• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
That wasn't his ending though;
he got out of the situation and expressed what was clear joy

And hell, things arguably ended well for
Walt too; he died at peace with what he accomplished

Holy shit, you have a very skewed sense of a happy ending.

Jesse might have been expressing "joy" when he escaped, but that's exactly the reason. He escaped. He's not got much to be happy about beyond that. His two last girlfriends are dead, he has no hope of reconciling with his parents after completely fucking them over, and he's probably going to start life over under a new alias, as Saul did. Even if the cops don't know about him, he doesn't know that for sure, and would be a fool to assume that's the case. However he previously backed out after the "Disappearer" came to pick him up last time, and Saul specifically said there were no second chances with him. Jesse would need to flee and start over on his own, which is significantly harder, and he may be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life.

As for Walt, he got revenge, and managed to arrange for Elliot and Gretchen to leave Walt Jr. some of his money, but that's it. That's far from a happy ending, as he traumatised his family, got his brother-in-law killed, forced Skyler and Walter Jr. to move into a shitty home and Skyler to take a shitty job. The money he left Walter Jr. was a fraction of what the Nazis stole from him; the rest was lost. And of course, he ended up dying himself.

Walt and Jesse got closure, but they didn't get happy endings.

El Daniel

giphy.gif

Should be in Civil War OT.

Finalow

-
After all we've seen Mike do and his smart approach and covering all his bases, it's damn inconsistent and glaring piece of writing for him to leave the driver tied in the open.

Mike's a person, not a T-800. He's going to make mistakes.
^ pretty much. was leaving the guy like that a mistake? In hindsight, yeah, probably.
it's not ''the writing is inconsistent'' just because he didn't make the smartest move or because his plan didn't work though. you do see how clever and knowledgeable he can be but that doesn't mean he's not allowed to make mistakes.
ultimately he just wanted to take their money without killing the guy

^ pretty much. was leaving the guy like that a mistake? In hindsight, yeah, probably.
it's not ''the writing is inconsistent'' just because he didn't make the smartest move or because his plan didn't work though. you do see how clever and knowledgeable he can be but that doesn't mean he's not allowed to make mistakes.
ultimately he just wanted to take their money without killing the guy

Involving the police may not have been the essence of Mike's plan (I am apprehensive why he would ask Nacho this if it was).

In any case, nobody likes a Gary Stu.

Holy shit, you have a very skewed sense of a happy ending.

"All things considered." Context is important.
Of course it's skewed given the universe we're discussing; considering plenty of other characters ended up dead, I'd say escaping from the worst moment of your life is a comparatively happy ending given the alternatives--and more importantly, from a narrative perspective, left it open for him to turn his life around. His final moment is basically the best he could have gotten given the circumstances, hence "all things considered."

I would also argue Walt got more far than closure; he got exactly what he wanted.

Besides
not being dead,
I'd say he was the biggest victim.

I'm talking exclusively about the ending scenes; not whatever happened prior to them

Surfinn

My guess is that Chuck will regress. He'd been getting out and battling his problem but now he'll be back to square one, perhaps even worse.

Seems like a step back for his character development though. I think we'll get something new.

Maybe he's totally over it when he wakes up.

Massive speculation on finale and onward:

I don't think Chuck's life or long-term health is threatened, but I think the incident will cause Jimmy to walk into the copy shop, take his brother to the hospital, and get Jimmy to agree to drop his given name to make amends with his brother, and to then start up his practice as Saul with the new commercial cementing the point of no return. In the case of Mike, after learning about what happened to the good Samaritan who was killed off, I think he's going to go nuclear on Hector and get the DEA on his tail and that may then allow for Gus' existing restaurant operation to take over for their trafficking arrangement which uses the ice cream truck. If I'm right, we can look probably forward to Mike's plotlines now involving Gus and Victor, probably Kuby and Francesca, too, throughout the rest of the show's run until they start crossing into concurrency with the BB timeline and, of course, afterward in Omaha with a possible reuniting of older Jimmy/Gene and a Kansas/Nebraska Kim.

Starfield

My thoughts on the Finale:

Chuck will survive but he will be changed.

Jimmy won't turn into Saul as of yet.

We gonna see the full 60 second commercial as the Episode intro.

Mike will have his "no more half measures" moment.

Kim will break up with Jimmy.

Saty

It wasn't Mike's aim to get the cops to investigate the Cartel. He just expected the incident to appear in the paper, and when it didn't, he asked Nacho if the cops asked it not be reported. He was adamant because he feared the alternative (which is exactly what happened); an innocent bystander got caught up in the events before the cops did, and the cartel killed them.

For Mike, the best result would have been somebody to discover the driver hogtied in the desert, and call the cops. Not so the cops would then start investigating the cartel, but so nobody else would have got caught up in things.
If Mike feared this outcome then he should have strove to minimize it occurring, not increase the chances of it happening by leaving the driver out in the open as a beacon for passers-by.

Mike's a person, not a T-800. He's going to make mistakes. Maybe he assumed trapping the guy in a hot truck would've been a death sentence.
My point is that the caliber of this mistake goes against everything we know about Mike from this show and thus i just don't buy it. It's as an inconsistent writing of him as it would have been if Chuck genuinely mixed-up the address. You would say 'no way' to that and to me it's the same with Mike leaving the driver in the open.

Perhaps Mike should have just made an anonymous call to the cops. Seems smarter than leaving it to chance.

Seems like a step back for his character development though. I think we'll get something new.

Maybe he's totally over it when he wakes up.

Yeah, you're probably right that there'll be more to it than that. I can't see anything positive coming out of it though.

Kalor

I finally got round to watching this weeks episode and the ending hit me in a way that this or Breaking Bad hasn't done. The last few episodes have been great so I'm really looking forward to next week. I didn't realize until today that next week is the last episode so I'm curious where they leave it.

My thoughts on the Finale:

Chuck will survive but he will be changed.

Jimmy won't turn into Saul as of yet.

We gonna see the full 60 second commercial as the Episode intro.

Mike will have his "no more half measures" moment.

Kim will break up with Jimmy.

There are only two kinds of heists.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Watched the episode again. Rhea Seehorn is so good. Show just has such wonderful casting.

Permanently A

Damn Kim dropping those truth bombs but at the same time realizing Jimmy did it was excellent. I don't even have the words to describe the emotions I felt when I realized she stood up for him and spoke truths, but did it DESPITE knowing Chuck was right. Fucking... just brilliant.

Bigfoot

I find the parallels between Skylar and Chuck interesting, and also the fact that lots of people hate Chuck too.

Also lots of Skylar haters seem to love Kim. Misogyny my ass! The truth is that Skylar was just a bad character.

I still hope Chuck is alive though. My guess is Saul calls 911 and has to explain why he was there.

Nah, earnie will call 911 and/or jimmy and they'll go to the hospital together

I think Chuck will be alright, I'm hoping so too because I like him

JoeNut

Jimmy's gonna have to call 911 and put himself in it. Chuck could be dead i reckon.

I don't know why but i love that chucks assistant ( i cant remember his name) drives round in a blue Evo, such a badass.

hokahey

I find the parallels between Skylar and Chuck interesting, and also the fact that lots of people hate Chuck too.

Also lots of Skylar haters seem to love Kim. Misogyny my ass! The truth is that Skylar was just a bad character.

I couldn't agree more.

greatgeek

Banned

I still hope Chuck is alive though. My guess is Saul calls 911 and has to explain why he was there.
I agree that she was not hated, generally, because of misogyny. Rather, I think she was despised mostly because of those #TeamWalt to the end people that didn't understand Walt's character and thought Skylar was unfairly breaking his balls.

Veelk

Banned

Saying sexism wasn't an element in the hate campaign of Skyler because you like other women is the fictional gender equivalent of "I have plenty of black friends".

Saying sexism wasn't an element in the hate campaign of Skyler because you like other women is the fictional gender equivalent of "I have plenty of black friends".

I still don't think it was sexism. Walter fans simply hated the idea of him being thwarted, doubted, sabotaged, guilted, or outsmarted. Skylar represented all those things, despite behaving like a normal housewife for the most part. She was a constant reminder that he was deceiving his family and putting them at risk, despite his best intentions, and I think that's what caused the irrational hatred in those who wanted to hero worship him.

UrbanRats

I never understood the hate for Skyler myself, but i'm sure different people didn't like the Skyler character for different reasons.
Some for sexist reasons, some for other motivations (an example posted above).

That's one way to explain the love for Kim without it being a "i have black friends" scheme.

Kuroyume

Banned

I think that's just stupid. That's like someone calling another person an anti-semite for being critical of Israel. You can't just toss that shit around.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think that's just stupid. That's like someone calling another person an anti-semite for being critical of Israel. You can't just toss that shit around.
That's not very convincing since a significant amount of people do hide their antisemitism under the "criticism of Israel" banner, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom