• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best version of Resident Evil 2?

Z..

I want to revisit this classic, which is one of my very first games!

The available options for me are:

Vita (PSX version)
Dreamcast (via VGA)
Dolphin (GC Version)

I own the DC version (which is how I originally played it) and the PSN (Vita) version, but I don't mind purchasing the GC version if it's worth it.

Recall

Dreamcast version.

Though to be fair I don't feel any of those version have any strong negatives compared to the others. They all play almost indentically If my memory serves me right. I think the only real difference was the odd load time here and there.

64 (he said full well knowing he's in a minority.)

Far better controls and better load times

Edit: Oh, out of those options? I would think either DC or GCN

Recall

64 (he said full well knowing he's in a minority.)

Far better controls and better load times

Edit: Oh, out of those options? I would think either DC or GCN

I've never played the N64 version but could totally see it being a great version also. Did it have any different content at all?

Is there a bad version of the game at all? As if there is I just can't think if it right now as I most likely hadn't played it.

The GameCube version is your best bet. Slightly sharper than the DC game. Both it and the Dreamcast version are ports of the PC release which itself was an upresed port of the PS1 dualshock re-release so they're all pretty much the same game barring minor graphical differences. Can't imagine it'll look all that good on a sharp PC monitor though. Might as well stick with the DC version if you already have it.

Hasney

Dreamcast if you have access to a CRT monitor. I can't imagine it looking good on a modern flatscreen monitor.

Otherwise, Dolphin.

Z..

Lots of Resi threads popping up at the moment. Really makes me want to play.

That's how I got here... Gave REmake a second go on the Dolphin... and now it's time to revisit my fav classic RE. Man, I haven't played this gem in 13 years!

The GameCube version is your best bet. Slightly sharper than the DC game. Both it and the Dreamcast version are ports of the PC release which itself was an upresed port of the PS1 dualshock re-release so they're all pretty much the same game barring minor graphical differences. Can't imagine it'll look all that good on a sharp PC monitor though. Might as well stick with the DC version if you already have it.

I'd be playing the DC version on a PC monitor too (VGA box, son!), so it's a bit of a moot point, in that regard...

I've never played the N64 version but could totally see it being a great version also. Did it have any different content at all?

A bit! It had "ex-files" hidden around that provided more background detail. It also had alternate costumes, and a mode that randomized item locations. And that's on-top of generally better graphics and sound (compressed FMVs aside--which were still super impressive given the medium)

Shin-Ra

It's been a long, long time but I think the Dreamcast version had smoother texture filtering than Gamecube which had more of a blocky PSone-like appearance but higher res than the PSone textures, still.

I think the PAL DC version supported 60Hz, but not Gamecube.

GC let you skip cutscenes.

The DC VMU would display your health ECG.

DC had most of the extra modes unlocked from the start and I think there was a gallery feature which unlocked as you went through.

The FMV was 60fps on Dreamcast which I remember being particularly impressed by at the time.

Nemesis_

I honestly thought that the GCN versions of the games were based on the Dreamcast versions since they were technically the best versions of those games available.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I typically hear debates between people arguing whenever the Gamecube, Dreamcast, or the Sourcenext PC version. Some also will argue N64, as that version has some content that is exclusive to it.

Basically, it's cut like this:

Original PSX version is obviously the base game, so none of the later content is included with it.

There was a redone dualshock controller version of RE2 for PS1 though. This version included dualshock support, as well as a new EX Battle Minigame. Notable this is the version available on PSN.

Nintendo 64 was the worst looking and worst audio compressed version, and one cutscene in the game was cut. But the version does include a few things that weren't in any other version, which includes the ability to change blood color, extra readable files, an item randomization system you can turn on that will make where items are stored have a random item (like ammo, a herb, etc), and a cameo of the Hunter. However, the Nintendo 64 game missed the EX Battle Minigame.

First PC release is the dualshock version, but with everything unlocked from the start (EX Battle Mini Game, Tofu and HUNK scenario) and prettier looking.

Dreamcast is the PC version, except some argue its better as it was way better optimized for the Dreamcast than the PC, and is tied for best graphics with the Gamecube (better resolution on the Dreamcast, but the Gamecube version received graphic updates).

There later was a Sourcenext PC version in 2006. This one has the second best graphics and best audio, and the only version with uncompressed video, but one big notable thing is that for some reason Leon and Claire's campaigns have been combined into one large campaign

Gamecube version had everything of the Dualshock version, though the minigames were unlockable again and not unlocked from the start like the PC and Dreamcast versions. Cutscenes can be skipped in this version (can't in other versions), and a few minor changes (the 'RESIDENT EVIL 2' narrator at the start is different, end credits show CG scenes from the game), and is also tied for the best looking version (Gamecube version was updated some to look better, but Dreamcast has the best resolution).

Honestly, Gamecube or Dreamcast is the way to go, unless you want some of the quirks of the 64 version.

Spades

That's how I got here... Gave REmake a second go on the Dolphin... and now it's time to revisit my fav classic RE. Man, I haven't played this gem in 13 years!

I hear you man. I don't think I've fully played through RE since back in the late 90's. You can't download the PSX originals on your PS4 can you?

ShadyJ

Ive got Remake, 0, 2,3 & CV on GC and looked into this too, from what i read RE2 doesnt really have a "BEST" version.

They all have they're strengths from what i could gather, but i did come to the conclusion that owning the GC version is desirable.

I own both N64 and GameCube versions and I always preferred the N64 one. Better controls and loading times. The extra files were sweet and while audio, fmvs and backgrounds are compressed as hell, it has better polygonal models.

Dusk Golem

It always blows my mind that REmake was released exactly 6 years after the original.

I mean the difference between this:

re1-main-hall.jpg

And THIS:

resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-mansion-screenshot.jpg

Is absolutely staggering.

It always blows my mind that REmake was released exactly 6 years after the original.

And THIS:]

It is amazing just how good Capcom´s games that used pre rendered backgrounds aged visually.

I´m playing Onimusha: Warlords for the very first time right now (a 12+ years old game) and it does look pretty great !

...and REmake is still a sight to behold.
Been waiting for this thread to pop up (was going to make it myself but we have had a surge of Resi threads lately so I stopped myself)

I have a question though regarding the Dreamcast version, I have the disc for the Dreamcast version however I no longer have a Dreamcast, and since the Dreamcast version is by far the best version of the game I was wondering is there anyway I can emulate it on the PC? (It's a windows CE game and as far as I am aware no Dreamcast emulators can emulate CE games?)

Any help would be appreciated.

.....one disc ?

Resident Evil 2 has 2 discs on the Dreamcast.

News Bot

Banned
There later was a Sourcenext PC version in 2006. This one has the second best graphics and best audio, and the only version with uncompressed video, but one big notable thing is that for some reason Leon and Claire's campaigns have been combined into one large campaign

There is no uncompressed video. They are poorly compressed MPEG1 hard-coded with Japanese subtitles. They are better than the originals, but they're still not great. The text is all Japanese too.

Not sure what you mean by the campaign combination. Is it not like the GC version where you can switch on-the-fly via the options menu?

I own both N64 and GameCube versions and I always preferred the N64 one. Better controls and loading times. The extra files were sweet and while audio, fmvs and backgrounds are compressed as hell, it has better polygonal models.

Goes without saying but the "EX Files" were mistranslated into shit.

Brad's Note
Chris' Report
Internal Message
Jill's Note
Jill's Report
Job Offer Information!
MA121 Research and Development Progress Report
Mercenary's Diary
Rebecca's Report
Research Background on the Progenitor Virus
Robert's Letter
The Great Novelist's Will
Written Orders

Seik

Banned
Dreamcast, with a non-scratched disc.

My Leon disc keeps crashing at the licker's video at the beginning. I need to buy another one soon. :(

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

And THIS:

resident-evil-1-remake-gamecube-mansion-screenshot.jpg

What is saddening is that now almost 12 years have passed since REmake and it feels shorter than the time it took from RE1 to REmake. :(

@OP: The best version I played of it was the GCN version.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Pre redenderd backgrounds need a comeback
I don't think that will ever happen. I would love to but I don't think any studio has the balls to go back to tank controls - although I'm sure a game could do just fine with those controls even today.

Man, why did Mikami only made this shitty deal with Nintendo? REmake would have never bombed if it would have been released on PS2...

Feindflug

Pre redenderd backgrounds need a comeback

It would be cool just for having more diversity visual wise in today's games but will such a move be reasonable in terms of budget these days? in other words will it be cheaper to REmake RE2 with pre-rendered backgrounds than making full 3D environments? that's the question.

BTW REmake still looks absolutely gorgeous, bought the Wii Edition about a month ago and after playing for about an hour I have to say that the atmosphere in this game is simply amazing.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It would be cool just for having more diversity visual wise in today's games but will such a move be reasonable in terms of budget these days? in other words will it be cheaper to REmake RE2 with pre-rendered backgrounds than making full 3D environments? that's the question.
Huh? What makes you think a RE with pre-rendered background would not be A LOT cheaper to make?

Dusk Golem

I don't think that will ever happen. I would love to but I don't think any studio has the balls to go back to tank controls - although I'm sure a game could do just fine with those controls even today.

Man, why did Mikami only made this shitty deal with Nintendo? REmake would have never bombed if it would have been released on PS2...

Mikami had made it very clear at the time he really disliked PS2.

"(...)he was frustrated developing for PlayStation 2, which was tough to work with. But his team's bonuses were tied to game sales. He needed a reason, a way to explain the shift away from the wildly successful PlayStation 2, the dominant platform of the time, "(...)

He first got in contact with Microsoft, but through a misunderstanding no agreement was made, and when Microsoft tried to contact Mikami again to strike a deal, he had already stricken a deal with Nintendo.

There is no uncompressed video. They are poorly compressed MPEG1 hard-coded with Japanese subtitles. They are better than the originals, but they're still not great. The text is all Japanese too.

Not sure what you mean by the campaign combination. Is it not like the GC version where you can switch on-the-fly via the options menu?

That's interesting, I was told and believed they were uncompressed, but I'm no expert on this. Sourcenet and the original PSX versions of RE2 are the two I personally have not played, so on those two I'm only going off what others said. You're probably right about the campaign thing but I swear someone I know who played through the Sourcenet version was going on a tangent about a one campaign thing in that version. And of course they'd be in Japanese as it was only released in Japan, that is definitely worth noting though and somehow escaped me, so good to mention.

I remember being disappointed in GC version of RE2, but that might just have been because of the crazy high standards set by REmake.

If you have the DC version I don't think you
need to invest in anything else though.

olimpia84

If you don't mind the compressed cutscenes the N64 version is my personal choice due to loading times and the extra files.

I really liked the extra 3D model renders and artworks featured in the PC version as well. I have never been a PC gamer and it is one of the very few games that I have played on PC

Play it on Dolphin. The GameCube release was the best. It had all the same content as the Dualshock release from the playstation (available on PSN), but had slightly better graphics and faster loading times.

Top Bottom