Medical Leave Act. A lot of this, ya, she did as First Lady. Which, you know, doesn't negate the fact that she was a part of making it a success. Having her in actual elected office will allow her to use the bully pulpit even more effectively. She knows how to work with the Democrats in Congress.

I'm really disturbed by the people on social media calling Sanders a sellout or saying he did this under the threat of violence. Were they even listening to him today? Do they care more about the idea of Bernie Sanders rather than what he fought for? It's really sad. These people are far removed from reality. Luckily, I think they're a small minority, despite using the platform of social media to be very vocal about their opinions.

Those people only supported Sanders because he was anti-establishment. His actual policies were irrelevant to them compared to their goal of "sticking it to the man."

Crosseyes

Banned
I'm at least happy for the direction Bernie has taken the conversation for the Democratic party. Taking on issues that will be of the utmost importance going forward like college tuitions and living wages.

So many like me are coming out with a degree (in engineering no less) are underemployed and already staring down a 1000+ dollar past due bill in our email that we will have to continue to ignore.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I'm hyped for you American fellows, feels like there's some good things that are coming. And I'm not even American.

Cool, now make him VP and clean house

It would be cool on paper, but I suppose they are trying to go for different demographics and I'm pretty sure Bernie can do more in Senate.

Moosichu

Cool, now make him VP and clean house

Untrue.

But a lot of those policies are going to come to fruition when they wouldn't have otherwise. As a lefty the situation of the left in US is far better than anyone could have ever hoped for right now.

Seriously, you don't want a situation like the one we have in the UK right now, it's dire :(

flkraven

Don't get this. People are free to support who they feel represents them best. Do you feel better about yourself because you happen to support a more popular candidate? It's tribal fanboyism at its worst.

They are free to support who they want, just as we are free to criticize those people for it

boiled goose

good with gravy
But a lot of those policies are going to come to fruition when they wouldn't have otherwise. As a lefty the situation of the left in US is far better than anyone could have ever hoped for right now.

Seriously, you don't want a situation like the one we have in the UK right now, it's dire :(

I'm not sure I agree the situation is far better than anyone could have hoped for. We are at a pretty big fork with vastly different outcomes and the two most disliked presidential candidates in history running.

If this is as good as it gets, then you have pretty low standards.

They are free to support who they want, just as we are free to criticize those people for it

Who is "we"?
Feel free to criticize them and disagree on policy. "They are so adorable" is not criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom