• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda sunsetting the Bethesda.net launcher and moving to Steam

PuffyCan

Really weird move, not that I'm complaining, but it should have been transferred to your microsoft / xbox account instead. Maybe they can dodge offering cross-buy for those games by doing this lol

Buggy Loop

youtube the evil is defeated GIF

Laptop1991

Good decision, i didn't like the launcher, it was just a store anyway and it used more memory than all of the other launchers with no benefit's, Bethesda is better on Steam only for me like Skyrim and New Vegas days. and obviously, their launcher wasn't being used much.

Last edited:

PuffyCan

Microsoft isn’t giving up a 30% cut. No way it’s negotiated any higher than 20%.
They are literally giving steam free money:
The migration to Steam will include your game library and Wallet
Can't make any sense of this move when you take into account they'll have access to the battle.net launcher next year, and they already have the xbox / ms store. Only advantage I can see is the mod support build into steam... Hope it's not a sign of Valve being acquired

Andodalf

Banned

Can't make any sense of this move when you take into account they'll have access to the battle.net launcher next year, and they already have the xbox / ms store. Only advantage I can see is the mod support build into steam... Hope it's not a sign of Valve being acquired

It's probably a really simple deal. If MS puts previously non steam games on steam, they get a better cut from all their games on steam.

Aure

Banned
Never used it.
Battlenet, Ubisoft and Rockstar launcher needs to go.

As for Epic, i'm ok with it... for now.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Steam is the biggest PC store by far, PC gamers love it, many will only buy PC games from Steam.
So yeah Microsoft give up a percentage to Valve, but get way more sales making up for it. Plus its pretty obvious that Microsoft and Valve came to some arrangement with all this, and i very much doubt they are giving anywhere close to 30% to Valve.

PuffyCan

Steam is the biggest PC store by far, PC gamers love it, many will only buy PC games from Steam.
So yeah Microsoft give up a percentage to Valve, but get way more sales making up for it. Plus its pretty obvious that Microsoft and Valve came to some arrangement with all this, and i very much doubt they are giving anywhere close to 30% to Valve.
I get how selling those games on Steam makes a lot of sense, but migrating those user to steam with their wallet doesn't when you already own other options. Shows how confident they are about their own products lol

speckz

Good! I used this once and immediately realized it's terrible and forgot about it until now. Thanks for PTSD feels again.

YCoCg

Sure, but we don't know their cut. I honestly think it's wierd that they haven't bought Steam at this point.
Considering how much Steam has invested into Linux, it'd probably be considered a monopoly move and conflict of interest. Valve have done more for gaming on Linux than most companies put together.

Andodalf

Banned
Sure, but we don't know their cut. I honestly think it's wierd that they haven't bought Steam at this point.
Anti trust would be all over that. Apple is having to fight tooth and claw to keep their lockedown of their platform, SEC and co would never let MS take a step in that direction, even "just" for games.

Larxia

I like Battle.net better than Steam as well. Steam is due an update.
I really don't understand. I don't think that Battle.net was necessarily "bad", but it's very basic, it's just there to launch your game and nothing else.
What do you mean by "Steam is due an update" then if you prefer battle.net? An update that removes all the features on steam? so the opposite of an update actually.

YCoCg

lets do a fun experiment:

youre currently giving me 0% of your income

would you like to give me 20-30% of your income instead?
Think of it this way, would you rather have 100% earnings on a small market, or 80-85% earnings of a market 100x the size? That's always the thing with Steam, it's just that big, even Epic after spending all sorts of money are still far behind, the Microsoft Store is miniscule in comparison.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Juza

No, Battle Net is good.

I wonder if people who want Battle Net to move to Steam ever used Battle Net

A while ago I experienced latency and network issues only when I play games on Battlenet It turned out that there was a stream playing through the launcher, and there was no way to stop it. I emailed them and their response was: Deal with it. lol. Finally I found a way to block the host of the whole window!

What a stupid idea to put autoplay stream in the front of the launcher!

I don't know if it has been improved since then. I haven't opened the launcher since 2020.

Ozriel

M$FT
But they are, as they are basically moving everything over to Steam. Your comment doesn't make sense.

Steam has a special rate of 20% for large publishers whose games can cross $50 million in sales.

25% cut after the first $10 million revenue.

These rules have been in place for years, so your ignorance doesn’t make sense.

So, no. Microsoft isn’t paying 30% to Valve/Steam. I wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t negotiated privately for a flat rate.

Ozriel

M$FT
I still can't wrap my head around how an iconic software giant like Microsoft can make such a bad software. Isn't that their bread and butter ?
and it has been years.

It’s shocking levels of incompetence, and Phil Spencer has to take some heat for it too. Because it’s a major dampener to Gamepass PC adoption. Not sure why it’s taking MS forever to fix it.

lets do a fun experiment:

youre currently giving me 0% of your income

would you like to give me 20-30% of your income instead?
If doing so would increase my income, because you own a widely known and well-regarded platform that provides access to twice the number of monthly active users than the last two generations of my console platforms sold units combined, absolutely.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I didn't even know that existed. But then again the last Bethesda game I played on PC was Skyrim back in 2011-2012.

Last edited:
I'm pleased as now most of the TES games will be on the platform. Including the crappy DOS titles, excluding Daggerfall of course. Shame we can't migrate our games right now and have to wait until April.

If doing so would increase my income, because you own a widely known and well-regarded platform that provides access to twice the number of monthly active users than the last two generations of my console platforms sold units combined, absolutely.
there is value to be had by selling bnet games on steam but migrating their existing userbases over is an instant loss of money

theres 0 benefit for ms to move the existing hearthstone and wow players over and kneecap the money theyre already getting

YCoCg

there is value to be had by selling bnet games on steam but migrating their existing userbases over is an instant loss of money

theres 0 benefit for ms to move the existing hearthstone and wow players over and kneecap the money theyre already getting
To set up the games running from Steam, the work is already done, if they're closing down the service, then yeah, migrating HAS to be done, would you prefer the games just stop working?

Top Bottom