• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best VR Experiences on PSVR

The Shepard

I'm having a family get together on bonfire night (Nov 5th) and the vr will be joining the party like last year as everyone seemed to enjoy it. I'm looking for more of an experience than a full on game that everybody can jump in and have a go. Last year everybody loved the shark cage in vr worlds and the ghost train with moves most so anything like that.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Typhares

Superhot
Rez infinite
Thumper for rythm game
Until dawn rush of blood for rail shooter
Statik puzzle game
Rec room it's free (in fact there are a bunch of free stuff on the store)

Fuller games:
Moss
Astrobot
RE7

Edit: for your specific purpose I would say superhot/thumper

Last edited:

Barsinister

Banned
There is a game about defusing a bomb that would include everyone, one wears the helmet and everyone else gives instructions. "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes".

My experience is limited so far, as I’m new to it, but Astro Bot is one of the most singularly impressive video game experiences of my life. It’s amazing.

AlexxKidd

Experiences?

It's short, but Last Guardian VR. Thank me later.

Until Dawn Rush of Blood. It's on rails, a child could do it. But much like the diving thing from VR Worlds, it's a great VR showcase to non-gamers.

Shits and giggles?

Put them in RE7. It never gets old.

Games?

I think Thumper is great for this. Simple enough to understand. And hella trippy. My go to. May soon be replaced by the even trippier looking Tetris Effect.

Gamer games?

Got a smart ass who's saying "These are all experiences where's the games?" Well, if you haven't scared the living piss out of him with RE7, feel free to boot up Astrobot.

Theres so many great games, I've had my PSVR for a couple of months now having grabbed the Skyrim Bundle.

The game I recommend to showcase VR right now would be Astro Bot, easy to get into, simple but creative controls, SO immersive and gorgeous worlds.

With guests I try to remember its not likely that anyone has their VR legs yet, so games that move at a slower pace, sitting down is usually the best case scenario. Had a friend over from out of town, he was doing great with VR for his first time playing over the weekend, graduated him to Gran Turismo Sport near the end of the weekend and he got to feeling pretty sick, I over estimated how fast he was getting his VR legs.

My favs, my top 10 right now.

Resident Evil 7
Superhot VR
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission
Moss
RIGS
Gran Turismo Sport
Firewall Zero Hour
Arizona Sunshine
Job Simulator
Thumper

Honorable mentions to Farpoint, Rec Room and Honor and Duty which is in beta but just simple and fun.

In the future Media Molecules Dreams will be the pinnacle of PSVR with a Little Big Planet style community, PSVR content day confirmed, PSVR user created levels confirmed, that according to what I've read must be completed and tested to make sure players don't get sick. So basically you'll be able to create a game for your family to play the next, next time they come over. A beta will likely happen in 2018 and the game will launch sometime in 2019.

Last edited:

Wonkytonk

Astro Bot, Moss, Headmaster, Ultrawings and Job Simulator and London Heist. Those are my personal favourites.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

In terms of experiences, one of the most amazing 360 degree VR videos that I have seen is this 2017 Youtube video from the New York Times - which is a short VR video based on the recent novel, "Lincoln in the Bardo":

For me, this video really showcases the "serious" entertainment potential of VR. While "Lincoln in the Bardo" is a best-selling novel, the short VR experience really brings to life Abraham Lincoln anguishing over his son's death. It also captures a realistic scene that I have often pondered at funerals/cemeteries - which is thinking about how deceased family members would view their respective lives/deaths. I found the depiction of Lincoln and his son's close relationship in VR to be incredibly moving and authentic - even though there are many parts of this video from a technical standpoint that break your immersion now and then because they are clearly 2D (especially some of the flat background scenery in the cemetery).

This is a nice short video that an older relative or non-gaming fan can watch on PSVR and really see the potential of VR for serious themes.

Hinedorf

Banned
RE7 is very much a single player experience that wont work as well in a group, but if you're looking to give somebody a fully immersive experience I'm not sure there's a better choice.

For me it only took about 15-20 minutes before said immersive experience was way too much for me, but that's more or less the point of showing off what ya got.

I generally start friends/family off with the demo disk on the Shark encounter to get a feel if it works for them, some people will get uncomfortable or feel it's too blurry, so find something simple to start people off with.

Top Bottom