• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Kod1ak said:
The price ranges on these is crazy.. $50 - $500.. I'm not a serious cyclist, it's mostly for recreation and fitness.. Would a cheap trainer be fine for my purposes?

I recommend again buying stationary bikes. They're cumbersome, hard to adjust, uncomfortable.. and what's more, because of these reasons 90% of people who buy one don't stick to their regimen. And they end up at a yard sale or thrown out.

(If you're really set on getting one, I suggest: join a gym for a month, and use their stationary bikes a few times a week. If it clicks, you can consider buying one yourself.)

But it's better to look around for a regular bike, there must be some area around your town where you can ride. You get to enjoy the outdoors + you have an additional means of transportation--a stationary bike won't provide that. And if it's really impossible to ride outside, you can always buy an indoor trainer for your bike (e.g. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-198-l-en.html).

perryfarrell said:
I recommend again buying stationary bikes. They're cumbersome, hard to adjust, uncomfortable.. and what's more, because of these reasons 90% of people who buy one don't stick to their regimen. And they end up at a yard sale or thrown out.

(If you're really set on getting one, I suggest: join a gym for a month, and use their stationary bikes a few times a week. If it clicks, you can consider buying one yourself.)

But it's better to look around for a regular bike, there must be some area around your town where you can ride. You get to enjoy the outdoors + you have an additional means of transportation--a stationary bike won't provide that. And if it's really impossible to ride outside, you can always buy an indoor trainer for your bike (e.g. http://www.kurtkinetic.com/road-machine-p-198-l-en.html).
I believe he's asking about trainers, not stationary bikes.

Swig_

perryfarrell said:

Yeah, I'm looking for a trainer that I can hook my bike up to. I like to get out on the road and bike, but because of the area I live in right now, it's difficult because it's mostly high-speed highways and construction areas. Plus, sometimes I'd rather just be able to hop on and watch TV or something while I'm getting some exercise.

I had thought about buying either a stationary bike or a treadmill, but I'd rather not, because of some of the reasons you listed.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Have any of you guys been on a bike tour? I'm gonna do it.. but I sorta only in the last month or so have made the really firm decision to set my sights on that goal.

I'm reading websites like this http://www.bicycletouring101.com/TableOfContents.htm
http://packlite.tumblr.com/

Just general tips and stuff. Since nothing can go wrong if you don't leave California, I think I'm just going ride from the oregon border all the way down to where the redwood trees stop. So it will be a long one, maybe over a month. But nothing super crazy like cross country or anything.

I was just curious if anyone has experience with this. It seems relatively simple, just needs a lot of planning and training. Just ride most of the day, and set up camp in the mid afternoon. Probably do like ~40-50 miles a day depending on incline and how tired I am.

I'm thinking its gonna take me about a year to get everything in proper order. So I'm in no rush.

Jobiensis

Kod1ak said:
Yeah, I'm looking for a trainer that I can hook my bike up to. I like to get out on the road and bike, but because of the area I live in right now, it's difficult because it's mostly high-speed highways and construction areas. Plus, sometimes I'd rather just be able to hop on and watch TV or something while I'm getting some exercise.

I had thought about buying either a stationary bike or a treadmill, but I'd rather not, because of some of the reasons you listed.

I've got a $200 Cyclops trainer. It's ok, I use it to do intervals or spinning when I don't have time to ride. It's better than nothing, but it hardly gets any use because riding outside is so much more fun. If you don't have it in front of a TV, it gets boring quickly.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rented a Trek 7300 for a few days. Seems like a solid hybrid bike. Took it on trails and city streets and it handled both well. Will probably pick one up, or something similar.

SUPREME1

Banned
EviLore said:
Rented a Trek 7300 for a few days. Seems like a solid hybrid bike. Took it on trails and city streets and it handled both well. Will probably pick one up, or something similar.

For what it's worth, and as I've mentioned in this thread, wife and I have a pair of his and hers 7100s and they've never given us any problems. The 7300s are lighter and have some better parts, so I imagine it'll be even better to you than ours have been to us.

$0.02

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Question:

I've got a crank-forward 7-speed bike that I'm loving, but I'm wondering if I could take it on crazy long journey's or if it's really going to be more of a casual bike.

I've probably put close to 100 miles on it already, and I can handle hills pretty well with my 1st gear being one of those Mega-Range freewheel things.

...now I know about more gears allowing you maintain your cadence which yields more efficient pedaling which means longer riding...but can one comfortably go long distances on this kind of bike? The most I've ever done on it so far in a single session is 8 miles, which wasn't a big deal. Fairly hilly area, as well.

What say you?!

magicstop

This might apply to you, EviLore, but if not it's a great deal for anyone:

Rocky Mountain Metropolis NRT (2010) for $599 from JensonUSA.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI276C09-Rocky+Mountain+Metropolis+Nrt+10.aspx

That's down from it's original price of $1,099! Really killer deal, if a 16" or 20" frame will work for you. If I was a bit taller or shorter, I'd grab one of these up.

I know it's not a hybrid, EviLore, but you'd be getting a lot more bike for a little less than that 7300, and this would get you around town way better (internally geared hub, disc brakes, etc.). I bet you could throw some cyclocross tires on and do equally well on the trails, plus having disc brakes is better for WHATEVER terrain you are on. Just a thought.

Edit: 32c tires, so really, you wouldn't need cyclocross tires. I bet this thing would be just fine on whatever trails you had your Trek rental on.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
magicstop said:
This might apply to you, EviLore, but if not it's a great deal for anyone:

Rocky Mountain Metropolis NRT (2010) for $599 from JensonUSA.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI276C09-Rocky+Mountain+Metropolis+Nrt+10.aspx

That's down from it's original price of $1,099! Really killer deal, if a 16" or 20" frame will work for you. If I was a bit taller or shorter, I'd grab one of these up.

I know it's not a hybrid, EviLore, but you'd be getting a lot more bike for a little less than that 7300, and this would get you around town way better (internally geared hub, disc brakes, etc.). I bet you could throw some cyclocross tires on and do equally well on the trails, plus having disc brakes is better for WHATEVER terrain you are on. Just a thought.

Edit: 32c tires, so really, you wouldn't need cyclocross tires. I bet this thing would be just fine on whatever trails you had your Trek rental on.

If I'm ordering online, shouldn't I just go with something specific to my needs via bikesdirect and so forth?

magicstop

EviLore said:
If I'm ordering online, shouldn't I just go with something specific to my needs via bikesdirect and so forth?

I'd go with something specific to your needs, regardless, whether it takes ordering online or going to your LBS. It's always nice to sit on something first, for sure, but I bet there's a Rocky Mountain dealer around your area somewhere. Most brands you can find local dealers for.
The trick with bikesdirect is that they don't have dealers, so it's a blind buy. And to be honest, for my money, I wouldn't buy from there. For as long as I've been involved in the mountain biking world, they (and Motobecane, etc.) have carried bad reputations. I'm not sure if they are deserved or not, as I haven't ridden any of those bikes, but the reputation was consistent. That being said, I just pointed my friend toward one of those Dawes single speeds, as he found one locally for sale by a guy who bought it from bikesdirect.

I guess your needs are a bit nebulous, too. Getting around town, wanting to ride on the road and trails . . . those are accomplished by many machines. What specifically do you feel like you need out of a rig? Upright position? Stopping power? Large range of gears? No gears? Suspension (I'd recommend against it at this price point)? I think the 7300 would be a great bike, but I also think the RM I linked is a better bike in all possible ways. I'm not sure what needs the 7300 would accomplish better than the RM, though?

magicstop

EviLore said:
I don't fit a 16" or 20" frame, for starters?

That would definitely proven problematic for the RM :D As I said earlier, if it's applicable (to anyone), it's a hell of a deal. Where, btw, did you find a RM sizing chart? I've been having a bugger of a time finding one. If it's similar to other brands, I'd probably want an 18", but I found when sizing my Trek and Felt commuters, they fit differently even when measuring the frame in inches. The 17.5" Trek Soho S was actually too small for me (though I almost always take a 17") and the 19" was the proper fit for my height. I was kind of hoping the RM fit similarly, as the 20" would then be a closer fit for my 5'10+ height.

Kod1ak said:
Anyone use one of those trainers that let you cycle while stationary? I'm a skinny guy (6'2 about 170), but due to my job and bad diet, I've gained a little stomach fat that I want to lose.. Also, I don't have many places I can ride easily without it becoming a big deal because of where I live.

Would one of these be good for my situation? I've never dealt with one before.

The price ranges on these is crazy.. $50 - $500.. I'm not a serious cyclist, it's mostly for recreation and fitness.. Would a cheap trainer be fine for my purposes?
If you buy a trainer let me know what you get and what you think. I'm looking myself and am having a hard time deciding between the Cycleops Mag or Fluid 2.

Went without a bike for the past few months, yesterday, my mom decided to get me one.

Got a Torker U-District with new tires, drop bars & brakes (they had to be replaced as the stock ones wouldn't work with the new bars). Single-speed with the option for fixed (I went with fixed) and I love it.

P1010646.jpg

P1010647.jpg

P1010648.jpg

New lock's arriving tomorrow so will start commuting with it on Tuesday.

I think I need to take my Trek 7000 in for repairs. I might tackled a hill at too high of a gear that it could handle. The crank becomes loose no matter how much I tighten it. No one I know has a torque wrench.

magicstop

Jamesfrom818 said:
I think I need to take my Trek 7000 in for repairs. I might tackled a hill at too high of a gear that it could handle. The crank becomes loose no matter how much I tighten it. No one I know has a torque wrench.

Don't know where you live, but if you are in NC in the research triangle area, I've got a couple of 'em, and would be happy to help you out.

Auron, sweet looking ride! I really like it! Simple, clean, and totally fun looking.

magicstop said:
Don't know where you live, but if you are in NC in the research triangle area, I've got a couple of 'em, and would be happy to help you out.

Auron, sweet looking ride! I really like it! Simple, clean, and totally fun looking.

I'm in LA but thanks for the offer. The guy I bought the bike from said I could bring it in a couple weeks a for a free tune up and adjustment. I guess I'm just going to ride it gingerly over to his shop which isn't too far from my place. I tried putting it in my car but it doesn't fit.

Kraftwerk

Thinking about getting a mountain bike. My friend loaned me one of his many mountain bikes and we hit some trails. It was freaking awesome.
This is my top pick right now. Good components, rides very well and gorgeous to me. My road bike is Italian, so why not have an Italian mountain bike ? :D

Wilier 503 (click for large HQ)

Full specs etc

CAW

Thinking about getting a Trek DS series bike. I was looking at the 8.2 vs the 8.3 and the differences don't seem to be too great other than the brakes. The 8.2 uses pads where as the 8.3 uses disc brakes.

Can someone with some experience fill me in on the major differences, both good and bad, to having disc brakes. Are they really that much better, are they difficult to clean, do they ad more weight to the bike, etc?

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/compare

magicstop

CAW said:
Thinking about getting a Trek DS series bike. I was looking at the 8.2 vs the 8.3 and the differences don't seem to be too great other than the brakes. The 8.2 uses pads where as the 8.3 uses disc brakes.

Can someone with some experience fill me in on the major differences, both good and bad, to having disc brakes. Are they really that much better, are they difficult to clean, do they ad more weight to the bike, etc?

http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/compare

Disc brakes are better on every point of comparison to rim brakes EXCEPT for weight and maybe noise. They are heavier, typically, and sometimes can be more prone to being noisy (squealing) than rim brakes. But those are the only two reasons not to use them.

Disc brakes have tremendous stopping power. They typically do not experience brake fade from lots of braking. They stay much, much cleaner because of their location, and as result require less cleaning and provide far better stopping. Cleaning involves simply wiping the rotor down, rather than the whole wheel. They are mechanically very simple. Hydraulic disc brakes, especially, are extremely powerful and can provide one-finger stopping in the most extreme conditions (though the maintenance is different from mechanical brakes, requiring some bleeding and changing of the fluid). Disc brakes don't require a trued wheel to stop you, so even if your wheel is out of true, you will still stop.

On a mountain bike, I think they are one of the biggest upgrades you can make. Since I started using hydraulic disc brakes in '04, I will never, ever go back. Never.
And even for my single speed commuter bike around town, I will be converting to a fork that will allow me to use a disc brake up front, simply because the stopping power is so much better, modulation is better, the results are far more reliable and consistent, and they will work better in any weather.

There's nothing wrong with rim brakes. But I believe that unless you are being a weight weenie, there is NO reason to go with anything other than disc brakes. And for mountain biking, I believe they are absolutely better, and should really, really be on your rig.

Can I ask why you are considering the DS series? Typically I tend to shy away from "hybrid" bikes as, in my experience, they tend to come up a bit short in both categories. What sort of riding do you intend to do, and what sort of riding will you primarily do? What sort of features are you looking for and why?

CAW

magicstop said:
Can I ask why you are considering the DS series? Typically I tend to shy away from "hybrid" bikes as, in my experience, they tend to come up a bit short in both categories. What sort of riding do you intend to do, and what sort of riding will you primarily do? What sort of features are you looking for and why?
I was thinking hybrid because I'd be doing a lot of city riding, but I'd still like to be able to hit the trails. I don't have a car at the moment so if I was going to be trail riding, I'd have to ride to the trails first.

Also, my city has implemented a 'hub trail' that goes around the entire city. Basically it's a route created for bikers and joggers/walkers. The majority of it is asphalt but it does cut through some trails as well.

http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on....ineering/Planning/Hub Trails/HubTrail_V10.pdf

Any thoughts/recommendations? I ended up with the Trek DS after reading some positive posts about the Trek 7100 series, but wanted something a bit more sporty/mountain bike style.

Also, thank you for the detail about the disc brakes.

RJM77 said:
Bicycle shorts/tights: yeah or ney? or maybe bibs?

Depends upon the kind of cycling you're doing. If you ride for transportation, don't wear 'em. (E.g. commuting, around town, to the beach, errands). If you ride for exercise, wear 'em (E.g. racing, club rides, centuries). If you wear bibs, you also need a jersey and some type of clip-in system.

There's no big huge difference between shorts and bibs, except that bibs are better than regular shorts. So go for the bibs.

magicstop

CAW said:
I was thinking hybrid because I'd be doing a lot of city riding, but I'd still like to be able to hit the trails. I don't have a car at the moment so if I was going to be trail riding, I'd have to ride to the trails first.

Also, my city has implemented a 'hub trail' that goes around the entire city. Basically it's a route created for bikers and joggers/walkers. The majority of it is asphalt but it does cut through some trails as well.

http://www.city.sault-ste-marie.on....ineering/Planning/Hub Trails/HubTrail_V10.pdf

Any thoughts/recommendations? I ended up with the Trek DS after reading some positive posts about the Trek 7100 series, but wanted something a bit more sporty/mountain bike style.

Also, thank you for the detail about the disc brakes.

No problem! Happy to assist as I can.

I see your dilemma, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better option than a hybrid. Typically in the sub-$800 category, I recommend staying away from suspension, for one thing. You can usually do OK-ish on front suspension for $800 - $1400, but I prefer to leave the rig fully rigid if shooting at, say, $600 or so. You can get a fork, but it will be a cheap spring fork with almost no settings, and a rather bouncy ride. They need servicing faster, and they don't hold up to abuse well, especially if you are a heavy rider. And because you will be doing a lot of biking on the road, it's not going to be efficient. When you get a more expensive bike with a more expensive fork that uses air rather than a spring, you usually have more settings, higher quality build, and a more efficient, comfortable ride.

So that's one consideration. Fully rigid can obviously be quite rough on the trails, but if you get a steel frame, I'd think you'd be ok. Plus, it really teaches you to be observant and to pick the cleanest, smoothest, most efficient lines, which as a mountain biker, can be really important. And you'll enjoy it on the road MUCH more.

If that were something you'd be willing to consider, you may be interested in a cyclocross bike or something similar. These bikes usually favor slightly more road-oriented geometry, have tires that work well on road and off, and are built burly enough to work well on the trail as well (thus the sport of cyclocross).

Here are some options in the $800-ish range that may be a littler better suited to being on the roads lots, but also doing some trail work. See what you think:

Raleigh Furley - Disc brakes, steel frame, single speed

Raleigh Misceo - Aluminum, unfortunately, but disc brakes, lots of gears, and a great price at around $520.

Kona Dew Deluxe - Again, aluminum, but for around $850 you are getting a nice, upright geometry that will work well on trails, hydraulic disc brakes which are the best, and a good looking set of components. Should be a really fun ride, and I like the looks for it. Might want to throw some wider tires on there, though.

And I would think something from Surly like that Karate Monkey, or the Ogre would be your BEST bet. However, they are more expensive for complete bikes. You COULD just buy the frame set and have a bike shop help you build it for your target budget, however, and you'd come out with a really cool custom bike. I really like Surly's stuff, and it's worth a long hard look.

Anyway, just my initial thoughts, steering you away from wasting money on a Suntour fork or similar rubbish, and instead getting a bike that is ultra-efficient, will pedal really well on the road (which I think ultimately, you are going to want), and will still take you down the trail for a good time.

SUPREME1

Banned
Auron_Kale said:
Went without a bike for the past few months, yesterday, my mom decided to get me one.

Got a Torker U-District with new tires, drop bars & brakes (they had to be replaced as the stock ones wouldn't work with the new bars). Single-speed with the option for fixed (I went with fixed) and I love it.

P1010646.jpg

P1010647.jpg

P1010648.jpg

New lock's arriving tomorrow so will start commuting with it on Tuesday.

Really digging the clean look of your bike.

Valygar

My city (Valencia) has an amazing public bicycle service:

1286273180_0.jpg

I think there are like 300 places where you can get a bike, or park it, usually with 15 bikes/slots. I had not ridden a bike for years, but when this shit appeared, now I use it almost daily. Bikes are amazing. The bad side are that those bikes are shit, it makes me jealous when someone on a better bike goes at my side at like 1.5X or 2X speed :(.

Thanks for the kind words magicstop & SUPREME1!

Definitely wanted a clean look for this bike, since I went out of my way to keep it simple and almost ordinary-looking.

Valygar said:
My city (Valencia) has an amazing public bicycle service:

1286273180_0.jpg

I think there are like 300 places where you can get a bike, or park it, usually with 15 bikes/slots. I had not ridden a bike for years, but when this shit appeared, now I use it almost daily. Bikes are amazing. The bad side are that those bikes are shit, it makes me jealous when someone on a better bike goes at my side at like 1.5X or 2X speed :(.

There are 300 places to go in Valencia...Valencia, CA?

RJM77

perryfarrell said:
Depends upon the kind of cycling you're doing. If you ride for transportation, don't wear 'em. (E.g. commuting, around town, to the beach, errands). If you ride for exercise, wear 'em (E.g. racing, club rides, centuries). If you wear bibs, you also need a jersey and some type of clip-in system.

There's no big huge difference between shorts and bibs, except that bibs are better than regular shorts. So go for the bibs.

I just got a Specialized Allez Sport a couple weeks ago and have been slowly picking up everything I need. My ride to work is about 8 miles. But definitely also plan to be riding for exercise on weekends and whenever I have free time. The bibs seem to make more sense in terms of just keeping them up over my ass lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm slowly becoming a bike nerd. It's like going from someone who listens to music to someone who's into music. I'm finding myself researching parts, wanting to downgrade upgrade from a ten speed to a three speed, getting a front rack/mini basket, etc.

It's a slow thing for me, though. Understanding all the different parts and specifications can be daunting -- but the prospect of perfectly customizing my bike is a damn good incentive.

ocadman

How much should I expect to pay for a tune-up?

Jamesfrom818 said:
There are 300 places to go in Valencia...Valencia, CA?

LOL. I thought the same thing. I think they're talking about Valencia, Spain?

omg.kittens said:
It's a slow thing for me, though.... but the prospect of perfectly customizing my bike is a damn good incentive.

Be careful with the amount of upgrading you do, though. Money-wise, it's smarter to buy a complete bike with the features you want than changing an existing bike into the bike with the features you want.

If you build a bike from the components up, it will usually cost you more than double compared to buying complete.

(This doesn't apply to adding a bike rack of course. But I'd never downgrade a 10-speed into a 3-speed. Just buy a new bike...)

SUPREME1

Banned
ocadman said:
How much should I expect to pay for a tune-up?

LOL. I thought the same thing. I think they're talking about Valencia, Spain?

I'd assume so by the looks of all those sexy
cars. LOL.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
perryfarrell said:
Be careful with the amount of upgrading you do, though. Money-wise, it's smarter to buy a complete bike with the features you want than changing an existing bike into the bike with the features you want.

If you build a bike from the components up, it will usually cost you more than double compared to buying complete.

(This doesn't apply to adding a bike rack of course. But I'd never downgrade a 10-speed into a 3-speed. Just buy a new bike...)
Really? I've always heard the opposite. A lot of my friends buy parts through Craigslist and Ebay... Maybe it's cheaper that way? I dunno, I'm gonna get them to help me through it all, hah. And have lots of people to help me install stuff that I can't install myself -- for free or close to.

^ Well if you get used parts for cheap, then by all means go for. It will actually teach you a lot about bicycle mechanics. You'll be able to maintain and fix your own bike.

I was talking more about buying lots of new parts online, basically building a bike out of new components.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Picked up a Trek 7.5 FX (22.5") at the LBS. 2012 one wasn't in yet so I did a test drive on a 2011, everything went fine so I ordered the '12.

Figured my first decent bike should be via LBS for the tune-ups and service and everything, and they're right down the street so it's really convenient, but man, the margins still make me cringe as someone who buys everything from the internet normally. Saw their computer system, dealer price is $550 ;b

EviLore said:
Picked up a Trek 7.5 FX (22.5") at the LBS. 2012 one wasn't in yet so I did a test drive on a 2011, everything went fine so I ordered the '12.

Figured my first decent bike should be via LBS for the tune-ups and service and everything, and they're right down the street so it's really convenient, but man, the margins still make me cringe as someone who buys everything from the internet normally. Saw their computer system, dealer price is $550 ;b

That dealer price is before they pay shipping, and to have a mechanic assemble and tune it.

Margins on bikes are absurdly slim. Go look at clothing margins if you want to see something cringe worthy.

You're going to love the 7.5. I just got my 7.4 in and have really enjoyed the subtle tweaks they made for the 2012 model year.

magicstop

EviLore said:

Sweet, sweet looking ride. Something like that - fully rigid, somewhat relaxed geometry - is the best for a commuter and around-town type bike, in my opinion. Be sure to post some pics up once you get it in!

CAW

magicstop said:
Here are some options in the $800-ish range that may be a littler better suited to being on the roads lots, but also doing some trail work. See what you think:

Raleigh Furley - Disc brakes, steel frame, single speed

Raleigh Misceo - Aluminum, unfortunately, but disc brakes, lots of gears, and a great price at around $520.

Kona Dew Deluxe - Again, aluminum, but for around $850 you are getting a nice, upright geometry that will work well on trails, hydraulic disc brakes which are the best, and a good looking set of components. Should be a really fun ride, and I like the looks for it. Might want to throw some wider tires on there, though.

And I would think something from Surly like that Karate Monkey, or the Ogre would be your BEST bet. However, they are more expensive for complete bikes. You COULD just buy the frame set and have a bike shop help you build it for your target budget, however, and you'd come out with a really cool custom bike. I really like Surly's stuff, and it's worth a long hard look.

Anyway, just my initial thoughts, steering you away from wasting money on a Suntour fork or similar rubbish, and instead getting a bike that is ultra-efficient, will pedal really well on the road (which I think ultimately, you are going to want), and will still take you down the trail for a good time.
Surprisingly enough I really like the looks of that Furley. Sadly there's no Raleigh dealer near here, other than Canadian Tire (hardware store) but I doubt that'd be a model they'd have.

Thanks for taking the time to post some suggestions.

I went up to one of the local bike shops here in my city to see what they had in store. They had some really nice bikes but one that caught my interest the most is a KHS Alite 1000.

http://www.khsbicycles.com/04_alite_1000_10.htm

It's a hardtail mountain bike which isn't what I was originally looking for, but I kind of fell in love with the style of that bike. One of the mechanics was putting together a brand new 17" while I was there. He said he'd call me when it was finished. He called last night and I said I'd be back up there tomorrow. It's about $800 with %15 off, which is pretty much the tax here in Ontario, Canada. So that's not to bad.

I know it's a trail bike but I do plan to ride the trails as much as possible. Here's some info on some of the trails we have in this city: http://www.canadatrails.ca/mtb/on/sault-ste-marie.html

I also found a map of trails in cottage country which is literally just outside of the city where me and a few buddies normally camp, so I think I've now got some mountain bike fever going on: http://www.algomahighlandsconservancy.org/pdfs/Stokely_Lands.pdf

Anyway, thanks again for all the tips. Do you have an opinion on the KHS Alite 1000?

7S06Z.jpg

magicstop

I'm actually not familiar with KHS. I'll have to do some research, but just glancing at the components on there, it's a pretty similar $800ish hardtail setup to many of the other manufacturer's, I'd say. You may want to compare directly with Specialized (low end Rock Hopper or high end Hardrock), Kona (Mahuna), and others.

Again, what I would emphasize about that: you will certainly get a better trail experience with one of those bikes, but your road riding is going to suffer from it, and quite a bit. The tires are very inappropriate for being on the road, and the bike will feel sluggish and slow as a result. The geometry won't be very effective for road riding either, which will simply make it harder to get into a good, efficient position that will allow you some ease of riding. Finally, the suspension is pretty low-tier, and as a result will typically give you some modest bump absorption in trade for inefficient ride quality (you'll be bobbing around quite a bit), lower construction quality (thus more braking of components), and worse technology (achieving a less desirable feel and result).
BUT, if having front suspension is important to you, go for it.

I'd really only recommend a bike like this if you are going to be mountain biking, and really only riding roads to get to the trails. There are just too many good varieties of bike that will pedal and perform far better on the road and still decently on a trail. No need to kill off your road option unless you really don't plan on being on the road.

BUT, it's definitely your dime and your time. You know what you are going to do, what rides you'd like to make, and what would initially make you happy. Just don't get too caught up in the bling of a new bike :D It's easy to do, and I've lived to regret it myself in the past.

EDIT: KHS shows the Alite 1000 as having an MSRP of $600? But I guess that's $800 CADish? I wasn't taking those conversions into account, earlier, for what it's worth.
Also, if you were interested in that Raleigh, talk to your Raleigh dealer. It's a 2012 bike, so even if he/she doesn't have it, they could certainly order it, I would think, even if it's just for you to test ride and check out.
Edit 2: Not impressed w/ that KHS at second glance. The fork gets terrible reviews and is generally considered to be pretty rubbish :( The bike gets critiqued for having cheap components. I would keep looking if I were you, even if you are dead set on getting a mountain bike.

CAW

magicstop said:
Edit 2: Not impressed w/ that KHS at second glance. The fork gets terrible reviews and is generally considered to be pretty rubbish :( The bike gets critiqued for having cheap components. I would keep looking if I were you, even if you are dead set on getting a mountain bike.
Not dead set on the MB. I think I got a tad too excited and a bit impatient. More or less I just want to get out there and do some serious riding, and thus almost made a hasty decision that I probably would have paid for in the end.

I too sat down today and did some more research and read your reply and I'd definitely like something that can handle to road as well. However, when I think about it, the majority of the riding would be road. As I said before, in most cases, even if I wanted to ride the trails, I'd be riding to the trails first. So I should continue to look for something that can do both instead of going with one that's going to hinder the other, like MB bike would have.

Good things come to he who waits I guess so I'll make sure to take my time and not rush into such a decision.

Thanks again for your input. Definitely been a great help!

Top Bottom