• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond: Two Souls' budget is $27M

Smash

Banned
Problems with shower scenes. Oh my God, what is going on.

Don't you see? It's obviously misogynistic and problematic AGAIN. Cue ANOTHER thread derailment with crazy people smearing a game director like they've done with many others. These are dark times for the forum.

Do you think it's weird that the Uncharted series are considered AAA then? Their budgets were in the $20 million range (or at least Uncharted 1 and 2 were).

The reason why other publishers have such huge budgets isn't because they need all that money, it's because they're hugely inefficient. Rockstar's the absolute worst in that regard.

I think Uncharted 1 may have been around 20 million, but I'm pretty sure that Uncharted 2 and 3 were 40+m

Do you think it's weird that the Uncharted series are considered AAA then? Their budgets were in the $20 million range (or at least Uncharted 1 and 2 were).

The reason why other publishers have such huge budgets isn't because they need all that money, it's because they're hugely inefficient. Rockstar's the absolute worst in that regard.

I think that's maybe a bit broad of an assessment. In Rockstar/2K's case, their budgets balloon to huge amounts because they allow developers like Rockstar or Irrational to take five years to make a game, which would make any budget massive.

Uncharted also has a lot of support from Sony (weren't Naughty Dog essentially given a motion capture lab? Was that factored into Uncharted's budget?) and is only on one console.

But yeah, I don't think there's any denying that development can be woefully inefficient.

Don't you see? It's obviously misogynistic and problematic AGAIN. Cue ANOTHER thread derailment with crazy people smearing a game director like they've done with many others. These are dark times for the forum.

This is far more hysterical than anything I posted.

KoopaTheCasual

People are defending it because a common theme in his game is allowing people to do mundane actions that people do in their every day life. From brushing your teeth to taking a shower. Why exactly is that a problem? It's something optional in there and you aren't forced to do it.
Yes, I get that, and I just want to clarify before anyone jumps at me, I don't think it's 'sexist'. It's a total David Cage thing. It just demonstrates his lack of range as a director, and people are trying compare this with a director's Easter Egg which is ridiculous. It can't even be likened to Tarantino, because at least his weird toe fetish is not rehashed in the same exact scene every movie.

In David Cage's case it's partly fetish, but more so lack of flexibility and range. It's more like how Michael Bay has to have someone in slow motion running from an explosion in every movie. Yes, it works for a specific audience, but it just shows that he's telling people he's not capable of doing anything else well.

Sorry for continuing this very sharp derailing of the thread.

EDIT: Woops! Meant to reply to Xander.

inm8num2

I would have expected something in the range of $35m.

I searched for "Heavy Rain budget" in Google and get results ranging from $21 - $50 million. I'm guessing it was closer to $21 million.

Here's something more your speed.

original.jpg

I think that is a guy who was giving homemade butt injections, iirc

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I think the game is going to be great but for some reason I don't see it selling more than heavy rain. This holiday is pretty crowded.

It comes out in 2 weeks. A couple weeks before everything else that's fall blockbuster. It'll make it's money. And it has advertising behind it just from Willem and Ellen being in it. Heavy Rain sold over 2 Million copies and made over 135 Million dollars from Sony while only costing $22 Million to make(Wikipedia).

I wouldn't bet on this game not making more than Heavy Rain. Quantic Dream has a history behind them now and a game like Heavy Rain hasn't come out since. There's at least $100 Million worth of people that want this game.

Admittedly it's been a while since I played either Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain, but Heavy Rain doesn't really help its case with the creepy home invasion scene. The fact that all three games have had almost the exact same shower/underwear setup really sticks out, too.

Then again, maybe you're right and it's a little more balanced. Maybe we'll get to see Willem's Dafoe in a shower scene!

I thought the home invasion scene was one of the best parts of the game. You wake up, nothing is happening, its all calm and stuff. You do what you want...go check the fridge, watch tv, try a nap, take a shower, etc...just normal stuff in a person's life. All of sudden you are aware of the invaders and the whole scene becomes intense. Masterfully done scene imo with lots of real tension that the player feels. Also, there's nothing inherently sexual about taking a shower, or nudity, or walking in underwear. I personally don't find it creepy because, as others have said, male characters do the same things in his games and the scenes are optional, activated by the player.

Its still a AAA game, but Sony for next gen is going bigger and smaller.

So pretty much only games that cost 1-5 Million, or games that cost 40-50 Million+.

I think you and other people are really exaggerating that other article. Sony isn't going to do strictly big and small games. They said they would do mid-size/tier games, just not many of them...which is how its been this entire gen.

I just watched TGS trailer, man this game has way more action scene than I thought, I think the bitching about it being a non game is going to be worse than Heavy Rain, you can kinda excuse it in Heavy Rain since there's not many action scene, and there are many scene that looks more like point and click adventure game than action game.

but Beyond have quite a few scene of beat em up, stealth infiltration, probably shootout too, I think people are gonna expect to play those segment like the usual action adventure game, with actual stealth mechanic, third person shooter etc and the game is really nothing like that if I understand it right.

Is there any game with higher profile actors than this? Not sure.

Not in roles like this, no. Splinter Cell Blacklist had that guy from 24 in it but he's nowhere near as big.

It'll be really interesting to see if acting in games becomes a bigger thing for screen actors.

Admittedly it's been a while since I played either Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain, but Heavy Rain doesn't really help its case with the creepy home invasion scene. The fact that all three games have had almost the exact same shower/underwear setup really sticks out, too.

Then again, maybe you're right and it's a little more balanced. Maybe we'll get to see Willem's Dafoe in a shower scene!

Maybe it's just a golden apple for him, that he keeps reaching for or trying to make "the best"... like something where a director saw some certain types of scenes as a kid and swore he'd do that same shot someday, and innovate on it somehow or learn how to master it, so it just becomes part of his techniques. 'I did it this way last time, I'll do it this way this time' etc. Something he thinks is just part of making a movie. He probably has lots of those things as part of his eye and his goals, and we just don't notice them.

That David Cage appears to have a thing about women showering. Showers are to David Cage what feet are to Quentin Tarantino or Joss Whedon.

I have nothing against nudity in games, I'm just saying that Cage is now three for three on the exact same scene and it's beginning to feel more like self-serving objectification than a contextually appropriate moment of downtime for the character.

I ain't phased.

ItIsOkBro

Keifer Sutherland for Phantom Pain ? I know he's doing the mocap for that as well as voice.

I dunnnnno, I think Dafoe has him beat.

OT: I looked up Keifer's imdb page to find his roles and apparently 24 is coming back, oh my shit when did this happen.

Serious question: Are the shower scenes optional in Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy?

It's not in Indigo Prophecy, it's a chapter start cutscene.

Trogdor1123

seems a bit high to me at first but after realizing it will only take about 1 million sales it looks a bit better. Heres hoping.

KSai

People take showers everyday, its not like its gratuitous. Also, people walk around in their underwear at home, not really seeing the issue here. Are Americans really so prudish?

Absolutely.

The small budget sounds pretty nice for Beyond Two Souls, but for how long will the credits roll?

All of it.

BRv.gif

A reasonable budget, should be able to cash in some profits rather quickly.

pretty funny that my segment on the game's music has spawned this debate on the appropriateness of shower scenes - the shot was included because one of the songs kind of reminded us of singing in the shower

Good heavens those guys are wizards. Fooled my eye into thinking this was a live action shot from a movie until it looped the 3rd or 4th time and I saw the aliasing on the coffee maker. These guys are going to do some ridiculous shit on the new hardware.

Seems pretty reasonable to me, considering how expensive the game itself looks and the two high-profile actors involved.

The best thing about this part was
Sandpaper Kisses

Absolutely. I just kept wandering around the apartment not doing much of anything so I could listen to the song over and over.

satam55

Banned
It comes out in 2 weeks. A couple weeks before everything else that's fall blockbuster. It'll make it's money. And it has advertising behind it just from Willem and Ellen being in it. Heavy Rain sold over 2 Million copies and made over 135 Million dollars from Sony while only costing $22 Million to make(Wikipedia).

I wouldn't bet on this game not making more than Heavy Rain. Quantic Dream has a history behind them now and a game like Heavy Rain hasn't come out since. There's at least $100 Million worth of people that want this game.

Actually "Heavy Rain" has sold over 3 Million copies.

Sats

Banned
About the shower debate, I'll just say this.

Cage is known for having mundane acts showcased in his games. I consider this one of their charms. People *gasp* shower in real life. They aren't even sexualized. It's just people showering.

Also, I know many girls that wear a tshirt and panties around the house. GAF needs to invite more girls to spend the night <3

Sony should buy QD, make them a part of the family. And then tell QD to make a game on PS4 out of that Kara demo!

btw, has Beyond Two Souls gone gold?

Sony should buy QD, make them a part of the family. And then tell QD to make a game on PS4 out of that Kara demo!

btw, has Beyond Two Souls gone gold?

What would Quantic Dream gain from a purchase? They already have the funding and creative freedom they need, along with a good relationship with their publisher. Also, David Cage isn't interested in working with Microsoft anyway.

So is this considered mid tier? Sony said they would only focus on AAA games and small games.

By small games: 1-5 Million?

By big AAA games: 40 Million and up?

No. ~30m bucks for production alone isn't mid tier, does the game look mid tier to you? :p It costs twice as much to produce as The WItcher 3 http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=586441

I would say AA games are in the single digit millions. Also I don't think any game actually cost over 100M to produce, the big games like COD and GTA spent 4-5x their dev budget on marketing.

Top Bottom