• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best system launch?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Objectively I'd say PS3's PAL launch (but only because I got like 10 titles to review with most of them being 70+ titles). But personally I go with Nintendo 64, because I didn't get one and always had to go to my aunt's house to play Mario 64. I think I skipped school 2 or 3 times and got in some trouble for lying to my aunt when showing up at 9 am but it was sooooooooo worth it. The trouble I had to go through just to play some goddamn Mario made it all the sweeter. She had a big ass TV too with a rocking chair in front of it

Gotta go with the Xbox.

Playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x, Project Gotham, and Munch's Oddyssey at launch was awesome. That's still not counting Halo and Dead or Alive 3, which I picked up a few weeks later.

Xav

I don't know about actual launch day but I remember the Dreamcast having a lot of good stuff early in it's lifespan.

Platy

Famicom Disk System
Baseball
Golf
Mahjong
Soccer
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
The Legend of Zelda

2 games so awesome that they would become one of the biggest franchises in the industry and the other games are the first on genres that still have thousands of games that they are simply called "soccer"

------
for USA

NES
Balloon Fight
Baseball
Clu Clu Land
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Duck Hunt
Excitebike

Golf
Gyromite
Hogan's Alley
Ice Climber
Kung Fu
Mach Rider
Pinball
Stack-Up
Super Mario Bros.
Tennis
Wild Gunman
Wrecking Crew

for praticaly the same reasons

Man said:
Surprised not to see the PSOne listed yet.
Twisted Metal, WipEout, Destruction Derby, Warhawk, Ridge Racer, Toshinden etc were all launch titles in the west.
Superb launch. You also got a cool (for the time) demo disc included.

Best Dinosaur game ever.

ksan

Gameboy Advance EU-release is my favorite.

Castlevania
009gr.png

Kurukuru Kururin
Kurukurukururin_screenshot.PNG

and F-Zero
VOiQ1.jpg

Played the shit out of all of them and loved them to death, still games I could pick up today and find extremely enjoyable.

Rafaelcsa

SNES (Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, Pilotwings, F-Zero) and Wii (Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, Excite Truck, Trauma Center). The Wii also had the Virtual Console. If we count that, it wins by default.

ksan

Gravijah said:
damn that game looks tight
Did you ever play Castlevania: CotM the game on the original GBA?

Ye, that's pretty much what it looked like.
Wonderful combination of a non-lit screen and a dark palette, gameplay was totally worth it though!

snackman

Banned
1.Dreamcast all great games at the time
2. PSP all great games nothing bad I remember at all.
3.Gamecube SMB,Star Wars,Luigi

Overrated N64

Only 2 games for like 4 months I think

Aesius said:
Yep. To me, the N64 was simply a Super Mario 64 machine until OoT came out.
Understandable. But for me, Pilotwings and WaveRace had me captivated for months. Especially WR64. My God I loved that game.

Host Samurai said:
SNES had SMW, but that is only one game. It wouldn't fly these days.

Best is the Wii

Trauma Center
Legend of Zelda: TP

For all the hate the PS3 got, I think it had a solid launch line up as well.

I think the PS3 had a horrible launch lineup. IIRC it was just Resistance and a bunch of 360 leftovers.

Dreamcast USA had the most amazing launch ever, and fuck the Sonic Adventure haters, amazing then still good game today. However, the real Dreamcast launch had like 3 games: Pen Pen Tricelon, Godzilla Generations, and Virtua Fighter 3 in late 1998 in Japan.

My pick for truly best launch ever. Hmm. I guess like any Nintendo launch that has a good mario game.

The PC!

But seriously, probably N64 for me. I wasn't even a fan of Mario 64 but I was the right age and got super pumped for things like Top Gear Rally 1, San Fran Rush, Goldeneye, etc, etc.

Not all launch titles but when I got it, they had been released.

Flakster99

My first thought was the SNES, quality over quantity.

And I remembered the Dreamcast and it's US launch lineup. I won't discount it's lineup even though Sega had a year to fine tune and get all their ducks in a row. I worked for a local game store here in St. Catharines that had imported the Dreamcast @ launch from Japan and subsequently imported all software as it was released in Japan, so I was more than comfortable and ready for it's US release. What a glorious impact and first year for Sega. I miss those times. /salute

Dizzy

Banned
N64. Mario 64 just blew me away. Everything about the system just felt light years ahead of the other consoles at the time.

Neiteio

I'd say the alternate reality where the Wii launched in the GameCube's place back in 2001, with Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4.

wormstrangler said:
The PC!

What did the PC launch with? Oregons Trail? If so that is indeed the greatest launch of all time.

DidntKnowJack said:
The PS3 launch in North America was indeed fairly ho hum, but it had Resistance and Ridge Racer 7, and that was enough for me.

Ridge Racer 7 is just a slightly updated version of 6 on 360. Like I said, 360 leftovers. Not trying to troll you, just sayin. It was a decent launch I'd have been happy with just those two games, I however sold my day 1 PS3 for 2500$ days before the market bottomed out and they were going for 700 or so. Man was the buyer pissed, but a sale is a sale, and I'm a greedy asshole.

PSP in europe, hands down. wipeout pure, lumines, metal gear acid, everybody's golf, virtua tennis, and ridge racer day one! pretty much made up for the system itself taking nearly a year to come over.

Sallokin

Definitely going with NA Dreamcast launch because I was able to walk into a store and purchase it and some incredible games without any of the nonsense we have to deal with today when a major new console launches.

Takao

Banned
The PSP had a godly launch lineup (I don't count year and a half later Dreamcast), so godly that it obviously scared consumers from purchasing future games...

Obviously all the peeps saying the Dreamcast weren't Japanese launch owners. We didn't even have Sonic on launch day :( Anyone want to play some Godzilla though?

Striker

szaromir said:
Xbox launch was pretty awesome. Other than Halo, it also got Project Gotham Racing, Dead or Alive 3, Munch Oddyssey and maybe something else. Great lineup overall, though obviously only Halo remains the real classic.
I got my Xbox when it first released, picked up Halo, PGR, and I think Munch Oddysee came with it in the package.

I'm buying like 4-5 games at launch on 3DS. Best system launch to me I guess. Then again, I've never gotten anything at launch before when it first came out. I got DSi & PS3 Slim when they came out, but that was it.

cantona222

For me its the SNES hands down. No need to think further when a system is launched with the best game of all time (SMW).

When I bought a my PS1 PAL I picked it up with X-COM, not knowing what it was. What a great summer! I didn't need or want another game for months.

Amir0x said:
hahaha

*wipes tear from eye*

Oh what? What planet do we live on where a console that has Steel Diver, OoT3D, Re Mercenaries, Kid Icarus Uprising and DOADimensions (if that's your sort of thing, it's not mine though) coming out in the first 2-3 months after it's launch somehow bad?

The fuck? Name one console that had a better launch window period? (not launch day)

Best launch lineup belongs to Dreamcast. My brother and I played SO much fucking Hydro Thunder and Soul Calibur when it came out. Sonic Adventure hasn't aged too well, but it was good for its time.

The absolute best launch game for any system has to be Super Mario 64. Until Star Fox came out Mario never left my N64. After I beat it I became depressed because I never thought Nintendo could best it, then they drop Super Mario Galaxy on me eleven years later and gladly prove me wrong.

BAW

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Xbox 360
-----------
Geometry Wars
Condemned
COD2
Kameo
PGR3

Gaming bliss...

Damn right. People are really underestimating the Xbox 360 launch (possibly due to rose-tinted nostalgia glasses). All 5 above games are amazing to play even to this day.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Oh what? What planet do we live on where a console that has Steel Diver, OoT3D, Re Mercenaries, Kid Icarus Uprising and DOADimensions (if that's your sort of thing, it's not mine though) coming out in the first 2-3 months after it's launch somehow bad?

The fuck? Name one console that had a better launch window period? (not launch day)

I think that lineup sounds pretty average. I think the fact that you're including a remake to pad it is pretty telling as well.

I prefer the launches of multiple other consoles.

AdventureRacing said:
I think that lineup sounds pretty average. I think the fact that you're including a remake to pad it is pretty telling as well.

I prefer the launches of multiple other consoles.

I`m specifically talking about the launch window though, not the launch day itself. (I personally think that the launch day lineup is average, but the 2-3 months afterwards look great!)

I can`t think of any other console that had a better launch window period. Most other consoles have gone through a long dry period where there was practically nothing until around 6-9 months after launch when the 2nd wave of titles hit.

While the 3DS doesn`t have an amazing launch day lineup (Though still better than most previous handhelds), it won`t be suffering that dreaded post launch drought.

Top Bottom