• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 4k TV for gaming - Recommendations

KevinKeene

Banned
Title is petty straight forward, I guess :eek:

Now that I'm planning to get an xbox one x, I started thinking about 4k tvs. I have no idea what additional features a good gaming 4k tv needs, though, so here I'm asking.

What's the best 4k tv up to 500 Euro/dollar? *Are* there any good 4k tvs for that price anyway?

I guess proper hdr and a fast response time are important? And it should be future-proof, I won't be buying yet another tv anytime soon then.
Well, happily awaiting your responses.

Skyn3t

Banned
You probably should go with some newer 55 inch TCL. Decent TVs, but the models for the US market tend to have better HDR mad brightness, like the mentioned R617.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Thx, but I'm not importing a tv from overseas ;p

Hoping for more recommendations (that are available in Germany, too).

What size are you looking to get? rtings.com did an update to their current best gaming tv rankings just last week: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming
I'd say the best 3 gaming tv's for the price come down to the Vizio P-series (low input lag + 120hz native refresh rate) or the TCL 5/6 Series (cheapest of the 3, but still competes with higher tier tv's). If you can spend a little more, Samsung's QFN6 series is a great option as it supports FreeSync, or the slightly lower model, the Samsung NU8000, which i believe also supports FreeSync.

Last edited:
Recent comments show complaints of banding. What would be a second choice TV to the TCL?
Unfortunately, any tv can have issues (panel lottery), but the next alternative to the TCL 6-Series is probably the Vizio P-series 2018 120hz native refresh rate. very good input lag numbers. Or the Samsung NU8000 HDR content won't be as good - poor local dimming, but no major flaws. Does support FreeSync. If you're willing to spend more, the Sony x900F is probably as solid of a pick as you can make. Or again, the Samsung QFN6 2018 also a fair choice, but pretty expensive considering you can get the sony tv for only 200-300 more.

Last edited:

Skyn3t

Banned
Great picture quality, HDR, but OLEDs still have a chance of developing temporary and permanent burn-ins. And they're not the brightest, which won't do the trick in rooms full of daylight. Additionally if you want really bright highlights in HDR mode, top tier LED TVs are the way to go.

Save up and get yourself a LG OLED.
As much as I agree on how awesome OLED tv's look, I'd sooner save up for a 75" LED tv for the price. I think i have given up on trying to make a decision on an affordable mid-range tv in the 65" size, and decided to just save up for 75" instead. I'm looking at the 2018 vizio p series on black friday - yep I'm waiting again :cry: - or something else that is similar in price. For gaming, though, I'm not sure if a large tv makes sense lol. There is a used 2016 55" B6P for $1295 on amazon, but anything new is automatically going to be $2000+, and that's only for a 55" screen.

Norse

Some great recommended TV's in this thread. All of which do hdr while gaming. We all hit rtings.com for tv info but one thing I hate about that site is how they rate hdr in general. If you look at their best hdr gaming list, they have TV's that do nothing with hdr rated higher than others that do. It baffles me how a tcl s405 is even recommended by them in the 4k hdr gaming bests article when they already have a 4k gaming bests article where the s405 belongs.

/Steps down from rant podium.

I'm currently considering Samsung nu8000, a q6fn, Vizio P series, or the tcl 6 series. With a solid panel, I think I'd be happy with any of these.

KevinKeene

Banned
Since I'll be looking around myself a bit, I'd just like to ask you guys what features are necessary for a future-proof 4k tv.

I've heard about stuff like hdcp 2.2, hdr/true hdr, 100hz, 120hz, 200 hz, and so on. Then thers the response time for gaming so moving images won't result in permanent ghosting. I'm completely out of the loop, so would be great if you could tell me what I need to be careful about.

Thx!

Toe-Knee

Since I'll be looking around myself a bit, I'd just like to ask you guys what features are necessary for a future-proof 4k tv.

I've heard about stuff like hdcp 2.2, hdr/true hdr, 100hz, 120hz, 200 hz, and so on. Then thers the response time for gaming so moving images won't result in permanent ghosting. I'm completely out of the loop, so would be great if you could tell me what I need to be careful about.

Thx!
I would personally wait for the hdmi 2.1 tvs that should be coming towards the end of the year or start of next.

That will get you some level of future proofing.

KevinKeene

Banned
I would personally wait for the hdmi 2.1 tvs that should be coming towards the end of the year or start of next.

That will get you some level of future proofing.

Sounds good. I also just read that many 4k tvs only have hdr10 (1024 different colors), which is apparently much worse than dolby vision (4096 different colors).

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can only echo the OLED crowd. Those TVs are a marvel. The picture quality is unparalleled - and you do not need to worry about burn in as long as you vary the content.

Toe-Knee

Sounds good. I also just read that many 4k tvs only have hdr10 (1024 different colors), which is apparently much worse than dolby vision (4096 different colors).
Hdr10 is the current industry standard but most new tvs support both and future ones will have hdr10+ (some may already have it).

I've tried to back off m checking out Tvs as I've had two new tvs over the last few years and it's a bit ridiculous haha.

Im now waiting until a year or so after hdmi 2.1 sets are standard and prices have stabilised/lowered

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Gimme the money and I'll get one, Richie Rich ;p
Last years LG aren't that expensive any more. If you are a bit patient and wait for a good deal I'm sure you can get a B6 for 1.000 $ soon. Save a bit longer. Believe me, it's worth it. Not just for the games but also the movies. I mean, holy shit the jump in picture quality impressed me more than going from VHS to DVD. It's the real deal.

Last edited:

KAOS

I've had a Samsung Q7F (2017) 4ktv for a couple of months. Altough I love the set I recently have been having some serious issues with the set giving me a black screen and reseting itself. I read online that this is an issues with some of the Samsung sets and it might have to do with the one connect box. I'm thinking of trading it in for NU8000 or Q6FN. I game for long hours and also use the tv as a pc monitor so I need a set that won't suffer from screen burn in or image retention and the Samsung tv's are good for that and they also display a pretty good color gamut. If anybody has any experience with these sets any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Rbk_3

Anyone think it is worth it to upgrade my KS8000 to a C8? Seeing some of the recent street pricing is giving me a real itch.

I do love the KS8000 alot.

Or am I better to wait it out for a few years till HDMI 2.1 is available then upgrade to the OLED.

Toe-Knee

Anyone think it is worth it to upgrade my KS8000 to a C8? Seeing some of the recent street pricing is giving me a real itch.

I do love the KS8000 alot.

Or am I better to wait it out for a few years till HDMI 2.1 is available then upgrade to the OLED.
The current Samsung q8/q9 have vrr/freesync if that's what you would be waiting for hdmi 2.1 for.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I would love to get a nice 4K TV for gaming, but I just don't see the price point being worth it currently. Hoping that over the next couple of years they can drop down to more reasonable prices. Not going to be paying 1500+ for a small increase for video game fidelity.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Great picture quality, HDR, but OLEDs still have a chance of developing temporary and permanent burn-ins. And they're not the brightest, which won't do the trick in rooms full of daylight. Additionally if you want really bright highlights in HDR mode, top tier LED TVs are the way to go.

Oled's are way more dynamic then greyish black lcd tv's.
even netflix series like ozark look insane on an oled.I did not yet see a tv or plasma that beats the image quality of an oled.
Srsly if you want the best picture get an oled. There are many software protection tricks for this so called burn in.
I sometimes play like 6 hours and i see zero burn in.
Then again i went from plasma to oled. And back when i got a plasma people where screaming burn in way more power consumption.
Just to sell their shitty lcd tv's

Pro tip making a tv fucking bright won't increase the contrast. What you want is deep black (as in zero) and bright whites,
If you don't believe me go play god of war on an oled and then try it on a lcd.

Funny as hell. Sold 2 friends of mine on oled after they saw it.

Last edited:
even netflix series like ozark look insane on an oled.I did not yet see a tv or plasma that beats the image quality of an oled.
Srsly if you want the best picture get an oled. There are many software protection tricks for this so called burn in.
Then again i went from plasma to oled. And back when i got a plasma people where screaming burn in way more power consumption.

Pro tip making a tv fucking bright won't increase the contrast. What you want is deep black (as in zero) and bright whites,

If you want image quality, OLED is the way to go no doubt.

I've yet to buy one because they're just too small (or smallish and crazy expensive in the bigger sizes), since I have a projector room.

Needless to say, I'm still locked to 1080p, as good 4k projectors that also have low input lag are basically a fantasy from the future.

I'll be buying an 82"+ lcd this black friday, I think. Even though I'll miss the extra screen space compared to a pj and the black levels compared to an oled. I'll get a decent size, a decent hdr (especially so on high end qled), good response and 4k.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you want image quality, OLED is the way to go no doubt.

I've yet to buy one because they're just too small (or smallish and crazy expensive in the bigger sizes), since I have a projector room.

Needless to say, I'm still locked to 1080p, as good 4k projectors that also have low input lag are basically a fantasy from the future.

I'll be buying an 82"+ lcd this black friday, I think. Even though I'll miss the extra screen space compared to a pj and the black levels compared to an oled. I'll get a decent size, a decent hdr (especially so on high end qled), good response and 4k.

my optoma 1080p beamer has an 120hz mode and crazy low input lag . it was like 550 ish 2 years ago.
i will replace that when i can get a decent ish 4k beamer low input lag around 800

my optoma 1080p beamer has an 120hz mode and crazy low input lag . it was like 550 ish 2 years ago.
i will replace that when i can get a decent ish 4k beamer low input lag around 800
Yep, I'm on Optoma too. Still really fast even at 1080p (mine has a 720p@120hz). Bought it with ps4/x1 at their launch.

Current 4k projectors are either very competent but need bigger spaces and have terrible lag, or are relatively short throw but still have a bit of lag and pretty subpar image quality. Lose-lose situation if you are a gamer with a normal-sized room.
That's also why I was thinking of "side-grading" to a qled for the time being. Smaller size but still great quality, hdr and lag for its size.

I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079YVYZD6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Already got discounted for less than 3k euros here in Switzerland (currently in deal, actually). Anyone got to see it? Reviews are good.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Now that I'm planning to get an xbox one x, I started thinking about 4k tvs. I have no idea what additional features a good gaming 4k tv needs, though, so here I'm asking.

What's the best 4k tv up to 500 Euro/dollar? *Are* there any good 4k tvs for that price anyway?

I guess proper hdr and a fast response time are important? And it should be future-proof, I won't be buying yet another tv anytime soon then.

My recommendation is waiting for the Next Xbox or PS5, Why? because the tecnology is moving fast, and will have more bright colors and more definition.

The Console generation is closing to the end, it is more likely that we will see news of console rumors in the coming year and its possibilities, which will have recommend televisions for the new generation of consoles.

I have a Full HD LG 60-inch 3D, and I want to get a 4K in fact, I could buy 100 inches right now, but I really prefer to wait until the new consoles come out.

If you have a Full-HD T.V. Right now is my recommendation and with this waiting time you can earn more Dollars and get much better product =).

Last edited:

Agreed. OLED’s are amazing looking and the way to go if you want the best picture and image quality. I love mine. After witnessing the OLED, it’s hard to go back to LED. It even makes the lower resolution TV shows look great.

OLED is normally more expensive though. Honestly, unless you need it asap I would wait until later when prices come down more and you can save up for a better tv even if it is something like last years model.

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

And it should be future-proof, I won't be buying yet another tv anytime soon then.

I was having this dilemma last year when shopping for a new tv. While shopping I had seen many of the lower end tvs and they looked fine but never enough for me to actually set out to buy one, it stayed like that until I ended up in front of an oled panel , tested one for a bit when I was at an ex's father's place , everything on it was so much nicer. In the end I didn't want to spend 5-600$ on a tv that was acceptable, 1k that was good but not enough, I wanted the best so ended up saving 1-2 more paychecks and put the rest of it on one of my credit card. never regretted that buy. (lg 55b7)

I don't think you should get those low cost 4k tv even if they're good , unless you're never actually using it, if youre couch gaming a fair bit or love to watch movies/ tv show, go for the best experience you can find or afford.

In short

I would love to get a nice 4K TV for gaming, but I just don't see the price point being worth it currently. Hoping that over the next couple of years they can drop down to more reasonable prices. Not going to be paying 1500+ for a small increase for video game fidelity.
55inch 4k is available starting from 250$ in the U.S. Though at that price not likely to be good for gaming.

The cheapest gaming grade 10 bit HDR 4k with low latency is the costco TCL c803 450$ 55 inch models, iirc. They are the same as the p607 but are missing FALD.

Any case the new HDMI 2.1 spec is said to support Free Sync, which will likely be used by next gen consoles, and I think xbox one x supports it. That's probably one of the more important innovations if waiting for a new 4k tv.

Rodolink

DOes anyone has some advice about Sharp and Toshiba brands? are there any good? I'm deciding betwen these: Sharp one I like it has Harman Kardon sound but no HDR and Toshiba has HDR but have no idea how bad/good these are for gaming. Or better go for an LG or Samsung?

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Well, I have a 1080ti so Freesync is no good for me. Not that these future TVs would have Gsync.
Nvidia has their 65-inch BFG displays supposedly coming later this year. 4K 120 Hz HDR + Gsync.

I’m sure they will be expensive as hell, but this will be the god-level gaming monitor if you have a GeForce GPU

Top Bottom