• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

HylianTom

Banned
I bought a titanium Airborne Lucky Strike mountain bike back in 1999. We've been through hell and back together, the decals are all but gone, but it'll probably last me a lifetime. Love this bike. Shame that they went out of business a few years ago.

I don't have pics of it, but someone has pics of theirs.

airborne_002_156.jpg

airborne_001_132.jpg

_Bro

Banned
I see GAF is gasping at some of the $500+ bikes. Figure I should show off the bike I'm saving up for
The webpage.

2vxg3me.jpg

Not sure what wheel set I'm going to upgrade to. Anybody have any good suggestions? What about seats?

Since they redesigned the website the huge list of options for customization have been lost. Thankfully the team (well, school recognized "club" that has a team) I'm on is sponsored by them and the bike shop we buy them through. Woo-hoo! 50+% off!

~$1000 away!

Then I can decide between a Lazer Helium helmet and a Giro Ionos. Or maybe I should upgrade my shoes since I really dislike the Specialized pair I bought.

Alucrid

Banned
_Bro said:
I see GAF is gasping at some of the $500+ bikes. Figure I should show off the bike I'm saving up for
The webpage.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxg3me.jpg[IMG]

Not sure what wheel set I'm going to upgrade to. Anybody have any good suggestions? What about seats?

Since they redesigned the website the huge list of options for customization have been lost. Thankfully the team (well, school recognized "club" that has a team) I'm on is sponsored by them and the bike shop we buy them through. [B]Woo-hoo! 50+% off![/B]

~$1000 away!

Then I can decide between a Lazer Helium helmet and a Giro Ionos. Or maybe I should upgrade my shoes since I really dislike the Specialized pair I bought.[/QUOTE]

Oh. When I clicked that like I thought, "The fuck? That's nowhere near $500." :lol

Congrats though, it looks very nice..even better with that discount.

40178_455679691076_733026076_6672760_1644738_n.jpg

Here's my new bicycle which I've also added a new cassette and chain, Fox Float R rear shock and new peddles. Got an issue with the front shocks now not rebounding... Grr looks like they'll need a rebuild. Money pit and a half! :lol

MightyKAC

Oh wow, I had no idea at all this thread existed.

Anyways, I'm looking to buy a bike for city riding in Japan. I'm probably looking at some pretty hilly terrain and I've also been thinking about buying a folding bike so I can ride it to a train then get off, unfold it and ride some more.

Any thoughts on folding bikes in general and which might be the best brands to buy?

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
TheProDaniel said:
40178_455679691076_733026076_6672760_1644738_n.jpg

Here's my new bicycle which I've also added a new cassette and chain, Fox Float R rear shock and new peddles. Got an issue with the front shocks now not rebounding... Grr looks like they'll need a rebuild. Money pit and a half! :lol

Hmm...I hope its not an O-Ring. If you are mechanically inclined, you can buy an O-Ring and fix it yourself, but it voids the warranty.

Get'sMad

It's Fall, aka the best bike riding season. Mostly ran during the summer...can't wait to get back on the wheels for some long rides.

Mœbius

Recently decided to get myself a new bike as I can realistically use it to commute to work (and I'm in a country with lots of bikes and nice riding areas), so this thread has been helpful. Went around to do some research yesterday and test rode a bunch of bikes - mountain, urban, road, hybrids; in the end I settled on this:

y1Juv.jpg

Renault R600 (it's actually manufactured by Giant here in Taiwan I believe), 12kg, Shimano RDA050 7-speed. Planning to go back and pick it up this weekend.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
pirateben said:
Recently decided to get myself a new bike as I can realistically use it to commute to work (and I'm in a country with lots of bikes and nice riding areas), so this thread has been helpful. Went around to do some research yesterday and test rode a bunch of bikes - mountain, urban, road, hybrids; in the end I settled on this:

y1Juv.jpg

Renault R600 (it's actually manufactured by Giant here in Taiwan I believe), 12kg, Shimano RDA050 7-speed. Planning to go back and pick it up this weekend.

That's a nice looking bike.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
modernkicks said:
It's Fall, aka the best bike riding season. Mostly ran during the summer...can't wait to get back on the wheels for some long rides.

Yeah, the weather has been perfect for riding, up here in NY, lately. Can't wait till the leaves start changing color... gonna be really scenic.

Ohhh, any recommendation on a good, relatively inexpensive bike rack to get? I have a dual suspension MTB, if that makes a difference.

_Bro

Banned
pirateben said:

y1Juv.jpg

7-speed still exists? I thought my 9-speed was bad.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Antagon said:
The Netherlands is almost completely flat. Dutch bikes are generally simple, durable and practical, but also heavy. Bikes rarely have more then 3 gears. This specific model is a womens bike with a low bar for dresses and skirts.

Good thing about Dutch bikes is that they're practical. They've always got chain guards, jacket protectors, mud guards and luggage racks. You also sit upright which is a bit more relaxed and gives a better view compared to other bikes, but obviously slows you down a bit more. People here wear their everyday clothes on them (or even go in full suit).

amsterdam_bicycle_suit.jpg

They're also extremely sturdy and low maintenance. I personally did somewhere between 20 and 30.000 miles (!) on a Gazelle with almost no maintenance except for fixing punctures tires. The luggage racks are also strong enough to hold another person.

Basically, they're great bikes if you want one to ride through a city and use it regularly for groceries and just small distances. If you want to do more, you'll need something else.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
From what I understand Dutch style bikes are heavy as shit. I can't imagine they handle hills all that well.

As far as recommendations, I'm new to commuting as well and I purchased a Trek Allant. (Pics in post #351) I absolutely love it. It's a really smooth ride and does well on hills. It's not the fastest bike (or maybe I'm not the fastest rider) but it does it's job. The fenders and rack come standard which is nice.
Thanks!

Mœbius

_Bro said:
7-speed still exists? I thought my 9-speed was bad.
Apparently it does! ;)

Seriously though, not sure why you're implying 7-(or 9)-speed is "bad" since that's entirely dependent on what the bicycle is being used for. Is it bad for using to go up a steep hill or similarly rough, uneven terrain: sure... as bad as the thin, high-pressured tyres and lack of shocks would be for that purpose.

Is it bad for a commute (which I mentioned is why I'm getting the bike), on a smooth even road surface: no.

_Bro

Banned
pirateben said:
Apparently it does! ;)

Seriously though, not sure why you're implying 7-(or 9)-speed is "bad" since that's entirely dependent on what the bicycle is being used for. Is it bad for using to go up a steep hill or similarly rough, uneven terrain: sure... as bad as the thin, high-pressured tyres and lack of shocks would be for that purpose.

Is it bad for a commute (which I mentioned is why I'm getting the bike), on a smooth even road surface: no.
Of course it is entirely dependent on what the bike is going to be used for. Seeing as how you and I use our bikes differently I don't see why your taking offense to my comment. I mean, it's not like you're pimping out your new Schwinn.

But hey, I'm not really insulting your bike, just amused by the fact that 7-speed is still around.

And this week is Interbike so my bad for looking towards the sky a little bit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Meh, I do it all the time.

I'm rolling around Chicago and there are alot of hipster on refurbished 70's, 80's fixies or road bikes.

We pull up to the same light and I'm looking at them and thinking, "Wow, what an old hipster ass bike."

They're probably looking at me thinking, "You're real smooth there X-Games."

And what really matters is when the light turns green and you both can go, "HEY FUCK YOU TAXI DRIVER." When one cuts you off and nearly sneds you into a row of parked cars.

S. L.

pirateben said:
Apparently it does! ;)

isn't 12g sort of heavy for a road bike? as a mountainbike rider i would consider 12~13kkg sort of the upper limit for a hardtrail

ChiTownBuffalo

S. L. said:
isn't 12~13kg sort of heavy for a road bike? as a mountainbike rider i would consider 12kg sort of the upper limit for a hardtrail

Yeah, but he's more looking for a commuter type bike. Lightness may not matter as much for him.

I have a Yeti 303 that rarely leaves the apartment. Which is actually a shame.

Antagon

Hopefully I can get a bike through my work soon. There's not much left off my current bike (using clip on lights because the normal lights are broken, brakes are shit, only got two out of my 3 gears left and one kicks through, wheels are somewhat bend, etc.) so I want something new.

I love this one:

gazelle-toer-populair.jpg

Though I personally wouldn't spend 500 euros on an every day bike (quite strange I guess, since I've bought an MTB for more then that last year which I use a lot less).

Also, 7 speeds / 12 kg for a bike you use for commuting in a flat area shouldn't be a problem, unless you've got a large distance commute. As a teenager I had to bike around 11 miles one way to school and did that on a 3 speed 20kg+ bike.

Antagon

modernkicks said:
I hope you wear a leather helmet and goggles while riding that.

No. I would almost put on a suit up for it though.

And I'm Dutch, so I won't be wearing a helmet anyway.

ChiTownBuffalo

It does look like is should be steampowered.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm riding around campus this year on this wonderful Schwinn urban bike that I got at a yard-sale for fifty bucks. I think its a late-80s early-90s model, and I love it. Dude bought it and never ever used it, so its in incredible condition.

Mœbius

_Bro said:
Of course it is entirely dependent on what the bike is going to be used for. Seeing as how you and I use our bikes differently I don't see why your taking offense to my comment. I mean, it's not like you're pimping out your new Schwinn.

But hey, I'm not really insulting your bike, just amused by the fact that 7-speed is still around.

And this week is Interbike so my bad for looking towards the sky a little bit.
Hey, no offense taken; I was just genuinely confused by the comment. Didn't mean to sound as defensive as I did - no hard feelings man.

S. L. said:
isn't 12g sort of heavy for a road bike? as a mountainbike rider i would consider 12~13kkg sort of the upper limit for a hardtrail
Yeah the 12kg did stand out to me compared to the slightly lighter weights of some of the other road bikes I saw (around 9-10kg on average), but as ChiTown said weight is not really a deal-breaker for me in this case.

BdoUK

I've been looking for a good deal on a road bike the past few weeks and found a 2010 Trek 2.3 on closeout at a local bike shop. Picked it up today and I'm really impressed! This is my first road bike (previous bike was a Trek 7.2FX hybrid) and the ease of which it operates is amazing.

I'm really looking forward to riding it around Lexington this weekend. The World Equestrian Games are starting Saturday and there is a new bike trail that leads from downtown to the Kentucky Horse Park. Should make for a good time!

qrme5c.jpg

cbox

Ok guys, time for a new saddle.

I rode about 230km back in june, and my poor testicles were destroyed (not literally) and I was in a lot of pain. My cousin used an adamo peloton and swore he never had a stitch of pain.

Has anyone used one before? I see some on ebay for around 120CAD, but i'm interested in some opinions before I bite the bullet.

Cheers

iamblades

eternal prize said:

I rode about 230km back in june, and my poor testicles were destroyed (not literally) and I was in a lot of pain. My cousin used an adamo peloton and swore he never had a stitch of pain.

Has anyone used one before? I see some on ebay for around 120CAD, but i'm interested in some opinions before I bite the bullet.

Cheers

That's not a saddle problem really, that's a 'package management' problem.

No matter what saddle you get, if you squish your balls up against it, it's going to hurt. Gotta get those guys up and out of harms way. Tuck em up towards your waistband.

I personally don't like those saddles with the split in the front like the adamo, all they really do for me is increase thigh chafing because they are wider. No matter how wide the gap, there will never be enough room for your package to not get smashed down there.

ChiTownBuffalo

eternal prize said:

Cheers

Are you wearing riding attire with the cushy man pad in it?

I was gonna call it manpon, but that's not how one may work.

Roofy

I'm looking to start a bike to school everyday (perfect timing with the cold weather :lol ) and im in need of much guidance.

The bike i have now is really heavy and uncomfortable so I want a bike that is both comfortable and light (preferably light, if this factors into your suggestions)

some info:
- its about a 20-30 minute walk from my house to the university (so probably not many long rides)
- budget is pretty open ended since i'll need to save for a bit regardless
- im in windsor, ontario, canada (flatest city in the world :lol )

Would it be worth it money-wise to order the parts and build it myself?

Thank you BikeAGE :D

ChiTownBuffalo

Roofy said:
I'm looking to start a bike to school everyday (perfect timing with the cold weather :lol ) and im in need of much guidance.

The bike i have now is really heavy and uncomfortable so I want a bike that is both comfortable and light (preferably light, if this factors into your suggestions)

some info:
- its about a 20-30 minute walk from my house to the university (so probably not many long rides)

I would recommend a Specialized Hardrock. It is a trail bike, but it's great for the city. It's rugged, can absorb any pavement irregularities and reasonably priced.

cbox

Ah yeah I was my ass padded tights :lol but I think that made it worse, tbh I didn't train with it on so at my first rest stop about 50km in, I was in pain. I'll give the sack management a shot next time I get on my bike.

pmj

Speaking of thigh chafing, how do you guys deal with the damage this does to pants? I spend half an hour to an hour on my bike every day and a few months of that treatment is all it takes for holes to form on each side. Now I just buy shitty cheap jeans because I know they'll have to be replaced in 2 months anyway.

I don't suppose there are saddles that are designed to be kinder to your pants? Or is this just something you have to deal with?

ChiTownBuffalo

For chafing of the thighs and junk, I use a chamois cream. And I always wear shorts with the man pad thing.

Roofy

ChiTownBuffalo said:
I would recommend a Specialized Hardrock. It is a trail bike, but it's great for the city. It's rugged, can absorb any pavement irregularities and reasonably priced.

thanks for the recommendation!

is there anywhere in particular that i should look into ordering it from? how much should it come out to?

Antagon

Roofy said:

some info:

Why do you want a light bike? If you're only going small distances and on flats weight doesn't really matter.

Roofy

Antagon said:
Why do you want a light bike? If you're only going small distances and on flats weight doesn't really matter.

it just feels really cumbersome and overly difficult to maneuver.

what would you recommend?

Antagon

Roofy said:
it just feels really cumbersome and overly difficult to maneuver.

what would you recommend?

Look at my other posts :lol

But yeah, a citybike (or Dutch bike like people often call them) would be ideal for you. They're heavy and slow (and yeah, a bit harder to maneuver but that's not a problem if you're not racing) but as I posted before, they're also incredibly comfortable and practical.

Personally I've got a shitty city bike (got it a couple years back for 10 euros, and it's a complete beater now, with tons of issues) and a decent MTB (Trek 6500, a year old in good shape) and unless I'm going to do a MTB route I always grab the beater. Simply because practicality and comfort beat out speed for everyday use.

_Bro

Banned
I know this is really bad of me but I'd suggest the urbanoutfitters for your bike needs if it's only a short distance. Since your using it to get to school you might as well have a tricked out, fully color-customized bike. Only $400, too.

Link

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nice thread, never noticed it before.

I have a specialized rock hopper with some nice customizations, it's super light and rides great. I bike more than drive, I love it, and I can get to work and downtown/some stores via Bike which is great. I dread winter, though, I hate having to stash it away.

olore

eternal prize said:

Cheers

I`ve actually considered the Adamo, it seems to make sense the way it is designed with the cutout where the artery is located that supplies the go-juice for the sausage. But, I bought a crazy expensive titanium-railed Brooks instead that hurtslike hell

robox

so it's the wet season around here. i was wondering if anybody has any pointers on waterproofing rider and bike.

Alucrid

Banned
Any tips about riding bikes in the city? I'm going to try it out a few days on one of my roommate's bikes to see how I like it. I just got want to be hit by a car on my bike or even worse my roommates. (Not that I'm a clumsy or inattentive person that is.)

r - b - x said:
so it's the wet season around here. i was wondering if anybody has any pointers on waterproofing rider and bike.
Fenders! Best thing you can do.

Otherwise I'm not sure. Wear a rain jacket? Maybe get some of those bootie covers for your shoes if you want?

Alucrid said:
Any tips about riding bikes in the city? I'm going to try it out a few days on one of my roommate's bikes to see how I like it. I just got want to be hit by a car on my bike or even worse my roommates. (Not that I'm a clumsy or inattentive person that is.)
Always assume people can't see you. Watch out for pedestrians and people getting out of their cars.

You should be assertive. If there's not much space take the lane at a light.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Hmm...I hope its not an O-Ring. If you are mechanically inclined, you can buy an O-Ring and fix it yourself, but it voids the warranty.

Pretty mechanical. Haven't done before but shouldn't be a problem. I'll pull them apart asap. They're second hand so I'm not worried about warranty.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just picked this up:

Yuvz1.jpg

2010 Gary Fisher Mendota. Fast city bike, disc brakes, mostly for riding Burke Gilman trail and tootling around. nothing heavy. Bike is light, fast, pretty and I love it so far. Need some clipless pedals and a bike computer. Didn't know what speed I was doing as I competed with lycra-spandex-carbon-fiber-road-bike guys at the weekend. They usually won, but I gave them a fright.

Top Bottom