• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Better Call Saul S2 |OT| The Truth Is Just A Point Of View - Mondays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

SickBoy

Huh. I'd never much considered the idea that Gus wasn't gay... I watched BB for the first time in a long stretch on Netflix and I guess the way it seemed to me was that he was such a pragmatic guy that unless there was a deep romantic or familial relationship there that he wouldn't have been so vengeful.

But quite right that the series never actually went into detail on the relationship... and to be honest, I'm not sure it really matters. But it will be interesting to (presumably) get to know him better in this series.

riotous

Banned
I half expect Ernesto to be related to him in some way; potentially his son. (a son Gustav had with a black woman)

Which doesn't mean he also couldn't have had sexual relationships with men.

What was Chuck's involvement with putting Kim in the filing basement? From what I remember, that was Howard's doing and Chuck played it off as 'hazing'.

I know Jimmy blamed Chuck for using her as a pawn to get him to quit, but was there any truth to this? Did the show leave it as ambiguous?

SickBoy

What was Chuck's involvement with putting Kim in the filing basement? From what I remember, that was Howard's doing and Chuck played it off as 'hazing'.

I know Jimmy blamed Chuck for using her as a pawn to get him to quit, but was there any truth to this? Did the show leave it as ambiguous?

IIRC, Jimmy was convinced it was Chuck. Chuck told Kim it was Howard's doing, I guess it depends on whether you believe it's likely that Chuck would lie to her about it. Pretty sure the show never actually *showed* anything to make it clear one way or the other.

(I felt like he was being genuine, for the record)

I half expect Ernesto to be related to him in some way

Eh. Could honestly go either way.

The scene in which Chuck subtly but very forcefully asked Hamlin "So, what are you going to do?".

I have no doubt Chuck did.

tumblr_inline_mrbu9lXqYO1qz4rgp.gif

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Gus was clearly gay. Rewatch the flashback where Hector kills his partner. It's all there.

Everyone I know who was really into the show thought that. Especially because of the whole "Chicken Brothers".

Z70hoax.jpg

I remember thinking that when Hector mocked them for the name he was alluding to the homosexual connotations.

I think this whole Jimmy vs. Chuck dichotomy is much simpler to resolve that some people are making it out to be.

Jimmy:
Doesn't care (much) about the law
Loves his brother despite his many flaws
Is generally a emphatic person who cares about people (which is why he feels like shit after fucking over his brother)

Chuck:
Is all about the law
Holds inmense resentment towards his brother and is ashamed of him
Is all about the law

We know that Jimmy turns into a darker character later on, but right I'm feeling quite comfortable in the Fuck Chuck train as of now.

I find Jimmy to be Chaotic good (with a bit of Chaotic neutral), while Chuck is Lawful evil. Jimmy turning bad is 95% Chuck's fault.

Pakkidis

Haven't watched a single episode this season so I could a marathon run. I love watching an episode and then reading Gaf's reaction to each episode....its like Lost all over again :)

Just finished episode 4 and I love the characters. Season started off slow for me but its turning out to be pretty good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Chuck is on some Death Note levels of scheming.

Finally caught up on all the episodes I've been sitting on. So I got to watch the back half in one nice binge. Kim is the underrated star of the show. I hope she makes it out of this shitstorm unscatched.

Does anyone else feel like the season finales have been a bit abrupt? The S1 and S2 finales were both great, but they don't really feel bigger than the other episodes throughout the season. I appreciate that the show takes its time and doesn't do anything for shock value or fan service. That's an easy trap to fall in to please fans, and they've been spectacular about not doing going for that.

Now the long wait for Season 3.

This show is just the best show on TV whenever it' on. Not a single episode has disappointed me. Chuck is a giant piece of shit. Dude has everything in the world but can't breathe one second without pulling the leg of his brother and throwing him in dirt. Just. Let. It. Go. So much ego issues.

Jimmy doesn't have much respect for the law and treats it as such. However he cares about his dickface brother much more than he deserves.

Bigfoot

Just a random thought I just had:

By
Gus
preventing Mike from killing Hector,
Gus
actually just killed himself (since Hector is the one that kills him).

Mind blown!

I find Jimmy to be Chaotic good (with a bit of Chaotic neutral), while Chuck is Lawful evil. Jimmy turning bad is 95% Chuck's fault.

I don't get where all of this chuck is super evil stuff is coming from. Just because he's at odds with Jimmy doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad guy. No he shouldn't have snubbed his brother with the HHM job like he did,, but Jimmy would also be in jail and without a law degree had Chuck not decided to bail him out all those years ago. Jimmy has also pretty clearly broken the law on several occasions, and while Chuck taking back Mesa Verde was maybe a bit overzealous and not backing up Kim over the D&M ad screwup (which was STILL ultimately Jimmy's fault anyway) was a bit disloyal, he has never once done anything illegal or nefarious. Even the taped convo at the end, while subtly manipulative, is at least understandable. Jimmy gave no fucks about committing a felony to put a sizable dent in Chuck's professional reputation. To call Jimmy turning bad 95% Chuck's fault is to ignore the fantastic plotting and characterization that has made every role on this show so wonderfully complex and real, Chuck in particular. Jimmy still has a great portion of the blame for where his life has gone squarely on his own shoulders.

Go_Ly_Dow

For anyone who hasn't been able to fill the missing void since the season finished, I have a strong recommendation for you.

Twin Peaks

Just do it.

We are moving some of the larger, offseason tv threads, including this one, over to the Community forum. When the new season starts up, we can post a new thread in the OT. Please use subscriptions to stay up to date and involved in the meantime. If you have any questions or comments, send me a PM.

bluethree

Watched the 1st 2 seasons over Netflix and wow, what a great show. I'm not sure yet if I like it better than BB, but it's definitely a lot of the good parts of that show in a more slower paced, character driven form. It's amazing how they managed to turn a comic-relief type character into someone who has a lot more depth, nuance, and even likability than he had in the original series. Can't wait for season 3 now!

- Deadline talking BCS with Odenkirk and Banks for their awards preview series
At a PaleyFest event in February, Gilligan and Gould stressed repeatedly that they don’t have as much of a grand plan for the show as fans and critics would like to believe. They’d expected that Jimmy might have adopted the Saul Goodman moniker by the end of Season 1, but the writing hasn’t led them there to date. Their process, instead, has been to find the story in the telling of it, and it’s only in the hopeful minds of fans that it might one day wrap up with Saul Goodman shaking hands with Walter White. This was the same approach taken for Breaking Bad too, so why break with a winning formula?

“People have an immense amount of patience for well-crafted storytelling and they don’t really need those bells and whistles,” continues Odenkirk. “What you get in Saul is the very high standard [Vince and Peter] set themselves, and we all get to trust that we’re going somewhere.”

Banks thinks that if Better Call Saul does no more than tap the rich backstory of these characters, it’ll have heightened the experience of Breaking Bad no matter where it ends up. “There’s a lot to be seen. You’ve never seen Mike be treated gently, for example, and I have a feeling it’s one of those things where the weakness in the beast is when somebody shows tenderness. But I like the mystery of Mike. He was separate in Breaking Bad and he’s separate in Better Call Saul. He lives out there…somewhere else.”

Still, if the Mike we meet in Saul isn’t too far removed from the one we meet in Bad, it’s in Odenkirk’s fragile, naïve Jimmy McGill that we find a real distance still to travel. Not to mention an extreme difference in tone from the high-stakes crime of Breaking Bad to a quieter, more pensive drama that has dealt with topics as thrilling as elder law and Cocobolo desks. More than once, Banks heaps praise on his co-star for making Jimmy compelling enough to sell that shift. “Taking this show was a huge risk for all of us, but I’ll never stop blowing smoke for Bobby, because he came in, did page after page after page of monologue, and he deserves to give himself credit for pulling it off.”

Odenkirk screws his face up, but Banks persists. “No, you do. I know you’re self-critical, but you gotta give yourself so much credit for what you did with this character.”

“Yeah, but I had nothing at stake, Jon,” Odenkirk counters. “I had no status in this world as a dramatic actor that I could lose. I was a comedy and sketch writer, and that was who I was, and I was lucky enough not to have been famous enough as a comic actor that I had anything to work against.”

Banks rolls his eyes. “Bobby will yammer and yammer, as he always does, but this is what it f–king came down to: he did it.”

“Two years from now, then I will brag.”

“Well I’m gonna brag on you now, because you deserve it.”
More via the link.

Deku Tree

Slow burn is so slow it's getting boring. Hopefully Saul shows up next season with
Gus
and that makes things more interesting.

Jonm1010

Banned
Chuck is a ratfuck piece of shit.

How do people defend this guy?

Jimmy isnt much better but Chuck is a deeper kind of ratfucking piece of shit. Even if he has the legal high ground, he deliberately tries to sabotage others that aren't at fault to achieve his aims. He plays on his brothers sympathy and his dominant role in their family relationship. He is essentially an abusive older brother, with minimal compassion and debilitating issues of pride, jealousy and anger that is causing his own detriment and problems through his treatment and responses to his brother. Creating a vicious cycle he is heavily culpable in. He is a different type of monster then we have seen in this universe but a monster nonetheless.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chuck is Stannis. An uncharismatic rube and a stickler for rules. He's not wrong, but you just can't like the guy.

(Binged it. Love it.)

I think my favorite scene/s in the whole show is the cigarette sharing in the parking basement of HHM.

- Better Call Saul Episode 208 “Fifi” Visual Effects Breakdown
This visual effects shot for Better Call Saul Episode 208 “Fifi” was inspired by the celebrated opening oner from Touch of Evil.

The running time of this seamless extended “single take” is 4 minutes 22 seconds [6,300 frames] and required 1,308 compositing layers for techniques including 3D digital elements and animation, matte paintings, and extensive rotoscope.

Surfinn

Goddamn it feels like it's been like 2 years since this show was on TV. Isn't this an unusually long break between seasons?

Great show, hope it retains the same level of quality and keeps getting better.

NYR

Wait, the next season doesn't start in february? I thought that was a given.

No chance. They would be promoting it by now. Humans comes back on Feb 13 and has been advertised since early December. Each of the last seasons has started in Feb but there is no chance they are going to air the show in 4 weeks with almost no promos.

I assume they will line it up to the end of Walking Dead so they can also get some ads during that show. They would be dumb not to capitalize on that audience to air ads advising of a air date. This allows them to take Saul from April to June and the premiere of Fear The Walking Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom