• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
...so what do I do with these SIM cards? Just, kinda hang them on my wall like hunting trophies? Is it even worth donating somewhere?
This is one of the reasons why I was hoping I could get the $2.99 phones today, so that I could at least donate them to a women's shelter or something like that since the 911 functions work without service.

jrcbandit

I dunno why, but the Sim card method didn't work for me. Perhaps it was because the person didn't select the $0 plan? I ended up buying a $20 crappy Android phone that I am giving to someone whose kid just ruined their phone with water.

Grimløck;137874955 said:
how do preorders work with best buy? do they charge you right away or when they ship?

They put a hold on your card. So basically yes they charge you right away. I wish they would do what amazon does and just wait until they ship the item to charge the credit card. Be careful though. I bought a couple of games a few years ago. Bestbuy put a hold for the total funds on my credit card at first and for some reason each game was shipped separately so what ended up happening was they took away the hold and then charged each game separately. i was incredibly confused why i was missing money and being charged a bunch of times. It really screwed me over when it came time to pay some bills.

my friends and i just returned them to another store and they didnt say anything.

Check your gamers club unlocked membership. There have been reports that the membership gets canceled in a few days when the items are returned, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Neo Dark

Also keep in mind that Best Buy requires ID for returns and so if you return too many stuff, they won't let you return anything for a 3 month period from what I heard. So don't overdo it

Koppai

Returning the phones or cards to other stores is scamming the store. That's illegal and bad karma.

I hope if you return the merchandise your gamers club gets canceled. On the receipt it says because it's part of s bundle they will charge you full price for the unreturned items. Gamers Club Unlocked is $99

Zodzilla

Returning the phones or cards to other stores is scamming the store. That's illegal and bad karma.

Yep, I was going to say, this is just fraud, people. They're already losing money due to their own mistakes, no need to be a total cheap skate and try to get something worth $120 for nothing. Just pay 5 to 15 bucks, feel like you got a crazy deal, and let them realize their mistake. Don't completely rip them off.

jou123

Neo Member

I don't want to get too high and holy but if people have extra cellphones and unopened sims please consider donating them. Domestic violence shelters are always in need of phones to distribute. You don't even need to pay postage, Verizon offers prepaid labels. With all the nonsense with gamergate it would be nice to have some good karma.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/hopeline/get-involved.html

I don't want to get too high and holy but if people have extra cellphones and unopened sims please consider donating them. Domestic violence shelters are always in need of phones to distribute. You don't even need to pay postage, Verizon offers prepaid labels. With all the nonsense with gamergate it would be nice to have some good karma.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/aboutus/hopeline/get-involved.html

I have no intention of returning the sim cards I have, but as I asked before, is there a benefit to someone if I donate these somewhere? I never bought just straight-out sim cards before and it looks like one would need to pay just to use these things.

fade_

Don't return the phone. If you dont feel like donating it's always good to have a spare emergency turned off in the glove box of your car. 911 works on phones even when they're not activated.

Don't return the phone. If you dont feel like donating it's always good to have a spare emergency turned off in the glove box of your car. 911 works on phones even when they're not activated.

Is this really true?

How would I go from Phone still in plastic, to ready to use as a 911 device?
Any set up necessary or just have it charged?

bebop242

Ok so I doubled up my membership last night and preordered Far Cry 4 at the register. He asked me if I wanted to put down more than the 5 dollar requirement which I said I did, but then he tells me I should wait until I pick it up to get the discounted price. Looked at my receipt and it says $59.99 even tho I'm a gamer unlocked member. Is this normal and it will fix itself when I pick the game up?

SMH at people returning the phone.

Ok so I doubled up my membership last night and preordered Far Cry 4 at the register. He asked me if I wanted to put down more than the 5 dollar requirement which I said I did, but then he tells me I should wait until I pick it up to get the discounted price. Looked at my receipt and it says $59.99 even tho I'm a gamer unlocked member. Is this normal and it will fix itself when I pick the game up?

SMH at people returning the phone.

Totally normal, it cannot apply the 20% discount until the POS (point of sale) and this is just a preorder and not not the point of sale.

I recommend when preordering a game in store, and I do it a lot at Best Buy with my GCU, never put down more than the $5. It will lock you into the $10 Rewards Certificate if there is one for the game, and when you actually pick the game up, you will only owe the $43 plus tax after GCU is applied.

Every time I preorder a game at Best Buy with my GCU, it always shows I owe like $54.99, but everything changes when I actually pick up the game.

abundant

Totally normal, it cannot apply the 20% discount until the POS (point of sale) and this is just a preorder and not not the point of sale.

I recommend when preordering a game in store, and I do it a lot at Best Buy with my GCU, never put down more than the $5. It will lock you into the $10 Rewards Certificate if there is one for the game, and when you actually pick the game up, you will only owe the $43 plus tax after GCU is applied.

Every time I preorder a game at Best Buy with my GCU, it always shows I owe like $54.99, but everything changes when I actually pick up the game.

If I did pay off the pre-order, for let's say Dragon Age Inquisition, what would happen when I pick it up? Am I refunded the amount that I would've saved for having GCU?

Just bought Batman PS4 for effectively $38...

And you just made up what you invested in GCU in your first purchase. Boom, its all a gravy train from here on out. All savings/profit.

If I did pay off the pre-order, for let's say Dragon Age Inquisition, what would happen when I pick it up? Am I refunded the amount that I would've saved for having GCU?

I have no idea, I have never completely paid off a preorder when I had GCU, I just put down the $5. I would assume they would simply refund it, you dont owe them the extra as a GCU member, they would probably process it simply as a return/rebuy at the new price.

netguy503

So how far did people go with their GCU memberships? I'm 2020 (will be 2022 after this pending stage...or else). I just wanted to cover myself for this console generation.

Brew124

I went until 2018. Wanted to be careful about going too far in case GCU goes away/changes or something happens to Best Buy.

If nothing changes by the time my membership is almost up, they regularly do massive discounts on GCU. May not be $5 again, but it'll be $30 or less again at some point.

bebop242

Thanks for this. Helped a lot.

Korosenai

Will this still work next week? The closest best buy is 20 minutes away, and I don't plan on going again until Tuesday when halo comes out.

A king of procrastination am I. I just bought 3 LG 440G Tracfones, PM'd RadioShack for $4.99 each and extended my GCU through Jan. 26, 2022. Used my $5 Mystery Reward Certificate and made that $5 donation to St. Jude's.

Thanks, BB, 3rdamension/GAF, CAG/SD!

Oh, and I got a Wii Fit U pedometer for $7.99 on Clearance. (This came at the wrong time, I've lost 55 pounds since January and would love to have seen the progress)

Worth noting, if you do the preorder online with in-store pickup (I did this with my copies of the WoW expansion) it will actually give you the discount while paying it all.

nikos

Is there a current list of everything that works with the deal? Looking to add some more years today, but local stores are running low/sold out on these items.

Smokey

I hope if you return the merchandise your gamers club gets canceled. On the receipt it says because it's part of s bundle they will charge you full price for the unreturned items. Gamers Club Unlocked is $99

Yep. This is why we can't have nice things.

Worth noting, if you do the preorder online with in-store pickup (I did this with my copies of the WoW expansion) it will actually give you the discount while paying it all.

Yep! If you preorder online for delivery or in-store pickup, they will charge you the GCU Discounted rate, but that is basically a point of sale since Best Buy charges you when you preorder, not when it ships (well, they put a hold on the money, which is basically charging you).

Psykoboy2

My local store had the activation cards for $4.99 but kept ringing up at $6.99 so they changed the price for me. I'm now good through 2032. I think I'm done.

Hey, dont forget. Today, going on now, from 1 - 4pm they are having a Holiday Shopping Event. They have LBP 3 there to play, and the first 100 people to play it get a free gift. I am headed there now to try LBP.

Also, during this time frame, you can get the following deals on PS4 Games. Remember, your GCU Discount will take the 20%off these sale prices.

Knack, MLB The Show 14, Infamous SS, and Killzone Shadow Fall are all $24.99. That is an awesome price for Infamous, especially with the discount dropping it to $20.

Check here to see if your store is participating!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-...D=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-O_LqjEbSjL3vics5iq.dyA

netguy503

Hey, dont forget. Today, going on now, from 1 - 4pm they are having a Holiday Shopping Event. They have LBP 3 there to play, and the first 100 people to play it get a free gift. I am headed there now to try LBP.

Also, during this time frame, you can get the following deals on PS4 Games. Remember, your GCU Discount will take the 20%off these sale prices.

Knack, MLB The Show 14, Infamous SS, and Killzone Shadow Fall are all $24.99. That is an awesome price for Infamous, especially with the discount dropping it to $20.

Check here to see if your store is participating!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-...D=1&siteID=FKSJxY2VJAk-O_LqjEbSjL3vics5iq.dyA

Anyone on the east coast have impressions of the LBP3 demo shown? How lengthy was it? What was the prize given out?

Edit: For those tired of going to the store from the deal this week, I can confirm those $20 prices on PS4 w/GCU are online. So even if your store doesn't participate in the event you are in luck. :)

Finally went and took advantage of this deal. Bought a Net10 SIM on sale for $6.99 and got GCU for free. Already had a year left, just decided to do this once to extend it to 3 years. I feel like that is enough for now.

bebop242

Anyone on the east coast have impressions of the LBP3 demo shown? How lengthy was it? What was the prize given out?

Edit: For those tired of going to the store from the deal this week, I can confirm those $20 prices on PS4 w/GCU are online. So even if your store doesn't participate in the event you are in luck. :)

Just came back from one in Iowa. The LBP3 demo was unmanned and the system was stuck in an update instal loop and no one seemed bothered to do anything about it. so didn't have a chance to play it which disappointed my son. The prize given out was a small LBP3 poster.

Picked up MLB The Show 14 on sale for 20 bucks.

I just got back. The setup is over in televisions, NOT gaming. They have it hooked up to a 60 Inch Sony. You can play 2 different levels, each has one of the 2 different characters. The loading is very slow, but the game is pretty fun. I thought it looked great. There were a few framerate hiccups, but only when things were deteriorating or falling in the level (its part of the level). If it means anything, I went over and preordered LBP3 for PS4 after playing the demo, even though I was gonna Day 1 that bad boy anyways. . You get a free Sackboy Plus at Best Buy if you preorder.

They give you a free Little Big Planet 3 poster. I grabbed a couple. One for my classroom and one for my daughter.

The real shit was they had an Axiom Verge Demo on PS4. It was awesome. They have also added a Driveclub Demo, the new Fifa, and NBA2k15 demos as well.

Top Bottom