• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Games Nobody Played in 2012

D3RANG3D

iboihQPgrXXaEN.png

Maldita Castilla

Sora_N

Kid Icarus Uprising.

Didn't sell particularly well, and I don't hear about it AT ALL from game journalists.

After it came out for about 2-3 months no one fucking bought it anymore all year pretty much. (I worked at TRU up until last year)

Feels bad man. I finished it yesterday, it's definitely one of my GOTYs.

It's definitely no GOTY material, but hardly anyone talked about PulzAR, a tiny little AR game for the Vita that came out last summer, and I thought it was a real gem. Basically it's a puzzle game where you use AR cards to arrange lasers in order to destroy an incoming asteroid in each stage. It's not going to blow anyone's mind but for $1.99 it was worth trying at least and it's the only AR game that I've ever actually enjoyed playing. Nudging the AR cards around to get my laser placements just right was surprisingly satisfying and most of the puzzles had multiple solutions. Wish more people had given it a shot!

cFH5U.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite game this year that no one has played.

It's a DS SRPG. Of course no one's played it :)

Devil-Survivor-2-anime.jpg

EDIT: in case someone wants to be a smartass, that's the Japanese release date. It released 2/28/12 in NA.

EuroGaf wanted to love it this year, but Ghostlight delayed its release to 2k13...

Kacho

Gold Member
rhythm_heaven_fever.jpg

Fantastic Rhythm game with tons of content. Now that the Wii U is out, people who didn't play it earlier this year should definitely check it out now. It's incredibly cheap now, too.

Bladenic

From the games I've played, I'd say Final Fantasy Dimensions. Great throwback RPG with cool job system and good difficulty. Also very long, so you get more than enough content for the large price.

From the games I've played, I'd say Final Fantasy Dimensions. Great throwback RPG with cool job system and good difficulty. Also very long, so you get more than enough content for the large price.
Man, I'd *like* to play this but SQEX is terrible about Android releases. >_<

FStop7

Banned
I've watched live demos of Scribblenauts Unlimited and... I don't get it. I bought into the hype of the first game and was severely disappointed. What's so much better about Unlimited? Yes, you can create a lot more stuff - but it looks like it still suffers from the same problem of poor controls that ultimately result in your basically 'shoving' your way through every puzzle.

jorgeton

Gotta echo some of the games already mentioned:

Gravity Rush on Vita is awesome, once you get used to the strange controls. It's probably one of the best gaming surprises I've had this year.
Zero Escape (which I'm currently playing through) is as mind-bendy, if not more than 999, and a lot more user friendly.
Devil Survivor 2's plot is very derivative of Evangelion, but once the game lets you fully customize your party, it becomes incredibly addictive.

I still need to check out Binary Domain, you guys.

18-Volt

Kid Icarus Uprising.

Didn't sell particularly well, and I don't hear about it AT ALL from game journalists.

Journalists usually hate Nintendo because, you know, they're Japanese and kiddie.

Here are mine;

Heroes of Ruin: n-Space didn't disappoint me, I expected old fashioned repetitive dungeon crawler and old fashioned repetitve dugeon crawler they gave me. Drop in-drop out online was a great addition.

Pokémon Conquest: Everybody was too focused of BW2 and ignored this great spinoff. This is what Pokémon spinoff should be and TPC should make this a series and primary spinoff franchise. Little bit harder sequel would be much appreciated.

Lego Batman 2: Best Lego game period. Too bad there were not enough DC heroes.

P90

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite game this year that no one has played.

EDIT: in case someone wants to be a smartass, that's the Japanese release date. It released 2/28/12 in NA.

I second your vote on DS2.

Misguided

Banned
splice-cipher-prime.jpg

Splice is really a fantastic puzzle game that didn't seem to get the attention that it deserves. It gets pretty hard towards the end, and the ruleset for the 6th world (this is as far as I've gotten...) may have been too obtuse, but I think many of the puzzles were very well designed.

Aretak

Been mentioned a few times already, but Binary Domain. A better game than Mass Effect 3 in every respect.

Riptwo

Receiver

One of the best games I've ever played. Great atmosphere and hard as hell. Addicting, and it was made in only 7 days. Voice acting sucks, but it's minimal anyway.

I absolutely agree with this. The gun mechanic is brilliant, and the style is great too. I really hope that this one makes it through the Steam Greenlight process.

I'll also vote for Dragon's Dogma. I don't spend as much time gaming as I used to, but I've managed to put 50something hours into this game and I'm still nowhere close to finished.

I came in here to say Binary Domain and I wasn't disappointed. Best story and characters of the year. The game plays pretty good too.

Sora_N

Journalists usually hate Nintendo because, you know, they're Japanese and kiddie.

Here are mine;

Heroes of Ruin: n-Space didn't disappoint me, I expected old fashioned repetitive dungeon crawler and old fashioned repetitve dugeon crawler they gave me. Drop in-drop out online was a great addition.

Pokémon Conquest: Everybody was too focused of BW2 and ignored this great spinoff. This is what Pokémon spinoff should be and TPC should make this a series and primary spinoff franchise. Little bit harder sequel would be much appreciated.

Lego Batman 2: Best Lego game period. Too bad there were not enough DC heroes.

I gotta get back to PKMN C, I got distracted because of B/W1 lol.

DJMicLuv

Dust was fantastic. I loved every second of it and thought it was a real achievement of design and execution. It played and looked perfect and I really hope we get to see a sequel at some point.

I played and enjoyed Lollipop Chainsaw but could see that the appeal of the game could be limited due to the aesthetics and humour which played such an important part of the games presentation. It wasn't everyone's cup of tea but it played well and after unlocking more advanced moves the battles became quite creative and fun.

Tokyo Jungle is a fantastic game which hooked me a lot more than I thought it would. It's like an arcade RPG rougelikelike which reminds me of the sort of esoteric games we used to get imported from Japan on budget labels in the later years of the PS2 - it's cheap and cheerful and unique and engaging and it has a really interesting way of storytelling and progression. There's nothing else like it and much better than I'd imagined.

Mark of the Ninja - Another FANTASTIC download title. 2012's been amazing for smaller download only games like this. It's a very stylish game but the thing that makes it special for me is the fluidity of the controls and the design of the levels which allows for no kill stealth runs as well as more direct assaults. When you click with the controls you will feel like an absolute badass assassin. A brilliant mixture of arcade style point chasing and deep strategic gameplay. A game which achieves exactly what it sets out to achieve.

There are probably a lot more but those are the first ones that spring to mind.

I've watched live demos of Scribblenauts Unlimited and... I don't get it. I bought into the hype of the first game and was severely disappointed. What's so much better about Unlimited? Yes, you can create a lot more stuff - but it looks like it still suffers from the same problem of poor controls that ultimately result in your basically 'shoving' your way through every puzzle.

Here's the deal for me. Scribblenauts Unlimited makes me think and imagine and create. It can be played as a "shove your way through the puzzle" game, or you can take it and run with it. Honestly part of the joy I get out of playing the game is getting the puzzle solved as fluidly and as elegantly as possible. Sure I can jetpack + laser my way through a lot of stuff but that isn't the point.

I know people don't like it. I know it's not perfect. This is why it fits so perfectly within my own criteria of what makes certain games "special" to me. I appreciate so much of what the game does right that I can put the problems aside.

And honestly, it has no chance to ever break into real GOTY territory.

It's sort of like being a big fan of a minor league baseball team. It's not about the quality of play, but the fun you have.

Also, this thread has me wanting to play EX Troopers. Couldn't be a more perfect example, other than the fact that it is an import. Still, I want to play!

majik13

Would Dragon's Dogma count? I don't see it mentioned on too many GOTY lists.

same, DD is awesome, though a little tedious managing items at time. Also my underplayed GOTY is ZombiU, I have played a lot of survival horror since RE1, and i dont recall ever being so on the edge of my seat and filled with adrenaline. And literally having to cool down and take breathers after tough encounters.

TWILT

Banned

That's probably my pick too. I spent 100+ hours on this game to get all the endings >_>;.

Had a lot of fun with this one, but I felt it was a step back from the first in most regards. One of my favorite things about the first game were all the endings you could get, and they all held a certain appeal. In DS2, I was only really drawn to the Anguished One's ending - everyone else was simply too lame and/or douchy to go along with.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Growlanserwayfareroftimeboxart.jpg

It's like a Suikoden and the story is pretty good. It's a mix of turn based and tactics gameplay. I like the art for some reason, it feels like you're playing a 90s RPG.

Ridley327

sd3OC.png

Closure - Best puzzle game, unique innovative mechanic, and best soundtrack.

This would be my pick, too. A shame that it released so close to Journey, as all of the press went to that game (rightly so, mind you) while Closure was left by the wayside by many. It's a winner, for sure.

My runner-up would be Q.U.B.E.; if someone told me that someone would be making a vastly better Portal clone than one of the people who actually created Portal, I would have had them sent to an asylum. But here we are, and Q.U.B.E. is the good game and Quantum Conundrum is the suckfest.

Little Inferno - Just oozes with charm, some great dark humor and an engaging puzzle mechanic. Plus, you can burn things.

Syndicate - You can play Binary Domain or you can play an interesting, beautiful and engaging shooter like Syndicate, particularly in co-op.

Gravity Rush - Gorgeous art style, interesting mechanics, new IP.

Little Big Planet Vita - Pretty much perfected LBP. So damned good and under appreciated.

Lumines Electronic Symphony Vita - Ditto with LBP Vita.

And, oh hell, THE VITA - Ugh. Such a great system.

Been mentioned a few times already, but Binary Domain. A better game than Mass Effect 3 in every respect.

FFS give me a break.

Top Bottom