• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Fighting Game Walking Animations

Menitta

There aren't too many characters in fighting games with good walking animations, or at least ones that stand out. One that instantly comes to mind is Makoto's from 3rd Strike.

pnpvlTQ.gif

It's such a silky smooth animation, and it sums up the character perfectly. Also, with Makoto's play-style, you'll be walking forward more often than other characters, so she needs to have a good walking animation.

What are some other stand out walking animations?

It can be other than fighting games too.

Azure J

This would be where I'd put Jack-O's walking animations from XrdR, but there are apparently no gifs of this. How strange.

There aren't too many characters in fighting games with good walking animations, or at least ones that stand out.

I cannot disagree with this more, but luckily we're probably going to get a large thread proving you wrong. (Perhaps that was your plan all along.)

Let's have more Skullgirls animations. I can't find a good Double GIF, but here's Squigly:

sm0Z5ay.gif

Menitta

I cannot disagree with this more, but luckily we're probably going to get a large thread proving you wrong. (Perhaps that was your plan all along.)

Uh...Yes! It was totally my plan all along!

a55.png

I do think the ratio of memorable walk cycles to boring ones is low. There are a lot of fighting game characters.

Saoshyant

The first thing I thought of reading the thread title is the boss walking Takuma does in KOFXIII. Nobody posted it and I cannot find a GIF either. Please, someone post that if you know where to find it. It's just that great.

I do think the ratio of memorable walk cycles to just kinda skipping along or just regular walking is low. There are a lot of fighting game characters.
Sure, I can agree with that. The ratio definitely leans towards more generic, normal walking animations. (Honestly that's probably appropriate, making every animation goofy or exaggerated would take away from the stuff you actually want to make seem important.)

But like you say, there's been so many fighting game characters, even if only 5% of them have cool walking animations that probably gives us maybe a hundred awesome examples...

I'd like to post some Last Blade stuff, but my Google-fu is terrible today.

Pompadour

slayer-walk.gif

This is basically another taunt for Slayer. After pilebunkering my opponent into the corner I often opt out of chasing them down to continue the pressure because smugly walking forward with Slayer is too much fun.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Makoto's the first thing that came to mind. Good work, OP.

Not sure if it counts, but Q's dopey forward dash is an astounding taunt.

Azuardo

Not the best quality, but you gotta love Marie Rose's trolling.

(what's the best YouTube-GIF converter btw? I used imgur here)

B1RlmO7.gif

Edit: better?

XwjIPVa.gif

Top Bottom