• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Assassin's Creed game?

Best Assassin's Creed game?

• Total voters

Erimus

Neo Member
Just completed Origins and loved it. I’ve yet to play Odyssey but my top 3 currently (in order):

AC II
Origins
Unity

Unity gets a lot of hate but I couldn’t put it down. I did play when the issues were resolved though.

Roberts

Origins is probably a better, more focused game, but Odyssey is my favorite, because Kassandra is such a blast to play with - one of the more fun video game characters lately. But yeah, I like old AC games, but the RPG path they took with Origins is way more appealing to me.

The divisiveness of the poll shows the strenuous the series. There’s honestly more viable choices than non viable ones.

Thats a great point. Even the games that are not getting any votes, (like Syndicate, Unity, and Revelations) are really fun entries. People really crap on Syndicate, but I'm loving it so far. I've robbed trains, killed a doctor during an operation in an Asylum, snuck into a fortress to kill a Templar, and snuck into the Bank of England's vault to kill the crooked bank manager. Also, the rope gun is awesome. People tend to hate that too, but its a real game changer. Getting around London was a blast.

Last edited:
Reactions: RSB
I voted for Origins because of the setting. I actually 100% it including all DLC which is something I almost never do. I'm a sucker for ancient Egypt.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Nice! Glad to see some glowing recommendations for it. What are your pros and cons?

It's been awhile since I played it, but a few that I remember:

Pros:
- I liked Shay a lot more than Edward, especially because I thought the way Edward became an Assassin was stupid.
- Playing as a Templar and seeing the outlook differently than the usual was interesting
- Very little or no follow/tailing missions, as I always hated those
- Gadgets/tools are a lot more fun and varied

Cons:
- Less interesting story and characters overall
- World is a littler more drab, and I preferred the more tropical areas of Black Flag

Both games are very similar and I saw Rogue as a refined and tighter package than Black Flag was.

It's been awhile since I played it, but a few that I remember:

Pros:
- I liked Shay a lot more than Edward, especially because I thought the way Edward became an Assassin was stupid.
- Playing as a Templar and seeing the outlook differently than the usual was interesting
- Very little or no follow/tailing missions, as I always hated those
- Gadgets/tools are a lot more fun and varied

Cons:
- Less interesting story and characters overall
- World is a littler more drab, and I preferred the more tropical areas of Black Flag

Both games are very similar and I saw Rogue as a refined and tighter package than Black Flag was.
Nice! I've seen the same points in other reviews. I'm excited to pick it up and try it out during my AC marathon.

haxan7

Banned
I could never get into the series until Origins and it wasn't for lack of trying. It doesn't hurt that they basically created a clone of Witcher 3.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Black Flag easily, but that's because it is a pirate game and not an assassin game.

Assassins Creed, I think always be my favorite one. It's something about the atmosphere that does it for me. The Middle Eastern setting with the mystical cultural music that swells as you approach one of the massive walled cities on horseback. You stroll the streets of Jerusalem as men shout about others who are heretics and poor women ask you for spare coins, not to mention certain alley ways of the cities are home to the mentally disabled who have been outcast by society that will smack you if you come to close.

Climbing Dome of the Rock and other massive towers throughout Jerusalem and Damascus are just incredible feats. Altair can't just quickly climb them like later installments which makes things slightly more rewarding once you reach the top. For some reason Acre never gave me the same feeling. It was a cool that it was more of a Medieval city than Middle Eastern and that it was a darker color tone. It certainly had a creepy vibe to it, especially the mental asylum where you find the doctor to assassinate.

Also speaking of Altair, he was extremely serious and stoic, something that the rest of the series lacked until Bayek of Siwa. It made you feel as if being a member of the Assassins Brotherhood was something not to be taken lightly. Altair would also murder eyewitnesses after he spoke with them which was something I remember being shocked by. And awesome quote I remember from the game was, "There is one more thing that will need from you, your life." - Altair, when asked by an eyewitness if there was anything else he needed to know.

AC2, AC3, Black Flag and Unity are all awesome games.

I didn't play AC2 as much as the others but Venice and Florence were awesome places to explore.

AC3 is just top notch, the story is super interesting and the fact that you get to take place in Revolutionary Battles is incredible, not to mention the fact that I can literally visit General Washington at Valley Forge during the winter of 1777! Which is so awesome because Valley Forge is about 40 minutes from where I live. I still wish they would have put Philadelphia in the game as the third city!

Black Flag was so epic! It's by far the best pirate game that has ever come out and that's exactly how I played it. Sailing from Florida to Cuba and down to Jamaica were just next level moments of awesome. I also Harpoon hunted Mobey Dick was such a sick easter egg!

And Unity for me was the peak of the franchise. The animation and immersion in the city of Paris was just top notch and will most likely never be topped. Fortunately I never experienced any major glitches and I loved that you could wear Altair's costume while playing that game as I found it much better looking than Arno's blue outfit.

I thought Syndicate was trash. Boring, repetitive gameplay and uninteresting characters.

Origins was a great attempt and made me actually feel like I was in Egypt but I hated the RPG leveling system. It's not fun going to explore a region only to get one shot by an enemy because you tried to be stealthy and stab him with a hidden blade from behind.

Didn't play Odyssey. Looked worse than Origins and Ancient Greece never really interested me.

May or may not pick up Valhalla. I'd rather spend my time of Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima. But it's possible that I buy it because it's from the Black Flag/Origins team.

Thanks for coming to my series review.

cormack12

Gold Member
Black flag being top is wild. Universally discussed as dog shit are the tailing missions, and I'd bet a pretty penny Black Flag has the most asinine ones at that.

Origins,

Black flags ship stuff was cool but they completely ruin it by how repetitive it is and how much you need to grind. Also the gameplay is the same old ass garbage from AC2.

sobaka770

Banned
Black Flag should not have been an AC Creed because everything good about it has nothing to do with AC and now they shove this naval warfare (which became actually worse in recent iterations) into every AC game. AC2 was still the best actual AC gameplay-wise, Origins is also awesome, Odyssey is way too repetitive and doesn't feel like AC at all again.

devDemonik

Neo Member
Honestly expected AC II to beat Black Flag, but it just goes to show how Ubisoft bases a lot of their decisions on marketing. They saw that naval battles were a big hit in AC 3 and then in less than a year they produce a full-length game that centers around that mechanic featuring pirates.

BlueHawk357

If Origins+Odyssey didn't have so many side quests, I would say them, in that order. However, as you had to grind to continue the story, it's made me have to say AC 2.

My least favourite being AC3, personally.

Nico_D

I have been replaying the older games and this is my personal ranking. I concentrated on the main quests and didn't do much of the Ubibloat. I did do what I considered the best sidequests like Leonardo's weapons and all the tombs in the Ezio trilogy - and Homestead in AC 3.

Brotherhood

Still the best Assassin's Creed game, not much to dislike tbh. Well, except maybe the inability to crouch. The story was great and all the mechanics (hiding in crowds, assassin's squads, building and earning money) are my favorites. Tombs are the best they have even been in the series.

Unity

Unity kept the most of the things that were great in Brotherhood. Paris is imo the best location in the game series and it is so alive. Rifts, climbing the Eiffel tower, was just awesome and felt so fresh. Parkour in Unity is the best in the series, just so fluid and plain fun. Also I liked the combat as it took a step back from the killing machine that Ezio was in Revelations. Return to stealth was welcomed. The story was also fine, sometimes even good, despite being pretty typical revenge story which had been seen in the series few times already.Brotherhood wins only because of the superior tomb design and more inventive missions.

AC 2

The first of the trilogy is surprisingly strong entry even today. It starts a bit badly when there's a lot of combat mechanics missing but once it gets started, it can be really, really good. Parkour is not very precise and can be damn right frustrating (like in many other AC games though even more so). But I love Ezio, he's really likable character, story is good and tombs are entertaining.

Revelations

To my surprise I hadn't played this before even though I thought I'll be replaying it. In ended up liking it quite a lot. Sure, it doesn't offer much new and mechanics are starting to feel a bit old after the first two games of the trilogy. Bombs are... well, I didn't use them much except for the usual smoke bombs. What I loved though was Ezio, again, seeing him as an older and more somber man. His whole arc was done really well. One of the best parts was playing as Altair, those sequences tied the story arcs beautifully together and they were really well done too. Loved the spectacle of the game too.

AC 3

Better than I remembered. I think, when I first played this, I did too much of the side stuff which made me bored of the game. Now that I played only the main quest, I think it is considerably better. Homestead missions and the whole community building was a great idea though it takes probably a bit too long, there's too many quests, especially as quite a many of those are pretty mediocre flower pickings. The whole trading/crafting thing works well but I think it is ready too late in the game - like I couldn''t craft a lot of stuff until in sequence 9 maybe but that's only three sequences from the end. Modern day stuff is the best in the series. Connor is a bit bland. Oh, and I hate, hate, hate ship combat. (Which is, btw, the reason I never played Blag Flag longer than maybe an hour.)

Odyssey

Not really an AC game, tbh. I hated the rpg trappings but liked Cassandra as a character. Story was honestly pretty bad and went out with a whimper. The world was far too big as it is now in Ubisoft games, moving from one place to another takes ages. The whole end game stuff is the modern Ubisoft bs, wasn't interested in it at all, I despise grinding, especially in AC games where I feel it doesn't belong. Also, ships.

Syndicate

Siblings were great, London was boring. For some reason Syndicate lost the personality Unity had. I didn't like the story and the mission design felt really uninspired. I had to force myself to finish this one and I did it only because of the rather entertaining main characters.

Origins

Didn't even finish this. It is beautiful, yeah. Bayek is a good character as is his wife but the story was all over the place and the game systematically forced me to grind and do silly side quests which I didn't want to. Also those mythological enemies in a game series which had had it's roots in historical realism was just stupid.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Black flag was so boring and bad looking, I just couldn't. 2 was good but also got boring. I really liked first one and brotherhood is the best.
How can anyone choose 2 in a world where brotherhood exist :p

Shubh_C63

To people who chose Black Flag.

Is it because the naval part or foot part. Because the foot part is pretty much non-existent. The best AC game is the one who had nothing to do with AC-base mechanics lol. Of course that doesn't make it a bad game, but just saying.

BaneIsPain

It always hard to choose between ACII or Black Flag. I love ACII because the beginning of Ezio and building renovations. However Black Flag has large sea exploration with great sea shanties.

My ranking
ACII
AC Black Flag
AC Brotherhood
AC Origins
AC Unity
AC Revelations
AC Rogue
AC Syndicate
AC III
AC (should’ve a remake by now)
AC Odyssey

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, I unironically voted for ACIII. I'm that guy. After the first title and the Ezio trilogy (which I admittedly loved all of) it felt like such a huge departure with narrative and setting, but it still held all of the Assassin's Creed conventions up to that point, just refined and expanded.

Things it had going for it:

-The intro. Christ the intro. The Haytham curveball, the title card shot.
-The modern day segments.
-The first trip to the Frontier/Homestead. Very open, at the time pretty good looking. Introduced and gave room to play with new mechanics.
-Combat looked and felt pretty snappy.

I feel this game's biggest misstep and what it's always remembered for is the ending. It's a Mass Effect 3 situation, where all the goodwill brought forth by a pretty solid game is pissed away because the last thing most players see is the least satisfying, and it leaves a bitter tint on the entire preceding journey. Still my favorite, though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Black flag was so boring and bad looking, I just couldn't. 2 was good but also got boring. I really liked first one and brotherhood is the best.
How can anyone choose 2 in a world where brotherhood exist :p
How can pick anyone the first one before 2. :messenger_confounded:

I played 2 first which was incredible. Went back and played 1 to make sure I was caught up on the story, the concepts behind which I found fascinating and unique, kept playing through Brotherhood and then by the time I got to Revelations I started to get seriously burned out. Completed it but not been able to stick with any AC game since. Have tried 3, Black Flag, Unity. Feel unable to continue with any of them, just feels like I’m playing the same game I’ve completed 4 times already.

Kokoloko85

2 Overall
3 combat and climbing - I enjoyed the History
Black Flag was awesome too
1 - History, Story and its the original and awesome too

Havent played them since Unity

Last edited:

Audiophile

AC (1) had a real distinct feel and atmosphere but it also felt kinda cold and was extremely flawed.

AC II is the masterpiece imo, they took the distinctive atmosphere and turned it up to 11, at the same time it felt warmer and more engaging. The gameplay was wonderfully expanded. The soundtrack is still may favourite in any game and along with the great story, great characters, sheer charm, the intriguing-haunting mystery of subject 16, abstergo and "the ones who came before"...it just ended up being a lightning in a bottle moment.

Brotherhood was a solid follow-up and while it brought some great gameplay benefits and other upgrades, Rome didn't quite feel as charming as Venice and Florence; and I didn't like being forced to play how the devs wanted me to to get full sync in missions (and replayability for full sync didn't appeal to me cause it disrupts the flow of the game).

Revelations was a decent end to the Ezio Trilogy, but again, it lost more of the charm.

There's just something about wondering the rooftops of night-time Florence and Venice with that Jesper Kyd soundtrack playing ("Earth", "Ezio's Family", "Florence Rooftops"...), I got so lost in that game.

Ever since III, the characters have just lacked any engaging quality, the soundtracks have paled in comparison, the story and world have lacked charm. IV and the other "pirate" games are alright but they're not really AC games to me.

I appreciated Unity trying to go back to the roots, it looked great and it felt great to play when the framerate wasn't chugging. It felt like the last proper AC game. But without Desillets, May & Kyd, it just wasn't cutting it.

Odyssey and Origins totally lost me, full-blown RPG elements, lots of brawling and brutish gameplay, bird drones, mtx/grind, character choice that results in a less focused and coherent narrative. The worlds are not inherently dense enough to offer the core, classic AC gameplay. They have zero atmosphere, soundtracks are dull, the animus thing has been totally buggered up. They're only AC in name and iconography.

Valhalla has lost even more of its identity. It's all just cookie-cutter trash with no identity at this point. I don't want wide open spaces and Vikings, I want running across rooftops and assassins.

I'm basically out of the series now. They could win me back with the next-next AC that's fully next-gen; if they can totally switch it up and pull off a rich, dense city vibe similar to the first 4 games but with all the bells and whistles the new CPUs and SSDs can offer. Getting a coherent, focused creative direction and a distinctive soundscape will be needed.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’d go syndicate or black flag. As a long time creed fan didn’t really like the shift in gameplay with origins and it’s been down hill ever since. I’d play 3 again before another origin style game.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I appreciate the fact that most people consider 2 (although that one has aged HORRIBLY), Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey to be the best.

Syndicate IMO is underrated as it was vastly more fun that Unity that came before it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, I unironically voted for ACIII. I'm that guy. After the first title and the Ezio trilogy (which I admittedly loved all of) it felt like such a huge departure with narrative and setting, but it still held all of the Assassin's Creed conventions up to that point, just refined and expanded.

Things it had going for it:

-The intro. Christ the intro. The Haytham curveball, the title card shot.
-The modern day segments.
-The first trip to the Frontier/Homestead. Very open, at the time pretty good looking. Introduced and gave room to play with new mechanics.
-Combat looked and felt pretty snappy.

I feel this game's biggest misstep and what it's always remembered for is the ending. It's a Mass Effect 3 situation, where all the goodwill brought forth by a pretty solid game is pissed away because the last thing most players see is the least satisfying, and it leaves a bitter tint on the entire preceding journey. Still my favorite, though.
I replayed the remastered version recently and while I enjoyed it more than I ever did originally, the games flaws are still readily apparent. It had absolutely awful full sync objectives in many places, bad ship mechanics and just too much to do without much actual benefit to doing it.

keraj37

Unity - the only AC game I played for about 25 minutes after reciving it for free during the time Notre Dame Cathedral was on fire.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I replayed the remastered version recently and while I enjoyed it more than I ever did originally, the games flaws are still readily apparent. It had absolutely awful full sync objectives in many places, bad ship mechanics and just too much to do without much actual benefit to doing it.

Yeah, I'm sure for completionists, a lot of AC games don't feel very worthwhile/more trouble than they're worth. I pretty much just engaged with the things I enjoyed, which meant I ignored most of the ship missions and caravan stuff.

I know it probably sounds silly saying I enjoyed a game I didn't actually complete more than others (Odyssey remains to this day the only platinum trophy I've gotten, and you know the rap that one gets for being over indulgent in content) but it was some magical combination of setting, story, and improving upon things that were already good enough to get the job done that made it stand out to me.

The -entire package- of Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey probably impresses me more, but nothing hit that surprise high for me like III.

Is it because the naval part or foot part. Because the foot part is pretty much non-existent. The best AC game is the one who had nothing to do with AC-base mechanics lol. Of course that doesn't make it a bad game, but just saying.

i want to love black flag so much, but the ship part is the worst of any ac game and makes it the worst in the series just because of that. The ship mechanics in this game and me, we aren´t going to become friends anymore. Story, atmosphere, shanties, characters, all great. but everytime i try to play through this game there comes a point around when you come to kingston where i always stall. i can´t seem to upgrade the ship, i die all the time, i hate it.

Eternal21

III was absolutely the best, and had a great twist in the beginning (playing as Templars without you knowing it). Nobody's going to change my mind on that.

martino

now that you say it it's probably why it's the only i've never finished (with syndicate because of bugs):D

Last edited:
I don't see how AC4 is winning, its a fun game and sailing the seas is fantastic, but the main missions are 75% trailing missions and they're trash.

Nico_D

III was absolutely the best, and had a great twist in the beginning (playing as Templars without you knowing it). Nobody's going to change my mind on that.

It is definitely better than its reputation. It's got fair some problems which don't really ruin it but without which it could be a great game.

Remastered version has some bugs, couple which stopped my progression, when something didn't get triggered and I was left in limbo. Restarting from the checkpoint solved those.

Revolutions still has the best story imo.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Black Flag. It cuts through the bullshit and throws you right in. The story is good. Still too many chase scenes for my liking but it gives the players other new cool stuff like the deep ship system.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am holding out hope that Skull & Bones comes back as an evolution of BF, minus all the awful Assassin crap of course. I no Ubisoft won’t get it right, but there is so much potential there.

Top Bottom