• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

Finally made it over to BB this morning. Used the Net10 kit for the deal, as no stores in the area have the $3 DOTD phones in stock.

Not gonna bother with buying like ten years worth of membership; I'll be surprised if BB still exists in two years as it is.

Why do people keep saying this?

CornDogg

They've been having financial difficulties for years now and went through a restructuring a year or two back.

I picked up 6 years for around $11. I'll make that back after one purchase of a new game. As far as I'm concerned, it's well worth the risk.

Now if Best Buy were to sink and I had paid full price for those 6 years, I'd feel much differently.

jcm

Just got a LG 440 price matched to Radio Shack's $4.99. Thanks GAF. I left one behind at the Columbia Heights Best Buy if any of you are in DC.

zma1013

Whelp, this is really stupid. Best Buy gave me 2 separate My Best Buy accounts for some reason and I have a $20 certificate on one of them but I can't use it because it's on the other account. I have to merge them which takes 5 days. MCC comes out before then so I gotta order it without using the $20 gift card. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Just got a LG 440 price matched to Radio Shack's $4.99. Thanks GAF. I left one behind at the Columbia Heights Best Buy if any of you are in DC.

There is only one left at the store? I'm debating going back to get another 2 years so I can be set for 4.

jcm

There is only one left at the store? I'm debating going back to get another 2 years so I can be set for 4.

There was one left on the shelf. Not sure if they have any in the back. I didn't see any of the Net10 things, or the 2.99 deal of the day phones, but I didn't look too closely.

Lum1n3s

Not sure if this has been posted yet but you can get the deal with any sim starter kit. It doesn't have to be in any order as long as your membership is pulled up and everything is scanned the price will go down, this is the one I bought to get it for $10 bucks.

20141107_121455.jpg

So I just got my coupons for joining, so that makes me feel better about not seeing the expiration on my account. So all I need to know is if the discount is only for in-store purchases? I read the BB FAQ and it wasn't clear to me.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So I just got my coupons for joining, so that makes me feel better about not seeing the expiration on my account. So all I need to know is if the discount is only for in-store purchases? I read the BB FAQ and it wasn't clear to me.

I just bought a game online and my discount was applied.

How does pre-ordering work with BB? I want to head over and PO GTA V and never PO'd something from them before. Do they work the same way GameStop does?

And if I PO online, do they charge the moment I place the order or when I pick it up?

Darklor01

How does pre-ordering work with BB? I want to head over and PO GTA V and never PO'd something from them before. Do they work the same way GameStop does?

And if I PO online, do they charge the moment I place the order or when I pick it up?

Don't know about in store, but I chose in store pick up online, got my discount. My understanding is they will hold said game at customer service counter on release day.

Charged me now.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Got my $3 phone and an activation kit and now Im at 2022! Feels good.

majik13

so what is the cheapest/easiest trick now?

I did the Radioshack 5 dollar phone on Monday, might go back today.

And 50% bonus trade in deal works in store and is still going on yeah?

Did the $7 phone card method on the OP, worked like a charm. Good for the next 6 years and kicked a few bucks to St. Jude's :D

Thanks GAF! Now I can't stick to my all-digital habits, too much to save going physical now.

Question: does anyone know when I should expect the coupon that is Buy 2 Used Games get a 3rd free? Could really use that at the moment.

Petrie

Banned
Thanks GAF! Now I can't stick to my all-digital habits, too much to save going physical now.

I don't think that's going to change for a long time. There's still too much incentive to get you into stores, and digital prices never drop as quickly as physical unless you stick with PC DD.

Jomjom

Banned
Did the $7 phone card method on the OP, worked like a charm. Good for the next 6 years and kicked a few bucks to St. Jude's :D

Question: does anyone know when I should expect the coupon that is Buy 2 Used Games get a 3rd free? Could really use that at the moment.

It should arrive the same day or the next day after you sign up. Make sure to go to My Best Buy to check that your email is listed. Also check to see if there are any opt-ins for email.

Also physical has always been cheaper than digital, even without GCU. Barring Steam, digital has always only been about convenience, not price.

Darklor01

so what is the cheapest/easiest trick now?

I did the Radioshack 5 dollar phone on Monday, might go back today.

And 50% bonus trade in deal works in store and is still going on yeah?

Don't know about the bonus, nut there is the "PayLo" phones by Virgin Mobile. $2.99 today only.

Well that sucks for me. I don't see a discount online when I add something to cart.

You need to connect your MyBestBuy account to your Bestbuy.com account. Usually, they are different unless you connect them.

Easiest way is simply to create a brand new bestbuy.com account to purchase something with. Then, put in your MyBestBuy account ID number to connect to that new account. That simple!

Bought 2 yesterday and another one today. Up to 2020 with GCU, already grabbing AC:U for the low, then the reward points doing that net me a severely cheaper GTAV.

That's already $30 in savings between the first two games. This is going to be lovely. Smart on Best Buy's part to guarantee years of customers like this. Why spend $60 on a digital game when you can get the physical one that has resale value for $48?

Whelp, this is really stupid. Best Buy gave me 2 separate My Best Buy accounts for some reason and I have a $20 certificate on one of them but I can't use it because it's on the other account. I have to merge them which takes 5 days. MCC comes out before then so I gotta order it without using the $20 gift card. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu

Good luck. I've been trying to do this for over a month and they can't seem to figure out how to merge them. I'm in the same boat, certificates on an account that doesn't have gamers unlocked.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
this works if I don't have GCU already? also how do I find out if it got stacked? Don't want to buy a bunch of crap for nothing.

Go to my.bestbuy.com, login, then click Rewards > Overview. It should show your membership expiration date on the right.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Go to my.bestbuy.com, login, then click Rewards > Overview. It should show your membership expiration date on the right.
Fyi though, this info may only be available on the desktop version. I couldn't find it on the mobile version.

Extended mine for another 2 years using the net 10 card. The gaming guy who went to find a gcu card for me had no idea about the cell phone offer.

jrDev

Just did the SIM card and I used that mystery $5 coupon best buy sent me so I made a donation and walked out spending $3 for another 2 years of membership, I think I'm content now... :-D

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Extended mine for another 2 years using the net 10 card. The gaming guy who went to find a gcu card for me had no idea about the cell phone offer.
Yeah, none of the BB employees who processed my transactions (I did 2 of the net10 cards) had any clue what was going on. They didn't think it would work.

netguy503

Register for the official best buy forum and then make a new topic here with your questions. The forum has moderators who are official best buy employees and should be able to help you

Wow posted a question to the site 5 hours ago with no answer still. I was very nice and polite too I feel great. :(

Still don't know if I should keep my phone or not as I still haven't gotten my 2 years a full day later so there is nothing to take away from me (as of yet). I didn't try to scam bestbuy like you guys and got the $15 phones too. Why is my best buy so much different then your guy's. :(

Darknight

This is all done at the phone kiosk area not the regular check out, correct?? Also where are the $3 Virgin Mobile Paylo phones? Are they easy to spot? Thanx.

This is all done at the phone kiosk area not the regular check out, correct?? Also where are the $3 Virgin Mobile Paylo phones? Are they easy to spot? Thanx.
Regular checkout worked fine for me.

1) Have cashier put in your BB reward number, give phone number if you don't have the physical card
2) scan GCU card
3) scan whatever prepaid thing you get
4) win

netguy503

If I did this again I would try mobile checkout. The guys at front wouldn't let me do it even though the computer accepted it. :(

THANK YOU OP!!!

I felt like a rockstar going into BB this evening and getting a $6.99 Simple Mobile Dual Sim Card and getting the two-year GCU for FREE! Even the guy in the gaming department that thought he knew his shit was freaking out and telling all the other employees about it, which blew their minds. At first he tried to tell me the $40 game deal was gonna be better but after he saw how it rang up, he said he was gonna do the same thing himself. After using a $5 RZC, I walked out that bitch only having paid $2 and change. I also pre-ordered Far Cry 4 and GTA 5. Fuckin' lovin' it!

neurophd

Not sure if this has been posted yet but you can get the deal with any sim starter kit. It doesn't have to be in any order as long as your membership is pulled up and everything is scanned the price will go down, this is the one I bought to get it for $10 bucks.

20141107_121455.jpg
Thanks for the suggestion! Worked here in Phoenix. Amazing deal!

So I'm at my best buy. Looks like they are out of cards? Also, anyone have a quick answer as to whether it works for pc games?

Yes for Physical PC games

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Bes...Buy-Gamers-Club-Unlocked-Benefits/ta-p/804534

Q: Does the 20% off only apply to new games on one console?
A: Nope, it applies to all new video games, including PC (with the exclusion of digital). The more games you buy, the more money you save. Game on.

Top Bottom