• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best fast, free image host to replace IMGUR since it went to shit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noelshack is a good alternative to Abload if you prefer French to German.

- No file compression
- Up to 20mb per file
- Can upload multiple files at the same time
- You can get the direct links to multiple uploaded files all at the same time (one per line)

andthebeatgoeson

I share a pic and their app is terrible. Sometimes you have to make it public, probably because they want you to hang around or interact. So people will comment on your pictures of they are public.

Snarky comments, like, 'I've never seen this before.'

I'm like, dude, I'm just here to host a pic. I don't give a fuck about your social interactions or your comments.

I think i have a negative rating. I guess I'm glad. Go to Facebook or Instagram if you want interaction.

Spladam

I just batch uploaded a bunch of gifs yesterday to imgur, just dragged and dropped from file explorer, I don't understand what the problem is. Their UI has always been a bit messy, but I can get to any one of my albums in two clicks.

They always turn to shit because they figure out that hosting massive amounts of data is not cheap and then they try to make some dough.

I share a pic and their app is terrible. Sometimes you have to make it public, probably because they want you to hang around or interact. So people will comment on your pictures of they are public.

Snarky comments, like, 'I've never seen this before.'

I'm like, dude, I'm just here to host a pic. I don't give a fuck about your social interactions or your comments.

I think i have a negative rating. I guess I'm glad. Go to Facebook or Instagram if you want interaction.

Dunno about their app but on desktop making the image public is not mandatory at all...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know of any free image hosts that don't have some kind of sucky catch. If you want something for free you usually have to put up with a bit of suckiness as the suckiness is what tends to pay for it being free.

How can so many people recommend abload? I hate abload. I dunno what it is but most of the time the links will load fine in a thread, I'll be like "whoa cool I should send this to a buddy," I copy the URL and send it to them, and they're like "uh there's no picture." It sends you to a 1x1 image error page. Every time I want to share anything from abload I have to re-upload it to imgur.

Which is extremely easy by the way, you don't have to click "upload image" or anything. You can literally copy/paste on the main page, no account required. Go to imgur.com, ctrl+v, right click image to copy URL. Don't know where OP is getting these hoops they think they have to jump through.

Are there any hidden limitations regarding image deletion? Such as expiring links if not viewed once every n days, or such? I've seen NoelShack used on some French gaming forums but never looked far into it.

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know there's no expiration.

I just checked some old thread I used Noelshack on back in 2012 (Noelshack was created that year) and the images still load.

Yeef

Used to be I could upload pictures and get share links fast and easy, or drag and drop a bunch of pics and get share links just as easily (or right click copy destination). Nowadays there's all sorts of hoops that you have to jump through. Several more clicks are needed to get the goods and it takes precious extra seconds/minutes to do pretty much everything.
I don't know if it's different on mobile or something, but on desktop you can just drag and drop on the main page and it'll immediately upload. It doesn't say as much anywhere, but I just tried it and it works fine.

NeOak

Remember minus?

I had a bunch of files there that I lost because I didn't back them up.

Imgur is still manageable.

Chris1

Been looking for an alternative too

Sad how every decent image uploading site goes to shit image shack, tiny pic now imgur

tcrunch

The last time I used abload its ability to host gifs or large files was pretty pathetic, they take forever to load on my connection, but imgur or almost anything else is fast

It would be nice if this forum embedded webms like some other forums do so I could just use gfycat

test_account

XP-39C²
Used to be I could upload pictures and get share links fast and easy, or drag and drop a bunch of pics and get share links just as easily (or right click copy destination). Nowadays there's all sorts of hoops that you have to jump through. Several more clicks are needed to get the goods and it takes precious extra seconds/minutes to do pretty much everything.
Right clicking still works just fine. You have to wait for the green progress bar to finish, then its just to right click on the picture and copy the link to the picture. I just tested it, no problem. If you try to do this before the progress bar is done, it wont work.

Drazgul

Imgur is great, I have no idea what you people are doing that makes it not work for you. And it now accepts PNGs as-is and won't recompress JPEGs either.

Abload is also good.

Bullshit, I tried to upload some 1440p screenshots and Imgur ruined them. Unless this is a really recent change, in which case good for them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ditto Pyromaniac. Still fine for me. I have a menu at extension that i can drag and drop onto for quick uploading and hosting. It's all I need.

At least it's not minus.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'm glorious on imgur, so.....imgur.

:p
Me too, and all I ever did is shitpost with zero intentions of making it to the front page.

Meowster

I use puush. You basically run it on your computer and host pictures onto it.. I don't think there is a size limit. I've had gifs close to twenty MB on it before. You can also upload images through the puush app too.

jett

D-Member
Bullshit, I tried to upload some 1440p screenshots and Imgur ruined them. Unless this is a really recent change, in which case good for them.

I think it's actually been a while since it's been months since they've allowed PNGs.

1.5 MB jpeg on Imgur
Same upload on abload.de.

Imgur is pretty great to me. I've had an account there for a while and I keep all my uploads organized.

Abload is great if you want a classic, traditional (and anonymous) image uploader.

Coreda

You shouldn't call what other people say bullshit if you don't know what you're talking about, then. Jpegs are now untouched. It's actually been a while since it's been months since they've allowed PNGs.

1.5 MB jpeg on Imgur
Same upload on abload.de.

The Imgur is a 160KB smaller in filesize. See an brightened difference comparison from PS.

According to Imgur's help:

PNG files over 5MB will be converted to JPEGs.

Non-animated images over 1MB for anonymous uploads and 5MB for account holders will be lossily compressed.

Edit: guess you edited but still relevant info. And many upload PNGs all the time to imgur. For OTs and the avatar thread for example.

SmokeMaxX

I don't know what they were thinking with Photobucket. With the newest app (unless they've changed it), you literally can't upload your pictures to your account. Like wtf is the point of that?

jett

D-Member
The Imgur is a 160KB smaller in filesize. See an brightened difference comparison from PS.

According to Imgur's help:

Edit: guess you edited but still relevant info. And many upload PNGs all the time to imgur. For OTs and the avatar thread for example.

What can I say. I flip between both pictures on a 42 inch screen I really can't see a single difference. In any case, it's absolutely nothing like how it was before where the macroblocks literally screamed at you.

I guess since I haven't uploaded images over 5MB I didn't get hit by their compression algorithm. Good to know there are some limits, thanks.

Accoun

Just wanted to say thanks. Went to Imgur on mobile today and they seem to get rid of uploader altogether. They tell me to use the app instead.
I can change the user agent, but the standard website is a pain to use on mobile.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just wanted to say thanks. Went to Imgur on mobile today and they seem to get rid of uploader altogether. They tell me to use the app instead.
I can change the user agent, but the standard website is a pain to use on mobile.

Yeah, they really screwed themselves with this move. I can't figure out how to edit image size through the app either. So if I take a screenshot with my phone it's either share the whole image in 2k or upload to my PC, edit it and then upload to imgur. Nightmare.

Gattsu25

Banned
Yeah, they really screwed themselves with this move. I can't figure out how to edit image size through the app either. So if I take a screenshot with my phone it's either share the whole image in 2k or upload to my PC, edit it and then upload to imgur. Nightmare.
Do you have an Android phone?

You can just use google "Photos" app (has a 🌈-colored pinwheel icon) edit the image and then crop it.

Alternatively, you can use "Snapseed" on both iOS or Android to do the same thing but there are a few more 'taps' required to do the cropping.

Can this help? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=231912100&postcount=28

upload.ee or abload.de work well.

Nah bro:
* Anonymous files expire 50 days and registered users' files expire 120 after last download

Can't even save gifs or regular images on my phone anymore. Tried to save one 5 times last night and it either became an unplayable MP4 file or a borked gif that appeared as a file but didn't exist.

Instro

Even if you have an account, I couldn't find a way to upload shit lol. Wtf is with all the image hosting sites going to shit after a couple years.

WedgeX

Banned

Yeah I noticed this yesterday. Definitely not going to download an app just so I can upload.

Have gone through so many uploaders over the years.

azyless

I use postimage.io. Don't know if it's the best but I haven't had issues unless I want to upload a huge gif or something (limit is 8 Mo I believe).
Abload is good too.

I hate abload.de

Whenever I try to link in a chat or something, their side shows up as 404 when they click the link unless they copy and paste the link into their browser.

Apathy

Even if you have an account, I couldn't find a way to upload shit lol. Wtf is with all the image hosting sites going to shit after a couple years.

Bandwidth cost and them all wanting to start off with no or minimal ads and with no revenue paths. Eventually leads them all towards being more than just hosting to find any revenue path they can signing up users

Instro

Bandwidth cost and them all wanting to start off with no or minimal ads and with no revenue paths. Eventually leads them all towards being more than just hosting to find any revenue path they can signing up users

That's fine it just usually seems to coincide with their main service going to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom