• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda VP - "The Evil Within and Rage did well enough to warrant sequels"

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
why would you talk about the prospect of a Rage sequel this soon after the best id game in over a decade

Well it's very likely just talk, I think id software would be working on a Doom sequel/expansion looooong before Rage 2 ever happens, no matter how much I want it :p

The Evil Within is one of the worst things I played to completion on the PS4. And, I can't remember a damn thing about Rage.

Yikes if that's what they're going to milk.

Coming off of Wolfenstein and DOOM and bringing up Rage and The Evil Within is like being at a family party and talking about your son who just graduated college with top marks and then awkwardly bringing up your other son who just turned 36 and got his first job at Pizza Hut.

Courage

Hell yes to both. Evil Within sequel I have full faith in and as for Rage they just need to tighten it up design-wise by trimming a lot of the dull fat the first game had. It has a very solid foundation for Mad Max-esque world with discrete areas to build on the first game's impressive encounters mainly via the AI and gunplay.

sphinx

the piano man
for me personally, the most heartbreaking fake rumor leading up to E3 was easily Evil Within 2

please make it happen.

Lime

I think Nirolak posted that they were hiring multiplayer people at Tango, so we may expect a multiplayer component in some form or another in the next one (if it doesn't get cancelled)

Daemul

"Rage did well enough to warrant an ending."

Hahaha. I would love to see an evil within sequel, and to get the ending to Rage.

Rage has the single worst ending out of any game last gen, if not all time, no other games ending has annoyed me as much as it did, the game literally just ends and you're left wondering at what the fuck just happened.

The only good thing about it was that it prepared me for the other contentious video game endings that would come the following year in 2012, they actually seemed quite decent in comparison and I was ok with what we got in Mass Effect 3 for example. Things could easily have been much more worse guys lol

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
...But Pete Hines says it's too soon to think about it.

Did The Evil Within sell well enough to warrant a sequel?

Pete Hines: Without hesitation) Yes!

What about Rage?

Pete Hines: I think so.

So are they in the pipeline then?

Pete Hines: I can’t talk about the unannounced stuff and what we may or may not do. I get myself in trouble whenever I do that. Even when we were talking about the Morrowind Remaster, if I come out and say, ‘I just don’t think that is going to happen,’ then people freak out. So I won’t confirm or deny stuff we may or may not do, as people jump to the wrong conclusions. But I do think both The Evil Within and Rage did well enough that we could make sequels. Personally I loved Rage and had a ton of fun playing it, but we have a lot of stuff in the pipeline right now so you will have to wait and see.

Source: https://www.finder.com.au/bethesdas-pete-hines-talks-the-evil-within-2-and-rage-2

Tango is confirmed to be working on their next project already, but no confirmation if its TEW2 or something else.

This cropped up a couple days ago, but didn't see anyone post about it. Lock me in a prison with poisonous gas and The Keeper if old.

My prediction:

In 2021, Arkane will reveal they're working on a new Rage that has nothing in common with the original and is really just a spiritual successor to Looking Glass' Terra Nova.

KORNdoggy

i can't imagine a sequel to RAGE in particular doing very well with the hindsight of how the first one turned out. i realize sequels can turn things around, but i'd say the damage to that IP is done.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thanks for combining this, search queues didn't make anything pop up despite searching neogaf and google recent results.

Totally working on Evil Within 2.

BizzyBum

Was Rage actually good? I recall a lot of hype backlash happening at the time.

I enjoyed it a lot. Worst ending in history, though. The entire last portion of the game was ass. Clearly id ran out of time or just said fuck it and released it. Only racing multiplayer was disappointing.

Gameplay was great (dat shotgun) and it looked incredible. I can't imagine how good a Rage 2 would look now.

salromano

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that, I googled it thinking I missed an announcement

I didn't :-(

Absolutely agree with both of these. Aside from its ending, I really enjoyed Rage and would love to see a follow-up.

Also when were they talking about a Morrowind remaster?

He means the Skyrim remaster

At least holy shit if he didnt though

M-Morrowind remaster??

If you click through to the article, that part of the comment is linked: https://www.finder.com.au/the-elder-scrolls-vi-is-next-rather-than-oblivion-hd-or-morrowind-hd

Finder said:
Finder: If Skyrim HD proves to be success, how much more likely will that make it for you guys to greenlight HD remakes of Oblivion and maybe Morrowind, or are they just too old now?

Hines: I think a lot of my answer has to do with their age. An Oblivion remaster is an interesting idea, but it is ten-year-old game. And Morrowind is 14. The leap we had to make and the work we had to do with getting Skyrim remade was much more obtainable and a much clearer path. With Oblivion, you are talking about several engines ago. So it gamers were like, “why didn’t you do Oblivion HD instead of Skyrim HD,” it wasn’t like those two processes were exactly the same. Oblivion HD would be a significantly larger undertaking to get to work and Morrowind… geez… that’s even worse. So the question becomes, "should we work on a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster, or should we work on Elder Scrolls VI." Because that is the volume of work we are talking about. So we try not to spend too much time on remasters: the only other one I think we have done is Dishonored, which was a new IP that came out in the last year of a generation. So it was not a hard path to walk to bring that over to current-gen. For everything else, we have to ask "do we want to take time and resources, and spend money, on something that is already out to bring it to a new platform, or do we want to forge ahead with new stuff?" And in most cases, the answer is that we want to forge ahead with new stuff.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Rage was a big time underrated game, although it was a game that id clearly stopped working on by the time they shipped it.

Mupod

TEW2 without the first game's engine jank, more of the stuff like the mansion chapter and less of the stuff at the end...probably would become my most anticipated game pretty quickly.

Authority machine gun one of the best assault rifles in gaming together with Killzones 2 M82. Rage had a cool art direction and great gunplay so I say hellyeah to a sequel. The story, especially the ending was bad, driving was alright but if you would take it out it would make for a better game.

Or now when I think about it. If you mix Mad Max the game 2015, Rage and a decent story, sins that was lacking for both games it could make for a interesting game.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I can already see RAGE 2, The Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein 2 running in id Tech 6, in 2017.
It will be glorious.

Top Bottom