• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ways to fix a badly scratched disc?

Hello GAF,

Yesterday, I was at a Flea Market and I bought a PS2 game which was horribly scratched. So badly that when I put the game in it would just stay on the loading screen.

I know of one way to Fix a Scratched Disc and that's the Toothpaste Technique in which you rub the toothpaste on the disc. So far that hasn't really worked out and it didn't work, still the same loading screen.

what are some alternate methods for fixing scratched discs?

eXistor

I don't know about Gamestop, but here in the Netherlands you can get them fixed for a couple of bucks at most game stores. They have professional disc-repair machines that pretty much restore them to new condition (provided the scratches aren't too deep of course).

neto

Are the scratches only on the reflective side? if yes then by buffing it could be recovered, if the scratches are on the label side, it is probably destroyed

Hazaku

I've applied vasoline on big ass scratches on DVDs and DVD based games in the past.

DO NOT COVER YOUR DISC IN VASOLINE!

antitrop

Spread peanut butter over it then put it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
eV0ReZc.gif

I use radioshock DVD/Bluray repair and then use a microfiber cloth to rub it in. It works pretty good for surface scratches. but nothing too deep. I had mixed results with toothpaste, especially the one with backing soda.

I read that the older version of brasso works really well for deep scratches.

Justinh

I bought a couple games in the past year that I want to get fixed, Earthworm Jim 2 and Darius Gaiden both complete for the Saturn. They're okay, but one of the levels in Darius doesn't load and the first stage music skips in Earthworm Jim.

I keep putting it off for some reason, but I noticed that estarland has a disc resurfacing surface that I want to try. It's only 3 bucks for CD games which would be a lot cheaper than rebuying even just the disc only versions of the games.

I think it's more expensive for DVD games, though.
fake edit: yeah, 4 dollars. I think I haven't done it because...well I dunno, I just feel weird about sending them stuff. I guess you pay up front?

Kaz42

My nephew left his game out for awhile and now it's got all these spots all over it, will the toothpaste or rubbing alcohol trick work for this problem?

213372bu

Banned
It has numerous doctor relatives

skipdoctor_big.jpg

Yeah tried this before with my old disks and thought I was SoL.

The toothpaste trick has rarely worked for me, the Ajax one works actually pretty decently.

But if you see someone with a disk resurfacer MACHINE, (mom and pop game/record stores have these) these work 99% of the time.

Balb

If the game is valuable then get it resurfaced at a game store. If it's not, might as well buy a new one (disc-only copies of most games are fairly cheap).

Don't buy/use one of those crappy disc repair devices like Game Doctor. The good resurface machines cost hundreds of dollars, which the aforementioned game stores tend to have.

miku

Everyone considers themselves a comedian/secretly hoping a mod notices their post and gives them a tag or additional tag for their efforts.

So you get a tag for posting something funny/stupid?

I hope I don't get one of those tag then.

Justinh

Exactly. Gamespot has them. It's like $5 though. Kind of defeats the purpose of buying the game at a flea market

gamestop has disc resurfacers? Do they not advertise this? I didn't know. That would be neat if my local one had one, as I wouldn't have to mail off my games to estarland.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RBE4B8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not a bad price if you have a lot of games or movies on dvd
I saw that too, and I guess it would be kinda convenient to be able to do this kinda stuff at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYGGpOvlLzg
After seeing some of the reviews on Amazon though, I think I'll just have someone with a pro unit do it for me.

Call around to video rental places in your area and see if any of them will repair discs. Buy a Disc Dr if you want, they usually work okay. If you want an immediate fix (and have Lemon Pledge on hand), try Lemon Pledge.

Top Bottom