• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4Central Rumor: New Battlefield 4 details from wallpaper leaker [Updated]

Salsa

To be fair, outside of the engine upgrade, Battlefield 3 wasn't exactly the world's most revolutionary Battlefield sequel.

it was different enough, even when it was a bit of a step backwards in some aspects and more streamlined than 2. But yeah no Battlefield sequel was exactly revolutionary

This so far pretty much sounds like what BF3 should have been (except for more close quarter maps) with the Commander feature and all..

also if the "it's more of an evolution" rumor is actually something said by EA/Dice then at least they're being somewhat frank about it.

It's probably gonna be a more worthwile experience for console owners when compared to BF3 than to PC players

graphics-wise im honestly expecting it to look the exact same than BF3. Maybe with some added flair like dynamic weather

RoKKeR

To be fair, outside of the engine upgrade, Battlefield 3 wasn't exactly the world's most revolutionary Battlefield sequel.
And, more to your point, neither has almost any Battlefield sequel. 1942>Nam>2>2142 were all fairly "expansion" like sequels, and while they enhanced the game they never drastically altered the core gameplay. And now the BC>BC2>BF3>BF4 arc feels very similar. It's just how the Battlefield franchise works, honestly. Some like it, some don't.

343 said the exact same thing about Halo 4, it being "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary". It's a common trend for sequels.

Biggzy

it was different enough, even when it was a bit of a step backwards in some aspects and more streamlined than 2.

This so far pretty much sounds like what BF3 should have been (except for more close quarter maps) with the Commander feature and all..

also if the "it's more of an evolution" rumor is actually something said by EA/Dice then at least they're being somewhat frank about it.

It's probably gonna be a more worthwile experience for console owners when compared to BF3 than to PC players

I have BF3 on the 360 so it will be quite a leap for me when I get BF4 for Durango.

Salsa

I have BF3 on the 360 so it will be quite a leap for me when I get BF4 for Durango.

yeah that's kinda what I mean. Hopefully they can pull 60fps/64 players on next-gen consoles. PS360 people are completely missing out on what Battlefield is about.

RoKKeR

I also think this is a big point about BF4 (that may upset people), in that it's bringing the proper Battlefield experience to consoles for the first time in terms of both scale and fidelity. That alone will be enough to sell the game to next gen buyers coming from consoles.

Salsa

I also think this is a big point about BF4 (that may upset people), in that it's bringing the proper Battlefield experience to consoles for the first time in terms of both scale and fidelity. That alone will be enough to sell the game to next gen buyers coming from consoles.

Bad Company did a fairly decent job at bringing and adapting the Battlefield experience to consoles. BF3 did not.

That combined with the "most of the weapons and vehicles from BF3 will return" kind of dropped my interest a bit.

I mean, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear.

Really deflated my interest,
had been hyped since I got the premium version at Christmas.

what weapons and vehicles left to use from the US army though? It is not like the battlefield players can run around with railguns and made up weapons. lol.

sunnz

Same amount of maps as BF3, but more CQB maps...

That is worrying, the point of there being bigger and more detailed maps is kinda good I guess, if ignoring the top two I mentioned.

Lakitu

st5fu
Hopefully there's like a Close Quarters map pack on launch like Back to Karkand. Let us play on big maps with 64 players in the main game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's very possible. Perhaps if not just sold the most, but also they tracked it and it's the most played as well? Finally, maybe they're going to try to break into the dreaded "eSports" segments.
Well they did mention at one point Operation Metro was the most played map.

RoKKeR

We already knew about it thanks to DICE hints.

But for some reason I read "not as BF2" as "worst then BF2"
We all know it'll be dumbed down to hell and back from BF2's version. Can't have overcomplicated systems in your game that sells 20 million copies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

That's why I'm so excited for it. I would even have just rebought BF3 if it came out for PS4 with the player count and fidelity of the PC version. I'm sure PC players will be disappointed but for those of us on consoles it will be an enormous improvement.

That's why I'm so excited for it. I would even have just rebought BF3 if it came out for PS4 with the player count and fidelity of the PC version. I'm sure PC players will be disappointed but for those of us on consoles it will be an enormous improvement.

This. BF4 on PS4 will be glorious.

Lot of people find it fun to play, but some of the popularity can be attributed to the fact that Operation Metro is levelling easymode. You can get 10s of thousands of points/XP from a decent round there.

Lucifon

So far sounding like most of it could have been done with continued support to BF3 :( A little bit underwhelmed. "Evolution not revolution" screams of CoD syndrome. Also more close quarter infantry maps? Because that's what all the Battlefield fans were clambering for...

We all know it'll be dumbed down to hell and back from BF2's version. Can't have overcomplicated systems in your game that sells 20 million copies.

It wasn't really complicated in BF2 either though.

But I can see this being reduced to nothing more then just giving orders.

DTKT

I really want a proper night where everything is dark. Everyone would spawn with NV, but they would be battery timed. You would have to use them in little burst. You could also affix a flashlight and manually switch it on or off.

I'm sure that Frostbite could pull off amazing tracer and light effects.

J-Rzez

I remember that. Was always curious if it was due to that it was the easiest to grind/level up from, if people enjoyed the easier to get kills due to confinement, or if it were to get away from vehicles and go infantry only.

As far as boredom via the same weapons, there's nothing much they can do outside of making a future-based game with their made up weaponry again. That's probably why they're bringing China into this for a change of pace. German vehicles would be nice to have as well for a change. And they all need unique characteristics. They need to get away from the generic hitboxes on vehicles too. This is why I hoped so hard for a WW2 based BF4, as I have PS2 for future stuff, but I'm dying to play a WW2 based game (never thought I'd say that). Of course though the lack of grinding "attachments" is a big issue if you make a game from WW2 these days.

As far as making things "server side", good luck on that one, unfortunately.

Phinor

More of the same isn't going to work for me. There's already too much stuff in BF3 (with Premium). Too many gamemodes (which splits the already diminishing player base), enough maps for years, so much content to unlock I will never see half of it.

At the moment the one reason I could see myself going for BF4 is if BF3 player base disappears (and there's already very little choice with servers as a Finnish player so it is a real problem). Ok, the other reason is price, if there's a killer deal, I might bite. Oh and then there's the hype train but there are tricks to avoiding that one..

But let's see what the actual reveal tells us. BF3 had so much momentum back in 2011 / E3. I've no idea if BF4 is going to top that or fail miserably.

Radec

Imagine fighting over a blistering snow in Russia. Then next game, a rainy combat in China.

Cant wait, day one on PS4.

Dabanton

It's all sounding like the game DICE wanted to make in the first place. I shudder at what the PS3 and Xbox 360 will look like though.

64 players on Durango and PS4 will make all the difference. I pray to the lord though that matches don't just turn into mini deathmatches with no one actually doing objectives.

Also DICE need to think of more interesting modes especially if these maps are going to be much bigger. Conquest can get pretty boring give us multiple objectives to complete or areas to hold or take out. Also more needs to be made of good teams I know the best squad during the match gets some points but I want specific skills offered as well so people playing as an actual team get some advantages over people lone wolfing it.

Hopefully the commander mode will mean that teams can be properly deployed. I have to say that once people could have their own servers actual teamplay on the console version improved immensely.

Hopefully the "Destruction 4.0" rumors floating around are true, that was one of my favorite parts of Bad Company 2 and was my biggest disappointed with BF3.

Odrion

Banned
Same amount of maps, except more will be close quarter maps? I will stick with BF3 until adequate BF4 DLC comes out on sale for cheap.

All of this sounds great. I would love 64 player console Battlefield. I'm not planning to upgrade my PC until next year, so I probably will end up getting a next-gen console version.

The thing I can't wait to hear about the most is definitely the new commander mode. I loved that in BF2, and can't wait to hear about how they changed it for BF4.

Really odd that they'd make more CQC maps especially if Durango/PS4 can support 64 players.

Especially since most of the BF3 launch maps were shit, with Caspian Border and two others actually feeling "Battlefield" but even then, those were small to Armored Kill (which I believe should be the standard, or at least more of it)

I would love B2K and Armored Killed maps being a focus, but I also love the BC2-ish End Game maps and actually do not mind CQC maps as I get that they want that COD market. But I really dont want it to be a dominant theme.

The launch maps hopefully are better than that of BF3's, but if the maps are going to be even smaller, then I'm worried.

Seems like we will be getting both ends of the extreme, the question is how much of which?

Really odd that they'd make more CQC maps especially if Durango/PS4 can support 64 players.

Especially since most of the BF3 launch maps were shit, with Caspian Border and two others actually feeling "Battlefield" but even then, those were small to Armored Kill (which I believe should be the standard, or at least more of it)

I would love B2K and Armored Killed maps being a focus, but I also love the BC2-ish End Game maps and actually do not mind CQC maps as I get that they want that COD market. But I really dont want it to be a dominant theme.

The launch maps hopefully are better than that of BF3's, but if the maps are going to be even smaller, then I'm worried.

Seems like we will be getting both ends of the extreme, the question is how much of which?

Those maps felt way to empty on pc even with 64 players, I think they should increase it to 128 if those size maps are to be included in the game

Elsolar

While this is undoubtedly disappointing, it's not unexpected. DICE is in the business of giving people what they want, and this is what they want. Seeing people bitch endlessly about "how much of a letdown" Armored Kill was after it came out filled me with a combination of sadness, anger, and hopelessness that's hard to describe.

vega435

Banned
Considering that dynamic weather was talked about being implement within BF3, i think i'll hold my breath on that clam until i see it running in action.

While this is undoubtedly disappointing, it's not unexpected. DICE is in the business of giving people what they want, and this is what they want. Seeing people bitch endlessly about "how much of a letdown" Armored Kill was after it came out filled me with a combination of sadness, anger, and hopelessness that's hard to describe.

It was a letdown for many good reasons though. You couldn't control the gunship, the vehicle count was arguably too low (See Bandar Desert, having to walk for minutes in the open isn't exactly fun). Oh, and the max player count on consoles was 24, which is way too low for how big the maps were.

I still enjoyed Armored Kill to a certain extent, I'd love to see more big maps with hopefully more vehicles next time.

So they're shipping with the same amount of maps but at the same time there are more closed in, smaller maps that no one wants. So essentially to most people the game may as well be shipping with less maps if all this is true.

I really, really, really hope they're not just looking at numbers and those numbers say people sure are playing Operation Metro a lot.
Worst Battlefield map ever.

Jets mean that you don't need AA to keep choppers out of the sky, and they'd rather dogfight each other than strafe infantry. BC2's air balance was so unbelievably broken.

Also, the AA vehicle is ruthless.
The jet is BF3's BC2 chopper. The hammer to Battlefield's supposed game of rock, paper, scissors.

Oddly enough I think DICE got it the most right the first time, and BF1942 had like fivethousand vehicles. Or maybe that's just selective memory, I don't know. Didn't really play 2142 or Vietnam either.

Imagine fighting over a blistering snow in Russia. Then next game, a rainy combat in China.

Cant wait, day one on PS4.
What sounds interesting about that is that it's supposed to be dynamic. Sort of the core ingredient of the Battlefield formula. So more things being more dynamic sounds like a good idea.

I just hope (if true) it won't end up primarily irritating, like the weather effects on various BF3 maps or the aftershocks on Epicenter. Suddenly there comes one of those damned fog clouds floating by, obscuring your vision, or you essentially have to stop playing for a couple of seconds until your screen stops shaking.

Top Bottom