• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best portable controller for emulation on Android?

MagnesG

Banned
Dunno man... I don't usually play games on my phone but since i have an XBOX One controller i though, hey, that thing has bluetooth so i might as well try play some Sonic with it. And the input lag was MASSIVE. Like, at least 8-9 frames of lag. To the point where the game is just barely playable (unplayable for my standards). Of course, touch controls are not even that. So what's the 3rd option?

I wonder, people who game on smarphones really put up with this shit?
Wired controller works decent at least.

amc

People talking about lag, the Kishi (and probably others of similar design) connects via USB C, connection is instant. No pairing. The split pad USB connection design is by far the best way to connect to mobile.

Seen a few recommend the SF30 Pro. I have one and have used it with an official 8Bitdo clip. Unless you are playing unattached, say with the phone sat on a desk, then regardless of lag I wouldn't advise for it. It's is massively imbalanced for any decent sized phone and becomes uncomfortable for a lengthy play session, not even lengthy in my case but ymmv.

Also any decent phone will smash the China handhelds at emulation. I'm playing Dreamcast and even a lot of Dolphin games at full speed on my S20 Ultra, they are playable on a ton of modern phones. Heck I'm even emulating shit like the Jag decently plus Ridge Racer Arcade etc via Mame .
I spent literally minutes setting up each emulator, once they're done they're done and the hardest thing you'll have to do is copy roms to a folder.

Add the Android native games then Xcloud and you have a brilliant powerhouse of a gaming device that deserves something like a Kishi.

MagnesG

Banned
People talking about lag, the Kishi (and probably others of similar design) connects via USB C, connection is instant. No pairing. The split pad USB connection design is by far the best way to connect to mobile.

Seen a few recommend the SF30 Pro. I have one and have used it with an official 8Bitdo clip. Unless you are playing unattached, say with the phone sat on a desk, then regardless of lag I wouldn't advise for it. It's is massively imbalanced for any decent sized phone and becomes uncomfortable for a lengthy play session, not even lengthy in my case but ymmv.

Also any decent phone will smash the China handhelds at emulation. I'm playing Dreamcast and even a lot of Dolphin games at full speed on my S20 Ultra, they are playable on a ton of modern phones. Heck I'm even emulating shit like the Jag decently plus Ridge Racer Arcade etc via Mame .
I spent literally minutes setting up each emulator, once they're done they're done and the hardest thing you'll have to do is copy roms to a folder.

Add the Android native games then Xcloud and you have a brilliant powerhouse of a gaming device that deserves something like a Kishi.
My friend was really disappointed because he can't really work it out trying rhythm PSP games using Kishi.

Maybe the lag was because of the emulator itself but he's struggling to time the rhythms properly in Patapon 2/3. The inputs works great except for the not good directional buttons.

He also said that it's a bit on the heavier side, and kinda not ergonomic enough if takes more than a few seconds to start a gaming sessions unlike dedicated consoles. You have to take the casing off, put the controller etc.

Other than that, Kishi is still the best choice I think.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
i played Megaman X and Castelvania Bloodlines with a N30 Pro. I didnt notice any input lag. It was via bluetooth to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S1 10.5 inch tablet. Looks glorious on the AMOLED.

Wound up buying a Vita, objectively the worst option for what I want to do (which is emulate SNES and DS JRPGs), just because it's so goddamn beautiful

Kupfer

Can you do this with a Vita tv? [...] Both are on the latest firmware.
Yes you can.
I'm not well versed in this stuff.
It's one of the easier "hacks", without the need of hardware modifications. But nonetheless you won't get around reading, understanding and following instrucions.
Is there a real reason to put custom firmware on a PS3 or pstv?
If you don't know that for sure, probably not. Totally depends on what you want to to with the console.
It wouldn't be going online in either case
AFAIK there is not a single case, in which Sony banned a modified Vita / PSTV, unless you used trophy hacks or cheats in online-games. But for me, I don't use my main account either, just in case.

All you have to know, you'll find here

Last edited:

amc

EDIT* Give me a minute, trying to sort out uploading an image.
soc8PAP.jpg

Fucking noob. Wrote a post specifically about an image I posted and the image wont insert. FML.
Q6aQKRK.jpg

Q6aQKRK.jpg

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Vita is a good choice. I have a white Japanese import with an OLED screen. It’s a beautiful, premium bit of hardware that’s nice and compact. Mine is unacked.

I also own a hacked New 3DS, which is an incredible piece of kit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I was able to get a Kishi (xbox version) for $60 at BB from a sale and coupon. For $60 its great. Been playing Doom and WADs recently and its great. I play SNES roms as well and havent had any issues.

$100 is steep I think for it but it really is solid and due to its design I dont gotta worry about a case with a kickstand or a clip for the phone etc so that can factor into the price.

Dr.Morris79

Sorry for the bump of an old fred folks but here seems as good as anywhere to ask as it's an emulation thread, in a sense..

I'm plonking stuff on my GPD XD (Scummvum..), and want to know if anyone knows how I go about putting my copy of Bladerunner from GOG onto it? Do I just install it to a random desktop folder then copy the folder across to the GPD?

Top Bottom