• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

bebop242

I just got back. The setup is over in televisions, NOT gaming. They have it hooked up to a 60 Inch Sony. You can play 2 different levels, each has one of the 2 different characters. The loading is very slow, but the game is pretty fun. I thought it looked great. There were a few framerate hiccups, but only when things were deteriorating or falling in the level (its part of the level). If it means anything, I went over and preordered LBP3 for PS4 after playing the demo, even though I was gonna Day 1 that bad boy anyways. . You get a free Sackboy Plus at Best Buy if you preorder.

They give you a free Little Big Planet 3 poster. I grabbed a couple. One for my classroom and one for my daughter.

The real shit was they had an Axiom Verge Demo on PS4. It was awesome. They have also added a Driveclub Demo, the new Fifa, and NBA2k15 demos as well.

I think that depends on the store. Mine had it on a small tv on a endcap in the gaming area. I asked the lady at the welcome table by the front door where the demo was and directed me to it and told me they were having issues.

I think that depends on the store. Mine had it on a small tv on a endcap in the gaming area. I asked the lady at the welcome table by the front door where the demo was and directed me to it and told me they were having issues.

Yeah, it probably does depend on the store. My Best Buy is pushing the PS4 hardcore. They have like 2.5 aisles in gaming that are ALL PS4. A TV that just shows footage, and another that has demos on it. They have about 1.5 aisles for Xbox One with a TV showing footage, but no demo unit.

Then in the TV Section, they have a big PlayStation 4 sign above 2 Sony TVs. They have a demo unit that is hooked up to BOTH TVS. So you can play the demo and look at either TV.

bebop242

Yeah, it probably does depend on the store. My Best Buy is pushing the PS4 hardcore. They have like 2.5 aisles in gaming that are ALL PS4. A TV that just shows footage, and another that has demos on it. They have about 1.5 aisles for Xbox One with a TV showing footage, but no demo unit.

Then in the TV Section, they have a big PlayStation 4 sign above 2 Sony TVs. They have a demo unit that is hooked up to BOTH TVS. So you can play the demo and look at either TV.

nice, wanna switch stores? Mine had about 3 workers applying security devices on a bunch of Xbox One ass creed bundles lol.

nice, wanna switch stores? Mine had about 3 workers applying security devices on a bunch of Xbox One ass creed bundles lol.

You know what is crazy? My Best Buy didn't have a single Xbox One on the shelves. I am sure they have them in the back or something, but they were gonzo. They didn't have any standard PS4s either, only a couple of Destiny Bundles.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but you can get the deal with any sim starter kit. It doesn't have to be in any order as long as your membership is pulled up and everything is scanned the price will go down, this is the one I bought to get it for $10 bucks.

20141107_121455.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on this. They didn't have any of the $6 activation kits, but they did have this one for $10. I thought being covered till Feb 2018 would be fine, and give me 3 years to find another deal on GCU. But as I was sitting around I thought that I would probably not find a deal better than $10...

So I just got back from Best Buy and picked up the kit in the image above, just checked and I'm renewed till Feb 2020....It worked without any issues... The cashier was like "I know what you are doing" and she just laughed......

webkatt

What was the LBP3 gift?
I finally stopped by a store got a simcard for 6.99-$5.00 reward cert I got in a email.

At the front of the store there was a desk giving away small Christmas stockings if you presented your rewards card. Got a pair of Moda? earbuds.

What was the LBP3 gift?
I finally stopped by a store got a simcard for 6.99-$5.00 reward cert I got in a email.

At the front of the store there was a desk giving away small Christmas stockings if you presented your rewards card. Got a pair of Moda? earbuds.

LBP3 poster...

rainy_day

Went back again, So I ended up extending til nov 1 2020!!

Thanks for the heads up on the sim cards!

I now have 2 Samsung gusto3's and 1 h20 sim card and 6 years of GCU!
Will be donating one of the phones and probably the sim card to the woman's center that was linked previously. Keeping one phone for a backup if my fiance's Verizon phone dies.

I tried telling some of my friends about this deal and to my surprise no one really seemed to jump at it. This was the deal of the year!

netguy503

Will be donating one of the phones and probably the sim card to the woman's center that was linked previously. Keeping one phone for a backup if my fiance's Verizon phone dies.

I tried telling some of my friends about this deal and to my surprise no one really seemed to jump at it. This was the deal of the year!

I tried telling a friend about it but he is loyal to gamestop because he has a friend that works there and gets "deals" that way. I'm sure any gamestop "deals" can't even match GCU.

He also posted a picture on facebook of a gamestop smash bros tourney that his gamestop held recently on probably the smallest tv I've ever seen in my life and you had to arc your head up to see the screen, it wasn't even at eye level to the player. I felt bad.

Just got my welcome email. This is starting to feel real. Real goooooood.

Now, here's an issue I have, and would like some thoughts:

I WAS gonna use the "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" coupon for some used games, but I can't redeem it online -_- it's only for in-store use, and 3 of the used games I was gonna get aren't available in my area's stores.

How can I get around this? Should I place an order for the 3 games from the site, return the games in store and rebuy it with the coupon immediately after? Or should I get whatever games they have in the store and just trade in my free game for some credit back? What's an ideal solution for this?

And last time asking this, but can someone use these Net 10 SIM cards I bought? I'm seriously about to hang them on the wall in my office.

Korosenai

I preordered call of duty online on Sunday, and picked the game up the next day on Monday. I obviously preordered it, and when I bought it online it say preorder for the button. Everytime I go to check my purchase history on my best buy though, it still hasn't given me my extra 500 points for preordering.

When I preordered Sunset Overdrive, it gave me the 500 points almost instantly. Anyone know what's up with this? Anyway to fix it?

eggwolio

I have no intention of returning the sim cards I have, but as I asked before, is there a benefit to someone if I donate these somewhere? I never bought just straight-out sim cards before and it looks like one would need to pay just to use these things.

You could try taking them to a local women's shelter. They often provide phones to women and prepaid would be a good option for that. Worst case scenario is they say "no thanks"

Yeah I told all my friends and coworkers and they just shrugged. I guess some people don't like the idea of doing their gaming shopping solely at one store. I did manage to convince one friend when he decided to do some Christmas shopping and I showed him he would save $50 right of the bat if he would take the couple minutes to sign up.

I hate parcel services more than I hate most other retailers so I didn't have a problem buying in even at $60.

//ARCANUM

Just placed my bestbuy.com order for Halo MCC for 48$! Love GCU!

Does anyone know how Best Buy is with more obscure (for them anyway) games? I have a preorder for the limited edition Persona Q on amazon, but I would like to get it 20% off with my GCU discount. They have it listed on bestbuy.com but it has no art on the page... I worry about canceling my amazon order and placing the best buy order and then there is a problem with it and i never get it...

can anyone shed some light on experiences similar? did you choose shipping or in store pickup? will they even get it in store if i choose pickup? etc?

thanks!

I was checking my BB account page and under Gamer's Club it had a Nov 4 2020 date last time I was on it. Now it has nothing there. I still have it but it is odd that it is now blank. There online system is not the greatest. Also why don't they update their $10 gift certificate page and remove games that have already released? I don't like when sites are inaccurate and outdated. Especially for a company that seems like it should be tech savvy.

Raven77

I hate doing this, but can someone please explain to me what I need to do to take advantage of this? I can't tell what I'm supposed to buy to get the most for my money.

Sorry never used Gamer Club before so I'm really confused even after reading through a lot of the recent pages of the thread. Heading up to Best Buy in an hour.

OraleeWey

I hate doing this, but can someone please explain to me what I need to do to take advantage of this? I can't tell what I'm supposed to buy to get the most for my money.

Sorry never used Gamer Club before so I'm really confused even after reading through a lot of the recent pages of the thread. Heading up to Best Buy in an hour.

You missed it.

You can still buy a game of $40 and get GCU for $30.

Be a rewards zone member

Pick up a game you want

Get a GCU card from an employee, customer service, gaming section, or SKU number

Go to checkout, give them your rewards zone card or phone number, and checkout both items (game + GCU) and the system will do the rest.

Raven77

You missed it.

You can still buy a game of $40 and get GCU for $30.

Be a rewards zone member

Pick up a game you want

Get a GCU card from an employee, customer service, gaming section, or SKU number

Go to checkout, give them your rewards zone card or phone number, and checkout both items (game + GCU) and the system will do the rest.

Oh okay thanks. What do you mean by "buy a game of $40"? Does it have to be a $39.99 game or can it be any game over 40 dollars?

and $30 is still a great deal.

in two years, spend $150+ on sealed games, 20% to save $30. The $39.99 game is already discounted, so spend $110 more to pay back what you spent.

javadoze

So when does the welcome email come in for GCU? Just did the deal yesterday and nothing's showing up on my Bestbuy profile.

netguy503

So when does the welcome email come in for GCU? Just did the deal yesterday and nothing's showing up on my Bestbuy profile.

I did the deal on thursday to get my membership from 2020 to 2022 and neither the date has changed nor the welcome email. Imagine how I feel. :( It is still pending though so I will wait until it gets out of pending to get really mad. But I haven't even got my $10 back from my Sunday purchase of COD (so it's been exactly a week). That is why I stopped giving BB money until this is all cleared up even though that deal last week was amazing (and I did get 4 years for $30 out of it...hopefully).

fade_

Is this really true?

How would I go from Phone still in plastic, to ready to use as a 911 device?
Any set up necessary or just have it charged?

Just have it charged, doesnt have to be activated. Might need to recharged it every few months or so though. Also they won't have a number when you call so if you get disconnected youll have to call back.

Forgot to mention that this is in the US and its required by law here, not sure about other countries.

Got a $20 phone yesterday and two years of GCU. Should be paid for within two games, just bummed i have to go to best buy now instead of amazon release day delivery.

LaneDS

Got a $20 phone yesterday and two years of GCU. Should be paid for within two games, just bummed i have to go to best buy now instead of amazon release day delivery.

Looks like they have free release day delivery in some (all?) cases for online orders, unless I'm mistaken.

netguy503

Looks like they have free release day delivery in some (all?) cases for online orders, unless I'm mistaken.

No you're not. I just got lego Batman 3 PS4 and it told me it would be here Monday ( 1 day before release day). I did order two weeks in advance of release though, maybe that is the trick.

wowzors

Just placed my bestbuy.com order for Halo MCC for 48$! Love GCU!

Does anyone know how Best Buy is with more obscure (for them anyway) games? I have a preorder for the limited edition Persona Q on amazon, but I would like to get it 20% off with my GCU discount. They have it listed on bestbuy.com but it has no art on the page... I worry about canceling my amazon order and placing the best buy order and then there is a problem with it and i never get it...

can anyone shed some light on experiences similar? did you choose shipping or in store pickup? will they even get it in store if i choose pickup? etc?

thanks!

For me I would say they are pretty awesome for it. I ordered Senran Kagura lets get physical and Freedom Wars and got them both on release day (they were just packaged in a mailer so that part sucks). I think im gonna order akibas trip from them aswell.

Had BB price match Radioshack's $5 LG 440G yesterday. Picked up Infamous SS during the one-day $25 sale and $5 off with GCU, so I already made my money back, hahah. This seems too good to be true.

AgeEighty

As good of a deal as this is, Best Buy will never get another penny of my money. I had a store manager there be a real asshole to me about the return of a product that was still in its sealed package, because I was a couple of days past the return date (despite the fact that I had been in the store before the return date to ask about a return and the girl said sure, return it any time that week and they'd take care of it). I know I was asking him to bend a rule slightly, but it was his attitude about it that pissed me off: condescending and combative right from the get-go. And their corporate office refused to help me as well.

Never again.

Petrie

Banned
As good of a deal as this is, Best Buy will never get another penny of my money. I had a store manager there be a real asshole to me about the return of a product that was still in its sealed package, because I was a couple of days past the return date (despite the fact that I had been in the store before the return date to ask about a return and the girl said sure, return it any time that week and they'd take care of it). I know I was asking him to bend a rule slightly, but it was his attitude about it that pissed me off: condescending and combative right from the get-go. And their corporate office refused to help me as well.

Never again.

So you're mad they have a policy and stuck with it?

ok.

inki

Lucky me I guess. I got the trac phone and price matched last Tuesday got 2 years unlocked. Ok cool, on sat I wanted to get 2 more years just cause why the hell not? So I got the $7 activation kit.. Now I wasn't a previous unlocked member.

I checked this morning and my Unlocked is good until 11/7/2020

Not sure how or why this happened. Theoretically it should end 11/7/2018.

Anyone else see anything like this?

Brew124

So if I preorder Halo right now, am I still eligible for the $10 preorder bonus?

You should be, as long as it still shows the game eligible for the promotion under the My Rewards section. I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed last night and still was able to get the $10.

Oscar

Lucky me I guess. I got the trac phone and price matched last Tuesday got 2 years unlocked. Ok cool, on sat I wanted to get 2 more years just cause why the hell not? So I got the $7 activation kit.. Now I wasn't a previous unlocked member.

I checked this morning and my Unlocked is good until 11/7/2020

Not sure how or why this happened. Theoretically it should end 11/7/2018.

Anyone else see anything like this?

Did you buy any games from there recently? Maybe it kicked in two extra years due to another game related promotion.

You should be, as long as it still shows the game eligible for the promotion under the My Rewards section. I pre-ordered Assassin's Creed last night and still was able to get the $10.
How long does it take to update that $10? I pre ordered cod and it didn't show up yet.

Also is anyone familiar with the 50% off Xbox live if you pre order mcc?

Just have it charged, doesnt have to be activated. Might need to recharged it every few months or so though. Also they won't have a number when you call so if you get disconnected youll have to call back.

Forgot to mention that this is in the US and its required by law here, not sure about other countries.

Cool. Now I can make use of this. Thanks!

Top Bottom