• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best system launch?

Mael

Yeah console launch always blow....I'll take the Wii launch personnally, at least the possibilities seemed interesting (that and never had a problem with the controls in Red Steel).

Steaks

The best PS2 game was Orphen. So obviously, the PS2.

All kidding, if you go by number of above average games, DC, if you go by overwhelming quality of one game, N64.

Seriously, does anyone have a copy of Orphen? That game was so bad, I want to replay it now.

PARANO1A

Dreamcast is the only machine I bought at launch. AU launch had Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Powerstone, Crazy Taxi and a few 2D fighters as games I loved. Lots others available, too.

hertog

For me personally it was the PSone.
I got it as an early birthday present, and to this day it's still my favourite present ever.
10 year old me got this system and it had these games.

Ridge Racer: awesome racer

Battle Arena Toshinden: WOW! 3d fighter!

Jumping Flash! omg, is this real life?!

Wipeout: wow, goddamn fast 3d!

Kileak: The Blood It's like doom with robots! (game sucked hard :( )

wondermega

Gonna second the Sega Genesis. NES was pretty big, of course, but there was really no "scene" at all then, no magazines to hype up ANYthing, no anticipation. Video games were cool, sure, but no one really knew what much of the legacy really was (compared to what it would become following all of that revolution)

When Genesis and TurboGrafx were coming down the line, there was at least some reasonable hubbub if you paid any attention to gaming. EGM and the like had gamers drooling over the "next generation" in a way that many of us were never really conscious of before (I think it was all pretty much 8-bit before that). Genesis kind of trounced TurboGrafx, though even then it was close (but Sega did have a more recognized name and a strong arcade presence to build off of). With games like Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Thunder Force II, Tommy Lasorda, Last Battle, and of course Altered Beast - none of these games would have been technically feasible on a lesser system at the time. Bringing home that console a couple of months into it's life on these shores was a pretty significant part of my gaming childhood.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
X360 had a pretty sweet lineup:

Project Gotham Racing 3
Call of Duty 2
Condemned
Kameo
Need for Speed Most Wanted
(I picked up PDZ as well but meh)

All awesome games!

WillyFive

Nuclear Muffin said:
I`m specifically talking about the launch window though, not the launch day itself. (I personally think that the launch day lineup is average, but the 2-3 months afterwards look great!)

I can`t think of any other console that had a better launch window period. Most other consoles have gone through a long dry period where there was practically nothing until around 6-9 months after launch when the 2nd wave of titles hit.

While the 3DS doesn`t have an amazing launch day lineup (Though still better than most previous handhelds), it won`t be suffering that dreaded post launch drought.

Even though the big name titles are very impressive, I think that when they criticize it, they mean that they are not 'new' titles, since they are either ports or remakes, with the big games not coming out until later. It's nothing against the quality of it.

Dreamcast for me. Hydro Thunder, NFL 2K, Sonic Adventure, Power Stone, Tokyo Extreme Racer, Soul Calibur, it was amazing stuff.

disappeared said:
The Dreamcast launch was huge.

Not only in number of games available at launch, but the variety. Nearly every genre was represented. Platform, fighting, racing, sports, survival horror, light gun...

Still the best launch ever IMO.

Ponn

Banned
Dreamcast, followed very closely by the PSP. People forget how really good the PSP launch was compared to other console launches.

megashock5 said:
Not only in number of games available at launch, but the variety. Nearly every genre was represented. Platform, fighting, racing, sports, survival horror, light gun...

Still the best launch ever IMO.

This is definitely true, however when I got my Dreamcast on UK launch day, I could only afford the console, an extra controller, a VM and Sonic Adventure. I had to wait until Christmas to get my second game which felt like an eternity, but looking back on it, was only two months. Time passes much slower when you're a kid, I guess.

Anyway, even with only Sonic Adventure and the demo disc to play, I loved the Dreamcast's launch line-up. It truly was amazing the variety of games and peripherals available on day one. Soul Calibur wasn't a UK launch game by the way, I'm still jealous of the US Dreamcast launch for that.

Personally the best launch where I had money to buy what I wanted, would probably be the Xbox 1. I got the console with PGR(sequel to my favourite Dreamcast game) and Halo, as well as a second controller. Then a couple of months later Microsoft sent me DOA3, Munch's Odyssey and a third controller for free as compensation for dropping the price of the machine from £300 to £200 so quickly.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Platy said:
Famicom Disk System
Baseball
Golf
Mahjong
Soccer
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
The Legend of Zelda

2 games so awesome that they would become one of the biggest franchises in the industry and the other games are the first on genres that still have thousands of games that they are simply called "soccer"

------
for USA

NES
Balloon Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Duck Hunt
Excitebike

Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

for praticaly the same reasons

Yup, US NES launch lineup for the win... Wrecking Crew, Clu Clu Land and Balloon Fight, not to mention the most influential game in the history of the industry.

Runners up for me would be the DC and PSP.

DS lite was a great one for me. (I know it doesn't count)
Preordered mine from Japan and got to ride to campus every morning playing my portable game machine from the future.

Top Bottom