• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Addnan

Any place to buy good quality used parts? I wanted a compact Ultegra chainset but forking out £150 right now is pusing it.

T8SC

Gold Member
Get a 105 instead? You will never notice the difference

Agreed. I have the 5800 105 on my winter bike and its a great robust groupset, no issues so far. The new Tiagra is also meant to be good but it's 10 speed.

The difference between 105 & Ultegra is negligible and even the weight isn't much different. If you want lightweight, go Sram and don't look back.

Why not go FSA? They can often be found heavily discounted like Shimano and have some nice carbon kit too.

davidnic

Agreed. I have the 5800 105 on my winter bike and its a great robust groupset, no issues so far. The new Tiagra is also meant to be good but it's 10 speed.

The difference between 105 & Ultegra is negligible and even the weight isn't much different. If you want lightweight, go Sram and don't look back.

Why not go FSA? They can often be found heavily discounted like Shimano and have some nice carbon kit too.

SRAM is super light, i am ordering my second bike with on. After a successfully 3 years with it.

Also worth noting this generations 105 is last gens Ultrega. Shimano is very big on downstreaming their stuff.

T8SC

Gold Member
Also worth noting this generations 105 is last gens Ultrega. Shimano is very big on downstreaming their stuff.

Partially true. I had the 6700 Ultegra on my old summer bike, differences being the brakes on the 5800 feel better, the 5800 has the new four arm crank as opposed to the 6700 five arm and of course the 5800 is 11 speed. Everything else is basically the trickle down effect, though the 6700 had carbon levers, the 5800 doesn't, not that it makes much difference.

davidnic said:
SRAM is super light, i am ordering my second bike with on.

I love Sram, prefer it over any Shimano groupset. Shame there's very few bike manufacturers supplying bikes with Sram on them as standard, other than eTap on the high-end bikes. Cyclocross bikes sometimes have Sram Force but other than that, hard to find Sram unless its a custom built bike.

kottila

No. Already have a di2 bike. I wanted to change gearing and crank length. So just looking to replace my 53/39 172.5 to 50/34 170. Hunting for any good deals on that size.

My cervelo came with a full ultegra group, except for the fsa chainset and it hasen't given me any mental issues yet

gillty

Banned
FSA cranks are shit. You can def. tell the difference in shifting between 6800 and 5800 imo.

Cranks/Chainrings are the one worthwhile investment if you are budget oriented and looking to upgrade.

T8SC

Gold Member
A glorious day today, it demanded a big training ride out. 204 mile, 11,300ft elevation & 18.2mph average speed ... Decent progress, still room for improvement but it is only March after all.

Addnan

Early Saturday morning ride. Sun was shining, but a lot colder than I thought it would be. Toes ended up freezing for ages.

imag06117radz.jpg

T8SC

Gold Member
Early Saturday morning ride. Sun was shining, but a lot colder than I thought it would be. Toes ended up freezing for ages.

I felt like that on the descents yesterday. Wanted to wear minimal on the climbs and then layer up on the descents. Hard to pick the right clothes on sunny but cold days over a long distance.

torontoml

Hey so I've never bought a bike for myself and was hoping I could get some advice on what to look for. I think I'll probably get a mountain bike so I can use it on off road trails and the road. I'm not looking to spend $1000 as it's been a long time since I've used one and I want to make sure I will keep using it.

This is like the only place in town that sells bikes, I figure the $400-600 range is what I'm thinking or less if you guys think it will be fine. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories...ountain-bikes.html#lastVisibleProductNumber=2

Addnan

Got the bike workstand from the LIDL sale today. Seems quite stable with my bikes. And only £25 so worth trying.

I just can't risk my phone on a mount. They always feel flimsy as fuck. Then when a phone is worth an arm and a leg just too risky for me.

T8SC

Gold Member
Got the bike workstand from the LIDL sale today. Seems quite stable with my bikes. And only £25 so worth trying.

Is that the same one as Aldi sell when they have their "Bike specials" on? Probably a different brand but from the same factory. 4 legs that fold out? Or is it one of the ones with just two legs?

Never use my phone on a mount. The Garmin is on a mount, the phone is in my jersey pocket.

Addnan

Is that the same one as Aldi sell when they have their "Bike specials" on? Probably a different brand but from the same factory. 4 legs that fold out? Or is it one of the ones with just two legs?
It's 4 legs. Not quite setup properly when I took pic, the legs can go wider. No fancy 2 legged park tool.

This is the Aldi one, so quite similar looking at least. Aldi one seem to have 6 legs? https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-repair-stand/p/094556122809900

T8SC

Gold Member
It's 4 legs. Not quite setup properly when I took pic, the legs can go wider. No fancy 2 legged park tool.

This is the Aldi one, so quite similar looking at least. Aldi one seem to have 6 legs? https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-bike-repair-stand/p/094556122809900

Must've changed the model/style for the new Aldi one? Used to be 4 legs, my mate got one last year. They sell them on Amazon too if you search for bike stands, usually around £35 so better value at Lidl & Aldi when their specials are on.

T8SC

Gold Member
So, I'm looking at those Garming computers. If I mostly want directions (my orientation sense sucks), would a Garming Edge 25 suffice?

I'm pretty sure you need a model higher up the range to do navigation. The 25 doesn't include any base maps nor the ability to add maps from external sources. I think navigation & mapping etc comes with the 800 series & above. (Possibly included with the new 520, would need to check though).

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Man, looking at bicycle computers is a pain, as they are all geared towards training. I don't care (much) about training, I just want an easy way to get directions while cycling... Some of the cheapest computers are those that tether to your phone, but all the info I can find about step-by step directions are very vague. No, I don't care about live updates to strava, just tell me if I can use googlemaps or equivalent to get step-by-step directions...

Or should I start looking at cars GPS's?

*** Rant over ***

Man, looking at bicycle computers is a pain, as they are all geared towards training. I don't care (much) about training, I just want an easy way to get directions while cycling... Some of the cheapest computers are those that tether to your phone, but all the info I can find about step-by step directions are very vague. No, I don't care about live updates to strava, just tell me if I can use googlemaps or equivalent to get step-by-step directions...

*** Rant over ***

Strava supports this, but then you need to have your phone out and running all the time.

Bike computers with support for route navigation are always going to be training first. That tech is slowly moving downstream because 3-4 years ago you could only get nav on a $500+ Garmin. Now you can get it on 250/299 devices.

frontieruk

*** Rant over ***

The bolt will allow you to use Google maps for a point to point route with step by step via the phone app, not sure about a full circuit though.

When I tried to order direct from Wahoo I heard nothing for almost 4 days. I eventually emailed them and they said "Oh it's backordered" and let me cancel. I ordered it from another site and it got to me quicker than if I waited for the Yahoo fulfillment.

Teggy

Got my your order's been shipped email this morning. Hopefully you did too.

Ok, so what happened was I ordered a second mount, and even though the initial info said they would ship separately, it turns out they held the order for the backordered mount. So hopefully I'll get it next week.

kottila

Received my chinese oakleys and to me there is no difference with the real stuff (I'm far from an expert though). Logos where they should be and all the same papers. Unfortunately they don't fit my face as my nose bridge seems to e much higher up than normal peoples, so my gf bought them off me. Anyone here with the same problem and suggestions of brands that could fit better?

Top Bottom