• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best piece of gaming business ever?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I'd have to say Nintendo is far out in the lead - for not only milking classic games some 20 years after release (and deservedly so) but for selling Rare to MS and using that $300M odd to fund the money printing machine that is the NDS.<<<

Nintendo didn't sell Rare to Microsoft for $375 million. (the actual figure) The Stamper brothers did. This was after Nintendo sold their half of Rare back to the Stamper brothers for an unknown (and agreed to way back when Nintendo bought into Rare) sum that was likely far less than $187,500,000.
Stampers FTW.

Sega getting out the console business when they did was probably a good move for them. They could have stuck around and ended up deader than they are right now.

Prine

Banned
MS buying Bungie was the best move, Bungie now hold one of the most important gaming franchises ever in their hands.

FOr me personally, MS buying Rare. Perfect Dark Zero online is a gift from the gaming gods.

TAJ said:
>>>I'd have to say Nintendo is far out in the lead - for not only milking classic games some 20 years after release (and deservedly so) but for selling Rare to MS and using that $300M odd to fund the money printing machine that is the NDS.<<<

Nintendo didn't sell Rare to Microsoft for $375 million. (the actual figure) The Stamper brothers did. This was after Nintendo sold their half of Rare back to the Stamper brothers for an unknown (and agreed to way back when Nintendo bought into Rare) sum that was likely far less than $187,500,000.
Stampers FTW.

The thing is, have you seen Rare's campus? The facility is huge. I'm guessing the bills on that place were monsterous.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Arguably the best gaming business decision ever is Sony's move to make their own console.

1994: Making sound chips for the market leader.

2006: New market leader with 200+ million consoles sold.

Liquid

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Arguably the best gaming business decision ever is Sony's move to make their own console.

1994: Making sound chips for the market leader.

2006: New market leader with 200+ million consoles sold.

in alittle over 12 years. fn insane

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
soundwave05 said:
The thing is, have you seen Rare's campus? The facility is huge. I'm guessing the bills on that place were monsterous.

Yeah, that place is huge. Also, that money did go around to paying for over 200 employees.

Top Bottom