• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big North Korean Military Exercise with Exploding Ships and Planes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackpot

Banned
Haha, those sound effects were added in post. i think I head some of the original James Bond movies in there.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
This sounds like my aunt giving a sermon.

And looks like my nephew did the post-effects.

Kinyou

The music, the cameras, the editing; It's like I traveled in Time.

It's also hilarious how it seems to be a trademark of communist countries that the leader always checks everything personally.

Flatline

Banned
They're really stuck in a previous decade. I knew this was recent but my brain kept saying to me that this is from the 80s.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They're really stuck in a previous decade. I knew this was recent but my brain kept saying to me that this is from the 80s.

More like 70's.

I wonder how much money they spent on that little exercise. They sure blasted the fuck out of the coast.

Casp0r

Banned
I really really really want N.Korea to fight us ...

Just so we can watch their most advanced prop planes get blown out the air seconds after they've even left their runway.

Then watch their super advanced tank army get blown to tinsy winsy bits by attack helicopters they can't even see.

Actually someone should make a movie about it instead, those fuzzy killcams attached to our jets are really low quality and usually censored and edited out.

I really really really want N.Korea to fight us ...

Just so we can watch their most advanced prop planes get blown out the air seconds after they've even left their runway.

Then watch their super advanced tank army get blown to tinsy winsy bits by attack helicopters they can't even see.

Actually someone should make a movie about it instead, those fuzzy killcams attached to our jets are really low quality and usually censored and edited out.

Uh... you understand that the problem with NK army is not that it would be obliterated to pieces by random 16-people US Army rangers squad but that it would obliterate South Korea BEFORE the Rangers can get there?

That's the problem.

Kinyou

Uh... you understand that the problem with NK army is not that it would be obliterated to pieces by random 16-people US Army rangers squad but that it would obliterate South Korea BEFORE the Rangers can get there?

That's the problem.
Yeah, bombs are still bombs, even when they are 30 years old.

That's the problem.

I'd imagine South Korea has a much more advanced military that the north, no?

The video quality and music track makes it look like something that was produced in the mid 70's to early 80's. It's like Soviet Union cold war era stuff.

North Korea are a nation living in complete denial.

I'd imagine South Korea has a much more advanced military that the north, no?

Not only does the South have access to substantially more advanced military technology, but it's also got double the population, an economy that dwarfs the north and a permanent US military presence. The North can't win, but it's not really the North that the US / SK was worried about the whole time, it's their Chinese (and Russian, depending on how far back we're talking) supporters. More recently, the additional threat of nuclear weaponry has made starting a war basically out of the question, even if it's unlikely to be an arsenal of devices miniaturized enough to fit on one of their long range missiles.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I like the stuff at 8:49 when the missiles are accelerating so fast that their onscreen for like 1 frame after detonation, and how we've come far along enough that weapons like that are probably considered low tech.

Then they do the live fire exercise and soon they are firing off their space rocket.

Which the Japanese already said they will shot down if it reaches Japanese territory. Should be fun!

I really hope this will get resolved, I might work in Seoul one day, and getting bombarded by artillery kinda sucks.

They don't have forcefields so the populace of Seoul will suffer greatly from the opening artillery barrages.

How long will it take for S.Korea to destroy artillery encampments in range of Korean cities? They need to be within 15-20KM range, correct? The missiles are more pressing matter. Wonder if US can keep planes in the air to keep shooting them down, probably not feasible though.

North Korea is so ahead of the curve. They've got that hipster vintage look to the film stock perfected, which is so popular right now with Instagram!

Kim Jong-un is going places if he keeps appealing to the youth like this!

I like the stuff at 8:49 when the missiles are accelerating so fast that their onscreen for like 1 frame after detonation, and how we've come far along enough that weapons like that are probably considered low tech.

It's called Katoucha... It's a weapons developped after world war two, before the fifties.

nyong

Banned
I love how the shoulder-mounted rocket sounds like a whoopsie-cushion and hits the plane at a perfectly horizontal angle. Must be one tall dude.

Angry Fork

Can anyone knowledgeable about this sort of thing explain why their camera footage looks so old? Surely they can import/steal new technology from South Korea or China or something? It's fucking hilarious I laugh every time I see modern NK footage. They're isolationists but the ruling class still imports booze, movies etc. why not get an HD camera too?

It's also hilarious how it seems to be a trademark of communist countries that the leader always checks everything personally.

Sorry to bring this up in these threads all the time but they're not communist. It's just a pet peeve of mine not trying to call you out or anything. The ruling class are totalitarian fascists. It's a copy of, if not worse than 1984.

How long will it take for S.Korea to destroy artillery encampments in range of Korean cities? They need to be within 15-20KM range, correct? The missiles are more pressing matter. Wonder if US can keep planes in the air to keep shooting them down, probably not feasible though.

it's almost impossible to destroy the NK artillery pointing at Seoul. most of them are in ridiculous massive bunkers(comparable to the german WW2 FLAK towers) or built deep into mountains.
NK's artillery may be old but it's the sheer amount which is so scary.

sidenote: but it's not everything "attack-style" in NK. Pyongyang is also rumored to be the best defended city in the world.

(White circles are active AAA sites in Pyongyang)
8r9N1.jpg

Ov9q6.jpg

Seoul AAA defense in comparison:
nDB0s.jpg

Can anyone knowledgeable about this sort of thing explain why their camera footage looks so old? Surely they can import/steal new technology from South Korea or China or something? It's fucking hilarious I laugh every time I see modern NK footage. They're isolationists but the ruling class still imports booze, movies etc. why not get an HD camera too?

I understand this is signal taken from NK national TV, not HD stream the goverment posted on YT.

Not only does the South have access to substantially more advanced military technology, but it's also got double the population, an economy that dwarfs the north and a permanent US military presence. The North can't win, but it's not really the North that the US / SK was worried about the whole time, it's their Chinese (and Russian, depending on how far back we're talking) supporters. More recently, the additional threat of nuclear weaponry has made starting a war basically out of the question, even if it's unlikely to be an arsenal of devices miniaturized enough to fit on one of their long range missiles.

The North Koreans aren't stupid, for all their backwardness they are quite aware that Seoul is roughly 18 miles away from the DMZ line. There are 25 million people living in the Seoul metro area, making it the second largest megacity in the world (the Tokyo urban zone is the largest). They have every single piece of artillery they have pointed in the direction of Seoul, if there was a war between North and South the North's goal would be kill as many people in Seoul as was necessary to force a cease-fire, even if that number was millions of South Koreans. The North holds all the cards in the standoff at the DMZ because they couldn't care less how many South Koreans would die in such a barrage, they would even resort to threatening using nuclear weapons on Seoul if they thought it could prevent an invasion.

At this point China would not back NK militarily if it came to an armed conflict. But they certainly wouldn't be helping anybody on either side either, which is why NK was so anxious to demonstrate they have nukes. As long as they can hold Seoul hostage, no one will ever go to war with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom