• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC Game MODS

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Game mods enhance and make the experience, in some cases, much better than the original.

What PC game mods made the games miles ahead of the original or even total conversions that actually made a terrible game amazing?

Here are a few nice ones for current games:

-Dark Souls: DS Fix
demons-souls- wallpapers_19999_1920x1200.jpg

*This one unlocked the power of the pc with this beautiful game!

-Just Cause 2 Multiplayer
2012-08-11_00017.jpg

Made an island adventure into an Island battleground, amazing!

Supreme commander : Sorian AI MOD
PCG-vs-the-Robots-3.jpg

Brought strategy and tough AI opponents to possibly the best RTS ever made

What are your favorite mods of all time?

The TES III: Morrowind Complete Overhaul. There are multiple editions of it around. Pretty much every TES game since then has had a plethora of fantastic mods.

JA+ for Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy was absolutely amazing. It essentially overhauled the light saber combat system and enhanced it in every way.

Anything Darthmod has done/compiled for the Total War series. Empire in particular. Takes awesome games and makes them near-perfect.

antitrop

Counter-Strike is the greatest mod of all time. It's better than Half-Life, I don't give a shit. Counter-Strike is the Half-Life multiplayer.

rObit

Banned
Tekkit for Minecraft gives you a whole new tool set to work with. You can make jet packs and nuclear bombs and all sorts of cool shit. It's good fun.

Aesthet1c

Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942 was flat out amazing. It did things that even Battlefield 3 doesn't do. Things like 20 people in a single AC-130. Definitely the most fun I have ever had with a mod in any game ever.

battlefield-2-20050502112247719.jpg

Also do Dota and Counter-Strike count? Because those technically started as mods.

gotta say the most important mod to me was the network addon mod for SimCity 4. straight out of the box, that game was absolutely fucking broken to the point of being unplayable with large cities. modded? it's the greatest time-sink ever created.

Fotos

I haven't really played that many mods but I think DayZ needs to be mentioned. Arma 2 was nothing before that.

The Nameless Mod is a fantastic Deus Ex mod. Story and voice acting might put people off, but the unique world and top-notch Deus Ex gameplay make it amazing in my eyes. It has two different paths with some different missions, encouraging a second playthrough. Also like Deus Ex, the attention to detail and the player's actions I feel surpasses the original game.

DocSeuss

Eh...

/me deletes the total conversion thread he was working on (was holding off until I actually completed all the mods I'd heard were good and wanted to recommend)

People should check out:

Complex (Homeworld 2)
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Oblivion)
They Hunger (Half-Life)
Black Mesa (Source SDK 2007)
Cry of Fear (Half-Life)
Aliens TC (Doom)
Rubicon X (Marathon)

I'd really like to play that zombie co-op Half-Life mod at some point.

Are you kidding me? That looks fucking awesome.

I've heard that Brutal Doom is amazing.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Eh...

/me deletes the total conversion thread he was working on (was holding off until I actually completed all the mods I'd heard were good and wanted to recommend)

People should check out:

Complex (Homeworld 2)
Nehrim: At Fate's Edge (Oblivion)
They Hunger (Half-Life)
Black Mesa (Source SDK 2007)
Cry of Fear (Half-Life)
Aliens TC (Doom)
Rubicon X (Marathon)

I'd really like to play that zombie co-op Half-Life mod at some point.

I've heard that Brutal Doom is amazing.

Thanks man for the solid recommendations!

Speaking of Doom mods, I can't pimp Reelism enough. It's kinda like Smash TV, adapted to the Doom formula, and with the insanity ratcheted up to 11.

You have to survive 5/10/infinite one-minute rounds (depending on difficulty chosen). You get three slots, which roll at the beginning of each; one determines the monsters you face (maybe imps, maybe zombies, maybe floating eyeballs, maybe cowboys, maybe bronies), one determines the weapons you get (maybe shotguns, maybe fire-spewing guns, maybe Duke 3D guns, maybe nothing), and one determines a general "modifier" that applies to that round (maybe poison, maybe low-gravity, maybe super speed, maybe no friction, etc). Very rarely do two games play out the same way, which makes it a rather entertaining play all around.

Highly recommended.

Sothpaw

I mean the absolute best has to be DOTA right?

But yea, mods really make PC gaming shit all over other platforms.

Top Bottom