• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda reiterates Elder Scrolls 6 news is likely ‘years away’

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Starfield?

tenor.gif

Grinchy

Banned
I'm definitely gonna keep my eye out for Avowed. It's nice when other studios just rip off a formula and do it better than the original people, especially when the originals have become inept.

It's not a guarantee that that'll be the case for Avowed, but maybe! Outer Worlds definitely didn't even scratch the surface of Fallout...

True

The sandbox elements are the very thing that makes them unique and memorable. No other game has a world that feels the same. In other RPGs, be it Dragon Age, Outer Worlds, or Witcher, The dude who sells weapons is the weapons guy and stands there till the end of time. He might have a cool story, but in the world, he's static. In BGS's jank engine, that guy has a whole daily routine, which can vary by the day, or even month. He has a place to sleep and can eat at home or go someplace to eat. If he dies, which he can unlike many other games, he will be replaced by his son, or wife. And it's not just the guy selling weapons, it's everyone in the town. Their towns may be smaller, but every NPC (barring guards) has a name, a schedule, and unique dialogue. They have personal thoughts about what's going on in the city and area at large. Add to this the persistence of the world offered by their system of having just about everything in the world being a dynamic physics object instead of static, and their last game from 2015 is still unrivaled. They could drop a trailer any time, and when they say it's from the guys who actually made Skyrim, people get excited.

Spot on. The Creation engine is amazing. so many great random things that can happen. It's the only engine in games that I feel there's a whole living environment going on regardless of what I'm doing. The mods for Skyrim / Fallout enhance that even more. And yes you get the odd crash...the odd stuck on scenery, but it's a small trade off for such a rich world.

Top Bottom