• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Test rode a Gary Fisher Menma, Bianchi Valle, and Specialized Allez Elite. Definitely preferred the Specialized due to the downbars and how much steadier it felt over the more upright bikes.

I don't think I need something as crazy as the Specialized but damn if I wasn't impressed with it.

All three are a bit out of my price range though, but I'm definitely narrowing down towards a downbar bike. Going to test out a Kona Honky Tonk in the future, too.

This is my current transportation. Recently given to me used by my cousin as a gift, it needs repairs...

What is bike gaf's opinion on this bike? Is it even worth repairing?

ch0mp

Looks brand new to me. Take it to your LBS and get a quote on the repairs it needs.. depending on the value of the bike decide it it's worth it to repair or replace.

Kraftwerk

okno said:
What ratio are you riding? I'm at 50/18, but would love to go down to 47/18.

I'll take a picture in a bit, but I'm riding an old Fuji Special Toure. Bought it for $70 off someone on Craigslist. The frame itself is in excellent condition (could use some paint touch-ups here and there), but a little heavy for my tastes, although still far, far lighter than my old Trek hybrid.

I have a little bit of a predicament, though... The bike is old, probably late '70s/early '80s old, and thus still has the same bottom bracket and crank and pedals it had when it was first built. The pin in my bottom bracket is worn down, which causes my pedals to be slightly uneven, and when I press down on the right pedal it makes a very audible clicking noise. I know I need to get a whole new crank system, but the problem is that what I have right now is so old and rusted that it might end up being more trouble having it removed and replaced with more modern equipment, and everyone I've talked to so far has told me I won't know how much it'll all cost until I take the bike in and let someone work on it. Do I just order the parts myself, and then have some disassemble and reassemble it, or should I just start looking for a new bike? I love the frame, but I'm also pretty poor. Anyone have experience with something like this?
Go to a bike shop and get a quote and a list of what parts you need.If you don't want to spend that much $$ on it you will at least get an idea of the problems/cost.Then head to a community bike center place.In toronto we have places like CBN and bike pirates.Most cities do have one or two i am certain.There you can get much cheaper parts for it and fix up your bike,they are used yes but at least decent and you will be able to ride.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thanks for the info, Liu Kang Baking a Pie. So the main difference is the extra shifters. I don't remember using my drop bars much (except for going down hill) on my last road back so I may stick with the 1.2.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I actually upgraded to the Trek 1.5 Compact.

trek-15-compact-2010-road-bike.jpg

It's nearly the same thing but with Shimano Tiagra parts instead of Shimano's lower-end Sora set. I'm not an expert on these things, but the immediately noticeable advantage of going with something that has Tiagra shifters is that you can shift up or down while in the race position on the drop bars, while the Sora has the little knobs on the top part that require you to be holding the bar on top to shift in one direction. Notice in the two pictures that the 1.5's shifters have a second black lever under the silver ones, while the 1.2's second levers are hidden up near the top.

Trek 1.5 goes for $1100 and the 1.2 goes for $880. I hate the placement on the Sora shifters on my cyclocross bike, so I decided to try for something better this time. It's nice to get on an empty road and just put your head down and fly, and to be able to switch gears easily going up and down a hill. I really can't speak about if the ride or parts are particularly better yet as I've only ridden on each bike for a couple days now. They feel about the same. It's one of those things someone with way more experience on road bikes could elaborate on.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Cuban Legend said:
This is my current transportation. Recently given to me used by my cousin as a gift, it needs repairs...

What is bike gaf's opinion on this bike? Is it even worth repairing?

Bikes of that caliber can usually be had for about $100 under various names at walmart and other similar stores. They are designed to be made as cheaply as possible so durability isn't very good. Bearings are very low grade, wheels bend really easy, brakes don't work very good, shifting won't hold any kind of tune, etc If you use it on a regular basis you're going to be spending more money fixing stuff than just buying a decent $300-400 bike from a bike shop honestly.

emomoonbase

reilo said:
Test rode a Gary Fisher Menma, Bianchi Valle, and Specialized Allez Elite. Definitely preferred the Specialized due to the downbars and how much steadier it felt over the more upright bikes.

I don't think I need something as crazy as the Specialized but damn if I wasn't impressed with it.

All three are a bit out of my price range though, but I'm definitely narrowing down towards a downbar bike. Going to test out a Kona Honky Tonk in the future, too.

The Honky Tonk is a cool bike, mainly for it's chrome moly frame which is kinda hard to find nowadays. Allez is gonna be sportier feeling though. One bike I think is a pretty good deal that I checked out recently was the Jamis Ventura Race. It's about $200 less than the Allez Elite and has really similar specs.

moto1.jpg

Just picked up a Motobecane Nomade, from a used bike dealer here in Chicago. He's an amateur bike mechanic, and fixed up decently. I'll probably want to get a new chain sometime soon, as someone replaced a few links at one point with pretty crappy ones. Other than that, I'm going to get new rims/tires for it sometime next year as the tires are a bit meh (but will last) and the chrome has blistered a bit on the wheels.

This bike is fantastic though, shifts like a dream and rides great. I'd say it was a pretty good steal at $145.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
excelforward said:
moto1.jpg

Just picked up a Motobecane Nomade, from a used bike dealer here in Chicago. He's an amateur bike mechanic, and fixed up decently. I'll probably want to get a new chain sometime soon, as someone replaced a few links at one point with pretty crappy ones. Other than that, I'm going to get new rims/tires for it sometime next year as the tires are a bit meh (but will last) and the chrome has blistered a bit on the wheels.

This bike is fantastic though, shifts like a dream and rides great. I'd say it was a pretty good steal at $145.
Awesome bike and a great deal. Now just get rid of that pie plate!

emomoonbase

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've got a nice road bike, bought a great Specialized a few years back, but now I'min the market to replace my aging mountain bike too. Thinking of buying something in the $1000 range. Recommendations?

Full suspension or hard tail?

xxracerxx said:
Awesome bike and a great deal. Now just get rid of that pie plate!

Oh, that wasn't my bike. I just snagged a photo off the web because they are the same model. Mine doesn't have the plate on there, and I don't have toe clips on mine. The pedals are just the kind with the metal grips on them to keep your feet from slipping.

emomoonbase

Seth C said:
35930_633251617003_48204954_36034819_2474677_n.jpg

That's my ride. An old Huffy Scout. But I only paid $9.50 for it.

I'm totally digging those short length fenders. I need to find some of those for my fixed gear.

Seth C said:
That's my ride. An old Huffy Scout. But I only paid $9.50 for it.

Needs some tuning.

Tighten up those cables, move the saddle horizontal & backwards, tape the handlebars, put some grease on chain & brakes... and you should be good to go!

Any recommendations on stationary trainers? I am not a hardcore cyclist, but biking is probably my favorite form of exercise aside from swimming, and it'd be nice to have an option for when it rains or when I don't feel like dealing with riding in traffic.

Right know I'm looking at this Schwinn Magnetic Bike trainer:

41F3EZHH2DL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-1031R-Magnetic-Bike-Trainer/dp/B000AAYC8G/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

It looks easy to use and the price is right. Any other suggestions?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I went with the Trek 1.2 because I had a lot of other stuff I needed to get with it. It is a lot faster than the 15 year old Specialized mountain bike I had been using. So much fun to ride. But the saddle is not so much in the comfort department. I guess I'll get used to it.

Thai

Bane was better.
Kraftwerk said:
I work at a cycle shop so might be able to help ya :D
If you want to get into biking for the reasons you described i would HIGHLY recommend spending around $500 and getting a Giant rapid.It's perfect for what you want to to do and the quality is amazing,since giant is the biggest bike company they can afford to make such good bikes at low costs.You can also upgrade it as you go along if you get more into biking.
heres the link http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/rapid.3/3875/36257/
It a light bike and no customer yet has had anything but praise for it.
Happy biking :D
p.s-if you still want to spend less try to find a giant FCR 3 on ebay/craigslist- the fcr is what the rapid used to be called 1-2 years ago so you will get it cheaper.

Thanks for this post, I actually bought a Rapid 3 this week. Loving it so far!

Only problem is the seat, my ass hurts like hell after 2.5 hours of riding it yesterday. Is it just a matter of getting used to it?

Gallbaro

Banned
Thai said:

Only problem is the seat, my ass hurts like hell after 2.5 hours of riding it yesterday. Is it just a matter of getting used to it?

Well, make sure your saddle is adjusted right, but yes your ass will feel raped for a week.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Thai said:

Just wear a butt plug that morning before you ride.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You just have to get used to the hard road saddles. You'll appreciate them once the initial soreness wears off and you can ride for hours in relative comfort.

Or you could get a reasonably small gel saddle and be comfortable forever and not live with chafed duckbutter.

When I rode the AIDS Ride, at the end of the day, the most fatigue you'd see was ass and wrist, even after 100 mile days. I'd roll in with ass and balls and wrists happy for the straight bar riding position. The weight benefits of a small saddle are ludicrous in comparison with hours of ass/ball comfort. You sweat that difference in an hour or two.

_Bro

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Or you could get a reasonably small gel saddle and be comfortable forever and not live with chafed duckbutter.

When I rode the AIDS Ride, at the end of the day, the most fatigue you'd see was ass and wrist, even after 100 mile days. I'd roll in with ass and balls and wrists happy for the straight bar riding position. The weight benefits of a small saddle are ludicrous in comparison with hours of ass/ball comfort. You sweat that difference in an hour or two.
Have to remember that if you're wearing a bib or shorts that they have padding built in. If you're going to be wearing those you don't really need a comfortable seat. I know I want to get rid of my only slight soft one for a much lighter, harder one.

The weight is also an issue for me since I have an old steel frame.

Speaking of my bike, I bought an Shimano Ultegra 6500 Crankset. Going to need to buy a new bottom bracket but I'll be getting a cycling club discount at the shop. New derailer too :(
Too much money.

Found out that to switch my shifters from down tube to anything is going to cost around $300+. Fuck

East Lake

Schwinn still make good road bikes? I know next to nothing about them but my uncle has a Varsity that he rides that's at least 30 years old.

East Lake

Really? What is generally the most reliable brand then, also is there a good forum dedicated to biking that anyone could direct me to?

_Bro said:
Speaking of my bike, I bought an Shimano Ultegra 6500 Crankset. Going to need to buy a new bottom bracket but I'll be getting a cycling club discount at the shop. New derailer too :(

Found out that to switch my shifters from down tube to anything is going to cost around $300+. Fuck

It's oftentimes not worth upgrading old bikes with new components in that way. Buying a new entry-level aluminum road bike is much cheaper... it already comes with the proper crank etc. E.g. a Specialized Allez or something.

Gowans

How the hell do I blow up this skinny valve with a little screw type thing on the end fellas? Got the right pump.

uncrew the little thingie on the valve so you can push it inward

attach the pump. usually this is done by pressing the valve into the attachment while the clamp is @ 90 degrees relative to the hose

straighten out the clamp on the hose attachment (again, this is the usual procedure, it differs from pump to pump)

pump the tube full of air

Gowans

Thats the one.

My pumps doing Jack shit n isnt locking, I can blow it up more with my mouth. Guessing it's new pump time.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I want to update my Trek 7500fx with another hybrid/upright riding position. I want to go lighter, simpler, but with mountain bike gearing. Any ideas? I saw a couple of nice Scotts.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Need a cheap bike (200-300$) for getting around campus (it's a hilly campus). Any suggestions?

Seth C

Exilexc said:
this is the kind of bike i actually want.

It's served me well so far. I road in the city's "Second Sunday" bike event yesterday. Was able to keep up just fine for the 20 mile course.

hgplayer1

my love for cycling is only outweighed by......well me.

If there was ever anything to get me motivated to get in shape it would be to get me a shiny new bike and start riding again.

I built a few back when I was a teenager and still have one of them though it was always a little tall for me.

love this topic though.

Zaphod

Just wanted to say hi to the real 2 wheel GAF! I started biking 2 months ago on my old huffy I bought when I was 13 with my lawn mowing money. I picked up a new trek 3900 as a for a quality starter bike last week and I love it. When I started biking I had trouble going 2 miles up hill. I just rode 18 miles around town on saturday. I'd like a road bike someday but the roads and trails are shit around here. I'm still in awe at how having bike that is made to fit my tall frame makes riding so much more comfortable. Anyway, go pedal power GAF!

-KRS-

Cool, a bike-thread.

No Crescent users here? I guess that would mostly be Swedes though.
I have an old Crescent city-bike in the lady style (yes, I'm European) with 5 gears that I bought cheaply last year, and so far I love it. It's the perfect size and it's really great for long rides. Well, on roads at least. Luckily there are bicycle roads pretty much everywhere in Sweden.

I don't know how old it is, but I'm guessing late 80s to mid 90s. It needs a little tune-up though, because I don't think the previous owner had done that for a few years. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

robox

Antimatter said:
Really? What is generally the most reliable brand then, also is there a good forum dedicated to biking that anyone could direct me to?

http://www.bikeforums.net/
seems to be the big one. i don't read often, just lurk from time to time when i need something.

ch0mp said:
Assuming you mean this kind of valve, undo the screw so it looks like this:
valvepro.gif

Then pump it up.

damn those presta valves. forced me to buy a proper bike pump when i learned i couldn't just pump up at the gas station.

Polk

720x450_transparent_mc_85_c78e9c5cddd956b7229f5b33cc8ecf4b.png

Bought this bike last week (Kross 2010 Hexagon V4). It's actually nice bike (I think). But man, I haven't ride bike in like last 15 years. First minutes were very strange, but at least people were right you don't forget how to ride a bike.

Antimatter said:

Bikeforums.net is the biggest one. It's decent. There's a lot of nonsense on there too, tho.

If you're a gearhead, head over to weightweenies.starbike.com for the latest on $$$$ road bike parts.

Pterion

GF wants to buy one, and force me to buy one too. I dread taking a bike with dirty wheels inside my apartment, and I don't want to leave it outside (had 3 bikes stolen as a kid/teenager). Oh well...

UGH. Just tried to patch a flat. The tube burst at the seam right next to the valve. I patched it then pumped it up. Right as I took off the Schrader/presta valve adapter, the tube burst again at the seam, on the other side of the valve. That was my last legit patch. arg.

border

IMG_0136.jpg

Got this off Craigslist for $75. I know nothing about bikes.

How did I do? I wasn't expecting much, but the lady I got it from said her husband was actually a professional cyclist so I'm thinking it might be kinda decent (though it was actually her son's bike). It apparently has an aftermarket Shimano gear system so that you shift not using levers or switches, but you just turn a grip that encircles the handlebars -- like revving or shifting on a motorcycle. I really like it, other than the fact that the seat is like sitting on a metal folding chair.

Anyhow, if it's actually a piece of crap, let me know (I don't really care).....if it's actually something awesome I'd like to know just so I can invest a little more in security.

Looks like a standard mountain bike to me. There's nothing wrong with it.

The best bike is the one you ride, and $75 is much better than the $500 or so you'd pay for a new one. Get a u-lock for locking and you're good.

A buddy of mine just got this over the weekend:

Cannondale Six Carbon 6
580_400_2941_sourceImage.jpg

And it got me shopping around for the road bike Ive been wanting myself...

Raleigh Record Ace
RA_2010_RecordAce_WhiteMetallic-LRG.jpg

With 2010 stock getting very very low and are starting to be sold at clearance prices and pricier 2011s are just around the corner (and with not much significant changes between model years)...I put a deposit down and the bike should be here as early as Wednesday.

Top Bottom