• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Jobiensis

ConvenientBox said:
job is your bike fitted? It doesn't sound right that you have to pull up.

I think you misunderstand, I'm pulling up on the back end of the pedal stroke. When my right foot is pushing down my left foot is pulling up. And then they switch. With straps, they need to be cinched down, otherwise when your foot starts to rock forward, it slides out of the straps. I don't need to pull up, it just makes it easier when I'm in a steep ascent, at a low cadence.

OuterWorldVoice said:
The problem people have is torque - you forget, you start to fall and instead of turning your foot, your instinct is to lift it and put it down on the ground. Those movements are incompatible with gravity and SPD technology and BAM. Slow mo fall.

I worded that badly, I do understand why people have problems initially, but it becomes instinct pretty quickly (well at least for me).

A story, a couple of months ago I did a ride up a hill near my work. I'm only in moderately decent shape, and the last 500 foot of this climb has sections that are 16+ percent grades. This road is to an observation point to the top of the hill, it's fairly wide, and there are hardly any cars on it. So I'm in low gear, out of the saddle, sweat pouring into my eyes, paper boying, just trying to keep forward momentum. I hear a car coming, so I straighten it up, move over and sit down to let him by. After what seemed like an eternity, he passed, so I get up out of the saddle again. I couldn't see very clearly (glasses covered in sweat), but as I push on the right pedal, I hit the curb, which send the bike and me toppling over to the left. Without missing a beat I unclip my left foot and catch myself.

As I said previously, I'm not massively coordinated, as proven by my ability to almost crash at 5mph, and I haven't been riding with clipless for very long (year and a half). I've had many other times (usually in sand/gravel) where I've had to unclip in a hurry. I have definitely had the slo mo fall, but not after the first month or so of riding. It just becomes instinctive.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Any lights you guys suggest?

What I use
CygoLite Pace 350
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1112095_-1_400903_400014_400158
ViewPoint Flashpoint Ultra Tail Light
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1075344_-1_1588500_20000_400903

My experience is it's best for you to go to a LBS and see the lights, some just aren't very bright. You need to decide if the headlight is for you to see, or others to see you. If you need to see, and you go at a good pace, you will need to spend a bit of money on a headlight. I can pretty safely do 30mph with my headlight. I much prefer a rear light with a non diffused lens, it is extremely visible, even in dense fog.

cbox

Jobiensis said:
I think you misunderstand, I'm pulling up on the back end of the pedal stroke. When my right foot is pushing down my left foot is pulling up. And then they switch. With straps, they need to be cinched down, otherwise when your foot starts to rock forward, it slides out of the straps. I don't need to pull up, it just makes it easier when I'm in a steep ascent, at a low cadence.

gotcha :)

Jtwo said:
Yeah, I really really enjoy riding fixed. Right now my only bike is fixed, but I'm gonna build a 3speed pretty soon I think. Or at least something with gears so I can go on a bike tour next year. Not really sure yet. I feel like gears require a lot of maintenence.
You can get a 3-speed hub for your back wheel, so it's technically a 3-speed fixed gear. I've yet to try it out but it seems awesome.

dubc35

Anyone here into BMX bikes? I know MTB and road bikes are far more popular right now. I'm going through a huge bit of nostalgia and thinking about picking up a new bike. My bro just bought a SE Floval Flyer. He also has a GT Pro Series he built basically better than the Team Edition sold that year. I have a Cook Bros and a regular GT Pro Series (non-team). I'm thinking maybe a Skyway, Kuwahara, PK Ripper or another Race Inc. (used to own one).

Jamesfrom818 said:
Any lights you guys suggest?
Correct brand, wrong model. For tail lights, get the Planet Bike Super Flash or Planet Bike Super Flash Turbo.

For front, it doesn't really matter unless you want to use the light to SEE (as opposed to BEING SEEN). If you want a powerful light, get the Magicshine ($$ but by far the best).

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Ended up getting an Electra Townie 7D:

electra-townie-7d-mens-black.jpg

Looks pretty pimp with the orange inside the wheels like that.

Problem is that I bought this bike pretty much without having ridden a bike at all for close to 20 years. I test rode it around the block and, yep, it was a bike. That was about as far as I even knew to take it. It seemed comfortable enough, and the crank forward design I'd read is for a more casual ride...cool, I thought.

Problem is that I'm getting a lot more into fitness activities in general, and I find myself pounding out 4 miles around the neighborhood and being hungry for more. The little route I've got around my area is pretty hilly, so I'm having to drop into 1st gear more than I think I'd like to in order to climb up certain hills without murdering my legs.

Sucks, because I love the look of the bike, but I'm thinking I should have gotten a traditional mountain bike instead of a cruiser for a more aggressive gearing setup and a bit more aggressive riding posture.

What do you guys think? Can I make this bike work on dirt paths and long rides (like 25+ miles) or did I buy the wrong tool for the job?

Jobiensis

Signed up for my first century. I'm a little nervous, I've done about 60 miles a bunch of times and I've done two 55 mile trips in a day a couple of times. I've also never ridden in any sort of group.

Eating is my biggest concern. I have never been able to eat in the morning of a ride and have it not cause cramping. I'm thinking of getting up at 4:30am to eat a bagel just so I have something in my system. During the ride I have done cliff bars, but those things are massively disgusting, and it's hard to eat them when my mouth is dry. Usually at the end of a 50+mile trip I'm close to bonking, so obviously I need to eat more during the ride. I'm going to start experimenting with gatorade sort of drinks, see if those are tolerable.

It looks to be a relatively flat ride, somewhere around 2500 feet of ascents, so I'm not very concerned about being able to do it. I'm doing the first half of the ride tomorrow (will do the second half next week) as there are some roads that I haven't ridden on. Just so there will be no surprises.

I really need to get a road bike though, the flat bar is uncomfortable to tuck into, not too mention the bike weighs a ton.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Have you got a Camelback or similar? Those things are great for long rides. Keep sipping at intervals throughout the journey and you'll be surprised how much further you can go with constant hydration.
I hate energy bars so I bake a bunch of flapjacks for the journey, sugar for the quick fix, oats for the slow burn. You can put anything you like in them too!

Try a small bowl of oatmeal before you set off too. Once your body is used to riding you can stop off for a 'second breakfast.' Little and often is key.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jobiensis said:
Signed up for my first century. I'm a little nervous, I've done about 60 miles a bunch of times and I've done two 55 mile trips in a day a couple of times. I've also never ridden in any sort of group.

Eating is my biggest concern. I have never been able to eat in the morning of a ride and have it not cause cramping. I'm thinking of getting up at 4:30am to eat a bagel just so I have something in my system. During the ride I have done cliff bars, but those things are massively disgusting, and it's hard to eat them when my mouth is dry. Usually at the end of a 50+mile trip I'm close to bonking, so obviously I need to eat more during the ride. I'm going to start experimenting with gatorade sort of drinks, see if those are tolerable.

It looks to be a relatively flat ride, somewhere around 2500 feet of ascents, so I'm not very concerned about being able to do it. I'm doing the first half of the ride tomorrow (will do the second half next week) as there are some roads that I haven't ridden on. Just so there will be no surprises.

I really need to get a road bike though, the flat bar is uncomfortable to tuck into, not too mention the bike weighs a ton.

If you can do 60, you can do 100 no problem so don't sweat it. For food, try those nasty but easy to eat gel things. The cramps may be an indicator of some other issue, however. If you're used to flat bars, I would recommend against switching to a road bike for your first ton. Do whatever's closest to your current best experience.

magicstop

Dammit, that Raleigh Furley is killing me! That was THE kind of bike I was looking for (except I wanted riser bars, not drops). Of course, it's not available yet, and it's several hundred more than the Felt Brougham, but dammit . . . sexy steel single speed WITH disc brakes.
Do want, so bad. I'm considering buying a cyclocross steel fork setup for disc brakes and a wheel, and running a 6" rotor on the front of my Brougham. Might look ridiculous, might not, but it will sure as hell make for a better stopper in adverse weather and on big, long hills.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
thezerofire said:
You can get a 3-speed hub for your back wheel, so it's technically a 3-speed fixed gear. I've yet to try it out but it seems awesome.
Oh for sure, I've totally seen that. I don't know, I'm also just excited to build another bike for the experience and fulfillment of it.

brentech

RubxQub said:
What do you guys think? Can I make this bike work on dirt paths and long rides (like 25+ miles) or did I buy the wrong tool for the job?
That's really your decision. I'd personally would find it hard to enjoy riding in that posture for even 15 miles, but some people love it.

But...if you need something aggressive, that sure isn't the form for it. And as for dirt paths, as long as they're smooth and safe, it shouldn't be a big deal, but if it was like a mountain bike trail there is no way.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
brentech said:
That's really your decision. I'd personally would find it hard to enjoy riding in that posture for even 15 miles, but some people love it.

But...if you need something aggressive, that sure isn't the form for it. And as for dirt paths, as long as they're smooth and safe, it shouldn't be a big deal, but if it was like a mountain bike trail there is no way.
That's kind of my fear. I think this is going to be a fine bike for putzing around town, but I may have doomed myself to a second bike eventually or something.

Oh well..it still looks sweet!

Jobiensis said:
Eating is my biggest concern. I have never been able to eat in the morning of a ride and have it not cause cramping. I'm thinking of getting up at 4:30am to eat a bagel just so I have something in my system. During the ride I have done cliff bars, but those things are massively disgusting...

Well, you've identified the key issue in a successful first century: nutrition. Most people can complete a 40-60 miles ride without eating a thing. However, when it comes to centuries, you gotta eat, and you gotta start eating around mile 30. Eat a few things every hour. Fig newtons, bananas, candy bars, whatever you have on hand.

You say you find cliff bars disgusting and gatorade barely tolerable. Now that's just plain silly--eating during exercise is not for flavor. Who gives a rat's ass what it tastes like, as long as you can ingest it.

Another tip is doing some 'carb loading' the evening before. Eat a huge plate of spaghetti (or some other pasta or carb-rich meal) the nite before your ride; you'll definitely notice that you have more 'in the tank'.

RubxQub said:
That's kind of my fear. I think this is going to be a fine bike for putzing around town, but I may have doomed myself to a second bike eventually or something.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend a cruiser like that for anything but riding around in the neighbourhood (and there's even better bikes than that for that purpose). If you're interested in biking for fitness, read some of the previous page for lots of tips on what to buy.

Brera

Banned
I'm getting ready for winter so went shopping over the last two days!

Yesterday, a pair of cycling trousers, shorts and a Berghaus fleece in a sale.

Today:

Camelbak Capo backpack

CCAM0057BB.jpg

I know the colour is garish but I was in a silly mood and after ages shopping around, £44.99 was a steal! Would have loved the slightly larger version but the 3L reservoir is awesome capacity and quality for the money! Love it!

Bought some awesome winter gloves for £5 from Decathlon in their sale, awesome quality for the cash! Bought a nice hiking jacket while I was there with zippers to get some air if it gets too hot and sweaty for £29! Seen the same for £80 elsewhere!

I'm ready for the rain!

Next purchase? A Cube Analog or better!

Stinkles

Inspired by a poster on this page, I just bought a folding bike. And it's a Fixie, even though I hate fixies. But bear with me. It's a Dahon Speed UNO, currently on sale for half price on Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yzNK2dOp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

23 pounds, folds in seconds, no oil, fits in a suitcase, I will be taking this with me on almost every business trip I go on from now on, and tooling around the back streets of various foreign and domestic cities. Not to mention cruising along various beaches and boardwalks. When I saw the price today, it was a no brainer.

ameratsu

OuterWorldVoice said:
Inspired by a poster on this page, I just bought a folding bike. And it's a Fixie, even though I hate fixies. But bear with me. It's a Dahon Speed UNO, currently on sale for half price on Amazon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2yzNK2dOp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

How much setup is required with something like this once it arrives? Does it come fully assembled and ready to go? Seems like a really good product/price.

Stinkles

thezerofire said:
Welcome to fixie-gaf, that looks like a really fun bike

I just got yelled at by a Fixie rider for describing it as a Fixie. It's a single speed bike with a coaster brake.

robox

OuterWorldVoice said:
I just got yelled at by a Fixie rider for describing it as a Fixie. It's a single speed bike with a coaster brake.

ya that video confused the hell outta me. fixie? that guy was clearly coasting.

CAW

Picked this up the other day for $100 from a pawnshop. I was walking by and saw it. Total impulse buy. I've wanted to get back into biking for awhile but never really got past the 'thinking about it' stage.

It actually runs very nice the only downside is that the bottom bracket (or crank shaft or whatever it's called) is loose and I can hear some grinding/cracking noises now and then, so I'm going to take it into a local bike shop and have them tune it up and see what they say. I'm guessing it will prob cost another $100 or so. I guess I should have checked it out a bit more before taking it home, but other than that issue everything else works fine.

g7ceg.jpg

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, you're going to primarily be checking it on flights and stuff?
Hmm... interesting.

Stinkles

Jtwo said:
So wait, you're going to primarily be checking it on flights and stuff?
Hmm... interesting.

Yep. Put it in a suitcase, surround it with your clothes (in plastic bags) and have a bike wherever you travel on business. Or vacation, obviously.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thats both really cool and really strange. I guess if you're an international man of mystery it would be a nice thing to have though.

OuterWorldVoice said:
ah, that makes more sense. Is there a video of just how small it gets?

Stinkles

Jtwo said:
Thats both really cool and really strange. I guess if you're an international man of mystery it would be a nice thing to have though.

It's a cool way to get exercise without slogging into a crappy hotel gym. And I travel to Tokyo a lot, and it's one of the coolest ways to explore parts you might otherwise walk, or train right by.

thezerofire said:
ah, that makes more sense. Is there a video of just how small it gets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SteQOA5zSIw

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun. It just struck me as such a peculiar luxury.. something about cramming a bike and an extra suit in a bag before you rush off to the other side of the globe is very futuristic and esteemed. Its really cool, I think.

Yami

dubc35 said:
Anyone here into BMX bikes? I know MTB and road bikes are far more popular right now. I'm going through a huge bit of nostalgia and thinking about picking up a new bike. My bro just bought a SE Floval Flyer. He also has a GT Pro Series he built basically better than the Team Edition sold that year. I have a Cook Bros and a regular GT Pro Series (non-team). I'm thinking maybe a Skyway, Kuwahara, PK Ripper or another Race Inc. (used to own one).

Love me some BMX. Simple, to the point, no-frills fun. Used to ride a lot during my school days, and my bike still comes in handy around university.

Trails are hella fun in the summer, nothing better than popping some jumps with some friends and giggling like kids again.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really posted about it here until now, but my pedal has been broken for like a week and a half. I've been borrowing this crappy mountain bike when I need to go somewhere.

The part where the clip screws in got super bent out of place. Anyway, finally got down to fixing it today and went for a big ride. Just got back. Feels good.

EDIT: Oh I forgot! I took this amazing photograph.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Some classless motherfucker just threw a soda at me. Pepsi, to be exact. I tasted it off myself to make sure it wasn't piss. Good shot too, right in the eye as I'm doing like 25 in traffic. Fucker could have killed me. >:O

My city sucks for biking. Jesus.

dojokun

Banned
Ducky_McGee said:
Any recommendations for a saddle designed for a females anatomy?

The one that came with my bike is giving me issues.
What kind of bike do you ride? Different riding positions would need different saddles.

Swig_

Anyone use one of those trainers that let you cycle while stationary? I'm a skinny guy (6'2 about 170), but due to my job and bad diet, I've gained a little stomach fat that I want to lose.. Also, I don't have many places I can ride easily without it becoming a big deal because of where I live.

Would one of these be good for my situation? I've never dealt with one before.

The price ranges on these is crazy.. $50 - $500.. I'm not a serious cyclist, it's mostly for recreation and fitness.. Would a cheap trainer be fine for my purposes?

Hausmeister

Neo Member
So next weekend I'm getting my first bike since I live in Berlin (2007)... any tips on riding a bike in a big city? I'm thinking of starting short trips during night time or early in the morning just to see what it's like. I hate traffic already :D

Swig_

Anyone use one of those trainers that let you cycle while stationary? I'm a skinny guy (6'2 about 170), but due to my job and bad diet, I've gained a little stomach fat that I want to lose.. Also, I don't have many places I can ride easily without it becoming a big deal because of where I live.

Would one of these be good for my situation? I've never dealt with one before.

The price ranges on these is crazy.. $50 - $500.. I'm not a serious cyclist, it's mostly for recreation and fitness.. Would a cheap trainer be fine for my purposes?

Top Bottom