• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond Touch branded a success, Quantic Dream looking into Project Morpheus

...and some words on F2P, mobile gaming and AAA games

Source: http://portablegamingregion.com/new...ccess-quantic-dream-looking-project-morpheus/

Beyond Touch branded a success, Quantic Dream looking into Project Morpheus

During his lecture at Reboot Develop 2014, Quantic Dream’s Guillaume de Fondaumiere declared that the company’s Beyond Touch companion app was a success, explaning that almost one third of all people who bought Beyond: Two Souls for PS3 used its auxiliary mobile software that’s available for iPhone and iPad, as well as Android smartphones and tablets.

Specifically, 400,000 out of 1,5 million of B:TS owners played the game using Beyond Touch at one point or another, which is an impressive number for what many were describing as barely more than a gimmick half a year ago.

Fondaumiere added that he’s a bit disappointed Beyond Touch received so little media coverage, as the said app is an innovation in the AAA industry. On a related note, Quantic Dream’s executive producer sad that he feels his team hasn’t been awarded enough for the risks it took during development of Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain. For that, he blames the gamers, most of whom -for some reason- “want the same game every year”. He tied that thought into his lecture by stating that he doesn’t think “innovation is enough for being successful”.

On an even more interesting note, Fondaumiere revealed that Quantic Dream is indeed looking into Sony’s Project Morpheus, a VR system for PS4 that’s been announced at this year’s Game Developers Conference. Answering to a question from the reporter who asked what are his thoughts on “Sony’s VR gadget”, he said that he isn’t too fond of that word, as “when a device comes out and becomes a gadget, it doesn’t work”. He then explained that Sony needs to find a way to prevent Project Morpheus from becoming a gadget, and that Quantic Dream will certainly utilize its technology if they find a “non-gadgety way” to do so.

As for VR in general, one of the key people responsible for Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls said that the technology has potential, but for it to be truly successful in the gaming industry, the price of VR systems will have to be “well bellow one hundred dollars”. Of course, we’re far away from that price point, and Fondaumiere is well aware of that fact.

Quantic Dream on pressure to develop F2P games, mobile gaming, and more

Are AAA console games a thing of the past? This was the question asked by Guillaume de Fondaumiere, co-CEO and executive producer of Quantic Dream, renowned video game developer known for its work on Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. Speaking to a room full of developers and grumpy press at Reboot Develop 2014 that’s taking place this weekend in Zagreb, Croatia, Fondaumiere said that although video games are the most important form of entertainment that generates the most revenue in the world today, a bunch of companies are currently in a lot of trouble and only a small fraction is actually making any money.

Fondaumiere reiterated the well-known fact that barely one fifth of all developed titles in the industry are actually released, and just 5% of those that get to the market turn out to be profitable. He added that while the free-to-play business model seems to be “the new Nirvana” right now, looking at the list of freemium games that are making money, it’s easy to see that things aren’t nearly as peachy as they might first seem in the F2P camp. Specifically, only around one to two percent of creations supported solely throgh in-game purchases are profitable. Also, despite the fact that many developers think designing a free-to-play title means designing a title for tens of millions of people, Fondaumiere stressed out that it actually means designing a piece of interactive entertainment for the so-called “whales”, or 0,15% of gamers which amount to 50% of F2P revenue. Knowing that 49% of people who actually decide to spend money on these kinds of games only make a single purchase is also not exactly encouraging to developers.

“I remember when I was starting out,” says Fondaumiere: “15 years ago, you could make a living by having one of the top 100 of most [financially] successful games. Today, you won’t survive if you aren’t in the top 15.” Why is that so today, when more and more people are playing video games and the industry is turning billions every year? According to Quantic Dream’s executive producer, it’s the gamers’ fault. Despite their number is rapidly growing, most of them apparently “want the same game every year”, which leads to a couple of established IPs like Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and FIFA dominating the best-selling charts and taking most of the cake with them, leaving the rest to fight for crumbs.

As for free-to-play, it made Chinese mobile game companies like Tencent Games the big players today, and Fondaumiere admits that his company’s shareholders are definitely pressuring them into developing such titles. Naturally, he wonders how’s that supposed to work with the games they’re making, and has presented the following example to demonstrate the absurdity of such demands:

“Do you want to open that door? Pay 10 cents. Want to kiss a girl? Pay 20 cents.”

Despite that, it was unequivocally stated that Quantic Dream is indeed looking at all market segments with “open eyes”, but simply because they have to, just like any other serious video game developer, and not because they’re planning on developing free-to-play mobile games in the near future. For now though, they’re sticking with consoles. Specifically, Sony consoles. Even more specifically, PS4. Yeah, it doesn’t seem like the company’s looking in the direction of Vita, as Fondaumiere even slightly poked Sony’s latest portable gaming consoles by presenting Nintendo 3DS as synonymous with handheld gaming, which was followed by a short laugh of most of the room. But yeah, QD’s executive producer said they’re going to continue to develop for consoles “because it’s a profitable business for both us and our publisher”. He ended his presentation on a bright note, concluding that with a right combination of business model and gameplay mechanics targeted at core gamers, i.e. the type of consumers which actually buy consoles, a studio can still survive developing AAA titles for home consoles.

Source: http://portablegamingregion.com/news/quantic-dream-pressure-develop-f2p-games-mobile-gaming/

jayu26

Quantic Dream’s executive producer sad that he feels his team hasn’t been awarded enough for the risks it took during development of Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain. For that, he blames the gamers, most of whom -for some reason- “want the same game every year”.

Eh?!

jayu26

See the Dark Souls 2/Project Beast/Call of Duty Advanced Warfare threads

But the counter to that whole argument is The Last of Us. He thinks they were not rewarded enough for taking risks. That is not how it works. You get rewarded to for making good games (I'm not saying their games are not good), not for taking risks.

GavinUK86

I played through B:TS once with the DS3 then replayed it with my iPad and, I have to agree, it was pretty fun to use. It worked flawlessly. I would love to see how comfortable it feels using a small smartphone instead of a big tablet. Other adventure games on console should try to use this interface.

kubus

That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing OP.

I loved Beyond but I actually haven't tried the app. If (when) they ever do re-release the game on PS4 I think I'll check it out.

This guy from QD sounds really down-to-earth and what he said makes a lot of sense. Glad to hear QD is still doing what they do best: whatever they want. Although sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who enjoys their games.

As for the app I played it through a second time with one of my mates. Only one DS3 controller, so I used my smartphone. Surprisingly it worked really well. It's not perfect, but does the job.

But the counter to that whole argument is The Last of Us. He thinks they were not rewarded enough for taking risks. That is not how it works. You get rewarded to for making good games (I'm not saying their games are not good), not for taking risks.
Well that's what he says in the next sentence, innovation (=risk) is not enough to succeed. The Last of Us, while a great game, is rather an anomaly as it was developed by a big and hyped developer backed by a huge marketing budget. Not every great and innovate game saw success. It doesn't happen very often actually. Besides the point, The Last of Us was still very safe in its design.

I guess that's why he said “innovation is (not) enough for being successful”.

jayu26

Well that's what he says in the next sentence, innovation (=risk) is not enough to succeed. The Last of Us, while a great game, is rather an anomaly as it was developed by a big and hyped developer backed by a huge marketing budget. Not every great and innovate game saw success. It doesn't happen very often actually. Besides the point, The Last of Us was still very safe in its design.
Yeah, I guess...
I guess that's why he said “innovation is (not) enough for being successful”.
This should not be a revelation to a major studio.

Yep, what he said. The Last of Us, in my opinion, was not particularly innovative. The real risk would have been to drop the (third person) shooting, the standard, repetitive puzzles (e.g. moving Ellie around in the water, finding crates or ladders) or the sneaking parts, for none of those add anything to the story and its emotional impact. Same with Bioshock Infinite, which doesn't know what it wants to achieve. The game seems to have a heavy focus on story and characters but it also has a huge shooting/action part which feels like it belongs to a completely different game (but I suppose it helps getting better sales).

Yeah, I guess...

This should not be a revelation to a major studio.
Well, it isn't. This is what you call a presentation where someone that already had this revelation tells other people about it :p

I wonder how many people used it for 2mins only to try it out just like me...
Considering this data most likely comes from trophy statistics, all these people finished at least one scene with the app. If you look at the trophy called "Beat the game all the way using the app" the number is obviously a lot lower. I was still surprised at how high it was though. Seems like quite a few people beat the whole game with it.

Past

I thought it worked really well. I played using it all the way through since I wanted the co-op trophies, but didn't want to use a second controller.

jcm

I had no idea the app existed until right now. It's too bad, because my wife might've enjoyed that.

I had no idea the app existed until right now. It's too bad, because my wife might've enjoyed that.

With Beyond, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, The Division and other projects such as Smartglass, I hope companion apps become a standard thing by the end of the generation. So much potential and the install base is there.

onQ123

You know what to do David!

BeyondTwoSouls_EllenPageShower.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
For that, he blames the gamers, most of whom -for some reason- “want the same game every year”.

Shots fired! I can't blame him though. People get so offensive (not necessarily insulting) about Quantic Dream's games, as if they shouldn't exist in the first place.

I wonder when will people understand that there are some people who like them, play them, and actually love them for their cinematic angle? I actually know someone who played the game on easy because he only wanted the cutscenes, that same person hasn't even been able to finish TLOU on freaking easy because it's too hard for him.

Great to hear that they're considering project Morpheus, would be a great addition to their games, and hope they give back some great feedback.

Salsa

"my game didnt get awarded enough but there's no chance maybe it's not that good so I blame the gamers :("

david gonna cage

Ploid 3.0

Oh daaang Quantic Dream + Morpheus, why haven't I thought about this possibility.

I hope Morpheus doesn't cost a arm and a leg. I want Oculus Rift too.

See the Dark Souls 2/Project Beast/Call of Duty Advanced Warfare threads

But, there was a Demon's Souls that started it and it was damned good that people wanted sequels. Same with Call of Duty, back when it was WWII it was amazing and it spawned a franchise.

This game doesn't deserve a sequel.

Fondaumiere added that he’s a bit disappointed Beyond Touch received so little media coverage, as the said app is an innovation in the AAA industry. On a related note, Quantic Dream’s executive producer sad that he feels his team hasn’t been awarded enough for the risks it took during development of Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain. For that, he blames the gamers, most of whom -for some reason- “want the same game every year”.
Well it could have been worse Fondaumiere.

For example, Shattered Memories came the same year as Heavy Rain and it recieved far less media and cosumer attention. From my point of view Shattered memories did more interesting things with interface and interactive story telling than both Quantic Dream games.

It also probably cost a lot less than Heavy/Beyond, profit margins between Wii/PS2/Vita could have been decent yet we didn't get a sequel.

Well it could have been worse Fondaumiere.

For example, Shattered Memories came the same year as Heavy Rain and it recieved far less media and cosumer attention. From my point of view Shattered memories did more interesting things with interface and interactive story telling than both Quantic Dream games.

Shattered Memories is a good example of a good, innovative game that focuses more on story than combat. I loved the psychological profiling mechanics and it's a shame it hasn't been expanded upon or reused in other productions.

With Beyond, Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, The Division and other projects such as Smartglass, I hope companion apps become a standard thing by the end of the generation. So much potential and the install base is there.

Me too. Using the app in Ground Zeroes for the map/calling helicopters is absolutely fantastic. It just makes more sense than the in-game map. I am all about companion apps when they're done right.

A lot of shots being fired in this one. Most of them pretty fair statements when you weed out obvious hyperbole and try to get the actual point he's trying to get across. Anyways, I would agree with most of what he says, especially about gamers as a whole being responsible for the state of the industry.

The industry hangs on every word that gamers say and will do practically anything we want... as long as we're speaking with our dollars.

"my game didnt get awarded enough but there's no chance maybe it's not that good so I blame the gamers :("

david gonna cage

What?

QD is doing good at managing their brand. They make risky, unconventional big budget AAA games yet it seems to pay off and become successful. Heavy Rain making tons of money, Beyond sell over 1 million in 2 months, getting 1 in 3 fan to download and use the game's smartphone app.

Awesome, it might even hit 2 million which would make it a success financially hopefully? Finance gaf, what says you?
We know the dev budget and at 1.5m sales it already made its development and distribution budget back for sure. If you figure marketing in, it will probably break even at about 2 million sales I can imagine. Beyond should be able to reach that when it is all said and done.

Beyond Touch? Never heard of it. What was this? Some mobile companion game to Beyond:TS?
Alternative control method and co-op functionality.

This game doesn't deserve a sequel.
It doesn't need one either. A simple fact that was decided when the game was greenlight. Quantic Dream doesn't do sequels.

Usually when games prove to be profitable, companies start to imitate them. It's a shame that no one has really tried imitating Quantic Dream because I would like to see what other storytellers would do in the same genre but with a different point of view/personality. Telltale games might come close but they operate on a very different budget, with different mechanics and their works are adaptations, not personal stories so they're not auteurs in my opinion.

Edit: I've wanted to double-check the definition of auteur so I've found this:

A filmmaker, usually a director, who exercises creative control over his or her works and has a strong personal style

I like it, sums up David Cage perfectly.

QD is doing good at managing their brand. They make risky, unconventional big budget AAA games yet it seems to pay off and become successful. Heavy Rain making tons of money, Beyond sell over 1 million in 2 months, getting 1 in 3 fan to download and use the game's smartphone app.

Beyond: Two Souls' budget was $20 million (that's about 8% of GTA V's $260 million budget). It's debatable whether it deserves to be called an AAA/big budget production.

Ploid 3.0

It doesn't need one either. A simple fact that was decided when the game was greenlight. Quantic Dream doesn't do sequels.

Yeah that was a odd post. I wonder if the poster meant QD shouldn't make games anymore. That seem to be the general wish by some people. It's so easy to avoid games too, I want more story driven games, and can't wait for TellTale's Game of Thrones game.

Usually when games prove to be profitable, companies start to imitate them. It's a shame that no one has really tried imitating Quantic Dream because I would like to see what other storytellers would do in the same genre but with a different point of view/personality. Telltale games might come close but they operate on a very different budget, with different mechanics and their works are adaptations, not personal stories so they're not auteurs in my opinion.

Edit: I've wanted to double-check the definition of auteur so I've found this:

I like it, sums up David Cage perfectly.

Beyond: Two Souls' budget was $20 million (that's about 8% of GTA V's $260 million budget). It's debatable whether it deserves to be called an AAA/big budget production.

Actually its budget was 20 million euros, so about 28 million dollars, thats a MORE than big enough budget to consider it AAA. GTA, COD and the few others above 100m dollars aren't the rule in this category, Uncharted 1 and 2 apparently cost 20m dollars to make http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-sequel-costing-usd-20-million

jett

D-Member
Fondaumiere added that he’s a bit disappointed Beyond Touch received so little media coverage, as the said app is an innovation in the AAA industry. On a related note, Quantic Dream’s executive producer sad that he feels his team hasn’t been awarded enough for the risks it took during development of Beyond: Two Souls and Heavy Rain. For that, he blames the gamers, most of whom -for some reason- “want the same game every year”. He tied that thought into his lecture by stating that he doesn’t think “innovation is enough for being successful”.

That is one bitter dude. Protip:: Make better games. Hell, just manage to concoct a merely decent story and maybe you'll get the recognition you want.

Top Bottom