• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best system launch?

Man

The 3DS is the first of the next generation of dedicated gaming systems to release and we will probably see four or more systems release in the next two to three years.

What past system launches do you regard the highest?
Some might prefer a singular strong title like Mario 64/Halo/SSX and others might prefer a wider lineup of decent titles. For others the system capabilities and OS functionality might be considered a significant factor.

Bankoiia said:

My personal favorites are probably:

The PSP US launch had the following:
Ape Escape: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment America
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower, Capcom
Dynasty Warriors, KOEI
FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
Gretzky NHL, Sony Computer Entertainment America
Lumines, Ubisoft
Metal Gear Acid, Konami
MLB, Sony Computer Entertainment America
MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
Need for Speed Rivals, Electronic Arts
NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory, Konami
Ridge Racer, Namco
Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
Spider-Man 2, Activision
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR, Electronic Arts
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
Twisted Metal: Head On, Sony Computer Entertainment America
Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
Wipeout Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America
That was a fantastic and varied launch lineup. The system itself was pretty amazing as well with the unrivaled screen and high-tech nature of the hardware with multimedia functions and more. Not before 2010 did smartphones and other handhelds start to show tech going beyond this level, the technical jump this device did in 2004 could potentially be the last of that significance. The PSP gave a super first impression though it became apparent in the long run that it was flawed in several ways (3D controls, loading, manually connect for online etc). Launch month was simply great however.
psp_1.jpg

Xbox and Halo launch.
Remember re-watching the Gamespot video review over and over in the time between the US (Nov) and EU launch (March). That game looked fantastic and I was super hyped.
The first sensation was of intense disappointment however. Watching the intro and playing the first corridor level and I almost felt cheated by the bad visuals. Remember: this was after the incredible 2001 fall period of the PS2 with titles such as Silent Hill 2, Jak and Daxter, Metal Gear Solid 2...etc. Those games flowed and animated stunningly and at high framerates. Halo's cutscenes, human characters and animation was years behind those standards. Also the first narrow and mechanical level really brought up plenty of aliasing issues and whatnot. The last time I was shocked in graphical disappointment had been FF8 after watching two inch videos at IGN/DailyRadar for a couple of years.
So... All that totally changed however when landing planetside. Incredible vistas, large fights with no performance drops, excellent physics, superb A.I, freedom and revolutionary gamepad fps controls. Halo was a diamond of game design and I rank it alongside World of WarCraft, Silent Hill 1, Demon's Souls, FF7 and Mario 64 as something truly standout moving the industry forward. I found Crysis a deadly boring game in 2007 (and today) but the Halo formula still works. Combined with it's lan and splitscreen multiplayer I consider it the best singular launch game (> Mario 64/World/Bros) for my taste despite a somewhat flawed SP.
2004ghof1.gif

Majine

Banned
I think Gamecube had a pretty solid launch lineup. IIRC.

And for the record, the 3DS lineup seems horrible.

Bastion

I agree that the PSP had the best overall launch in terms of variety of games ever. It was also the system I was most hyped for.

WillyFive

The Gamecube, the PSP, and technically the N64 all had fantastic launches.

But the one that takes the crown is the Western launch of the Dreamcast.

N64 PAL launch - Mario 64 and Goldeneye (Ok Goldeneye launched like a few months after but I still remember buying my N64 with Goldeneye packed in!)

Emitan

Majine said:
I think Gamecube had a pretty solid launch lineup. IIRC.

And for the record, the 3DS lineup seems horrible.
But the 3DS has Nintendogs, and Street Fighter, and....um...well...crap.

Majine

Banned
Billychu said:
But the 3DS has Nintendogs, and Street Fighter, and....um...well...crap.
I'm sure Dogs+Cats and Street Fighter are good games, but one is a slight sequal and the other is a port.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The Dreamcast launch was best for me, mainly because it gave me a Dreamcast, the finest system life has to offer.

szaromir

Banned
Xbox launch was pretty awesome. Other than Halo, it also got Project Gotham Racing, Dead or Alive 3, Munch Oddyssey and maybe something else. Great lineup overall, though obviously only Halo remains the real classic.

Balb

If you balance quality and quantity, I'd say the Xbox (Halo, Dead or Alive 3, Oddworld: Munch's Odyssey and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X were great) and the Game Boy Advance (Castlevania, Super Dodgeball, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Super Mario Advance) had the best launch line-ups. I don't know how I feel about counting the Dreamcast since it came out about a year later in the US.

If you just want to count quality though, you can't deny the N64, SNES and Game Boy

GhaleonQ

If we're going U.S. releases, it's obviously the Dreamcast. It had a full year of Japanese releases with it, right?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GhaleonQ said:
If we're going U.S. releases, it's obviously the Dreamcast. It had a full year of Japanese releases with it, right?
I only remember Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure. :\

I forgot Power Stone. That was launch? That game was ridic.

I would normally say GameCube with Monkey Ball, Rogue Leader, Luigi's Mansion and Wave Race but yeah, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 were like taking extended vacations. It just doesn't get any better. Halo possibly came close.

isny

napkin dispenser
Hellshadow said:
My favorite launch was probably SNES. Both Super Mario World and F-Zero lasted me a year. :)

This. It also had Pilot Wings.

Second best would be GBA. Look at the launch titles according to the link in the OP.

* Army Men Advance
* Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
* ChuChu Rocket!
* Earthworm Jim
* F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
* Fire Pro Wrestling
* GT Advance Championship Racing
* Iridion 3D
* Konami Krazy Racers
* Namco Museum
* Pinobee: Wings of Adventure
* Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
* Rayman Advance
* Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
* Super Dodge Ball Advance
* Super Mario Advance
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

6-7 of those were great, and look at how much choice people had!

LQX

N64/Super Nintendo - Both launched with Mario games which where not only huge in the amount of game you got content wise but also replay value.

Dreamcast - So many games I wanted but settled on Sonic, and Soul Calibur.

heavyness

N64 had Mario 64 and that's all it needed. Kept me happy until more games came out. I'm also bias to the Xbox360 since it had Call of Duty 2 (loved playing that online) and Geometry Wars.

Why For?

Banned
Dreamcast for me. Especially in AU. By the time we got the DC almost everything had come out.

Xbox launch was almost the best on the back of Halo alone, but you couldn't go past the Dreamcast.

Megadrive wasn't bad here either.

Gamecube PAL launch. That 6 month wait made for an absolutely amazing launch day.

I got 6 games on launch day. No other console has managed that (Dreamcast was close though). Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race Blue Storm, Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Adventure 2 (crap game but it was huge for me at the time since I missed out on the DC version) and Burnout.

SSBM followed only 3 weeks afterwards and Pikmin the month after.

Shame that the rate of releases slowed to a crawl come 2003.

Oh and the 3DS has the best launch lineup of any handheld console in history. Everyone here does not seem to remember how terrible the first months of the GBA and the DS were. And on top of having a better launch lineup, the 3DS is set to have a constant stream of solid titles throughout the launch window period and beyond, no 6 month long droughts here!

Speevy

Banned
The Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion and Waverace BS at launch. Smash and Pikmin were released before the end of the year.

kamspy

Xbox. Halo. Game changer.

Ninty hasn't launched a console with a proper first party offering since the SNES, and I was like 12 when that came out so I can't really judge.

madara

Snes for sure. Plus the months after that keep dropping major bombs all the way through christmas, it was glorious.

BiggNife

The PSP had a pretty great launch, but Dreamcast beats it. It had something for just about everyone. Not only did you have Soul Calibur and Sonic Adventure, but Marvel vs Capcom, Hydro Thunder, House of the Dead 2, NFL 2K, Power Stone, etc.

rvy said:
The fuck?

You have to remember that SA was pretty mindblowing for the time. Unfortunately it's aged as well as most Intellivision games (ie: horribly).

^^^ Sonic Adventure was always shit. The second one got a superior port to the Gamecube less than a year after release and was panned.

Should the Dreamcast really count? It was out for a year in Japan and essentially it had a year of releases translated to the North American audience as well as the year 2 scheduled games.

Also holy shit does this thread remind me of how shitty the 3DS launch is.

Top Bottom