• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best looking PS2 game?

Agent X

Gold Member
Black, Burnout Revenge, and God of War 2 were mighty impressive. All of these games could stand toe-to-toe with early PS3 games.

I got Black when it first came out in early 2006, played about 2/3 of the way through, then put it aside for a while. When I finally went back to finish the game in 2011 on my PS3, it didn't feel like an aging five-year-old PS2 game.

GrayChild

Another vote for Silent Hill 3. The character models and animations look stunning even to this day.

iblz5odXhtflVF.gif

iUrV5LBdRXrPO.gif

AmyS

I'm probably the only one voting for this game but Ace Combat 5 impressed me the most, with its lighting and 60 FPS.

jZlR3be.jpg

N0FHxo0.jpg

This.

Don't get me wrong, VP2 is a stunner and is capable of some jaw-dropping moments, even now - but in this day and age, I'd argue that Silent Hill 3 and the oldman.gif still gets people mixed up in their generations.

Agree. I own both games. even though VP2 is 480p (one of the few games to pull this off) Silent Hill 3 is completely untouchable.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Gotta give it to Silent Hill 3. However the hell they pushed some of those character models, facial expressions, number of effects, lighting and shadow, is a mystery to me.

tumblr_mue3bsxur71rfgc8yo1_500.gif

AmazingPleasantHen.gif

(first part of this gif, second half is to show how bad the HD Edition was to the PS2 version, PS2 one is the one with all the fog and darkness, HD version is the flat looking one):
Fog.gif

iWQmJvLSfBQeU.gif

iVdzbz7AmxK5Z.gif

tumblr_m6n2wwfSvT1qa1gxyo3_250.gif

tumblr_l4nqzdADG81qbzf0vo1_400.gif

tumblr_mv0a5qEQGQ1s4wum7o4_500.gif

illghgsL7ruvA.gif

firewalls3qdana.gif

ending_blondes2xmbx1.gif

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
God of War 2 wins this. I remember getting component cables for ps2 just for that game, and it was worth it see the 480p glory.

Gotta give it to Silent Hill 3. However the hell they pushed some of those character models, facial expressions, number of effects, and the like, is a mystery to me.

AmazingPleasantHen.gif

(first part of this gif, second half is to show how bad the HD Edition was to the PS2 version, PS2 one is the one with all the fog and darkness, HD version is the flat looking one):
Fog.gif

heatherportrait.gif

iWQmJvLSfBQeU.gif

iVdzbz7AmxK5Z.gif

I knew someone would deliver. SH3 looks like a PS3 game.

GrayChild

Gotta give it to Silent Hill 3. However the hell they pushed some of those character models, facial expressions, number of effects, lighting and shadow, is a mystery to me.

AmazingPleasantHen.gif

Fog.gif

iWQmJvLSfBQeU.gif

iVdzbz7AmxK5Z.gif

tumblr_m6n2wwfSvT1qa1gxyo3_250.gif

illghgsL7ruvA.gif

I'm so glad that according to the recent data, all character modellers and animators from Silent Hill 2-4 (Shingo Yuri, Minako Asano, Sachiko Sugawara etc.) are still in Kojima Productions and will probably be involved with Silent Hills. If these guys managed to do this on PS2, I don't want to imagine what they can achieve on PS4 or high end PCs.

FFXI was pretty damn impressive. My brother played on PC and I played on PS2. Huge zones, large draw distance, awesome character models, cities full of other players. It was pretty great

pixelbox

My vote goes to Ghost Hunter:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvBXvMeS4k

Volumetric Lights (God Rays)
Dynamic lighting plus shadow generation
Soft body physics for water and cloth
Deformation of meshes
Individual, interactive grass
Multiple texture work for surfaces: faces that wrinkles with movement, shiny surfaces, wet pants
Large environments
No loadtimes.

ghosthunter-20040615015629866-860258.jpg

ghost-hunter_082703_002-587312.jpg

Seyavesh

i'd like to submit every single later era SRW game as per usual
i would post a gif but it'd be like 30 mb or something insane

they're not 3d but the animation and spritework is fucking bonkers and it carried over so well into the ps3 generation

random examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g84XCSpc4IY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGPocMrRIf0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPPkrSFQVvs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyBB8wbW7eQ

unforunately there's not a lot of good footage of the ps2 era ones. most of the HD quality stuff is choppy for some bizarre reason despite the game running smooth as butter

v1ncelis

God of War II - completely maxed PS2
Resident Evil 4 - great port which holds very well compared to amazing looking GC version.
Black - I was blown away by this game graphics first time I played this game esp by gun models and their animations and explosions.
WRC 4 - great looking car models at the time. Not sure how it holds now since I haven't played any Evo past WRC games but I remembered it as a great looking rally game.
Ghost Hunter - very clean and crisp looking game.
Also Gran Turismo 4, Final Fantasy XII, Silent Hill 3 and MGS 3

Gran Turismo 4, photo mode shots. It doesn't look this good in motion, but this kind of IQ on PS2!!

gt4_screen_2.jpg

IMG0000.png

(the resolution makes me think bullshot, but....)
gt4-gc.jpg

That Transformers game looks absolutely insane though.

You know, the PS2 is my least favorite console of that generation, but I do own almost every one of these games being mentioned here, and the likes of these games make me glad I own one.

That being said, I do have to go with Valkyrie Profile 2. The game just oozes beauty out of every screen. It isn't my favorite (that'd be a toss up between God of War 2 and Final Fantasy 12), but I've always thought that when it came to drop dead "there's no way the PS2 is pumping this out" visuals, it was always my go-to game.

It's really kind of nucking futs. It's so powerful to me that I quickly become numb to it's beauty, and only when I pop in another game does it really become apparent.

lol wut. What kind of Resident Evil 4 is that? What's with the lighting? I really don't think that's the PS2 version either.

rjc571

Banned
The Ape Escape games looked pretty good and ran at a consistent frame rate.

86160_full.jpg

Ape Escape 3's framerate was anything but consistent. The game would often drop from 60 fps to 30 for no apparent reason. Which was weird, because it looks more or less identical to AE2, which ran at a perfect 60 fps at all times. Neither game was a technical powerhouse, either.

lol wut. What kind of Resident Evil 4 is that? What's with the lighting? I really don't think that's the PS2 version either.

Probably Wii version? Image hosted on Nintendojo...The part that hangs on Leon's hair looks more solid on the PS2, but that's all I remember..

Miguel81

Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII.

Those are the ones that I came to post. Really beautiful games that came at the tail end of the PS2 generation. DQ VIII really blew me away with it's visuals at the time, and it looks drop dead gorgeous even now on an emulator like PCSX2.

sublimit

Banned
Jesus Christ those gifs killed my laptop.-_-

Anyway from a technical point of view it's Gran Turismo 4.
From an art style point of view it's Shadow of the Colossus.

Didn't GT4 support 1080i too? I don't understand how that is even possible on a PS2. That thing was one hell of a technical achievement.

Top Bottom