• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda announces Hearthstone (tentative title)

LaneDS

Have nothing to add except that the title is the best thing to come out of this night's conference.

edit: edging out a strong showing by Fallout 4, that is.

They failed to address the elephant in the room and explain how this will be different from Hearthstone.

I love Hearthstone, but Blizzard are kind of dropping the ball with providing new features (deck slots, console port, updated arena rewards, features for new players, ai).

So there is lots of scope to rip it off and still do better. Hopefully the competition helps.

I love Hearthstone, but Blizzard are kind of dropping the ball with providing new features (deck slots, console port, updated arena rewards, features for new players, ai).

So there is lots of scope to rip it off and still do better. Hopefully the competition helps.

Custom game rules would be nice in Hearthstone.

The trailer for this has the logo for Dire Wolf so they are probably the ones actually making this. They employ a number of pro Magic The Gathering players like Patrick Chapin and Luis Scott Vargas, so there's a pretty good chance the game itself will be pretty good. These guys at least know what a good card game is like.

LuuKyK

They are not even trying with this one are they? It literally looks like a re-skinned Hearthstone, and that's based on that CG trailer only. lol

Hastati

I'd probably be more excited if they released actual cards, because then it would have some substance.

The Elder Scrolls has never been known for good characterizations, and the mythos doesn't really stand out enough, both of which are kind of minuses with card games.

I might try it out but yeah, going to be very difficult to dethrone Hearthstone.

Also feels like another excuse to farm out the Elder Scrolls name.

This will be the Hearthstone killer! Very much hype!

No not really. Just find it amusing with all the failed "WoW killers" a few years back.

Bethesda about to pull the rug out from under Blizz. I always said to people on GAF, "Bethesda seems like the type that could make the next wizard poker killer app." And you alls would never believe me. Well looks who's laughing now, eh? Eh?!

Bethesda about to pull the rug out from under Blizz. I always said to people on GAF, "Bethesda seems like the type that could make the next wizard poker killer app." And you alls would never believe me. Well looks who's laughing now, eh? Eh?!

Blizz is. All the way to the bank.

Karkador

Banned
Unless the gameplay is completely different, there's no point to this at all. Hearthstone is already derivative, but Blizzard had a lot of things lined up to bring a card battling videogame to the masses.

Jawmuncher

Bethesda really wants to dethrone Warcraft in general it seems. Next we're going to see a Elder Scrolls movie if Warcraft does well.

Bethesda have a very different fan base. I can't see Skyrim fans wanting to do the exact same thing over and over for miniscule rewards.

barit

Card games based on popular franchises is the new thing in this industry I see?

Yu-Gi-Oh was really ahead of its time

weevles

It makes sense from a purely business perspective but from the outside looking in, it's just fucking comical how blatant they are being.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Why does it have to be different though? HearthStone is amazing as is, if this that just using Elder Scrolls universe then great!

Because then why would people switch? Hearthstone is established and part of the Blizzard system. What does Bethesdastone offer that Hearthstone doesnt do better?

wanders

The trailer for this has the logo for Dire Wolf so they are probably the ones actually making this. They employ a number of pro Magic The Gathering players like Patrick Chapin and Luis Scott Vargas, so there's a pretty good chance the game itself will be pretty good. These guys at least know what a good card game is like.

The how come they employ pro MTG players?

Haunted

I've laughed at Hearthstone when it was announced, and last year it appeared on my GOTY list, so I'll hold back for now.

Bethesda's not Blizzard, though.

Haunted

Because then why would people switch? Hearthstone is established and part of the Blizzard system. What does Bethesdastone offer that Hearthstone doesnt do better?
People can play both, they're small, casual time wasters, not huge time commitments - people play enough to complete two daily quests a day.

Opiate

The best indication of Hearthstone's success is mimicry.

And yes, most of us are aware that Hearthstone didn't invent the card game any more than Halo invented FPS. But make no mistake; Call of Duty moved to a console-centric focus because of Halo, not because of Doom or Half Life. And Elder Scrolls: Legend is copying Hearthstone, not Magic: The Gathering.

I wonder if this will be a bug ridden mess on launch that people speak highly of due to the promise of what it can be when it gets fixed.

Or maybe with the revenue from this game Bethesda can afford to not make bug ridden messes that win GOTY awards on promise.

massoluk

Banned
They weren't even being subtle about it.

BasicWellinformedIchthyosaurs.gif

I would've thought they were for the same game.

Holy fucking shit.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
After playing ESO and Skyrim I think I can safely say that no Bethesda game has heroes or even basic mobs that are iconic or aesthetically well designed to warrant a card game.

Hearthstone is popular because Blizzard games have iconic characters and monsters from a very colorful and well designed fantasy world.

The Elder Scrolls is great as a gritty representation of High Fantasy but most of its characters are really boring and ugly (Yes your Clannfear is ugly as fuck mage on ESO).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The best indication of Hearthstone's success is mimicry.

And yes, most of us are aware that Hearthstone didn't invent the card game any more than Halo invented FPS. But make no mistake; Call of Duty moved to a console-centric focus because of Halo, not because of Doom or Half Life. And Elder Scrolls: Legend is copying Hearthstone, not Magic: The Gathering.

Heh, I might play this if it somehow takes the RNG based losses out of the equation. There are so many times in Hearthstone I lose because of luck instead of skill :( .

edit. sorry double post

Top Bottom