• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best PC Graphics of 2016

This is just completely false, in no way does it do "a lot more under the hood" than UC4. Redux is behind even 2033 if you wanna talk pure tech overall.

Most of the "cloth physics" people refer to in Metro were canned animations like you had in MGS ground zeroes or old MGS games.

"canned" lol. This is from Last Light though but there was nothing canned about the physx.

edit: gif I posted was pre/but my point still stands regarding cloth: https://youtu.be/VafzR7JqO2I?t=3m37s

"canned" lol. This is from Last Light though but there was nothing canned about the physx.

pFP0tLcesIJBS.gif

How do you know that it's not a pre-processed animation played in real time?

that draw distance doesnt bring witcher even close to bf1 visually for me. a bunch of ugly grass is still ugly grass. battlefront of course looks better. doesnt have to account for as many players, destruction, or all the other overhead a battlefield title comes with. both games are still built around the exact same hardware limitations(consoles)
I never said The Witcher 3 was more graphically impressive than Battlefield 1. I was just bitching about poor foliage draw distance. I love that you can crank that up in TW3 and really wish we could in other games.

I'm playing all my games in these resolutions. Native 4K is here, although you need a very expensive card to do it well if you don't want the hassle of SLI.
I think it's a silly argument anyway. Id rather compare games with one another without aliasing to distract from the things that matter.

Lister

Banned
Can we have ONE mother 'effing PC thread on this mother 'effing forum board WITHOUT a bunch of whinny console warriors thread shitting?

ONE?

For fuck's sake. I don't see a single PC gamer doing this shit on the "Best console graphics of 2016" thread. Though I was tempted, considering a lot of the screnshots for multi-platform games are high resolution shots from the PC version :p

nOoblet16

pFP0tLcesIJBS.gif
It's ironic that you'd post a canned animation as an example to prove your point that it isn't canned. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's real time. It doesn't say anything about the cloth physics in the game, have a look at how realistic cloth movements look in Ground Zeroes or even MGS3 due to this canned animation but it doesn't mean game has cloth physics.

That fact that it's the only place you see anything remotely close to that kind of cloth animation should have told you that it's canned.

nOoblet16

Pretty sure those were not real time cloth physics. Still looks really nice. Also UC4 has nothing like those soft body physics in real time etiher.
Yeo, nothing like those but it does have soft body physics evident in the foliage and at a level fairly above average since you don't really have many games out there that do real time soft body physics for foliage especially when it's dense.

It's ironic that you'd post a canned animation as an example to prove your point that it isn't canned. Just because it looks nice doesn't mean it's real time. It doesn't say anything about the cloth physics in the game, have a look at how realistic cloth movements look in Ground Zeroes or even MGS3 due to this canned animation but it doesn't mean game has cloth physics.

That fact that it's the only place you see anything remotely close to that kind of cloth animation should have told you that it's canned.

What..? Do you even know what the term canned means..? Did you see the video I posted? Are you seriously comparing MGS3 or GZ physcs with those in Metro? Sure that specific one isnt interactable due to its complexity but the other smaller cloths ingame are. Look at the video above.

The people saying uncharted 4 looks better than PC games....I don't understand. There's a huge difference. PC games from 3 years ago look noticeably better than ps4 games today.

jett

D-Member
INSIDE, The Witness, Thumper.

I don't care how many polygons or textures games are pushing. These three games have perfectly executed impeccable art design, each looks unique, and I'll wager their good looks are timeless.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Can we have ONE mother 'effing PC thread on this mother 'effing forum board WITHOUT a bunch of whinny console warriors thread shitting?

ONE?

For fuck's sake. I don't see a single PC gamer doing this shit on the "Best console graphics of 2016" thread. Though I was tempted, considering a lot of the screnshots for multi-platform games are high resolution shots from the PC version :p
Naaah man. This is GAF!
PC users are all elitist and need to know our gospel. Hallelujah 30fps etc etc...

I also looked at the thread and considered posting PC exclusive games in there, but it is funny when console post bullshots from another platform to prove console best graphic :3

elelunicy

I just got BF1 on PC few days ago and my game looks nothing like that.

I run GTX1080, everything Ultra and 125% resolution scale at 3440x1440. The lighting is random, sometimes its pitch black and sometimes its very bright - like a nonfunctioning HDR.

I think the best looking PC game would probably be Witcher 3 for me.

My game looks exactly like that video and I don't find it to be impressive at all. The opening scenes of that video look just like this St. Quentin's Scar shot I took. Both lighting and shading are still bad. Many things just look overly dark for no real reason and the overall look is just so wrong.

VG9uT9K.jpg

It's funny that video titles itself "Battlefield 1 Real Life Mode." I'm glad my real life looks so much better than that.

KageMaru

Definitely think Doom, Quantum Break, The Division, and BF1 are some of the best looking PC games this year. I would include Rise of the Tomb Raider but the shimmering is too distracting.

Would have handed the award to Quantum Break if it weren't for the weird ghosting. It still looks amaze balls in screen shots.

The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine looks fantastic.

I would say Rise of the Tomb Raider is the best looking over all in my book. Maxxed settings and 1440p/60 looks great.

FoxSpirit

My game looks exactly like that video and I don't find it to be impressive at all. The opening scenes of that video look just like this St. Quentin's Scar shot I took. Both lighting and shading are still bad. Many things just look overly dark for no real reason and the overall look is just so wrong.

VG9uT9K.jpg

It's funny that video titles itself "Battlefield 1 Real Life Mode." I'm glad my real life looks so much better than that.
Hahaha, well said. BF1 only looks great in picked screenshots. Or in Dunno, maybe people should post screens from singleplayer since that supposedly looks better.

Also, request: PLEASE STOP POSTING JPEGS THAT ARE COMPRESSED TO HELL!!!! Thank you.

EvB

VG9uT9K.jpg

There is also some weird unnatural field of view goin on there

nOoblet16

What..? Do you even know what the term canned means..? Did you see the video I posted? Are you seriously comparing MGS3 or GZ physcs with those in Metro? Sure that specific one isnt interactable due to its complexity but the other smaller cloths ingame are. Look at the video above.
Those are not "physics" that's a prebaked animation, all those folds, those movements were calculated offline and then played on cue...which is why it's canned..do you realise that? The game is not doing one calculation there and as such the "complexity" is nonexistent.

You cannot discount your error just by saying sure it isn't interactive and that's fine, there is a difference between non interactive (from player side) cloth that still moves using cloth physics by reacting to environments and such (Crysis 3 as an example) and cloth that simply plays a pre baked animation. In case of the former the game is still performing calculations for physical interaction, in terms of later there are no calculations being performed and as such there is no "cloth physics"...the cloth will unfold and fold the same exact way every single time at the same exact locations at the same exact time frame once the animation begins...if that's not what canned means I donno what to tell you. The only thing that the game is actually doing is rendering that cloth with good polygons and shaders..which is what separates it from the implementation seen in old games like MGS3.

What you see in Ground Zeroes cutscenes, is the exact same thing what you see in that gif you posted. As such it makes no sense that you'd find one technically impressive while the other not so far as to even tell me if I am "seriously comparing it to GZ" without exactly providing any evidence of why it's not impressive in GZ but is in Metro LL.

Lister

Banned
Tomb raider has definitely been impressing me.

Also Total War: Warhammer is chock of full of great fantasy art and the sheer number of moving, pathfinding, animating units on screen is out of this world.

The map feels like looking down on some intricate, hand crafted model out of a lord of the rings movie.

The combat when seen low on the ground looks like an old school fantays book cover come to life.

Total-War-Warhammer.jpg

And when shit is exploding everywhere and smoke is billowing it all comes together.

3064719-twwh_battle_celestial_wizard_charge_1462975796.png

The detail on the characters is great for what they are, thousands of play soldiers, and obviously not a match for a character that is meant to be seen in an AAA cutscene, but the sheer number of them + the effects + the art direction is a treat for the eyes, Especially at 3440x1440!

That's really douchy. He registered on here more than 3 years ago. Maybe he's still junior because he doesn't comment on every little fart. He must have missed that this thread is only about Pc... happens once in a while.

I'm sorry if expecting someone to read the thread title is a little too much for you. But I'm not coddling anyone who can't be bothered to practice basic forum etiquette or is just trolling for kicks.

Ps4 players always tell me, nothing looks better than uncharted or killzone, or infamous.
And the next one will be horizon.

Well, I mean, the generation had to restart several times because folk couldn't decide if it started at Killzone: Shadow Fall, Infamous: Second Son, Bloodborne, or Uncharted 4. This pattern will continue. Also, no game can ever touch a Sony produced game, for reasons.

Remember this thread the next time PC-GAF is accused of threadshitting.

It really is amazing how on-topic this topic was, no console donging or anything, and then ...

mjp2417

Banned
It's probably either Battlefield or The Division, but I don't think there is a game that looks overwhelmingly better than everything else out there this year in the way that Crysis 3, AC: Unity, or Battlefront did in past years.

Those are not "physics" that's a prebaked animation, all those folds, those movements were calculated offline and then played on cue...which is why it's canned..do you realise that? The game is not doing one calculation there and as such the "complexity" is nonexistent.

You cannot discount your error just by saying sure it isn't interactive and that's fine, there is a difference between non interactive (from player side) cloth that still moves using cloth physics by reacting to environments and such (Crysis 3 as an example) and cloth that simply plays a pre baked animation. In case of the former the game is still performing calculations for physical interaction, in terms of later there are no calculations being performed and as such there is no "cloth physics"...the cloth will unfold and fold the same exact way every single time at the same exact locations at the same exact time frame once the animation begins...if that's not what canned means I donno what to tell you. The only thing that the game is actually doing is rendering that cloth with good polygons and shaders..which is what separates it from the implementation seen in old games like MGS3.

What you see in Ground Zeroes cutscenes, is the exact same thing what you see in that gif you posted. As such it makes no sense that you'd find one technically impressive while the other not so far as to even tell me if I am "seriously comparing it to GZ" without exactly providing any evidence of why it's not impressive in GZ but is in Metro LL.

Sure the gif I posted was pre-baked, I already agreed on that and corrected it, I see no point in you rambling about my mistake over and over unless you cant disprove my correction, however the other part of the cloth physx that do in fact react to the player, shooting, whatever, is in fact as impressive as the pre baked one, even more, hence, why saying GZ, MGS3 does it better or similar, is the most ridiculous thing ever. Besides, we're only talking about the cloth here, theres debris, theres the fog, theres the lighting, theres the supersampling, theres the object based motion blur, and other tech. And if thats not enough we're talking about a <2013 game compared to a game released in 2016.

Unity2012

Total Warhammer is a looker. The new expansion makes it even better. I'll take a game like Skyrim and all its mods before a game that strives to emulate today's world realism.

I'm all about worlds and settings unlike the one I live in, lol. I love sci-fy and fantasy settings, when this type of games visuals can draw me into their worlds it makes for an amazing experience.

dr_rus

Using screenshots taken at unplayable resolutions to strengthen arguments...

Well, in my post there was my own screenshot for each (almost) game there. All my screenshots are always directly from my playthroughs (there are some Ansel exceptions but they are rare).

DeFrank

Far Cry 3 though? How is that game from 2012 one of the best looking games 2016?
And while BF1 has some problems, TF2 is just straight up never impressive. TF2 and a game from 2012, thats why I have a hard time taking your pot serious.

That was my mistake I meant FC Primal.

TheRed

Hitman does look very nice, I have to play more of that. Also now I want Total: Warhammer, but it's still too expensive for me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hitman does look very nice, I have to play more of that. Also now I want Total: Warhammer, but it's still too expensive for me.

Yeah Total Warhammer is steep. But so are the rest of that series.

Its a great game to pick up on sale with its DLC tho.

Battlefield 1 multiplayer, downsampled from 3840x2160 with 200% resolution scale.

For the most part, the game looks fantastic. It can be a bit inconsistent, some indoor areas and some open fields often looks a bit flat, but even at its worst it looks great. And the animations and weather effects adds so much to the game.

Top Bottom