• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Fighting Game Walking Animations

Hokutomaru from Garou of the Wolves
hokuto-walkf.gif

Vans

Would make sense. Would surprise me that NO ONE is able to rip them properly though, since I'm sure such things have been encountered in all manner of games before.

I just haven't enjoyed their in-between details much in a good long while, even when watching in game.

Oh the spritesets themselves are ripped properly (straight rips from the game data), but no one has made the effort to properly piece them together using the animation data (this is more complicated).

The thing with these sprites is that the sprite data itself doesn't hold any information regarding alignment (unlike sprite sets from say, NeoGeo King of Fighters). The alignment information has to be read from a separate table of data.

slayer-walk.gif

This is basically another taunt for Slayer. After pilebunkering my opponent into the corner I often opt out of chasing them down to continue the pressure because smugly walking forward with Slayer is too much fun.
Another thing I love about his walk is that he's hovering a little above the ground.

Sesha

No gifs, but Nemesis' forwards and backwards walking animations in UMvC3. I love it when characters walk slowly to/from, and also turn their back on the opponent.

The SFIV rendition without the jacket is the saddest thing.

SFIV was a mistake.

mai-kof13-walkforward.gif

I can't find a gif of Juri's walk animation from SFIV but that was godlike too.

Yes yes everyone loves Mai jiggly bits but a lot of characters in XII/XIII have great walking animations. First on the top or my head are Ash and Vice. Can't find any cool gifs of other XII/XIII sprites online though.

Yuritchi

Neo Member
The first thing I thought of reading the thread title is the boss walking Takuma does in KOFXIII. Nobody posted it and I cannot find a GIF either. Please, someone post that if you know where to find it. It's just that great.

As a fan of the old man, I have to help fix this!

po8JSOc.gif

His shit eating grin is just incredible

Have a bonus Mr. Big too.

big-walkf.gif

Alucard SOTN

Not a "fighting game" but the sprite based animations are still OP IMO

tumblr_o59ppzfKP81qd4q8ao1_500.gif
Why you have fighting game in quotes?

There aren't too many characters in fighting games with good walking animations, or at least ones That stand out...
Since chatcter movement is one of the main ways to depict personality, I think you'll find tons of great walks in fighting games with good art direction. Pretty much everyone on Skullgirls and a ton of Arcsys charcters have great walks. The same with a lot of SNK characters and 90s CAPCOM.

Does anyone in NRS games have a notable walk/run cycle?

Definitely a great pick as well.

It is truly gutter trash.

I also just wanted to drop off some more beautifully stylish sprite animations.

kanji-walkforward.gif

mitsuru-walk-animation.gif

And some great resting animations. This game is gorgeous.

latest

latest

Great animation work. Kinda wish they'd port a P4A+P4AU compilation over to PS4. I never played Ultimax (came out after I sold my PS3), only played the original, but I did enjoy it a lot. I want both so I can have the complete story.

Scoping out TFG for characters not mentioned yet. I gotta say SNK did a damn fine job with Zero when you stack it up against the original MMZ sprite.

zero-runrun.gif
zero-zrun.gif

Ai (NeoGeo Battle Colosseum)

ai-forward.gif
ai-runaway.gif
airun.gif

Oswald

oswaldwalk.gif

This suave badass. I know this is about walking animations, but his run looks great too

oswald-run.gif

Hyo Amano

Speaking of suave badass
am-walk.GIF

Look at that strut!

Krammy

Oswald from The King of Fighters XI, Psylocke from the Marvel Vs. series, and any of the Shadow DIO from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure are a few of my favourites.
tumblr_inline_o2l3bfRCyc1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o89jhl3ZTG1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o89j71UNPQ1ri065t_500.gif

Naturally, Mai from The King of Fighters XIII for obvious reasons.
tumblr_inline_o7yn7sNI081ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o7yns0Kirk1ri065t_500.gif

Although not a walk cycle itself, Abyss3's only form of movement looks pretty sweet too!
tumblr_inline_o1lbqcR2oF1ri065t_500.gif

EDIT: Hulk is also smooth like butter, albeit uninteresting butter.
tumblr_inline_o8bhbsKMWy1ri065t_500.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh the spritesets themselves are ripped properly (straight rips from the game data), but no one has made the effort to properly piece them together using the animation data (this is more complicated).

The thing with these sprites is that the sprite data itself doesn't hold any information regarding alignment (unlike sprite sets from say, NeoGeo King of Fighters). The alignment information has to be read from a separate table of data.

Oh, I understand all that, thanks! I just find it funny that this hasn't been corrected in the final output. Rippers are generally pretty meticulous people, and do a great job re-building, no matter the issues. At least there are some better ones from P4A and such in here now!

Yes yes everyone loves Mai jiggly bits but a lot of characters in XII/XIII have great walking animations. First on the top or my head are Ash and Vice. Can't find any cool gifs of other XII/XIII sprites online though.

For Mai, I rather like how her hair brushes over her upraised elbow, too. Beyond the "Jiggly Bits", there's still a loving attention to fold detail and cloth weight all throught XII and XIII's animations that really help sell them to me.

I don't mind Tessa's. Her crouch's cape animation is what stands out more, though.

Capcom artist just going HAM on games with so few playable characters, lol. Tessa is great, I still want a Warzard / Red Earth port of some sort.

As a fan of the old man, I have to help fix this!

po8JSOc.gif

His shit eating grin is just incredible

Thanks for helping correct this grand, grievous issue! It really is a fantastic strut, so full of confidence. Takuma's XIII look isn't what we're used to, but it's a great take on the personality of his character.

Woah, woah. What is she from?
As mentioned above, Under Night In-Birth. Sorry, thought the context of post would cover it. Wish I could find more from that game... I love Waldstein's walk animation (nice and heavy) along with his imposing, boss-sounding music as well.

I'll just pretend this counts:

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_826sa9ebjs4k0s8c4oog08go0_640.gif

Scoping out TFG for characters not mentioned yet. I gotta say SNK did a damn fine job with Zero when you stack it up against the original MMZ sprite.

Ai (NeoGeo Battle Colosseum)
Oswald
Hyo Amano
Look at that strut!

There are all great too. NGBC had some surprisingly great animations all throughout that still impress me now. It's like the stuff used to make the NEST Saga bosses, but used on almost all the new sprites in the game. I do love Tung's Run in that game, as well:

tung-run.gif

Top Bottom