• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda announces Hearthstone (tentative title)

Alavard

So we've got Elder Scrolls Online, Battleborn, and now this... Well, can't wait to see their version of Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2!

Cels

Heh, I might play this if it somehow takes the RNG based losses out of the equation. There are so many times in Hearthstone I lose because of luck instead of skill :( .

edit. sorry double post

I agree there is way too much randomness, but you probably win due to randomness just as much as you lose in the long run.

Shai-Tan

Banned
"bethesda announces hearthstone" makes me think of the people who used to say "that game is ripping off halo" because that's the first and only fps they ever played

PFD

Title is kind of childish. I know it's all fun and games, and I personally would never touch this game, but competition is always good.

Wish them the best of the luck

Incredible OP.
They weren't even being subtle about it.

BasicWellinformedIchthyosaurs.gif

I would've thought they were for the same game.

Is this Hearthstone or real Harthstone? Because floating Necropoli and six-legged spiderfolk are hella Warcraft.

CHC

Holy shit the thread title, amazing.

Also this terrible DeviantArt style for the cards themselves. It's so un-Elder Scrolls...

DrArchon

This is so shameless. That being said, I really can't blame them for doing it. Heathstone really carved out a space for itself in the "F2P digital card games" niche, so it was only a matter of time for other brands to join it. Maybe next E3 we'll so the EA and Ubi versions.

Danneee

Bethesda.net

The Elder Scrolls Legends

Bethesda aiming to be the next Blizzard.

Don't forget ESO.

I'm betting on another soon to be forgotten game from them here.

This is so shameless. That being said, I really can't blame them for doing it. Heathstone really carved out a space for itself in the "F2P digital card games" niche, so it was only a matter of time for other brands to join it. Maybe next E3 we'll so the EA and Ubi versions.

I'll be genuinely surprised if we don't get at least one Mass Effect/Dragon Age/HoMM/Assassins Creed/Watch Dogs F2P mobile CCG announced this E3.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There were other F2P card games before Hearthstone arrived on the scene. The big difference was, Hearthstone wasn't very greedy with its gold system/cash shop and was immediately appealing, while others had trouble getting a foothold due to complexity or grind.

So now Hearthstone is in the same position WoW was in a decade ago. There's no reason to switch away from Hearthstone because the game is very developed and players have already sunk a lot of time/money into it. Why throw that polish and commitment away for a new, untested game that looks like no more than a "me too" clone?

It's like no one remembers the lessons of the MMO "boom" years ago, and the short lived MOBA "boom" 2-3 years back. At least it won't be very expensive to develop so I guess they don't feel like they have much to lose.

Danneee

It's MOBA time!

Elder Scrolls: Arena 2.

Yeah, I'm all for not milking franchises but and trying new stuff with existing but the Elder Scrolls universe is imo only capable of sustaining one open world franchise. It's barely interesting mythology isn't really suited for something Blizzard is doing with Warcraft.

Opiate

no way.
that's hearthstone right? is this a joke and i'm falling for it?

The first three are Elder Scrolls. The last two (Floating crypt and spider) are Hearthstone.

You wouldn't be alone in being unable to recognize these are actually two different games.

kiguel182

Exactly what was on my mind.

They should've shown the game first to avoid this. Maybe try to explain why everyone should play this instead of hearthstone.

But they didn't. I don't think they can really compete with that. Bethesda is not Blizzard and Hearthstone is too huge.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The first three are Elder Scrolls. The last two (Floating crypt and spider) are Hearthstone.

You wouldn't be alone in being unable to recognize these are actually two different games.

Its weird because the actual Elder Scrolls look very distinct from anything Warcraft.

Karkador

Banned
The best indication of Hearthstone's success is mimicry.

And yes, most of us are aware that Hearthstone didn't invent the card game any more than Halo invented FPS. But make no mistake; Call of Duty moved to a console-centric focus because of Halo, not because of Doom or Half Life. And Elder Scrolls: Legend is copying Hearthstone, not Magic: The Gathering.

MTG is still a very popular and active game, and still the standard that all other card games like this are compared to. Doom and Half Life were long off the radar by the time CoD hit its stride, so people weren't going to be making much of a comparison there.

The last IP that art style reminds me of is Elder Scrolls.

This, looks very cheap and outsourced. I don't play card games but I figure attractive and striking art is a pretty big deal, right? Shame to see a publisher that was once so protective of its flagship property whoring it out to ride a bandwagon.

I can't even tell what race those humanoid characters were. They were just generic fantasy archetypes, and TES is anything but generic.

kukubrew

Holy shit, thanks for explaining. Had no clue... I guess ThatsTheJoke.gif there

this is being made by dire wolf digital, who have hired tons of magic players over the past year

i think lsv, chapin, conley woods, michael jacob just off the top of my head all work there. definitely more as well.

has me quite interested now.

Urthor

The people taking the time to make the Hearthstone analogy need to take a second and make a mental leap to the fact that the first mover advantage, whilst being pretty massive, isn't EVERYTHING.

Hearthstone isn't an absolutely perfect CCG and plenty of players criticise the relatively low skill cap and extremely narrow number of options it presents you. Granted, Elder Scrolls Legends is probably going to be an asynchronous TCG like Hearth is, sadly, but any other option here for a well backed TCG would be really fantastic.

Looking at their website, game is a chance to use the Unity engine judging by their job adverts, and obviously they've tripled down on MTG pros as designers.

Top Bottom