• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy IMPLODES: 400 Layoffs, 50 stores closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGS

Banned
Haha, the review where they guy said he had to save up for a long time because he worked at Wendy's so he could plug it in to his 37 inch Dynex had me in tears.
I was seeing if Amazon sold them too and this guy wrote:
At first I thought, what sort of complete moron would pay $700 for an HDMI cable? I mean, this could only be marketed by unethical jerks and purchased by rubes who also believe in Corinthian Leather.

Boy was I wrong! I mean sure, the cable did reach the entire 6.6 feet it was advertised to. But then, both video AND sound came out of it. Like some miraculous A/V faucet. It fit right into both sockets on the TV and DVD player perfectly, like it was made for them.

But once I got bored with that I started checking out some of its other value-added features. You can tie it into a knot in case you need to tie something in a knot. You can use it to spank your children if they start trying to touch your TV or DVD player. I was able to pull it tight between two fixed objects and hang 6.6 feet of wet laundry from it to dry. My neighbor came over and I was showing off NASCAR on my sweet HDMI powered TV, but he kept getting distracted by the cable. Once I explained to him that this was 6.6 feet of miracle, he was like, "I wish I had one." Then he killed himself. That part was sad, especially since I didn't get a chance to tell him where to buy it. He didn't have $700 anyway so it might be for the best. But his wife saw it too and now we are dating. When I go to church, I like to use the cable as a belt because I figure a cable this good must come from God and he would enjoy seeing it again.

Look, this HDMI cable changed my life. And it will probably change yours too. In a good way, i mean.
Best Buy ones are hilarious too. This is almost thread worthy. No way to get a serious review of 600+ 6ft HDMI cables. I'm kind of obsessed with finding a real review now.

As much as I recommend Fry's, I do agree about receipt checking (it doesn't really bother me, but if there's a line to check receipts, I'm out the door) and their Gamestop-like handling of products (made the terrible mistake of buying a used motherboard and was too lazy to return it).

Houston-gaf, have you guys checked out Directron? I might start buying my computer parts there.

h1nch

My friend overheard a sales kid trying to sell an old lady some $3000 PC when all she really needed was something to check email and surf the web. When he stepped in to let her know that she was being upsold, he was asked to leave the store.

I hope BB crumbles and goes the way of Circuit City.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Fry's is incredibly hostile. Buy a "brand new" motherboard and guess what, it's got finger prints on it. I have no idea how they haven't been sued to shit for repackaging goods and selling them as new.

They're not supposed to do that. There should have been an orange and white open box sticker on there.

ericexpo

Once watched my friend buy a on sale $60 blu-ray player then $60 monster wire and then $40 replacement plan. I couldn't understand a box that changes a disc into a picture could be the same price as 8' of copper wire. Best buy was full of win that day.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Damn. I heard their corporate environment was a really good place to work.

Anyways, they can survive up here in Canada since we don't have real amazon to eat their lunch.

My friend overheard a sales kid trying to sell an old lady some $3000 PC when all she really needed was something to check email and surf the web. When he stepped in to let her know that she was being upsold, he was asked to leave the store.

Your friend sounds annoying as shit.

Dead

well not really...yet

I'm not seeing any issue with this

As a former employee of Best Buy (and someone who later worked as a vendor for them) this is sad to see.

But I think the major restructuring they went through (3 years ago maybe?) probably hurt them more than helped. I don't know the specifics, but I can tell you that once it happened there was no one left on the floor who knew where anything was in Media once the product placement team left for the day---I mean, if a vendor can't get help what chance does a customer have?. Hell, I probably knew where product was better than they did, and I maybe was there six hours a week.

BB HDMI cables and a few other accessories are drastically overpriced. We're not talking the usual B&M vs. Online markup, it's just straight up fleecing grandma and grandpa since they don't know no better. BB isn't the only chain guilty of this, but that doesn't make them innocent.

This is an impossible situation to solve. The amount of overhead this corporation has is requiring these nightmarish HDMI prices, pushy protection plans, shitty return policies, and scenarios where old ladies come to Geek Squad to have their '04 Compaq 'repaired' for $150 (i.e. wipe HDD to get rid of spyware).

Being from the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro this will hurt, but there's still plenty of more successful Fortune500 companies to spread the love.

Also, Micro Center is pretty awesome.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
In store is only great when you know what your buying or don't care about the quality or competition of the product.

Fixed. In store you have limited selection, and have to physically waste hours comparison shopping and relying on bad information (sales people).

Online you can price compare different shops, get verified reviews from real people, and lookup product reliability.

JGS

Banned
Fixed. In store you have limited selection, and have to physically waste hours comparison shopping and relying on bad information (sales people).

Online you can price compare different shops, get verified reviews from real people, and lookup product reliability.

This is kinda funny considering how much Best Buy is used to test the exact same thing found on Amazon

Thank god there are still smaller electronics stores that fulfill a particular niche around where I live. Buying cameras and lenses online sucks. And the people in those kinds of stores are more knowledgeable too.

This is kinda funny considering how much Best Buy is used to test the exact same thing found on Amazon

I only did this with the Vita. One of my issues is their desire to demo non-working 'shell' cell phones on the floor. I would actually enjoy being surrounded by 5 carriers and all the phones they have to offer once my contract is up.

DR3AM

its funny when people like us, people that know about computers and electronics, tell a friend about an item and where to buy for cheap and they still go to best buy ( or any other store) and buy the same item for more.

sometimes people would tell me they need a basic computer for $300-$400,i spend hours looking for something cheap and basic, i tell them about it, tell them to go buy it and they come out with a $2000 pc. always makes me angry.

vaelic

Banned
its funny when people like us, people that know about computers and electronics, tell a friend about an item and where to buy for cheap and they still go to best buy ( or any other store) and buy the same item for more.

sometimes people would tell me they need a basic computer for $300-$400,i spend hours looking for something cheap and basic, i tell them about it, tell them to go buy it and they come out with a $2000 pc. always makes me angry.

Sheep

TheTowel

They're not supposed to do that. There should have been an orange and white open box sticker on there.

Doesn't mean they put it on there. I've seen the sticker. I've also seen products shamelessly re-shrink wrapped labeled as new. But that's Fry's. We expect to be screwed and they expect to be screwed. It's mutual.

Best buy seems to be going down the drain recently. Always re-organized, products are harder and harder to find, and it's just a mess inside. Least that's how the Pasadena store is.

DR3AM

i hate how frys has all these open items but they are only $3-5 off compared to they new and sealed item right next to it. if you ask the manager, they usually give you 10% off

NoRéN

This so much! Why? Why?

My uncle wanted a cheap 32". I tell him to check amazon: low prices, free shipping, no tax, awesome customer service.

He goes to best buy and ends up spending about $100 more for a Tv plus an expensive hdmi cable.

I didn't know Best Buy even sold $3000 PCs. I didn't know $3000 PCs even existed outside of some sort of specially built gaming PC that you could never find in a store.

Breaking: The massive 3 story Best Buy in Boston, on Mass Ave and Newbury is closing. The store was previously a Virgin Megastore. The store is always packed.

Liquidation begins TODAY.

Store is floors 1-3, I believe floor 4 is used as storage by them.

bestbuy2.jpg

Breaking: The massive 3 story Best Buy in Boston, on Mass Ave and Newbury is closing. The store was previously a Virgin Megastore. The store is always packed.

bestbuy2.jpg

You're my hero. I know what I'm doing when I've slept off the drunk.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

bestbuy2.jpg
I was really surprised when I heard this. I go to the Landmark Center store much more often, but still, bummer. The discounts will probably be minimal at first, but I guess it might not hurt to look...

Valnen

It still blows my mind that many, many people still refuse to shop online.

I know people in their early 20s who refuse to buy games or anything else online because it is "stupid" (Direct quote). Even with release date delivery.

"stupid"

1. Sometimes when I want to buy something, I want it immediately. Not tomorrow. Not 2-3 days from now. Now.

2. Release day delivery isn't as good as midnight release.

Awww, the East Palo Alto one near near me is closing. Then again, I never go there anymore so I guess I should not be surprised.

Ironically, that Best Buy killed off a neighboring Circuit City.

Alex

Yeah, sometimes you really do need oddball pieces or items the same day. I needed an adapter on Friday for something I had bought online and I wasn't about to wait the weekend + 2 or 3 days next week just to get it up and running.

I use Walmart for stuff like that more than Best Buy, though. I try to keep out of Best Buy at all costs because I always have some huge issue getting checked out in a timely manner at the one here. Theres always something that seems to break.

Release date delivery > Midnight launches though, for me. There are few things I want to do less than hang out in front of a game store at midnight in the middle of the week, especially with some of the people who show up to those things. Coming home and having my item tucked into my screen door is def my preferred method.

So what can be expected at liquidations? Big markdowns or not really? I assume that unsold inventory will be merely moved to another store. One closed in our town and they are reopening today just for liquidation.

Tobor

Yeah, sometimes you really do need oddball pieces or items the same day. I needed an adapter on Friday for something I had bought online and I wasn't about to wait the weekend + 2 or 3 days next week just to get it up and running.

I use Walmart for stuff like that more than Best Buy, though. I try to keep out of Best Buy at all costs because I always have some huge issue getting checked out in a timely manner at the one here. Theres always something that seems to break.

Release date delivery > Midnight launches though, for me. There are few things I want to do less than hang out in front of a game store at midnight in the middle of the week, especially with some of the people who show up to those things. Coming home and having my item tucked into my screen door is def my preferred method.

Last minute cables and adapters aren't enough to support big box superstores.

Lijik

But if Best Buy closes down where will I go to buy a new copy of Harlem Globetrotters on the GBA?

(please tell me its not just the best buys in my area that inexplicably always have this game in stock)

no angel

When their uk stores closed they remained more expensive than amazon and other online retailers all the way to the very end. Don't hold you breath for any bargains!

Whoa that one is closing in Boston 0_o , I would have assumed the one in Fenway/ landmark center would be closing.

Those two best buys were about 10-20 apart from each other too lol.

I'm going later but I'll assume it will be 5% off after mark up, like circuit city had

no angel

Have any of you shopped in their mobile stores? Are they any good? Are they even any different to other mobile retailers?

CrankyJay

Banned
Odd, can't believe that none of the 4 Buffalo, NY area stores are closing.

edit: Then again, we have Canada right over the border as well as a somewhat large older/elderly population that probably prefers to buy stuff locally.

Husker86

My TV from Amazon came cracked in 3 places, didn't want to wait a month for it to be back in stock. Best Buy had the same model for the same price and even the same 3D glasses from Samsung for $19.99. I was out tax but I was pleasantly surprised.

Vyer

Have any of you shopped in their mobile stores? Are they any good? Are they even any different to other mobile retailers?

The one I've been to sucks. Very tiny, poor selection even though it's all one focus (mobile phone accessories primarily). It's like a bigger mall kiosk shoved into a storefront.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom