• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Fried Chicken in your area...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this is a thinly veiled *what's the best Fried chicken in the Toronto area?* thread but anyways...

For lovers of fried chicken, where do you go in your city, and is there a particular chicken chain you prefer (NO KFC please!)?

9393490-L.jpg

PFO2471.jpg

*drools*

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Most local chains that don't even mainly do Fried Chicken probably have better fried chicken then KFC.

There are no chains around here (local based) that are known for Fried Chicken though. Good Sub shop/s though :D

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Nashville, TN: Monell's Dining & Catering.

It's a restaurant built in an old house, huge tables where you are sat with strangers and served old school southern style. Huge plates of various dishes are brought out and shared by all at the table. When the fried chicken arrives, noone speaks another word, just pleasure moans. It's amazing.

jjasper

sefskillz said:

It's a restaurant built in an old house, huge tables where you are sat with strangers and served old school southern style. Huge plates of various dishes are brought out and shared by all at the table. When the fried chicken arrives, noone speaks another word, just pleasure moans. It's amazing.

Is that the place that is on Church St?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
grandmothers are genetically predisposed to make the best fried chicken in the world. no bearded colonel can replicate love, fellas.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Here's some LA representation, Chicken lovers...

1) Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch
2) Honey's Kettle
3) Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles
4) Popeye's Spicy Chicken

I feel bad if your first choice is some fast food chicken chain. There has to be better in your area. You're probably just not trying hard enough.

Archer

There's a hole in the wall shack down the street that serves "Soul Food" in Old Town Alexandria. Best fried chicken, mac/cheese and green beans I've ever had. :)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
The only fried chicken we have here in Sweden is the kind you get at McDonalds sadly :(

Well, there probably are at least some other restaurants that serve fried chicken, but I haven't seen 'em. So, it's pretty unusual. I've only eaten at KFC once, when I was in London.

Come on people, cry for me. I cant get a hold of fried chicken.

Best fried chicken in Boston?

Gonna have to go with Longhorn Steakhouse in Landmark Center. . .

Mreh. This city hates fried food; it's impossible to find good fried chicken. Because Longhorn's not that good. I pine for the good stuff back home (TN and LA)

LordMaji

Chicken Coop. It's Christian Chicken. :) There is nothing like having a bucket of chicken w/ scriptures on the side of it.

Actually their chicken sucks, and I hate that place. Lee's Chicken or Popeyes Chicken. But I love KFC's slaw!

Tuvoc

In my area(cleveland) it was
Chester Fried Chicken
76chesterfried.jpg

but the good one moved and the restaurant became

JJ's Chicken & Fish.
14077158_4b50d4070d_o.jpg

I only get it every once in a great while because their located in some pretty bad neighborhoods downtown and I get mean-mugged every time I pull up to the drive thru.

Also holding it down in the area are Hot Sauce Williams(they have bbq pork stuffed omelettes for breakfast), Webb's Alabama BBQ( they have the best po-boys... mmm kielbasa in a sub bun with fries, shoulder meat, signature bbq sauce and topped off with coleslaw), and Double Exposure(soul food in the front, strip club in the rear, lol)

I'm also a big fan of Popeye's chicken and biscuits.

....I think tonight is gonna be a popeyes night...

Popeye's is the closest thing I get to southern fried chicken and I think it's pretty damn good. One time I convinced my friend to go with me to downtown San Diego to eat at a place called Louisiana Fried Chicken. In my mind was an authentic restaurant that fried their chicken in lard and offered southern hospitality. When we arrived the place had a closed sign on the door and a "C" rating posted on the window. It looked like a run-down ice cream parlor on the inside. I was disappointed and I never went back.

I've also fried my own chicken and it turned out well. Health concerns are slightly mitigated by knowing that I am frying the chicken in new peanut oil.

Flynn

Eggo said:
Here's some LA representation, Chicken lovers...

1) Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch
2) Honey's Kettle
3) Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles
4) Popeye's Spicy Chicken

I feel bad if your first choice is some fast food chicken chain. There has to be better in your area. You're probably just not trying hard enough.

Check out Dinah's in Glendale.

Trivia: Their bucket was used in Little Miss Sunshine

tagrat

sefskillz said:

I went to Monell's a couple years ago when we had our family reunion. It was pretty good. I wanted to go up to Nashville, now I have a reason!

Enron said:
Atlanta - The Collonade

I live in Atlanta and never been here. Pretty good eh? I usually go to Mary Mac's for my southern food kick. Oh found out it is spelled Colonnade which doesn't really make it an appetizing name. Improves digestion?

Pimpbaa

Tuvoc said:
In my area(cleveland) it was
Chester Fried Chicken
76chesterfried.jpg

WTF, I thought that was just some small chain in canada. There is one way up here in newfoundland canada. Good chicken too.

Church's Chicken is the best, I'm afraid.

We don't really have popeye's in KY. I hear it's real good, though.

Fried chicken is the greatest food known to man. There, I said it.

Argyle

Flynn said:
Check out Dinah's in Glendale.

Trivia: Their bucket was used in Little Miss Sunshine

Dinah's is ok - little different style than what I'm used to but it's good in its own way.

In the Los Angeles area....I have a weakness for Shakey's, and the wings at Pann's (but the rest of the pieces tend towards dry - the wings are the way to go)...

Aunt Kizzie's is a frequent destination for me...on the westside there's also Smitty's Fish and Chicken on Venice, but to be honest I always get the fried fish there. I bet the chicken is good too tho...wish I lived/worked closer to Roscoe's :p

Also have a soft spot for Pioneer Chicken, for sentimental reasons, really. :)

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Way up north where I'm from there really aren't that many fried chicken restaurants. There's this gas station across the river in Moorhead, MN that makes really tasty broasted chicken. It's awesome and I want some right now. :(

xsarien

daedsiluap
Over the past 12 months I've eliminated a lot of Bad Things from my diet, but the fried chicken STAYS.

Now I want some, dammit...

The thing is I don't know a lot about local fried chicken, and even if I did I prefer it in strip form, not off the bone. Perhaps - perhaps! - a trip down to Popeye's is in order.

In NYC, there are scads of places for good fried chicken.
I haven't been to too many places, but one place I had some good stuff at was this place in Harlem called Mama's Spoonbread Too. Shit was serious there. <3

Of course, you've got Popeye's and KFC and Church's and whatever...and also, when it's 3am and you're drunk, a box of greasy fried chicken from those hole in the wall joints like your local Kennedy Fried is golden too. :D

I had really good fried chicken from Can't Fail Cafe in Emeryville, CA (across the street from Pixar). It's their Tuesday special.

In San Francisco, I keep going to this liquor store in the Tenderloin District, New Superrette, I believe (Eddy and Mason) that has its own deep fryer and makes homemade fried chicken. Gross, but cheap.

Oh and Popeye's spicy over Church's and KFC

bjork

Golden Bird in moreno valley was the all-time winner. They'd triplebag it and the bag would still soak through from grease. Sooooo good.

dedhead54

jjasper said:
We had a place on campus that served tenders like that called Sawyer's it was awesome.

i had to come out of lurking just to say sawyers is awesome. i live a block away from the one on 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom