• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

It's looking like one of the competitors on the Indian Pacific Wheel Race has been killed in a collision with a car, and based on who was where at the time, it could only really be one person... Mike Hall (this is yet to be confirmed).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/cyclist-killed-on-road-south-of-canberra/8403812

I'm utterly devastated. I only got to see the guy in person once, but as someone who does similar sorts of endurance events (on a much smaller scale), I feel like we're all part of a small community.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Teggy

It's looking like one of the competitors on the Indian Pacific Wheel Race has been killed in a collision with a car, and based on who was where at the time, it could only really be one person... Mike Hall (this is yet to be confirmed).

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/cyclist-killed-on-road-south-of-canberra/8403812

I'm utterly devastated. I only got to see the guy in person once, but as someone who does similar sorts of endurance events (on a much smaller scale), I feel like we're all part of a small community.

Wow, they cancelled the race although it will take them time actually track down the riders. They've been covering the race the last 2 weeks on GCN.

Mascot

Saw the news this morning. Truly tragic. He lived fairly locally to me too. I was reading a good piece on him very recently - his achievements were absolutely incredible.

Received my chinese oakleys and to me there is no difference with the real stuff (I'm far from an expert though). Logos where they should be and all the same papers. Unfortunately they don't fit my face as my nose bridge seems to e much higher up than normal peoples, so my gf bought them off me. Anyone here with the same problem and suggestions of brands that could fit better?

I feel like I've read this is a problem with Oakley's in general. There is an Oakley outlet near my house I've been meaning to go to and see what I can find. A friend of mine got a great deal of buy one get one 50%. Still not alibaba prices, but still pretty good.

Teggy

Ok, so last year, as a new cyclist I pretty much brute forced my way to my goals. This year I'd like to actually become a better cyclist so I've started using my trainer.

Today I started a beginner 5 week ftp improvement program on Zwift. The first day is about 50 minutes alternating between 115 and 155 watts at 90-100 rpm. The fact that I did deadlifts didn't help, but regardless I wound up bailing about halfway.

So how should I go about this? Just keep working at it until I can do it? How important is keeping that high an rpm? I can definitely keep up the power longer at 70 rpm. I guess I need to decide if I'll be cutting back on lower body exercises.

Addnan

These picture don't do it justice. The 25mm on these wheels are massive. When I was pumping the tyres I was worried something was wrong. They look more like 28mm!

imag0636tokh3.jpg

Ok, so last year, as a new cyclist I pretty much brute forced my way to my goals. This year I'd like to actually become a better cyclist so I've started using my trainer.

Today I started a beginner 5 week ftp improvement program on Zwift. The first day is about 50 minutes alternating between 115 and 155 watts at 90-100 rpm. The fact that I did deadlifts didn't help, but regardless I wound up bailing about halfway.

So how should I go about this? Just keep working at it until I can do it? How important is keeping that high an rpm? I can definitely keep up the power longer at 70 rpm. I guess I need to decide if I'll be cutting back on lower body exercises.

If you didn't ride at all this winter then this first time out is going to suck

Possible last year you just ground out and didn't think about rpm (do you have a cadence sensor?)

When reading training stuff most recommend an 85rpm minimum when not on inclines. You're going to spend more energy riding in a lower RPM. I feel 100x better when I can keep up at 95/100 on the bike trainer than when I'm at 80rpm.

FWIW I've found keeping a good RPM on a trainer to be a bit more difficult than when I'm outside. Either way just gotta mentally push yourself to turn those legs over. Make sure Zwift is using ERG mode when using their training program.

Teggy

If you didn't ride at all this winter then this first time out is going to suck

Possible last year you just ground out and didn't think about rpm (do you have a cadence sensor?)

When reading training stuff most recommend an 85rpm minimum when not on inclines. You're going to spend more energy riding in a lower RPM. I feel 100x better when I can keep up at 95/100 on the bike trainer than when I'm at 80rpm.

FWIW I've found keeping a good RPM on a trainer to be a bit more difficult than when I'm outside. Either way just gotta mentally push yourself to turn those legs over. Make sure Zwift is using ERG mode when using their training program.

Yes, I have a cadence sensor - in my outdoor rides I tended to have around an 80 rpm as higher than that felt a bit unnatural.

I did have ERG mode on - what does that mean exactly?

Yes, I have a cadence sensor - in my outdoor rides I tended to have around an 80 rpm as higher than that felt a bit unnatural.

I did have ERG mode on - what does that mean exactly?

It auto sets the power based on your pedaling. So rather than you shifting to meet power targets the trainer will apply resistance so you can just pedal. It's nice for training purposes

-SG

Any recommendations for alloy handlebars or is that another thing that will come down to personal preference? I'm looking to get something narrower after developing some tennis elbow-like symptoms on longer rides. Thinking of either the Ritchey WCS Evo Curve or Zipp Service Course SL70 Ergo. Is there any better way to see what works without just buying and hoping for the best?

Teggy

Another thing I am trying to get resolved before the start of the season is my sitbone pain. I finally tried out my Castelli bib yesterday and they definitely felt better than the thinner pad in the LG shorts. However, I'm still wondering if I am fully cushioning my sit bones.

I did a quick test on a bag of sugar today and it seems if I'm lucky my sitbones are on the outer edge of the pad. I'm by no means a large guy - about 5'10 and 180 lbs when I am in good shape. I should probably go back to the shop and sit on the Specialized pad thing to get a more accurate measurement.

Are there any brands known for extra wide chamois?

Addnan

Another thing I am trying to get resolved before the start of the season is my sitbone pain. I finally tried out my Castelli bib yesterday and they definitely felt better than the thinner pad in the LG shorts. However, I'm still wondering if I am fully cushioning my sit bones.

I did a quick test on a bag of sugar today and it seems if I'm lucky my sitbones are on the outer edge of the pad. I'm by no means a large guy - about 5'10 and 180 lbs when I am in good shape. I should probably go back to the shop and sit on the Specialized pad thing to get a more accurate measurement.

Are there any brands known for extra wide chamois?
Few pages back someone said BioRacer chamois are pretty big.

Got to get some ride time with my brother before the rain. So happy going to a full squish bike, but I'm pedal striking a lot more than I did with my hardtail. Need to lose some weight or pump more air into the fork and shock, lol.

This thing rolls over everything and the geometry of it makes it so easy to huck it, 27.5 plus really is cheating. I hit lines at speed I wouldn't take before and the bike just kept going.

tcZqQtnh.jpg

cVpewRkh.jpg

Got to get some ride time with my brother before the rain. So happy going to a full squish bike, but I'm pedal striking a lot more than I did with my hardtail. Need to lose some weight or pump more air into the fork and shock, lol.

This thing rolls over everything and the geometry of it makes it so easy to huck it, 27.5 plus really is cheating. I hit lines at speed I wouldn't take before and the bike just kept going.

BB could be lower on the softail compared to the hard.

I want to buy a bike for casual riding with friends on paved trails. My budget is around $500. I'd prefer something simple and maintenance-free.

I've been told to check out Priority bicycles because they seem to fit my needs above, but I've also been told to check out a local shop (Big Shark in STL) and not make a purchase online.

What do you guys suggest?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So. I have deced to buy the Garmin Edge Explore 820. Just one last question, are these kind of devices good for City navitagion?

T8SC

Gold Member
So. I have deced to buy the Garmin Edge Explore 820. Just one last question, are these kind of devices good for City navitagion?

I've never navigated around a large city, but they work well around small ones & towns. I know my old TomTom (Car Sat Nav) had a few issues around London so perhaps the Garmin will too in that kinda environment but, the TomTom was about 10 year ago, GPS devices have probably got better since then.

Hope that helps, maybe someone with a similar device living in a big city can shed more light.

Only thing I could see being an issue is the amount of buildings and possible points of interference. If your phone works ok with GPS then I'm sure the Garmin will be ok.

I just hope you're aware the GPS stuff is not typical route correction and re-directing stuff. They're more like cue sheets than anything else.

Addnan

Navigation in London with the 810 has been solid for me so far. I've been all around, right through the City of London where it's all huge buildings to the quieter bits and haven't had issues.

dedhead54

I just bought my first road bike (and first bike in general i've owned since I was a kid) today. It's a 1983 Schwinn Le Tour. I plan on using it to commute to work and just ride around town for fun/exercise. I'm pretty excited about it. It was pouring rain today so I only got to ride it for a second later in the day but it felt great. I will definitely be going back to re-read this thread now.

d6CfO2W.jpg

Teggy

I just bought my first road bike (and first bike in general i've owned since I was a kid) today. It's a 1983 Schwinn Le Tour. I plan on using it to commute to work and just ride around town for fun/exercise. I'm pretty excited about it. It was pouring rain today so I only got to ride it for a second later in the day but it felt great. I will definitely be going back to re-read this thread now.

d6CfO2W.jpg

Congrats. Those handlebars look kind of strangely pitched up, though. Your wrists would be in a very odd position on the hoods. You might want to rotate them downwards.

I want to buy a bike for casual riding with friends on paved trails. My budget is around $500. I'd prefer something simple and maintenance-free.

I've been told to check out Priority bicycles because they seem to fit my needs above, but I've also been told to check out a local shop (Big Shark in STL) and not make a purchase online.

What do you guys suggest?
anyone?

T8SC

Gold Member
First TT of the season and I forgot it was today. 🙈 Yesterday's WattBike session might come back to haunt me. 😂

Laekon

Are you fit and do you ride any where with hills? If it's just flat and really casual then the Priority bikes looks okay. Never heard of them before. If you need a gear range for hills or higher speeds go to a bike shop. Would recommend a Trek or Giant shop and look at the FX or Escape line.

With the online bike you can always (and probably should) bring it to a shop for a tuneup which is around $60 most places. It will make sure the bike is assembled properly and you won't need it again for a few years.

Addnan

Best suggestion is that you go to a local shop, especially if not sure what you want and see what fits you well and what falls into the budget. Some sort of hybrid bike would probably be your best bet if looking for simple comfort touring and if you wanted to do any light off road riding. If you wanted a road bike then the Giant Contend 3 with Shimano Claris is $600, but going to shop and getting a feel of what feels nice on your arse is a good way to start.

and regarding maintenance, bikes don't need that much maintenance. Just keep it clean and it will go perfectly for an age with little issues. The most you will have to do is clean it regularly to keep everything moving well and stop issues developing. Changing chain will probably be the most common maintenance other than cleaning and even that shouldn't be needed for quite a while. Then you can just get shop to replace it if not confident to do it yourself. Wouldn't cost much.

Hi Bike Gaf,

I have been out of the game for quite a while. Just have some questions.

I will be looking for an enduro/all-mountain (?) style mountain bike: one that is quite efficient on flats and uphill, but can take a reasonable punishment on downhills. I'm not expecting it to perform like a pure downhill bike (I've had a few), but it would be nice to have the option/confidence that it can take some drops/jumps. A good fork and brakes are important to me.

Something lightweight would be nice (30 lbs?), and I haven't tried riding on 27.5" or 29" tires yet (all my bikes are/were 26").

I'm guessing I'll have to spend maybe $3000-$3500 for a nice setup? Or am I off the mark? Last time I looked into bike prices I was kind of shocked by how much they went up (like top end DH bikes doubling in price...).

Thanks.

Laekon

Hi Bike Gaf,

I have been out of the game for quite a while. Just have some questions.

I will be looking for an enduro/all-mountain (?) style mountain bike: one that is quite efficient on flats and uphill, but can take a reasonable punishment on downhills. I'm not expecting it to perform like a pure downhill bike (I've had a few), but it would be nice to have the option/confidence that it can take some drops/jumps. A good fork and brakes are important to me.

Something lightweight would be nice (30 lbs?), and I haven't tried riding on 27.5" or 29" tires yet (all my bikes are/were 26").

I'm guessing I'll have to spend maybe $3000-$3500 for a nice setup? Or am I off the mark? Last time I looked into bike prices I was kind of shocked by how much they went up (like top end DH bikes doubling in price...).

Thanks.
Depends on the quality level you want. Plus shorter travel bikes are much more capable now cause of changes in suspension and geometry. For a real enduro bike at less then $3k you can look at the Giant Reign 2 or the YT Capra AL. Depending on where you live you should look up demo days for a few brands to see if you can get some rides in.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the valleys are obviously traffic stops. But what kills me in my commute is that 91M (300 feet) climb. I can go faster and farther going north, but going uphill is very tyring for me.

cdViking

Anybody have any tips for staying focused and motivated when coming back after a long break from riding? Work/life have been nuts the last 18 months, and I've fallen off of riding hard. I am extremely competitive and have been a way-front-of-the-pack cyclist/triathlete (peak W/kg FTP was somewhere between 4.2-4.3, and I'm a not emaciated 6'7"), but am badly out of shape for the first time in literally 16 years.

After a relatively solid 6 week cycle where I got back up to 8ish hours in a week and gained 5-10 watts each of the last three weeks on my 5x5' interval. Unfortunately my knees just yelled at me after, and I'm pretty sure I have tendonitis; thankfully I haven't pushed it since, but it's maddening to know I'm basically scuttled for any goals I had this year.

Already have had 2 bike fits (scheduled for a third), rode all Z2 for a six week cycle before adding intensity, worked on fixing bad life habits (ensuring 6 hours sleep/night and averaging 7, cutting back caffeine and drinking more water to avoid dehydration, diet, etc.).

Should I focus on building core/glute strength for awhile before trying to add volume again? How do you avoid getting frustrated by getting knocked down by injury?

Teggy

It poked above 50 F so I got out and did 10 miles on the gravel bike. This was my first ride of 10 miles or more since the end of September of last year :p Fitness level is pretty terrible right now.

Gears were also jumping all over the place. Need to sit down this weekend and re-index.

Teggy

You probably just went way too hard after doing nothing for so many months. Just back it off and chill.

I mean, I gained a ton of weight over the winter and have not been doing any aerobic activity, it was expected.

Been back on track healthwise since Feb (gym and diet) but it's going to take some time. I have exercise induced asthma as it is.

I mean, I gained a ton of weight over the winter and have not been doing any aerobic activity, it was expected.

Been back on track healthwise since Feb (gym and diet) but it's going to take some time. I have exercise induced asthma as it is.

Sorry, meant that for tendonitis knee!

Addnan

The rage when your Garmin crashes at 80KM. Damn. Ah well. Was a nice ride watching the sunrise this morning. In the moment was pretty annoyed.

Top Bottom