• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best piece of gaming business ever?

What do you guys think the best business move by the current big 3 has been?

I'd have to say Nintendo is far out in the lead - for not only milking classic games some 20 years after release (and deservedly so) but for selling Rare to MS and using that $300M odd to fund the money printing machine that is the NDS.

That Rare went on to make flop after flop just sweetens the deal more :D

Razoric

Banned
Yeah I'd have to say the Nintendo / Rare one is right up there. They dumped that shit just at the right time.

Sony securing GTA would be right up there as well.

monkeymagic said:

I'd have to say Nintendo is far out in the lead - for not only milking classic games some 20 years after release (and deservedly so) but for selling Rare to MS and using that $300M odd to fund the money printing machine that is the NDS.

id have to disagree and say free wifi for nintendo. that is something that is going to explode with metroid prime hunters

meltpotato said:
id have to disagree and say free wifi for nintendo. that is something that is going to explode with metroid prime hunters

We we don't know that yet but yes I think the free WiFi and the ease of connectivity are excellent features.

I hope PS3 WiFi online will be as easy to use.

JRPereira

I think the revolution is going to be a big move - not a lot of hardcore gamers looking for the best looking 1080p high resolution content on hd or blue ray dvd's with sound blasting out of 7.1 sound systems are going to like it, but I think it's going to have a lot of nostalgic gaming combined with fun gimmicks for gaming newbies like the revmote, the relatively low cost of the console, the size of the console (i.e. portability; share it with friends), and I'm sure a variety of other things. The fact that the console is apparently pretty slow compared to the others, will probably mean that people going with nintendo are going to have to skim on graphics and get creative for once.

Nintendo for investing in Rare intially. They were a small UK developer ... Donkey Kong Country sold like 20 million copies as a franchise alone, let alone GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing.

Sony for cozying up to Squaresoft after the Nintendo split.

Nintendo with Brain Training. 5-6 people and six months in development for such a huge return (and no end in sight) ... unbelievable.

Nintendo for taking a chance on a company called GameFreak and some weird title they were developing called Pokemon.

Sega for allowing blood on the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat.

Microsoft for buying out Bungie prior to Halo 1's release.

Mr. Yamauchi for letting a young designer named Shigeru Miyamoto make an off-the-wall game called Donkey Kong.

Yamauchi again for having a lock-out chip in the Famicom/NES, thus effectively creating the modern third-party licensing fee model.

Capcom for go aheading with a Street Fighter sequel when the first wasn't very successful.

argon

Nintendo for grabbing the exclusive videogame rights to Tetris, and including it as a pack-in game for the GameBoy.

Professor K

m0dus jr
Wow! One of those threads created for the sole purpose of cheerleading your console/company of choice and cheap-shotting the evil rivals!

Yay!

Hmmm...uh, I'm gonna go with EA buying the exclusive license to the NFL and NFLPA. Great move done out of outright fear of Visual Concepts.

But I hate them for it.

Jeff-DSA

Pedigree Chum said:
Sony securing GTA. Nothing even comes close.

I disagree. When Sony secured Final Fantasy VII, they really gave gamers, developers, and publishers a reason to jump from the Nintendo ship and support the PlayStation. From that point on, Sony has never looked back.

demi

With all these timed releases becoming more common, lots of gamers are just going to wait it out and expect the "superior" version

I think Resident Evil 4 proved that

teehee

Also, Nintendo + Square Enix has been providing excellent games from now and in the future, that's a good one too

Liquid

Banned
with what demi said, just to let you guys know the GC version is on sale for $14.99 at frys this weekend. :)

Razoric

Banned
Liquid said:
so i'm a douche because i'm right? thanks. :lol

Sony secured a timed exclusive deal with Rockstar to release GTA3-SA on PS2 thus sending it's sales through the roof. That was a good business move.

Liquid

Banned
Razoric said:
Sony secured a timed exclusive deal with Rockstar to release GTA3-SA on PS2 thus sending it's sales through the roof. That was a good business move.

be clear next time. a timed deal is totally different from securing a title. anyway my pick would also be sony going off and creating the PS after nintendo told them to shove off. Forever changing the landscape of gaming.

No idiot, it's superior. Pay attention.
:lol :lol :lol

Minoru Arakawa and Howard Lincoln jumping on the mistakes of others and getting the Tetris handheld and console licenses, effectively fucking over Tengen, who was in the midst of suing Nintendo in an anti-trust suit (which they lost -- they argued Nintendo was running a monopoly by not letting anyone manufacture their own games for the NES without Nintendo's approval). Tetris went on to sell millions on the Game Boy and shitloads on the NES.

Mr. Yamauchi for having faith in Shigeru Miyamoto's Donkey Kong, even after it received a poor reception from Nintendo of America employees.

Howard Lincoln for convincing Minoru Arakawa and Mr. Yamauchi not to settle with Universal over the rights to Donkey Kong. Not only did they not settle, but they proved Universal didn't have the rights (in an earlier court case, Universal proved, for their own monetary gain, that no one had the rights to King Kong), and got a cheque for over 10 million dollars. Oh, and when Howard Lincoln and Mr. Arakawa went to meet with the President of Universal, they sat and talked with him jovially until the President of Universal said he'd like to help them market Donkey Kong after they settled -- apparently, his aid had made it sound like NIntendo was intent on settling -- at which point, Lincoln told him they weren't settling, Universal didn't have the rights. As the President of Unviseral had a trantrum, teling them he'd launch his litigous legal department after them, Lincoln and Arakawa began exiting the room. Right before Lincoln left, he turned around and said, "oh... and have a nice day."

Mr. Yamauchi for noticing an opportunity in the market (electronic games) and going for it, without hesitation. For hiring, promoting, and relying heavily on Gunpei Yokoi, who created many products crucial to Nintendo's success.

Mr. Yamauchi for being intent on launching the NES. For recognizing his son's talent, appointing him as president of NoA, and telling him "if we can succeed in New York, we can succeed in the rest of America."

Yeah, Hiroshi's my hero.

qirex

Sony for rejecting the Nintendo/Sega business model of hating on third-party developers and charging them $20+ in licensing and manufacturing fees.

qirex said:
Sony for rejecting the Nintendo/Sega business model of hating on third-party developers and charging them $20+ in licensing and manufacturing fees.
hahah, that's a good one to balance out my effusive praise for Nintendo. They did a lot of great shit early on, but their blind confidence got the best of them in the end.

Don Valentine for being the venture capitalist who got Atari off the ground.

Atari for settling with Magnovox, over the rights to Pong, for a piddly amount.

Nolan Buschnell for getting fired from Atari and receiving millions of dollars in his going away package shortly before it all went down in flames.

edit: oops -- this is only the current big 3

herm.... Nintendo for finally updating the ailing Game Boy hardware and breathing life into the handheld market.

maxmars

Roders5 said:
Miyamoto for dreaming of an italian plumber

Perhaps he met my uncles. I'm italian, and indeed they are called Mario & Luigi (and used to work together building pipeline stuff in the past).

Mario was named after Mario Segali, NoA's original landlord. He (and this is before he was nmaed Mario) was originally supposed to be a carpenter, but everyone told Miyamoto that his sprite looked like a plumber, so that's what he became.

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo for investing in Rare intially. They were a small UK developer ... Donkey Kong Country sold like 20 million copies as a franchise alone, let alone GoldenEye and Diddy Kong Racing.

Sony for cozying up to Squaresoft after the Nintendo split.

Nintendo with Brain Training. 5-6 people and six months in development for such a huge return (and no end in sight) ... unbelievable.

Nintendo for taking a chance on a company called GameFreak and some weird title they were developing called Pokemon.

Sega for allowing blood on the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat.

Microsoft for buying out Bungie prior to Halo 1's release.

Mr. Yamauchi for letting a young designer named Shigeru Miyamoto make an off-the-wall game called Donkey Kong.

Yamauchi again for having a lock-out chip in the Famicom/NES, thus effectively creating the modern third-party licensing fee model.

Capcom for go aheading with a Street Fighter sequel when the first wasn't very successful.

+ Sony for making and maintaining the PlayStation, and we have a definitive list.

Pedigree Chum said:
Sony securing GTA. Nothing even comes close.

Something that only affects 2/3 of the world market, on a console that was already a monstrous success, shouldn't even be in the top 10.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
OpinionatedCyborg said:
Mario was named after Mario Segali, NoA's original landlord. He (and this is before he was nmaed Mario) was originally supposed to be a carpenter, but everyone told Miyamoto that his sprite looked like a plumber, so that's what he became.
Yeah I'm aware of all that, was just making the point about mario being the best piece of gaming business ever. If I had of said carpenter there would have been a pile of people telling me he's a plumber!

maxmars said:
Perhaps he met my uncles. I'm italian, and indeed they are called Mario & Luigi (and used to work together building pipeline stuff in the past).
If thats true it's pretty cool!

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
ThunderEmperor said:
Nintendo for trustign Gamefreak and getting pokemon. nothing comes close not even madden or gta.
especially since Sega passed on Pokemon.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Nintendo has made some of the best and worst decisions in the game industry. Sony has made a ton of good ones as well, but never really made any risky ones and MS has yet to make any really good decision IMO.

Edit: Well imo. (Still hasn't got an X-Box).

demi

jj984jj said:
Nintendo has made some of the best and worst decisions in the game industry. Sony has made a ton of good ones as well, but never really made any risky ones and MS has yet to make any really good decision.

?

XBLA is pretty good...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
In order of importance:

1. Shiggy for creating Mario.
2. Nintendo for getting both Tetris and Pokemon.
3. Sony for getting a timed exclusive for GTA.
4. Nintendo having faith in Rare and getting multimillion sellers like GE007 and DKC.
5. Nintendo for selling off Rare once they've outlived their usefulness. :lol
:(
5. MS for nabbing Bungie.

Seth C

jj984jj said:
Nintendo has made some of the best and worst decisions in the game industry. Sony has made a ton of good ones as well, but never really made any risky ones and MS has yet to make any really good decision.

Buying Bungie was such a silly waste of time. Heck, they should have let them port Halo to PS2.

Shompola

Banned
monkeymagic said:

Ms buying Bungie.

Seth C said:
Buying Bungie was such a silly waste of time. Heck, they should have let them port Halo to PS2.

Hehe. it is probably the best business decision last gen when I think about it.

Furoba

Microsoft, for losing over 3 billion dollars in no more than a few years time, and still losing money by the bucketloads.

Sorry, it had to be said. :lol

Sapiens

Sony doing Sony things, for sure.

Biggest fumble is Nintendo. It was a consistant downhill slide worldwide after the NES ( i dont care how much the gameboy makes or how profitable they are - they lost a big chunk of the pie to sony).

Top Bottom