• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best title screens in gaming

RedEther

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!

KtmpdFo.gif

This is pretty snappy and plus I love me Sonic so there goes my vote

Trance

I agree with everyone posting Mega Man II, Pokemon, and Xenoblade/X, but the first thing that popped into mind was Spec Ops: The Line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B-WvKTeTU4

It even changes over the course of the game, and the instrumental rendition of Stars Spangled Banner is haunting. I believe different verses of the song plays through out depending on the chapter. Admittedly, the image of a tattered upside down American flag seems a bit tryhard edgy on the surface, but I think it meaningfully fits the game.

The menu tells its own story throughout the game. How can I not love that?

SpaceHorror

Dearly Beloved really made it work though
tumblr_m0ujyszwoX1qepij6o1_500.gif

Man, this brings back memories.

Are the remix versions of the first two games on PS3 worth playing to scratch that nostalgic itch? Or should I try to find a way to play the PS2 versions?

I've been considering getting a slim lately, so if the remix versions aren't worth it I may finally have to give in and buy one.

I got a recent one that hasn't been mentioned. Until Dawn.

hqdefault.jpg

The title screen will have the face portrait of the last character you played in the game. What's kind of gimmicky, but really neat about it is that you can manipulate the actors face with the motion controls in the Dual Shock 4. Simply tilting the controller up or down will make the actor look in said location. As the game goes on they look increasingly more stressed out and it's really just a fun little feature to mess around with.

Samikaze

No mention of the Cube from Chronicles of Riddick?
Chronicles_of_Riddick_(PC)_02.gif

Also loves the changing screens from Spec Ops: The Line, that adjust to what part of the story you're on

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

spec-ops-the-line-gameplay-0002.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Palpable

HalfLife2Title.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Cinemagraphs with sound, items in the background would move slightly while ambient noises like the lap of water or far away speaker announcement were played. Very evocative and immersive.

Cinemagraph's are animated images. Those title screens in HL2 were mini-levels that were loaded/made for the title screens. It's all in-game, not an image.

epmode

Cinemagraph's are animated images. Those title screens in HL2 were mini-levels that were loaded/made for the title screens. It's all in-game, not an image.

The in-engine thing was annoying back at launch since it really added to the startup times. I didn't mind since it was so goddamned classy (and it was possible to remove with a mod).

Now I'm especially glad they didn't go with video since modern load times are super-fast and the fully 3D backgrounds scale with screen resolution.

Mexen

My favourite has to be from Snake Eater. I like how interactive the damn menu is. Nice touch.

Likewise, if you quit from your ACC in The Phantom Pain, I like how the game does not load when you restart the game which makes sense for obvious reasons - the main menu is in the chopper, so why would it load if pressed Continue?

The Persona team makes the best menus. See Catherine.

2371854-catherine_title.jpg

Edit: Helps to see it in motion and hear the great music that slowly kicks in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23V6YMmHUkk

Great choice. I think Catherine has the best modern title screen, no contest. (Zelda I and II will always be my favorites) Not only is it stylish and intriguing, but it also does a great job of hinting at the narrative and setting the desperate, dramatic tone of the game.

Top Bottom