• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Mortal Kombat Fatalities?

mrmickfran

Genuinely surprised that I have never seen a thread for this. Okay GAF, give me your favorite and least favorite fatalities from the series! You can include Animalities, Babalities, Friendship etc.

My favorites:

MK9 (Sektor) - The Scarecrow

Absolutely brutal and creative. I love it.

MK4 (Quan Chi) - Leg Rip

So unexpected, yet fucking hilarious.

MK3 (Smoke) - Smoke Bomb

Never gets old.

My least favorites:

MKDeception (Shujinko) - Some boring shit.

What a God awful fatality. Not only is it boring (Ooooh decapitation in Mortal Kombat, so original), but why is it necessary for him to stab his opponent when he already cut their head off?

And you guys?

Also, can we not have someone reply "ALL OF MK VS. DC SUCKS BECUZ NO BLOOD HUUURRR"? I feel like that's gonna end up being the first reply.

The fatality system in MK Armageddon was horrible. No character had a unique fatality you just strung together a series of limb ripping.

Edit. Which was for the created characters I think. While some of the regular cast got SOME unique animations

TheHall

Rain's fatalities in MK9 seemed like an afterthought.

My all time favorite is Baraka's stab-lift-slide fatality. (MK2)

Simple but elegant

Xav

f58545fcd87fa290011e9r5qeb.gif

My most memorable one comes from MK4. Where Liu Kang throws the player into the screen with a fireball and their head bouncing off the screen.

The worst are all of the MK3 animalities.

Pagusas

Elden Member
The Jax arm ripoff was always my favorite. Probably because it was the first violent thing in a video game I ever saw when I was 8 years old wondering through an arcade.

fatality1dd7.gif

MK2 had some god tier fatalities. Perfect balance between realistic and cheese. MK3s fatalities were pure garbage. Too ridiculous and not enough grit like 1 & 2. It's when things started getting a bit comical

Alric

You got the Quan Chi leg rip right in the OP, so we are good here.

Worst - Something from MK3. Too many body parts that it truly annoyed me.

That character in general was just really stupid. The 3d mks introduced a ton of shitty
Character designs.

Yeah, very few of the designs from the 3D games were any good. 9 brought Kenshi in through DLC, and he was one of the few solid designs from those games. Frost was another decent design. I wouldn't mind seeing her pop up in a future game.

Ok this is the most boring shit I've ever seen.

It looks like a normal move you would do in any fighting game.

That's SNES MK1 quality.

MK2 had some god tier fatalities. Perfect balance between realistic and cheese. MK3s fatalities were pure garbage. Too ridiculous and not enough grit like 1 & 2. It's when things started getting a bit comical

Mostly, I agree. But Sheeva ripping the skin off the opponent was pretty good. So was Cyrax's suicide fatality.

Shang Tsung turning into Kintaro and punching the top half of his opponent's body off in MK2 always has a spot in my heart. It's not an easy Fatality to do (you can't use LP during your winning round) and it just has a nice comical edge to it, something lacking these days in MK fatalities more focused on extreme gore and prolonged suffering.

ibyxgwZ3C8T26l.gif

Sketchbag

Banned
Smoke destroying the planet had me in stitches and awe when it first happened. It's one of those things you can't re-experience.

With some of my favorites being named I'll go with another standby in Cyrax's Go Go Gadget Helicopter. Always good for a smile.

Scorpion's Hell Clone Beatdown is another good one and so is Toasty 3D! just for Dan Forden!

And GAF can decide where the Fergality stands.

Caj814

MKA had the worst in general. MK3 comes in second for half assing the decapitation sprites and explosion sprites in favor of 6 legs 4 skulls 7 arms and 8 rib cages

Glass Joe

How about the Super Nintendo version for worst:
i82p3xP01NWu.gif

Worst? That one is awesome! Of course it can't compare to the real one but that is the one censored fatality with thought & effort put into it. Didn't they add a variant of that one to the real MK2 (but not quite as good)?

As for the Liu Kang MK1 fatality, I always assumed as a kid that Liu Kang was the main character/hero, so he didn't murder people. His was just a way of getting the finishing bonus while "fighting with honor" or whatever.

the chris

Jax's fatality from Mortal Kombat 3 where he grows giant for some reason and stomps on the other fight is ridiculously stupid:
LKYp1py.jpg

Top Bottom