• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

I feel like there is now hope Berserk will actually finish at some point.
None for HxH though, there hasn't been a chapter this entire year, Togashi has at least managed a chapter a year. Not this time.
Maybe he became too lazy to draw like this:
hxh-337-1.png

Miura would probably look at that and be like, "What the fuck man?"

Maybe he became too lazy to draw like this:
hxh-337-1.png

Miura would probably look at that and be like, "What the fuck man?"

I would hesitate to call any mangaka lazy, especially weekly ones. From what I have heard the fact he even did those chapters shows his dedication to his craft (I believe he was hospitalized)

No, no I didn't. Dude wrote my favorite Shonen anime so I can't possibly hate him. Is the health issue terminal?

There are a lot of rumors, ranging from back pain to his hand going bad, both critical problems for a mangaka.

Zolo

Eh....Togashi hasn't done long, weekly chapters in a while. I don't really care to use the word 'lazy', but he goes at his own pace. I'm pretty sure he and his wife is rich, so it's not like he has to worry about getting paid for work, so he's not in a hurry. To put it frankly, he doesn't have to worry about work, so he works when he feels like it.

Edit: Also, I did hear he had actual health issues since the latest chapter, so that's obviously good reasons. Before then for years, he had taken frequent and long breaks though without notice about health issues which is usually given like in the case of the author of D. Gray-Man. Ah. Apparently, he mentioned health issues since YYH then. Nevermind.

Eh....Togashi hasn't done long, weekly chapters in a while. I don't really care to use the word 'lazy', but he goes at his own pace. I'm pretty sure he and his wife is rich, so it's not like he has to worry about getting paid for work, so he's not in a hurry.

He's married to the Sailor Moon mangaka so combine YYH/HxH/Sailor Moon and thats a lot of success and royalties. I could buy that he simply doesn't need to work anymore, but Togashi seems more passionate then that.

I would hesitate to call any mangaka lazy, especially weekly ones. From what I have heard the fact he even did those chapters shows his dedication to his craft (I believe he was hospitalized)

There are a lot of rumors, ranging from back pain to his hand going bad, both critical problems for a mangaka.
Oh ok. That explains it a bit. Didn't mean to offend, just innocently poking fun. And yeah him being married to the creator of sailor moon just means he's in no rush, he just does stuff when he feels like it.

Erigu

I did hear [Togashi] had actual health issues since the latest chapter, so that's obviously good reasons. Before then for years, he had taken frequent and long breaks though without notice about health issues which is usually given like in the case of the author of D. Gray-Man.
He already mentioned health issues regarding the (abrupt) end of Yū Yū Hakusho, actually.

Oh ok. That explains it a bit. Didn't mean to offend, just innocently poking fun. And yeah him being married to the creator of sailor moon just means he's in no rush, he just does stuff when he feels like it.

It's no big deal but whenever people call a video game developer, mangaka, animator etc lazy I feel like that's about the least applicable word in nearly every context considering how harsh those working conditions and deadlines can be

He already mentioned health issues regarding the (abrupt) end of Yū Yū Hakusho, actually.
Well this explains the ending of YYH then. I mean I was fine with it, but the last arc is the weakest arc.
It's no big deal but whenever people call a video game developer, mangaka, animator etc lazy I feel like that's about the least applicable word in nearly every context considering how harsh those working conditions and deadlines can be
Isn't the animator field bordering on sweat shop territory?

Veelk

Banned

Lazy is a fighting word when applying to creators. Even really mediocre works are difficult to produce. Not to mention sometimes you just get gift pieces, something that seems like it'd be really difficult but is actually not. So speculating the amount of work a creator puts in is fruitless.

However, while we can definitely say that Togashi is lacking in professional integrity. There is no way on earth thay he can reasonably argue that some of the drawings he sent out were of an acceptable standard of quality. The fact that that's what he turned in simply doesn't reflect well on him. Maybe he didn't work hard on them. Or perhaps he did. But in either case, he should have worked harder.

Well I was predicting a time skip, and I guess we'll get one in a fashion if time on the elf island really does move a lot more slowly than the outside world. I'm guessing when Guts leaves Rickert will be a complete badass

Lazy is a fighting word when applying to creators. Even really mediocre works are difficult to produce. Not to mention sometimes you just get gift pieces, something that seems like it'd be really difficult but is actually not. So speculating the amount of work a creator puts in is fruitless.

However, while we can definitely say that Togashi is lacking in professional integrity. There is no way on earth thay he can reasonably argue that some of the drawings he sent out were of an acceptable standard of quality. The fact that that's what he turned in simply doesn't reflect well on him. Maybe he didn't work hard on them. Or perhaps he did. But in either case, he should have worked harder.

Well, you are correct. I can't say that any of that excuses poor work, but I feel with manga we hardly ever know the full circumstances. People actually believe the Miura and Idolmaster joke and the Togashi and Dragon Quest joke for instance. Most of what I know about mangaka is "stories" that I've never really bothered to look up and verify, although whenever I see an interview in English posted about an animator/director/mangaka/developer I make sure to read it.

Well, you are correct. I can't say that any of that excuses poor work, but I feel with manga we hardly ever know the full circumstances. People actually believe the Miura and Idolmaster joke and the Togashi and Dragon Quest joke for instance. Most of what I know about mangaka is "stories" that I've never really bothered to look up and verify, although whenever I see an interview in English posted about an animator/director/mangaka/developer I make sure to read it.
I need to read up on some more mangaka, but so far the most chill one I can think of seems to be Araki. He still puts in the work, but at the same time seems pretty relaxed and jovial during his interviews. Probably helps that the man is an unaging time lord or some shit.

I have a quick question. I'm only up to volume 28, midway through. But who's crazier, Sonia or Princess Charlotte? I find Charlotte's obsession with Griffith creepy as fuck and Sonia is well, Sonia. I told Tricky I Shadow that I'd spoiler tag everything, but nothing in here should be new info for them and I didn't really elaborate on anything.

Tizoc

Anyone got that GIF of George RR Martin giving people the middle finger over them talking about him dying?

Sonia creeps me out and I don't know why. Something is off about her.
The woman walks around talking to war demons like they were little kids. I don't even think I've seen the heights of her craziness yet to be honest.
Charlotte is just a one woman Griffith fan art Tumblr page
I was on top for a while.

Volume 26 was a wild ride. Still have volume 27&28 for now.
I'll try to spoiler tag stuff for you as well then. Can't believe I've caught up to some of the people on here already. I honestly just thought everybody on here was just at the more recent stuff.

I'll try to spoiler tag stuff for you as well then. Can't believe I've caught up to some of the people on here already. I honestly just thought everybody on here was just at the more recent stuff.
I'm just trying to watch my spending and pace myself. Instock trades is great, but it's still almost $40 just for four books.

Thanks, I appreciate it! So long as you spoiler tag the more specific story details from now on we should be all good. And like I said in our PM's, I've slowed down recently when it comes to reading the volumes because I want them to last as long as possible - which feels like torture at times. I'm now up to volume 29 and I'm already feeling bummed out that I've now reached the homestretch. Like what the hell am I gonna do once I catch up? I'm gonna feel so lost! : (

Thanks, I appreciate it! So long as you spoiler tag the more specific story details from now on we should be all good. And like I said in our PM's, I've slowed down recently when it comes to reading the volumes because I want them to last as long as possible - which feels like torture at times. I'm now up to volume 29 and I'm already feeling bummed out that I've now reached the homestretch. Like what the hell am I gonna do once I catch up? I'm gonna feel so lost! : (
I think when I catch up I'll start reading Claymore. I'm almost at the end of 28, it's getting good too.
Farnese's family are so shitty, her mom seems nice at least so far.

I'm like mid volume 30 now. How much longer till I see Rickert again?
Based on what I've read on here he gains a posse or something.
Speaking of posses it seems like Guts has gotten rather fond of Serpico, Schierke, Farnese and Isidro. I'm not sure if he's as close to them as he was to the Band of the Hawk, but they clearly mean something to him. Regarding Serpico,
his second fight with Guts was top notch. I can easily see Serpico beating actual human Griffith in a duel. Especially since Griffith got straight embarrassed by Guts the second time. Meanwhile Serpico is constantly giving Guts and actual challenge

Veelk

Banned
Speaking of posses it seems like Guts has gotten rather fond of Serpico, Schierke, Farnese and Isidro. I'm not sure if he's as close to them as he was to the Band of the Hawk, but they clearly mean something to him. Regarding Serpico,
his second fight with Guts was top notch. I can easily see Serpico beating actual human Griffith in a duel. Especially since Griffith got straight embarrassed by Guts the second time. Meanwhile Serpico is constantly giving Guts and actual challenge

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Serpico is something else if he can match current level Guts to this extent.

I wonder how Griffith even gained his skill? I know that he's supposed to just be prodigious whose good at everything, but even he'd need to practice to keep up. Or maybe he didn't. Maybe since he was a general, he focused on refining his command skills once he established his strength.

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Serpico is something else if he can match current level Guts to this extent.

I wonder how Griffith even gained his skill? I know that he's supposed to just be prodigious whose good at everything, but even he'd need to practice to keep up. Or maybe he didn't. Maybe since he was a general, he focused on refining his command skills once he established his strength.
That makes the most sense. Griffith got "soft" while Guts didn't. I would also like the think that Griffith had a way of getting inside your head a little when you fought him. He always had a bit of a reputation and mystique to him. Once that wore off on Guts he was able to catch up to and surpass Griffith easily. Serpico's best asset is his mind and how he thinks about combat and his opponent. You can tell he respects Guts ability because he always does his best to pick a battlefield that would hamper most of the advantages that Guts has. Meanwhile you can tell that Guts respects him
cause he never opted to use his arm cannon on him.

I am OK with Serpico being a top notch fighter, but it does bothers me that he just got plot - skills, his flashback doesn't even show any explanation for it, no training, nothing, he just happens do be good, so I guess we follow the clichés animu explanation for this, he's just a genius.

I am OK with Serpico being a top notch fighter, but it does bothers me that he just got plot - skills, his flashback doesn't even show any explanation for it, no training, nothing, he just happens do be good, so I guess we follow the clichés animu explanation for this, he's just a genius.
I don't think you survive years upon years of being Farnese's servant
bitch
without being some type of badass.

Griffith was a mercenary. Experience probably made him a great fighter. As the Falcon became bigger and integrated in the army , I would say Griffith pretty much stayed the same. He is still a terrific strategist in duels. That's how he approaches the fight against Guts. And loses.

He was extremely skilled. Dude rips an arm off Zodd....in apostle form.

I thought Guts chopped it off with Griffith just cutting it. I didn't think the sword Griffith used was strong enough to cut Zodd that way.

Tacitus_

I think you're overrating Serpico there. He himself said that he couldn't get Guts to show his fangs in the duel.

Veelk

Banned
Griffith was a mercenary. Experience probably made him a great fighter. As the Falcon became bigger and integrated in the army , I would say Griffith pretty much stayed the same. He is still a terrific strategist in duels. That's how he approaches the fight against Guts. And loses.

He was extremely skilled. Dude rips an arm off Zodd....in apostle form.

Oh, I never disputed that he was skilled, but I still wondered how he came about it. I hate Zodds arm getting cut off though. That simply makes no sense when guts couldn't get in a deep wound in human form. The rapier compliments Griffiths character of being able to do more with less via skill. It's not a power weapon and he didn't cut him at a vulnerable angle. Berserk isn't an especially tactical manga in general, but this was a huge oversight the way it happened.

Still, it's believable that Griffith would have less and less fighting time as his army grew larger. I don't see him as a character that would let himself ever get mediocre, but he just wouldn't be as good as guts whose in the thick of it all the time.

I thought Guts chopped it off with Griffith just cutting it. I didn't think the sword Griffith used was strong enough to cut Zodd that way.

It's the opposite. Guts wasn't able to make more than a somewhat deep cut on Zodd's human form. Griffith was able to cut his apostle arm off at the bone. It's a real misstep in the storytelling imo.

I think you're overrating Serpico there. He himself said that he couldn't get Guts to show his fangs in the duel.
I honestly thought Guts opted to not go ape shit because Guts agreed to keep the duel honorable in a sword on sword format.
He probably didn't think Serpico would give him that much of a challenge and it seemed like he won more on luck through anything else. I read it last night and Guts didn't plan for the rubble to fall on Serpico the way it did, it just happened. I honestly might be giving Serpico too much credit, but that's because I expected him to die. His last minute dodge through the air shocked me so I guess I'm just giving the fool his props. Man went toe to toe with Guts twice so far, him not getting cut in half yet just shows the man actually has some skills.
It's the opposite. Guts wasn't able to make more than a somewhat deep cut on Zodd's human form. Griffith was able to cut his apostle arm off at the bone. It's a real misstep in the storytelling imo.
That whole part really does just seem like it's there just to put Griffith on equal footing with Guts power wise when power was never Griffiths game. We know Griffith is a skill fighter and not a power fighter, he couldn't even tank one hit from Zodd. He's like a Bloodborne build with 50 skill and 16 vit.

Tacitus_

Toe to toe? More like barely escaped with his life twice :D

But if Guts had been serious, he'd used his throwing knives or the bombs or hell, the armour.

That's a lot better than the snake dude Guts fought in the beginning lol. When you fight a guy that level grinds off of apostles you take what you can get. Regarding the ranged combat I know, even Guts and I believe Serpico acknowledged that fact. They fought as swordsmen in an honorable duel where Serpico had to slightly cheat just to gain some sort of advantage. Even Serpico knew he wouldn't be able to pierce that armor.

Veelk

Banned

But if Guts had been serious, he'd used his throwing knives or the bombs or hell, the armour.

Yeah, but then Serpico might pull some tricks to prepare for that as well. I think he knew Guts would honor the swordfight they were having. Either way, the tactical mind Serpico has atleast catches Guts unawares enough that all Serpico needs to do is get lucky once to get a clean hit in.

Still, Guts is Guts, so easier said than done.

That's a lot better than the snake dude Guts fought in the beginning lol. When you fight a guy that level grinds off of apostles you take what you can get. Regarding the ranged combat I know, even Guts and I believe Serpico acknowledged that fact. They fought as swordsmen in an honorable duel where Serpico had to slightly cheat just to gain some sort of advantage. Even Serpico knew he wouldn't be able to pierce that armor.

Now that he has that feather sword, even Guts would have to go into Berserk form to stand a chance though.

There's also that wind cloak. I'd imagine him to be a rather difficult target to hit with that thing on. And yeah that feather sword is powerful. Wasn't he cutting off a couple of troll heads with one swing of it? And beat that frog horse as well.

Top Bottom