• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC Graphics of 2016

Trago

There's no doubt, Battlefield 1. I upgraded my PC just specifically for that game, and it didn't disappoint visually.

I'm playing on a 1080p screen with a GTX 1070, so ultra and med-high AA.

Technical excellence:
Tomb Raider
Battlefield 4
Doom

Pure style and design:
Overwatch

Special mention:
Total War Warhammer

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
All in all I think FFXV's artstyle makes for strong graphics. I specially love the lighting, something I haven't seen done in any videogame before so well. That said if we're talking of raw graphical impact I'd say DOOM and Rise of TR were quite impressing.

edit. ehm sorry I must've missed the "PC" in the topic lol, dismiss the ffxv part... (well until the PC ver. comes out XD)

heringer

Surprised at all of the Rise of Tomb Raider mentions. That game does not look very good.

I would say Battlefield 1 without much competition, really. Kind of a disappointing year in this regard.

Battlefield 1, and it isn't even close.

Honorable mention to DOOM for its art style, which was awesome in spots. Still, as far as being outright stunning, Battlefield 1 is unsurpassed.

Just as a tiny example, here are a few undoctored shots I took from one of the very first campaign missions:

4SKt3tm.png

vl4PguE.png

HB3t1Dd.png

I'm convinced those could pass as real photos to most people.

The only trouble with Overwatch is that it makes my card run seriously hot for some reason, I know that has nothing to do with visuals, but for a game that pretty much any pc can play and isn't technically impressive I find it odd.

TitusTroy

looks like it's a 3 man race between- Battlefield 1, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Doom...Witcher 3- Blood and Wine deserves more votes

muetimueti

Neo Member
I'd give it to Blood and Wine or Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

I suspect Battlefield 1 might look better but I haven't played it yet, since those games are kind of hit&miss.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'd take Doom over BF1.

I mean, BF1 is "best technical graphics" for sure, but it's slightly more nuanced than that.
I can't really think of anything obvious that Doom simply does better. Character models, lighting, textures, environments, reflections, AA, level destruction, particle effects, animations... BF1 is strong in all of those categories. I don't even think I would put Doom ahead of Gears 4.

The only major negative I have against BF1 is the horrifying sharpening that TAA applies. The coverage is great but the sharpening kind of ruins it. I've still not found an AA solution that fully satisfies me.

I still think I might like DOOM more. It's more consistent I think.

elelunicy

The number of Battlefield 1 mentions makes me question how many responders here actually played a large number of good looking PC games this year. Here are some BF1 screenshots I took at 3200p maxed out. If you think this is anywhere close to being the best PC graphics then I don't even know what to say.

BF1 isn't as optimized as DOOM, that's for damn sure. DOOM not only looks better than most games released in 2016, it sure as hell performs a lot better. Even if we look at consoles, it looks much better than Uncharted and Forza from a visuals standpoint and runs at 60FPS. It's just mind blowing what id was able to accomplish.

MaLDo

Battlefield 1, and it isn't even close.

Honorable mention to DOOM for its art style, which was awesome in spots. Still, as far as being outright stunning, Battlefield 1 is unsurpassed.

Just as a tiny example, here are a few undoctored shots I took from one of the very first campaign missions:

4SKt3tm.png

vl4PguE.png

HB3t1Dd.png

I'm convinced those could pass as real photos to most people.

Real photos? No way, at least with that bad IQ

I prefer The Division because is more cohesive

thedivision2016-11-26xguj1.png

thedivision2016-11-26fluug.png

thedivision2016-11-26h2uaz.png

thedivision2016-11-26i9ujv.png

After seeing some of the new pics and videos from Dead Rising 4, it may not win any battles in a pure technical level, but some of the art/design is crazy good.

Timu

The number of Battlefield 1 mentions makes me question how many responders here actually played a large number of good looking PC games this year. Here are some BF1 screenshots I took at 3200p maxed out. If you think this is anywhere close to being the best PC graphics then I don't even know what to say.
Game looks better in it's campaign than multiplayer which is why it's often mentioned. This is the same deal with all the other BF games from BF3 and onward.

daxy

The Division. That new neutral lighting setting introduced a couple of patches ago solidifies it for me. Unable at the moment, but I'll try to post some screenshots later.

TheRed

Lots of great looking games. I would say DOOM, The Division, ROTR, BF1,Forza Horizon 3, and The Witness all impressed me the most.

I think The Division needs more love for its visuals in here, I'm still very impressed when I load it up now.

elelunicy

Game looks better in it's campaign than multiplayer which is why it's often mentioned. This is the same deal with all the other BF games from BF3 and onward.

I played through the entire BF1 campiagn and only a few scenes were graphically impresseive (the opening scenes of the pilot chapter and the desert chapter looked really good). Most of the time it hardly looks better than multiplayer. Overall not even top 5 best looking PC game of the year if you ask me.

Rival

Gold Member
My votes would be tomb raider, doom, and division. I haven't tried battlefield but I'm sure it's gorgeous as well.

Battlefield 1 or RoTTR. In that order.

Both of these games are unmatched both in quality of art representing non-fictional textures and surfaces, but in the breadth of their representations.

Timu

I played through the entire BF1 campiagn and only a few scenes were graphically impresseive (the opening scenes of the pilot chapter and the desert chapter looked really good). Most of the time it hardly looks better than multiplayer. Overall not even top 5 best looking PC game of the year if you ask me.
WTF???=O Not many looks better than it.

hoserx

Okay, well if you're asking someone to ask you.. for gods sake just say.....what are they?

Blinck

Surprised about so many Battlefield 1 posts. I honestly think it's that much of a looker..it's just so stale.. Battlefront looks much, much better IMO.

I also think stuff like The Division and Hitman look much better than BF1. I'm really shocked at so many BF mentions :p

DooM for me.

Surprised about so many Battlefield 1 posts. I honestly think it's that much of a looker..it's just so stale.. Battlefront looks much, much better IMO.

I agree. It's glitchy as fuck, too. The one thing that looks amazing is when the zeppelin blows up and crashes onto the battlefield.

Tainted

2016 hasn't been a big year for me in gaming...but from the ones I have played:

Wow factor:

The Division
Doom
Mafia 3 (post patch)

Artistic value:

Firewatch
The Witness
Inside

Games which I think deserve mention for their gfx which I haven't played as of yet:

Planet Coaster
Deus Ex
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Forza Horizon 3
Dishonored 2
Watch Dogs 2
Battlefield 1

Timu

I also think stuff like The Division and Hitman look much better than BF1. I'm really shocked at so many BF mentions :p
I don't think Hitman looks much better.

Tainted

No love for Forza Horizon 3?

I was just as surprised as you to see the lack of FH3 mentions; which is why I felt it needed to be added to my list. My guess is, most people played FH3 on the XB1 (at least here on GAF)

The game is absolutely gorgeous

I was just as surprised as you to see the lack of FH3 mentions; which is why I felt it needed to be added to my list. My guess is, most people played FH3 on the XB1 (at least here on GAF)

The game is absolutely gorgeous

Indeed brothers.. maxed out, it truly is one of the best looking games period.

elelunicy

Let's see: shots taken using a free camera tool, using camera position/angle, FOV, aspect ratio that are totally not representative of what you see during the actual gameplay. Great looking mainly due to the photo composition, as opposed to the acutal graphics. The same reason why you can find many good looking The Witcher 3 shots from the PC screenshot thread, even though the actual game doesn't look that good at all.

NeoRaider

Let's see: shots taken using a free camera tool, using camera position/angle, FOV, aspect ratio that are totally not representative of what you see during the actual gameplay. Great looking mainly due to the photo composition, as opposed to the acutal graphics. The same reason why you can find many good looking The Witcher 3 shots from the PC screenshot thread, even though the actual game doesn't look that good at all.

Ikr??
I hate when ppl talk about the graphics of the game (any game) and post screenshots that were taken using camera tools, cheats, some kind of SweetFX and other effects added... :/

Vertti

Want to give an honorable mention to Firewatch and Unravel. The beginning of the year was great with The Witness, RotTR, Unravel and Firewatch.

The Witness is probably my favourite. It really made me realize how far we've come. I'd love to see that style in grand adventure game a la Zelda or Metroid.

NeoRaider

Want to give an honorable mention to Firewatch and Unravel. The beginning of the year was great with The Witness, RotTR, Unravel and Firewatch.

The Witness is probably my favourite. It really made me realize how far we've come. I'd love to see that style in grand adventure game a la Zelda or Metroid.

I forgot about Unravel. :(
Thanks for mentioning it, i was really impresed by Unravel!

dr_rus

Technically:

1. The Division
2. Battlefield 1
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider
4. Quantum Break
5. Doom
6. Hitman

Artistically:

1. Firewatch
2. Inside
3. The Witness

Biggest underperformer of the year graphically - Mirror's Edge Catalyst

Bonus: shittiest graphics in an AAA PC title of 2016 - Mafia III

I've still yet to play some games though.

Screenshots (courtesy of the PC screenshots 2016 thread):

The Division:

Battlefield 1:

Rise of the Tomb Raider:

Quantum Break:

Doom:

Hitman:

Firewatch:

Inside:

The Witness:

Top Bottom