• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BIG HERO 6 |OT| Like a Big Marshmallow

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIG HERO 6: |OT| Like a Big Marshmallow

Big-Hero-6-Movie-Poster-2.jpg

Walt Disney's 54th animated film, Big Hero 6, steps into the lore of Marvel to create an entirely original tale on the superhero team of the titular name. Taking place in San Fransokyo, a futuristic city that blends Tokyo and San Francisco architecture, the story follows the life of Hiro Hamada, a prodigious boy inventor and brother of Tadashi Hamada. After his brother's mysterious death, Hiro is left with the medical robot Baymax, his brother's prized creation. However, after a masked criminal steals advanced robots and threatens the city, Hiro pulls together a group of inventors like himself, along with Baymax, to build the technology needed to fight this menace as superheroes.

Setting: San Fransokyo

A futuristic blend of San Francisco and Tokyo, San Fransokyo promises to be a visual treat for moviegoers.Paul Felix, the production designer states "The topography is exaggerated because what we do is caricature, I think the hills are 11/2 times exaggerated. I don’t think you could really walk up them ... When you get to the downtown area, that’s when you get the most Tokyo-fied, that pure, layered, dense kind of feeling of the commercial district there. When you get out of there, it becomes more San Francisco with the Japanese aesthetic. ... (It’s a bit like) Blade Runner, but contained to a few square blocks. You see the skyscrapers contrasted with the hills." Though the film itself is NOT a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it has been stated that the city will contain more easter eggs than ANY Marvel film has had.

ProductionStill_forOnlineBright_FINAL.jpg

Characters

Hiro Hamada: voiced by Ryan Potter

A fourteen year old boy profficient in robotics, Hiro enjoys bot fights, a sport not favored by his brother who would rather prefer him to push his intellect and go to college. The relationship between the brothers is a deep theme to the movie and it its Hiro transitioning from boyhood to adulthood in a sense and him coming to terms with his brother's death that really pushes the movie along.

Hiro-Hamada-Big-Hero-6-Character-Poses.png

Baymax: voiced by Scott Adsit

Tadashi Hamada's robotic creation, Baymax, was designed as a healthcare companion. After Tadashi's death Baymax goes to help Hiro cope with his loss. As the story moves forward, Hir finds a much greater use for Baymax and using his genius, creates an armored suit for Baymax to wear and help fight against evil.

big-hero-6-character-rollout-baymax.jpg

GoGo Tomago: voiced by Jamie Chung

GoGo is the harsh, quiet member of the team. Addicted to thrills and adrenaine, she is a fan of hoverbike races using her own creations.

BigHero6GoGoTomago1200x800LSWaltDisneyStudios_article_story_large.jpg

Wasabi: vocied by Damon Wayans, Jr.

Wasabi is an extremely cautious and large member of Big Hero 6. Somewhat of clean-freak, he can often be the calm grounded voice of the group.

big-hero-6-character-rollout-wasabi.jpg

Honey Lemon: voiced by Génesis Rodriguez

An optimistic, and slightly chaotic genius, Honey Lemon envokes a cheerful air in the team. Her experiments mayseem mad, but they almost always are ingenious in practice.

big-hero-6-character-rollout-honey_lemon.jpg

Fred: voiced by T.J. Miller

A relaxed nerd of pop culture, Fred is both the mascot of the Sna Fransokyo Institute of College as well as a member of Big Hero 6. He has a fascination for building a robot suit reminscent of Godzilla.

big-hero-6_character-posters-1.jpg

Release Dates:

• United States - November 7, 2014

WillyFive

I adore the art style for this movie; and the trailers make it seem like it's hilarious. Hopefully Disney continues it's trend of awesome movies.

Hamlet

So hyped to go see this.
But like others here I'll have to be waiting till the end of December before it's released where I am.

overcast

Hyped! Looks like great fun. I've lost my initial love for Frozen a bit for sure, but for me Disney has been great since Tangled (that one being their best in a while).
Probably the most annoying man I've seen in a long while.
Yeah, dude bugs me too.

Monocle

This looks absolutely great. I saw a trailer for this movie a while ago and it instantly jumped to the top of my watch list. Really looking forward to it.

nick nacc

Banned
my son is terrified of the marshmallow man thing. Every time the commercial comes on he flips out. Its really funny

I'm just here to simply say...I hate the fact this isn't out until January in the UK.

Edit: What's worse, it is out at the end of January. hrrrrrmmmm

Hiro and tomago sorta looks like hiccup's girlfriend from HTTYD. lol.

well not look but my first reaction i thought it was her.

HAIRY BABY

Wanted to see it Friday but will be doing Interstellar instead. If we can't fit it in on Saturday I'm totes gonna go during next week.

So excited about this movie. I still can't believe that these guys already had their homemade costumes for the movie back in July (at Comic-Con). The Baymax costume even projected images on its chest!

hafwnOo.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I just got back from seeing it. A friend's sister worked on the movie so we had a group of 20-something's for release night.

Unfortunately, apparently no one had played Half-life 1, including me, but I'm still almost certain there was practically a Half-life 1 scene reference and quote at one point. It cracked me up.

Overall, it was a fun, flashy movie. Visually well done. The flying parts were especially neat. The characters were pretty likable.

WARNING SPOILER COMMENTS:
I was kind of surprised there were no obvious romantic pairings in the entire movie, just a bunch of random college students doing stuff.

Also, the movie was kind of like a Scooby Doo episode, except Shaggy wasn't matched up with Scooby, and the brother died which was sad. It was all the more sad because there was no need for him to die at all. Oh, and it seemed like Baymax should have deflated to push himself towards the portal. If they had time for an emotional crying scene, they had time to use air pressure to propel themselves! :p

jmood88

I just finished watching it and I loved it. I can't wait to see it again. I was pretty surprised at how much shit happened to Hiro; that kid for out through a lot over the course of the movie.

Screenboy

Can someone whose seen it post a summary of spoilers for this or PM me please? I have to design products for this and it doesn't come out here for another month or so...

RobbieNick

Just came from a 9:30 PM preview showing. My spoiler free review.

The characters were all well done. Baymax is by far the best character in the movie. Similar, to "How to Train your Dragon", the teenage sidekicks are still not as developed as the main characters, but at least are not as annoying.

As I said before, Baymax is awesome and very loveable.

The first half of the movie is way better than the second half.

The plot is kinda "Scooby Doo" and VERY predictable. Both me and my brother picked out plot points and figured out who the villain was way ahead of time along with some other predicable Disney tropes and I think a decent-sized plothole.

Overall 7/10 not bad, but my least favorite Disney CG movie since "Meet the Robinsons". This might make for a good animated series though.

jmood88

Oh and I was really surprised at how much I liked Fred. From the trailers, I thought he would be annoying but he was actually really funny.

addik

I watched it here as well, and it was amazing.

It's a bit more predictable than Frozen, but I loved it. I don't know if I prefer this over Frozen or Tangled, but it might look that way.

Also, to all those who are going to watch soon STAY AFTER THE CREDITS THERE IS A POST-CREDITS SCENE that is batshit insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom