• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Veelk

Banned
There's also that wind cloak. I'd imagine him to be a rather difficult target to hit with that thing on. And yeah that feather sword is powerful. Wasn't he cutting off a couple of troll heads with one swing of it? And beat that frog horse as well.

Yup. Anyway, you're almost to my second favorite part of the whole series. The War arc, though it arguably started already. Keep reading.

Second stronger regular human dude has to be the Bakiraka guy
That the same guy that Guts tossed around in the past and beat up Casca?
Yup. Anyway, you're almost to my second favorite part of the whole series. The War arc, though it arguably started already. Keep reading.
Is that more about the machinations of Griffith 2.0 and his merry band? Do I get to see more
embroidered Tumblr fan art created by Charlotte? Does she bake him more cakes?

Veelk

Banned
Is that more about the machinations of Griffith 2.0 and his merry band? Do I get to see more
embroidered Tumblr fan art created by Charlotte? Does she bake him more cakes?
She made him tea a couple chapters ago, iirc. I find your enthusiasm of her doting on Griffith hilarious tho.

I find that shit hilarious and certain aspects of it just creepy. The way she just had all these images of Griffith with angel wings was creepy. It's like all she thinks about is Griffith, she's his obsessed groupie fan girl. I also just find it funny how she treats deranged demigod skin suit Griffith like he's an actual human being. He's this thing that even Nosferatu Zodd kisses up to and here this woman is making sure he gets cake, it's just funny if you really think about it.

That the same guy that Guts tossed around in the past and beat up Casca?

Don't judge him for his fight against Guts, he battled the number 1 almost non-human mofo in the world.
Plus he has improved since then, he also looks more humble and knowledgeable now, oh and he has some amazing new deadly toys.

That must be revealed in a chapter I didn't reach yet. He's just still taking orders from the Demon King if I'm remembering right and hunting down Griffith.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
berserk borrowing them scarecrows from ds is great. Also that one piece line. lol

Is it just me or does Berserk feel like reading a JRPG. You have the story elements and then you just have battle sequences where it just seems like the main characters are just level grinding. I'm on volume 31 now and
everybody's battle proficiency fucking sky rocketed. You got Serpico owning fools, Isidro is kicking ass and even Farnese is useful with her vine snakes.
Guts is well, he's Guts, Guts solos. Schierke is a god damn black mage and I guess Puck and Ivalera are the party healers.
Even new dude Roderick is stepping in putting in work.

Veelk

Banned
Is it just me or does Berserk feel like reading a JRPG. You have the story elements and then you just have battle sequences where it just seems like the main characters are just level grinding. I'm on volume 31 now and
everybody's battle proficiency fucking sky rocketed. You got Serpico owning fools, Isidro is kicking ass and even Farnese is useful with her vine snakes.
Guts is well, he's Guts, Guts solos. Schierke is a god damn black mage and I guess Puck and Ivalera are the party healers.
Even new dude Roderick is stepping in putting in work.

Yeah, people have been talking about Gut's group in those terms for a bit now. I personally don't mind it, and Miura does intermix the fighting with the story fairly often enough.

Yeah, people have been talking about Gut's group in those terms for a bit now. I personally don't mind it, and Miura does intermix the fighting with the story fairly often enough.
I'm not even complaining since Berserk would make a great JRPG. Just make the combat like something out of a Tales of game and I'd be happy.

I don't know how there's been so few Berserk games. Is it really just the two Yukes games?
It really makes no sense since it's a franchise that works for almost every genre. Hell you could even give Griffith his own Civilization style game and it would work just fine. Shit he can even lose and still just be reborn prettier than the last time.

O...M...G! they're actually off the boat now!? this is indeed a joyous day. I wonder what our Christmas gift would be...?

btw, sorta off topic, but regarding HXH, I remember there was this rumor about Togashi was hooked on FFXI during the Ants arc, was there any truth to this nonsense?

Someone post the 'that was quick' fake translation image please?
Been looking for it everywhere @_@

QsjBcUv.png

I've been on volume 33 for a bit and Guts is now on a boat. At least before that I managed to see
Guts team up with mystical Schierke and ride Zodd like a fucking Unicorn into battle against a demonic thunder cloud.
I think now with where I'm at it'll be more about the adventures of
Griffith 2.0 and his merry band of war demons and his Tumblr waifu Princess Charlotte.

Veelk

Banned
I've been on volume 33 for a bit and Guts is now on a boat. At least before that I managed to see
Guts team up with mystical Schierke and ride Zodd like a fucking Unicorn into battle against a demonic thunder cloud.
I think now with where I'm at it'll be more about the adventures of
Griffith 2.0 and his merry band of war demons and his Tumblr waifu Princess Charlotte.

Griffith's Super Happy Funtime Adventures are the second greatest highpoint of the the series aside from the eclipse. Enjoy.

Shit Gets Real
or rather, mythical
once the Emperor gets fed up.
Yeah I think I'm at that part.
Dude turned into a giant pissed off, multi faced tree thing. Seeing all those apostles and demons tear shit up was great. Seems like Skull Knight messed up the party by breaking out his Behelit sword and cutting time and space or something. Looked like a nuke went off or something. I still have to finish volume 34 but it's been a great volume so far.

Tacitus_

Dude turned into a giant pissed off, multi faced tree thing. Seeing all those apostles and demons tear shit up was great. Seems like Skull Knight messed up the party by breaking out his Behelit sword and cutting time and space or something. Looked like a nuke went off or something. I still have to finish volume 34 but it's been a great volume so far.

Yup, that'd be it. I want to see your reaction to the aftermath of that.

34 you say? oh yes dat arc climax

o-face.gif

Yoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
motherfucker got his own big ass guilded city!!!!
Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street_zpse2ac4a92.gif

And now Midland has even bigger monsters running around. What the fuck?

Veelk

Banned
Yoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!
motherfucker got his own big ass guilded city!!!!
Leonardo-Dicaprio-Oh-My-God-Fist-Bite-The-Wolf-of-Wall-Street_zpse2ac4a92.gif

And now Midland has even bigger monsters running around. What the fuck?

And so Griffith's dream has come to be. Bastard finally actually got his stupid fucking kingdom.

And so Griffith's dream has come to be. Bastard finally actually got his stupid fucking kingdom.
Motherfucker god damn won, holy shit! He's got two tumblr fangirls, demons fighting for him and and big ass kingdom where he can go and nt fuck princess Charlotte.

Veelk

Banned
Motherfucker god damn won, holy shit! He's got two tumblr fangirls, demons fighting for him and and big ass kingdom where he can go and nt fuck princess Charlotte.

What I was talking about getting what you want, but getting it wrong applies here more than anywhere else. After all Griffith did, he has an ending that is almost too idealistic for this manga. How does he, of all people, make out with all that, while Guts still doesn't even know if he can heal Caska's crazy on elf island.

What I was talking about getting what you want, but getting it wrong applies here more than anywhere else. After all Griffith did, he has an ending that is almost too idealistic for this manga. How does he, of all people, make out with all that, while Guts still doesn't even know if he can heal Caska's crazy on elf island.
I guess he can't rule for shit then. That's my overall assumption.

Plus, the average person basically considers him Jesus while guts is the devil.

Veelk

Banned
I guess he can't rule for shit then. That's my overall assumption.

Well, you find out how he rules in the very latest volume. Spoilers,
he's a fucking good and righteous king, because he can't even give the viewer the satisfaction of seeing him be wretched.

Well, you find out how he rules in the very latest volume. Spoilers,
he's a fucking good and righteous king, because he can't even give the viewer the satisfaction of seeing him be wretched.
Was hoping the spoiler would be he eats people and wipes his ass with their souls.

Veelk

Banned
Was hoping the spoiler would be he eats people and wipes his ass with their souls.

Which then places us in the uncomfortable position of having to consider whether he is doing good right now. Like, Griffith was always willing to do any damn thing he needed to live out his ideal vision of himself. Now his ideal vision is to be a noble king and he is doing it. Assuming he doesn't have anything up his sleeve where he plans to throw the city to demons like in the eclipse before or whatever, would Guts be doing wrong by trying to kill him?

Well Guts isn't exactly the most complex thinking person so I can see him not realizing that Griffith has actually done some good. Guts pretty much just lives outside of destiny's plan, but he's not having much effect on the world in a macro sense. He kills apostles and demons, but it's not like he's making much impact on that front cause regardless of what the fuck he does there will still be apostles and demons. Griffith on the other hand
resurrected a long dormant city for people to live and for him to rule over
. Guts doesn't even rule over the boat he currently resides in. If Guts was to kill Griffith he'd be killing Mr. Rogers as far as the everyday working man in Midland is concerned.

Why is everybody in Guts' crew a hidden bad ass?
Isma just turned into a fucking mermaid!! Farnese is now doing magic.
Dat JRPG Goodness.

Well yeah, this is Berserk. I originally thought she was going to be revealed as some sort of vessel for the
Sea God
, thankfully I was wrong. She's pretty nice actually.

Veelk

Banned
Well yeah, this is Berserk. I originally thought she was going to be revealed as some sort of vessel for the
Sea God
, thankfully I was wrong. She's pretty nice actually.

She's significant in that she is the first magical creature that Gut's has encountered that hasn't gotten her abilities from sacrificing loved ones. She's magic, but she's not an apostle.

I'm stuck wondering if she was what she was before Griffith's magic nuke. She obviously existed before then, and trolls were magic nonapostles (though they were still monsters) so we know magic creatures existed before then. But is the reason she can turn into a mermaid now because of Griffith's interference?

That is a pretty good question. She's known for a bit that she was different and she wasn't a stranger to what she was, she just didn't know how to unlock that ability. Granted she didn't know the exact trigger and Ivalera was never around to explain that mechanic to her so who knows. Though it really does seem like Griffiths magic nuke had a hand in what seems to be a magic outbreak.
I'm going to assume pre nuke those damn pirates would've just been dead instead of being reborn as minions for the Sea God though.

If "Other Kid" is Isidro he's cool. He's level grinding and trying to max out his combat stats like everybody else in Guts' party. He has definitely grown up more, you can tell he learns from mistakes, he's less annoying too. He seems to look up to Roderick a bit too because you can see that he respects him.

Schierke? She cool. She's been great at helping Guts gain control over the Berserk armor. They even seem to banter a bit. I think Guts looks at her like a little bit of a little sister. Funny seeing him give her piggy back rides. Now that I'm thinking about it Guts isn't as touch sensitive as he was during the initial chapters. Unless you're referring to that mysterious ass kid that keeps popping up during full moons that Casca is always drawn to. The fuck is up with that thing?

Top Bottom