• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Metroid or Donkey Kong, what do you think Retro would work on for Switch?

tumblr_inline_neq82t9V7P1s2c7j8.jpg

Now, before you blurt out "NEW IP" or "STARTROPICS REVIVAL", I'd suggest reading what I have to say here.

A little while back, Emily Rogers, who has gained everyone's trust thanks to the Switch rumors being true, claimed that Retro Studios wasn't working on either Metroid or Donkey Kong Country, and would instead work on a different or all new IP altogether. A lot of people got excited...until a NeoGAF user by the name of Chris FOM appeared and had these to say:

I know a few people at Retro. They a, don't talk about what they're working on, ever, and b, all say that Emily Rogers has no idea what she's talking about.

I don't give names out of respect for my friend, but I can confirm it easily enough. There's a Retro employee here on GAF. If he's agreeable I can PM him my name, my friend's name, and he can talk to them at work and confirm that I'm not making this up. That said, I don't have any actual insider info. She takes her job incredibly seriously and has never given me even a hint of their current projects, although she likes to hear my speculation. What she has told me, quite directly, is that everything Dmoly Rogers has ever said about Retro is categorically wrong and that Emily clearly doesn't know anyone in the studio.

To put the final nail in the coffin, Emily Rogers herself just recently said the rumor isn't exactly trust worthy, saying it came from a second hand source.

The biggest take away from Chris FOM's "they all say that Emily Rogers has no idea what she's talking about" comment for me is that, contrary to Emily's second hand source, Retro is indeed working on either DKC or Metroid Prime. If these are indeed our two options, which one do you think Retro would decide to work on?

I myself could see it going both ways, really. Some people would question the idea of a third Retro DKC game after how Tropical Freeze didn't exactly light the charts on the fire, but it should be noted that Retro started working on their next project when TF was finished back in late 2013. It's possible DK could of still been on their minds at that point. I think its possible they could feel obligated to make a third and final DKC game to wrap things up as a trilogy, like what they did with Metroid Prime.

Speaking of which, some people would question the idea of a new big budget Metroid Prime game due to how probably expensive and resource intensive it would be, especially since Metroid isn't exactly an AAA seller. But, that being said, I could see a Metroid Prime 4 happening on the account of Nintendo generally wanting a big meaty hardcore title to gain some goodwill back from Metroid fans and 'core' gamers. Nintendo kinda does this a lot, actually. Over the years, they've funded a lot of "vanity projects" that they most likely know aren't going to sell well, like Bayonetta 2, Sin & Punishment Star Successor or The Wonderful 101, most likely just as a way to throw some bones at the hardcore gaming crowd. Funny thing is, Metroid IS basically a AAA seller in comparison to those games lol (The only games in the series that didn't break one million were Zero Mission, Other M and Federation Force)

One thing to note is that after DKCR, Nintendo gave Retro a choice: keep working on Donkey Kong Country or return to Metroid Prime. They said it was a "hard choice" but they ended up choosing DK, of course. Retro also stated that it was possible for them to come back to Metroid one day. So it's probably still on their minds.

KingBroly

Banned
If it were my choice, I'd want them to work on a Metroid game

But since it's Nintendo's choice, it'd probably be Donkey Kong

Neoxon

If Emily Rog.....oh, okay then.

In that case, I honestly don't know. If it's between the two, I'd choose Metroid. But I wouldn't mind Retro finishing the DKCR Trilogy with the return of King K. Rool.

Aldric

2D Metroid. They've made one of the finest sidescrolling platformers with Tropical Freeze, let's see what they can do with a classic Metroidvania.

Sponge

Banned
I would love if Retro tried to make a 3D Donkey Kong game. It's been long overdue and someone needs to show us there are better ways to do it than DK64 did.

Jawmuncher

If I have to pick one of them and not "New IP". I would say Metroid. Donkey Kong had two games back to back from Retro so let them have a break from him. Especially if it would be another 2D platformer.

EVH

Playing Metroid Prime in Dolphin right now and it's a blast. There is so much detail that you can miss, like for example enemies dying in a different way depending the beam you shoot or just the amount of lore building thanks to the scan visor explaining evolution of flora or logic behind the defenses of certain fauna. The series needs a HD sequel. The original trilogy looks amazing in Dolphin so I cannot wait to see what Retro could do in Switch.

Donkey Kong games were fantastic, but we got a 2D platformer overdose in Wii U and grow a bit tired of the genre.

Haganeren

Metroid Prime 3 really didn't felt anything special to me with the second after the phenomenal first one... I personally would't care much for a Metroid Prime 4...

I would love a new Donkey Kong with new mechanics after Tropical Freeze but what i would love the most is a 2D Metroid from them.... In 2.5 D, that would be awesome !

ScribbleD

I wouldn't complain about another Donkey Kong Country. The only form a new Metroid could take that would make me care is 2D. A new IP or a different one would be great, too.

It's not Metroid.
I'm glad you said this. I've been saying I had a feeling Retro isn't doing Metroid. I believe Emily when she said they're not doing Metroid.

I hope the leak of a surprise you were talking about in the other topic isn't Retros game.

I want another DKC from them. Tropical Freeze was brilliant and I'm not ready for them to stop just after showing me what they can really do with that genre.

KAL2006

Banned
As there is already a 3D Mario releasing soon I'd rule out 3D Donkey Kong. I'd also rule out another 2D Donkey Kong especially with all the recent 2D Platformer Nintendo had with Mario Maker and Poochy and Yoshi's Wooly World being the most recent.

So I'm expecting a 2.5D Metroid with a few 3D sections in it. Not like Other M though but more in the spirit of the classics like Super Metroid.

2D Metroid since everyone who worked on 3D Metroid probably left the studio by now.

"everyone"?

As far as I know, the only people that left were Mark Pacini and some artists. People act like it was such a devastating blow to Retro and now they can't make a new Metroid Prime or whatever, but I think that's kinda stupid.

Pacini admitted in an interview that Metroid Prime was essentially a game that came from the east and the west. He literally admitted that if it weren't for Nintendo's guidance, the game wouldn't of turned out nearly as good. It goes to show, just look at the games he was involved with over at Armature, such as Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate or ReCore. I don't really think they need him or those other guys that left Retro to make a new Metroid Prime.

LiamR

I'm glad you said this. I've been saying I had a feeling Retro isn't doing Metroid. I believe Emily when she said they're not doing Metroid.

I hope the leak of a surprise you were talking about in the other topic isn't Retros game.

No, it's not. Everyone has tried to find out what Retro is doing and there's been almost no progress, but I feel pretty confident that they're not doing Metroid.

Regiruler

Metroid Prime. However they'd probably need some extra hands given the exodus.

We've had two donkey kong games in a row.

Tropical Freeze was one of my favorite Wii-U games, but I can't say I'm hungry for another one just yet. I would love to see Retro's take on a 2.5D Metroid. Tropical Freeze had a level named "Shoal Atoll" that functioned as a maze of sorts and really made me think of Metroid. Here's the IGN guide to help refresh your memory!

http://www.ign.com/wikis/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze/4-B_Shoal_Atoll

That Samus' ship is hidden in one of the early levels. Come on 2.5D Metroid!

I don't know how accurate your premise is. Retro employees saying that Emily doesn't have accurate info about Retro doesn't mean what she reported is necessarily wrong. I'd honestly say it's likely a correct guess- saying they aren't working on A or B is more likely to be right than saying they must be working on either A or B.

But to answer your question I'll say Metroid for sure. It's been too long since a proper installment.

And just because you brought it up, STARTROPICS PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

I don't know how accurate your premise is. Retro employees saying that Emily doesn't have accurate info about Retro doesn't mean what she reported is necessarily wrong. I'd honestly say it's likely a correct guess- saying they aren't working on A or B is more likely to be right than saying they must be working on either A or B.

Well, Chris FOM's friends at Retro said that literally everything Emily has said about Retro is inaccurate, so....

No, it's not. Everyone has tried to find out what Retro is doing and there's been almost no progress, but I feel pretty confident that they're not doing Metroid.

Oh ok. That's cool.

I'm not going to lie it blows my mind how Laura or any of these other leakers know the games NCL are making, but somehow Retro is kept under such a tight lockdown. It feels like Japan would be under more lockdown and nobody would know what they're doing.

I need metroid prime 4. It's been nearly a decade since 3.

Oh ok. That's cool.

I'm not going to lie it blows my mind how Laura or any of these other leakers know the games NCL are making, but somehow Retro is kept under such a tight lockdown. It feels like Japan would be under more lockdown and nobody would know what they're doing.

I wonder if the potential punishment in Japan is less than in Texas where retro is based. I'm not an expert on NA or JP worker rights but if they have stronger rights over there, they might be more tempted to let something slip.

Well, Chris FOM's friends at Retro said that literally everything Emily has said about Retro is inaccurate, so....

The way I read it is that the Retro employee is saying that Emily does not have any sources close to Retro and whoever is giving her information is not giving her accurate info.

That doesn't necessarily mean that her report of "not Metroid or Donkey Kong" is wrong, as it could just be a correct guess. I doubt someone at Retro would actually say "her report about us not working on Metroid or Donkey Kong is wrong, meaning we are working on either Metroid or Donkey Kong"

It's more likely a statement that her Retro-related info isn't coming from Retro, so it's not being presented accurately.

Jawmuncher

The way I read it is that the Retro employee is saying that Emily does not have any sources close to Retro and whoever is giving her information is not giving her accurate info.

That doesn't necessarily mean that her report of "not Metroid or Donkey Kong" is wrong, as it could just be a correct guess. I doubt someone at Retro would actually say "her report about us not working on Metroid or Donkey Kong is wrong, meaning we are working on either Metroid or Donkey Kong"

It's more likely a statement that her Retro-related info isn't coming from Retro, so it's not being presented accurately.

That's how I took the information as well.

Pretty sure the next Metroid is going to be a 2D game. Two E3s ago(?), Miyamoto told Kotaku they had plans for both Metroid Prime and 2D Metroid. We got Federation Force lol. Now we're just waiting on the 2D game

A Donkey Kong Metroidvania to really rustle those jimmies.

Seriously though while I'd happily take either my allegiance to the Dong Expansion initiative takes precedence and preferbaly taking things 3D.

Plus we did just get a Metroid game the other month! /parody of actual logic I saw regarding DKCR 3D

Dad

I'd take either of the two, but I'd prefer to see them round out their own DKC trilogy rather than work on another Prime game. Plus it would give us a chance at another glorious David Wise soundtrack

Pretty sure the next Metroid is going to be a 2D game. Two E3s ago(?), Miyamoto told Kotaku they had plans for both Metroid Prime and 2D Metroid. We got Federation Force lol. Now we're just waiting on the 2D game
Yep they did say this.

2D Metroid should be developed by someone right now. Idk who though. I would've liked for it to be one of the indie developers. Maybe the Shovel Knight guys?

Top Bottom