• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best video game music with lyrics?

Dunan

I love all the vocal music in Nier, and only after I tried to transcribe it phonetically did I notice that there are several distinct made-up languages that are being sung in. Some of the songs feature regular use of phonemes that don't appear in any of the other songs The /w/ sound seems to be only in "The Wretched Automatons"; "Temple of Drifting Sands" and "Ultimate Weapon" have many /ch/ sounds whereas "Shadowlord" -- my personal favorite -- has none. "Kaine" seems to be in a French-like language whereas "Grandma" has the sounds of French.

Massive Nier spoilers:
And it makes perfect sense that the songs should contain the phonemes of human language, without actually being evolutions or combinations of actual languages, because the "people" of Nier's world are not human and gained their intelligence themselves, and thus would have created their own languages from scratch organically. They still have human vocal cords, though, so the sounds should be human.

I really wish Emi Evans had released the lyrics in the liner notes, and explained how each song was created.

And those of you who posted about Aquaria, thanks a ton. I'd never heard of the game until today... and am now entranced by the music.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Someone already posted Far Away by Jose Gonzalez. Why is this thread still going?

Celine

Hiltz said:
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Hell Frozen Rain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teUYh0pT6MM

"In your mind's eye lives a memory
Hard to find, blinded by sorrow
And her cold voice sings a melody
Hear her sing, hell frozen rain falls down"

Always On My Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwjaab1ChbA&feature=related

"Maybe I didn’t love you quite as often as I could have,
And maybe I didn’t treat you quite as good as I should have.
If I made you feel second best, I’m so sorry I was blind.
You were always on my mind."

Acceptance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkajjogjGu0&feature=related

"Night falls—strange colored walls: My eyes deceive what is wrong with me.
Deep in the night you think everything’s right.
Tell it to yourself—say it’s just a nightmare.
Something is telling you nothing can change where you are again."

When You're Gone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh5JHzlLthg&feature=related

"Objects in my room—they might be telling me something soon.
Still you ask me how I feel. I feel lost—that’s how I feel.
I know there’s something I’ve forgotten—like a time, a place, a shattered memory.
For me, it’s more than I can seem to handle: It’s the pain my mind is writing on the wall."
Really liked SM sung tracks.

FF VI Aria di Mezzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1ZL2vVS08Y

NMH
"Can't find the exit" ( it's genius how it is tied to the ending ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrJbLBFpcVE

This count... I feel as if I'm looking at my future self. Mega bucks, big ass house, fast cars... Dining in style with a world class chef and a trusty nutritionist counting every calorie. A team of hot yoga instructors to keep me in shape. Nurses to attend to my body... Maids and loyal servants at my beck and call. On the weekends, tanned babes knocking on my door every two hours. Every day full of excitement and luxury. That'd be the life. Everything in its right place. It's the perfect life. It's the life for winners. That'll be my life! I thirst for selflessness. Hypocrites lusting for their own desires get killed by young rookies like me. This is how it goes down. And for the old killers? They'll croak anyway. I guess you can call this a comedy. I realize there's really nothing here for me. But what else can I do but keep going? Maybe I should have been a little more careful before I jumped in. Gotta find the exit. Gotta find that exit to Paradise. But, I can't see it. Can't see anything. There's this sense of doom running down my spine, like it's... Like it's trying to suck the life out of me. I need to get rid of it before I bail. Something deeper... Deeper than my instincts is taunting me. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit.

Conker's The Great Mighty Poo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQC5rpmKVM4

EDIT:
Oh and Goemon 64 intro , so mother fucking good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW2Zu5kZWl0

xXJonoXx

Shift 2: Unleashed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8soiAq9qrU

While the original non remix version is not a song made specifically for Shift 2, the remix was.. and hot damn is it good!

I find after I played about 3 hours of this game that the music was better than the actual gameplay. Also, why the hell doesn't the music play during the race? Guess I am just too used to the awesomeness of Hot Pursuit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
I love all the vocal music in Nier, and only after I tried to transcribe it phonetically did I notice that there are several distinct made-up languages that are being sung in. Some of the songs feature regular use of phonemes that don't appear in any of the other songs The /w/ sound seems to be only in "The Wretched Automatons"; "Temple of Drifting Sands" and "Ultimate Weapon" have many /ch/ sounds whereas "Shadowlord" -- my personal favorite -- has none. "Kaine" seems to be in a French-like language whereas "Grandma" has the sounds of French.

Massive Nier spoilers:
And it makes perfect sense that the songs should contain the phonemes of human language, without actually being evolutions or combinations of actual languages, because the "people" of Nier's world are not human and gained their intelligence themselves, and thus would have created their own languages from scratch organically. They still have human vocal cords, though, so the sounds should be human.

I really wish Emi Evans had released the lyrics in the liner notes, and explained how each song was created.
You are awesome because you sound like a fellow linguistics major. HIGH FIVE!

Seriously, I loved all the words stuff, the ending themes in several sound-alike languages, and the entire soundtrack in general--the linguistics implementation is mostly why I love the game so fucking much.

Yes, everything that had to do with Grandma and the Aerie sounded a lot like pseudo-French. I wouldn't be surprised if anything that revolved around Facade had to do with out of sequence Japanese (there are only five vowels being used in a lot of Facade stuff--Japanese only has five vowels compared to Standard Canadian English, which has a lot more). I'd love to see a phonetic system of all the language systems in Nier, but we'd probably never see it. I'd love to see the phonotactics for every song, too. Kaine is actually Gaelic, though. Automatons is English--because it does use a combination of approximants, liquids, post-alveolars, back and mid vowels quite liberally.

The four major languages that I picked out myself were: French, English, Gaelic and Japanese (which sounded like it had the mora sounds reversed or out-of-sequence). Though Evans herself said she used at least eight languages. It is quite interesting how distinct all the languages are because it seems like the geography in Nier is quite small in scale... but meh. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm more of the psycholinguistics/neurolinguistics-type than sociolinguistics and language change type (though I am very very interested in historical linguistics).

In my mind, Nier does count for this thread because it does use lyrics in an interesting way. Quite disappointed when I didn't see info about the lyrics and writing process in the OST, myself. But this interview seemed sufficient enough. It's very interesting from a fellow vocalist's perspective. When I used to do RCM vocal, I had to sing in French, Latin and Italian (because I was a mezzo-soprano). I rarely sang anything in German because all those songs seemed to be low for me.

Emi Evans said:
When we sat down to have the initial meeting about NieR, I was asked to write all the lyrics in made-up futuristic languages as well as sing.
For example “Kaine,” they asked me write in a Gaelic sounding language, “The Wretched Automatons” in futuristic English and “Grandma” in futuristic French.

Altogether I wrote songs in 8 languages based on Gaelic, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, English and Japanese. I would find clips of language lessons for the required psuedo-language on the Internet and then just listen over and over to get the sounds and rhythms into my head and also try writing down passages in the language too in the hope I could absorb something extra. Then it was just a matter of trying to imitate the flow and fit similar sounds around the melody.

The only song which has a totally made-up language is “Song of the Ancients” which was the very first song I wrote lyrics for and had been given no guidelines at all other than “imaginary language.” I think that, at this early stage, no one was quite sure how to go about creating these new languages, so they just left me to it to see what happened!

Basically, as NieR is set in the future, the MoNACA team decided they wanted me to image how our languages of today would sound after thousands of years, so with the exception of “Song of the Ancients,”I felt that rather than creating made up languages for each song, I was taking a specific language, respectfully manipulating it and then aging it a few thousand years..

With “Ashes of Dreams”, NieR’ s producer, Mr. Yoko, gave me a list in Japanese of all the key words he wanted me to use. I translated each word into English, French and Gaelic (not German, as is suggested!), then scattered them throughout each song, twisting each word slightly so that the sound would be different but to just me and the team, it would have meaning. If you listen to the English version of “Ashes of Dreams” you'll understand what I'm singing about on the other versions too!

Sorry for the tangent, but whenever someone brings up linguistics, I just have to gush and gush about it. I love my second major so so so so much.

Masked Man

I said wow
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future: Ann Sally - "Time Travel" (時間旅行)
"A bell rings, carving out time in this town
Where past and future come and go"
<3

RadioHeadAche said:
"Bluffing Damacy" from We Love Katamari

Holy shit, it's so exciting to know that other people appreciate this song as much as I do.
3AQmK.gif
My love of the song increased tenfold once I became aware of the fact that it's about confronting one's own weaknesses, chiefly alcoholism.

Dunan

Dark Schala said:
You are awesome because you sound like a fellow linguistics major. HIGH FIVE!

LANGUAGE BROFIST! ^_^;

Linguistics grad student here too!

Yes, everything that had to do with Grandma and the Aerie sounded a lot like pseudo-French.

When talking about Kaine and Grandma, I posted "French" for both for some reason; I meant that Kaine sounded like Gaelic. The interview you referenced below -- a great one that all Nier fans should read -- says the same thing, and I'd forgotten it when I first started transcribing the songs! (I should post those, here or in a Nier thread, and see if other people are hearing them as I am.)

I wouldn't be surprised if anything that revolved around Facade had to do with out of sequence Japanese (there are only five vowels being used in a lot of Facade stuff--Japanese only has five vowels compared to Standard Canadian English, which has a lot more).

The speech of the Facadians (particularly the King) was made from Japanese, with a bunch of weird substitution rules thrown in to make it sound different. Now I want to go back and listen to the Facade dungeon music and see if it also follows these rules!

I'd love to see a phonetic system of all the language systems in Nier, but we'd probably never see it.

This would have been perfect for Grimoire Nier, but the only music-related info in there is the lyrics to "Ashes of Dreams". I wish she'd put the lyrics online or something; I'm sure the transcriptions by us amateurs are fraught with errors!

I still wonder if the lyrics she made up are internally consistent (like the languages Tolkien invented), or if they're just strings of sounds.

In my mind, Nier does count for this thread because it does use lyrics in an interesting way. Quite disappointed when I didn't see info about the lyrics and writing process in the OST, myself. But this interview seemed sufficient enough.

Any Nier fan who hasn't read this should read it now. It's excellent.

One heartbreaking thing in that interview was seeing that Emi Evans is interested in endangered languages, and that she wrote some of the music while on Ishigaki island in Okinawa. Within walking distance of her were elderly folks who still speak the native languages of that island, from before when Japanese started taking over everything. In 1771, the Great Meiwa Tsunami deluged many islands in that area, and some of the residents of one island had to start again on Ishigaki. They brought their language with them, and today their descendants, who took up the Ishigaki language but kept some features of their original language, now speak something distinct.

Now there's an idea... get Emi Evans to do a song in an Okinawan language! They're all related to Japanese, so Japanese speakers could take a stab at what it means, but it's different enough that it's still a foreign language. They're further apart than Latin and Spanish; maybe more like Latin and French. Fascinating stuff.

Are you interested in writing systems? That's my field, and I try to decipher every video game alphabet I find. Nier's was quite fun. ^^;

Thoraxes

Dunan said:

While not about every single song in there, here's an interview on OSV that she did that does explain a ton of things.
http://www.originalsoundversion.com/deep-into-nier-interview-with-vocalist-and-lyricist-emi-evans/

Also, I had to study phonetics when I was composing avant-garde vocal music. Man, that was really time consuming and hurt my head.

EDIT: Beaten. I should read more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dunan said:
LANGUAGE BROFIST! ^_^;

Linguistics grad student here too!

Are you interested in writing systems? That's my field, and I try to decipher every video game alphabet I find. Nier's was quite fun. ^^;
Aw, I did linguistics in my undergrad (along with neurosci), and pretty much took nearly every single available linguistics course (I even took Optimality Theory, phonetic analysis (Phonetics II), French syntax/morphology/etc, speech perception, and a ton of language pedagogy courses when I didn't even need them). I have a huge interest in historical linguistics, though--language change, English etymology and writing systems were my favourite courses out of all the linguistics courses I took. I really want a language tree poster, but it’d probably be humongous. XD

I applied to speech-language pathology programs, though. And if that doesn't work out (ie: if I don't get in), I'll have to resort to engineering instead. It'll be a real shame, since I like linguistics a lot.

The speech of the Facadians (particularly the King) was made from Japanese, with a bunch of weird substitution rules thrown in to make it sound different. Now I want to go back and listen to the Facade dungeon music and see if it also follows these rules!
It'd be incredibly smart if all the songs were similar according to region. “Temple of Drifting Sands” doesn’t sound like Facade speech to me right now, however (but I don’t have access to headphones at the moment so I could be wrong). I thought it was interesting that Song of the Ancients consisted of gibberish, however—in a pre-Tower of Babel-like language. Interesting, considering the geographical position of the Village towards the middle of the "world" (though given that it comes from Devola and Popola, it could have a different meaning entirely).

This would have been perfect for Grimoire Nier, but the only music-related info in there is the lyrics to "Ashes of Dreams". I wish she'd put the lyrics online or something; I'm sure the transcriptions by us amateurs are fraught with errors!

I still wonder if the lyrics she made up are internally consistent (like the languages Tolkien invented), or if they're just strings of sounds.
From reading the interview, it sounds like she randomly stringed them together based on sound and phonemes of that language. Similar to a baby’s babbling in terms of playing with the sounds and how they feel in the vocal tract. But I have a little hope that they have some sort of sense (but realistically, this is likely not the case). But given that the songs sound like a certain language, at least it seems like they follow some sort of phonotactical order. At first, I thought the lyrics were supposed to be similar to Proto-Indo-European and Proto- Japanese-Ryukyuan/Proto-Japonic.

What also interests me are the Words. Though they seem to be written in a “Shin Megami Tensei”-like manner with identical roots and minor morphological differences (conjugation/declension), I’d like to know whether or not these words’ roots have some sort of connection with modern languages (or if this was an invention of the developers or localization crew themselves).

One heartbreaking thing in that interview was seeing that Emi Evans is interested in endangered languages, and that she wrote some of the music while on Ishigaki island in Okinawa. Now there's an idea... get Emi Evans to do a song in an Okinawan language! They're all related to Japanese, so Japanese speakers could take a stab at what it means, but it's different enough that it's still a foreign language. They're further apart than Latin and Spanish; maybe more like Latin and French. Fascinating stuff.
That was another one of my thoughts—that she had picked some moribund languages in order to compose lyrics. But that would be incredibly time-consuming: finding speakers (and finding people to take you to those speakers), taking the time to learn the language or its sounds (which could be a lengthy process), possibly living amongst the people for a time to learn the lifestyle and why these sounds have the meanings they do (but that might be too much of a linguistic field study rather than simply sampling the language). But I suppose it makes far more sense to use current iterations of languages since it takes place in the future of “our” present, if that makes sense—though if she picked some langue d’oc and langue d'oïl stuff, I wouldn’t mind). I suppose that if Nier were a slightly bigger world, they could include derivative languages similar to the parent language (though in the theoretical game’s case, Okinawan languages would be derivative of pseudo-Japanese). I’d really love to hear Evans’s take on these languages as well.

But if any sort of media attention helps to revive the moribund languages a bit, I’d certainly be all for it.

ikkemenx

Hellcrow said:

I'LL MAKE IT THROUGH!

While I'm at it: LIVE AND LEAAARN!, Open Your Heart, etc.

EDIT: Beaten several times now xD

Also,

Melty Blood OP
Burn My Dread- Persona 3
Starry Heavens- Day After Tomorrow (Tales of Symphonia Japanese Opening)
Sonic Boom- Sonic CD (Ending is good too)
The Ultimate Energy- Hironobu Kageyama (Budokai 3 Opening Japanese)
Fly in the Freedom- Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (Rouge's theme)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles- Kaze no Ne
Tobikatta wo wasurate chiisana tori- MISIA (Star Ocean 3)

Definitely second the mentions of Suteki Da Ne, and Eyes on Me is totally gonna be my wedding song :D.

Top Bottom