• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BestBuy.com PS3 Preorders. "here is a coupon for your troubles PWNED LOL"

LJ11

What about Wal-Mart last year with the 360's? They put them up by accident on the Friday before release (non-bundled). Most of GAF ordered and subsequently received cancellation emails. We woke up the next day and we were all getting shipping confirmations. Needless to say, a week later I had a 360 on my doorstep. I hope this is similar situation, BB **** up but they honor it anyway.

Edit: The 360's at Wal-Mart didn't sell out for a couple of hours and they honored every last one of them. In order to stop the ordering they boosted shipping to $400 because they couldn't get their system to stop accepting orders.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
sonycowboy said:

I meant last year.

Remember when BB had advertised a December 18th pseudo-relaunch of the system? It was actually their second shipment. There were heavy rumors that suggested that some of that stock would ALSO be available through BestBuy.com...

I was one of the few GAFfers here that actually managed to secure his X360 in such a fashion. By my count, those X360s were sold out in about 4 minutes. I'm sure we still have that thread here somewhere.

I can't believe these PS3s are still up. I'm strongly feeling that someone at BB.com screwed up, and then everyone fell asleep.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Mejilan said:
I meant last year.

Remember when BB had advertised a December 18th pseudo-relaunch of the system? It was actually their second shipment. There were heavy rumors that suggested that some of that stock would ALSO be available through BestBuy.com...

I was one of the few GAFfers here that actually managed to secure his X360 in such a fashion. By my count, those X360s were sold out in about 4 minutes. I'm sure we still have that thread here somewhere.

I can't believe these PS3s are still up. I'm strongly feeling that someone at BB.com screwed up, and then everyone fell asleep.

That's when I snagged mine as well. The link went down in a few minutes, yeah. GAF makes console dreams come true.

GreekWolf

BB is still taking pre-orders after an hour? Yeah I'm pretty sure every US allocated unit would have been taken by now.

You've got guys here calling up every cousin and ordering 10 units a pop :lol

suaveric

LJ11 said:
Thanks Sonarrat. I hope this goes through. That last minute Wal-Mart snafu last year helped me get a 360, and I hope this works this year.

I thought about that as well, but the difference there was the 360s were already in Walmart's hands and they got shipped before billing could catch up. Billing has two weeks to catch up to this one, not just an afternoon.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
bigmakstudios said:
Would I be able to return it to a Best Buy store if I change my mind?
yes:
BestBuy.com Return Policy

If your item was purchased online, you can either bring it to a Best Buy store location or return it by mail to our return center.

You will receive a credit for your purchase only if it meets the criteria in our Return Policy. We do not offer merchandise exchanges. This policy applies only to purchases made directly from BestBuy.com and may vary slightly from Best Buy store return policies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damnit. Why the hell cant online sites just freaking set up a system where when they reach an exact # of preorders that immediately close out the transaction page and stop accepting. Either they are getting a lot and not many people are awake now or they messed up.

Bebpo

Banned
You can cancel BB pre-orders right?

/just ordered one. Hope it works!

~Kinggi~ said:
Damnit. Why the hell cant online sites just freaking set up a system where when they reach an exact # of preorders that immediately close out the transaction page and stop accepting. Either they are getting a lot and not many people are awake now or they messed up.

Well they are getting the majority of the 400k. I'd guess their online site would have 20k+ to sell.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Okay dudes, it seems everyone is getting charged on their credit cards already. What's the deal? It says they dont charge until they ship, but they are charging them. This isn't normal. Can this be the real thing?

Mejilan

Goreomedy said:
That's when I snagged mine as well. The link went down in a few minutes, yeah. GAF makes console dreams come true.

Yep, I remember you getting yours. We had people rooting for us, IIRC. I know I had tried many times to secure an Xbox over the course of that month, and all attempts (online or off) had failed. I'm really hoping that this PS3 order goes through.

The great irony is that there isn't one launch title I even plan on picking up, except for perhaps CoD3, if it's still a launch title. I'll be playing Tales of the Abyss, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Final Fantasy XII on my PS3, if all goes well!! :D

kiun

Wario64 said:
Okay dudes, it seems everyone is getting charged on their credit cards already. What's the deal? It says they dont charge until they ship, but they are charging them. This isn't normal. Can this be the real thing?

Retailers place a hold just to make sure you have the funds available....

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
bigmakstudios said:
Would I be able to return it to a Best Buy store if I change my mind?

you'll be able to return it to a best buy store if you feel like giving away hundreds of dollars.

Rhindle said:
Eh ... this has now been up for way too long. We're probably going to get screwed.

Probably but still, this is a rare window of opportunity for non-campers to get a PS3 relatively close to launch.

With 400,000 launch units and Best Buy a major electronics player, BB should be getting in tens of thousands of them overall. Even with 5-10% of their stock, that is still hundreds into a couple thousand PS3s that could be preordered online.

Not everyone has $600 of cash lying around to scramble to get a PS3. Even with a Credit Card.

I intend to resell this baby but you never know. With that gargantuan box in my hand, I might be all too tempted to open it up and play it.

joeposh

Mejilan said:
I meant last year.

While I'm not arguing your position, because it's most likely true that this was all a glitch, it should be noted that many many people were basically camping out at their computers waiting for those units to go active. It was well known that they were going to be putting up an online offering to go along with the re-launch, so resellers and desperate consumers were sitting there feverishly hitting refresh and waiting for signs of a restock. This deal on the other had was totally out of left field, so the timing issue might not be very significant.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wario64 said:

Dont you dare say that. I better not have to be dealing with my visa fraud department monday.

Dead

well not really...yet
Wario64 said:
It's an authorization charge. The amount should be back in your account within a few days or less. They'll charge you for real when they ship.

I've ordered from places that always operate like that many times (CDJapan for one)

LJ11

suaveric said:
I thought about that as well, but the difference there was the 360s were already in Walmart's hands and they got shipped before billing could catch up. Billing has two weeks to catch up to this one, not just an afternoon.

You have a very good point.

I noticed guys saying they are putting in multiple orders, so that's going to put a dent in our plans to begin with.

Is everyone ordering 20gb version, or are they going with 60gb because availability will be greater?

mrroboto

Banned
Wario64 said:

Another site is saying this may in fact be bogus and a phishing scam for credit cards.

Let me go find the link.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
<---- Sony's Bitch .... seriously.... what else would make me purchase a 600 dollar game system that I convinced my self i didnt need.....

I was actually gonna get a Wii... What the hell am I going to do with a 360 and a PS3....

I hate having disposable income.... a secret part of me wants this to be fake... I dont need this..

kiun

mrroboto said:
Another site is saying this may in fact be bogus and a phishing scam for credit cards.

Let me go find the link.

your order show up on the bestbuy website order history. The guy probably wanted to get his order in first :lol

LJ11

Wario64 said:

It's probably just a hold on the amount. It doesn't indicate whether the deal is on and we're in the clear. Their system is just checking to make sure you have room on your card.

draven

Curiouser and Curiouser...

When trying to verify the link through the BB website, I came across a linked page that states free shipping on any Sony product, accessory, and system:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspag...FKC4D3KVAFY?id=pcmcat8400050004&type=category

Free Shipping — All Sony Video Game Products
For a limited time, get free shipping on all games, systems and accessories for PS3, PS2 and PSP — including the new silver PS2 gaming console!

So, uh, why are we all paying for shipping? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but if my order actually does go through, I'm also asking for free shipping.

ethelred

mrroboto said:

Let me go find the link.

It's not bogus, it's not phishing for cards. They had my credit card information on file.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dead said:
It's an authorization charge. The amount should be back in your account within a few days or less. They'll charge you for real when they ship.

I've ordered from places that always operate like that many times (CDJapan for one)

Ah, ok

mrroboto, I think we've overruled the possibility of this being a phishing site. It's from bestbuy.com and entering our best buy customer accounts pulled up our Bestbuy.com account information. So no way this can be a phishing site

sonarrat said:
Time to pre-order some games, I think. *reads launch lineup thread*
I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering games because if you buy three PS3 games at Target on launch day, you get a free $20 Target card. I'm going to use that to get Sleepy Hollow on Blu-Ray.

joeposh said:
While I'm not arguing your position, because it's most likely true that this was all a glitch, it should be noted that many many people were basically camping out at their computers waiting for those units to go active. It was well known that they were going to be putting up an online offering to go along with the re-launch, so resellers and desperate consumers were sitting there feverishly hitting refresh and waiting for signs of a restock. This deal on the other had was totally out of left field, so the timing issue might not be very significant.

Are you sure?

Not everyone is going to hit F5 ad nauseum throughout the day.

Many people are partying, going to bars, playing games online, or like me, stuck doing a project due the following week.

I'm just wondering why I'm so optimistic about this thing coming through. I knew it probably wouldn't but every second, I'm hoping it is. Damn.

Tarazet

mrroboto said:

Let me go find the link.

No way, I can see my order on the real Best Buy site. It isn't a phishing scam.

mrroboto

Banned
Wario64 said:
Ah, ok

mrroboto, I think we've overruled the possibility of this being a phishing site. It's from bestbuy.com and entering our best buy customer accounts pulled up our Bestbuy.com account information. So no way this can be a phishing site

Yeah, the other guys are saying it looks ok.

Wonder if there was a disgruntled BB employee who put all the floor stock PS3's up on the site for preorder? :lol

Mejilan

1.) This is not a phishing scam.
2.) They haven't charged credit cards. At most, they're checking authorization.
3.) I refreshed the 60GB product page, and the PS3 image was taken down. Image coming soon.

The Experiment said:
Are you sure?

Many people are partying, going to bars, playing games online, or like me, stuck doing a project due the following week.

I'm just wondering why I'm so optimistic about this thing coming through. I knew it probably wouldn't but every second, I'm hoping it is. Damn.

Or using a webpage refresher.

I'm assuming it's over and I missed it, because I can't find anything on their site about a ps3 console sku or a pre order for it. :(

If it is still up, can someone confirm it, or even better link me?
Heh, still crossing my fingers.

joeposh

The Experiment said:
Are you sure?

I'm sure that's what happened with the "relaunch", yes but as I stated in reference to this occurance, I really don't know... it could be we all lucked out or it could be what it seems, too good to be true. I'm hoping it's for real, but until I see that for sure, I'm setting my expectations low.

Tarazet

Russian Steve said:
I'm assuming it's over and I missed it, because I can't find anything on their site about a ps3 console sku or a pre order for it. :(

There was never anything on their site about it. I found it with a search in Froogle. That's why there's a redirect link for the 20GB one.

lachesis

sonarrat said:
There was never anything on their site about it. I found it with a search in Froogle. That's why there's a redirect link for the 20GB one.

You sir... are the poster of the year! (if this works out for everyone).

Thank you!

bill0527

Goreomedy said:

Yes I also snagged a 360 during the 4 minute Wal-Mart window. Thanks GAF !! *thumbs up*. I really expected them to cancel my order so I went ahead and camped Target anyway and got a 360. Imagine my surprise when it showed up on my doorstep a week later. They got it to me fast enough for me to still make a few hundred bucks by selling my extra one on ebay.

Top Bottom